Paquiao 1 33.33%
Paquiao
1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM #1
atieah2009

atieah2009

Default The Official TIBB Boxing Thread - Paquiao Team Targets Mayweather

This is the official boxing thread, cast your opinions and thoughts about up coming matches.

Upcoming Big Fights: Manny Paquiao vs Angel Miguel Cotto - 05-12-2009, 9:00pm Sky Box Office.

Quote:
Manny Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach says he wants his fighter to take on unbeaten American Floyd Mayweather Jr after seeing him defeat Miguel Cotto.

Pacquiao, 30, stopped Cotto in the 12th round of their fight in Las Vegas on Saturday with a stunning performance to become a five-weight world champion.

It confirmed the Filipino's billing as the world's best pound-for-pound boxer.

"The whole world wants to see him fight Mayweather and I want Mayweather," said Roach after the WBO welterweight fight.

Pacquiao's victory over Cotto saw him complete an amazing 12 months in which he has defeated ring legend Oscar de la Hoya, as well as Britain's Ricky Hatton.

It took his record to 50 victories, three defeats, two draws with 38 knockouts to set up a potential clash with the world's previous pound-for-pound king Mayweather.

606: DEBATE
Manny is one of the best boxers ever, but there's a doubt in my mind if his sharp, quick hands can do anything to Floyd's defence

Macheda
The mercurial American returned to the ring from a short-lived retirement following his December 2007 victory over Britain's Hatton with a clinical unanimous decision win over Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez in September.

A fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather would have global appeal but the Filipino was reticent to talk about his plans for future fights in the immediate aftermath of his victory over Puerto Rico's Cotto.

"My job is to fight in the ring and I think that depends on (Top Rank's Bob) Arum my promoter to negotiate that fight," Pacquiao said.

"I'm just going to take a vacation first and spend time with my family and have fun."

But BBC Radio 5 live's boxing correspondent Mike Costello believes that despite the emphatic nature of his last three fights, meeting Mayweather would be an altogether different proposition.

"The great clamour will now be for this great showdown that everybody in boxing wants to see with Floyd Mayweather to decide who is the world's best pound-for-pound champion," said Costello.

"I think they'll come together on the money but it's going to be a very intriguing fight because Floyd's a technical fighter

Emanuel Steward
"If you look at Pacquiao's last three opponents - De la Hoya, Hatton and Cotto - then they don't offer anything like the defensive and elusive skills that Floyd Mayweather has.

"They also don't have the speed that Floyd Mayweather has. That's what makes it a fascinating match-up and that's why I would suggest that when it comes around it wouldn't be anymore than 50-50."

Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward was at ringside for Pacquiao-Cotto as a summariser for US broadcaster HBO and like Roach, sees only one logical next step for the 30-year-old Filipino.

"There's no doubt you have to go with Mayweather," said Steward.

"When you have a fight that's been made by the public more than the fighters, that's what happened with Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard.

"The public said we want that fight to happen and that's why it happened.

"I think they'll come together on the money but it's going to be a very intriguing fight because Floyd's a technical fighter.

"He knows how to wait back and box a little bit and it's going to be a lot different than it was against a guy who comes forward and is not that great on his defence."
Source

Last edited by atieah2009; 17-11-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Update
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 PM #2
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Think there's a fight tonight isn't there??ITV4...
Iceman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 PM #3
atieah2009

atieah2009

Yes the big fight live didnt see it, i watched Truscott Vs Simpson yesterday
Old 05-09-2009, 10:33 PM #4
atieah2009

atieah2009

Any one think Martin Rogan will beat Sam Sexton this time?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM #5
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Bernard Dunne fights soon enough, think i might go see it, should be an easy title defence........
Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 PM #6
atieah2009

atieah2009

Im so looking forward to John Murray vs Jon Thaxton this is a big test for Murrary if he is to make it to the "big stage".
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 AM #7

I hope Marquez destroys mayweather, i cant see it happening though..
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 AM #8
atieah2009

atieah2009

[rquote=2547513&tid=146871&author=30stone]I hope Marquez destroys mayweather, i cant see it happening though..[/rquote]

Neither can i and the sad thing is even if he does people will say that Mayweather only came back for the money and he didnt fight to his best, yata yata.

Thoughts on Manny Paquiao Vs Miguel Cotto
Carl Froch Vs Andre Dirrell
David Haye - Nikolai Valuev
Old 06-09-2009, 01:51 AM #9
Classic

Classic

My all time fave fights i watched live on the telly box..

Mike Tyson vs Frank Bruno (1989)

Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank (1993)
andyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 AM #10
atieah2009

atieah2009

Mike Tyson funniest man in the world lol unintentionally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwFW8...e=channel_page
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM #11
Classic

Classic

Haha gotta love Tyson.
He has one of them evil mean faces..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 AM #12
atieah2009

atieah2009

Yea lol how can i embed the video onto here, i love how he was saying to Lennox **** your mother i ****ing hate you im gona kill you im alexander, then after the fight sowy lennox sowy about everything i thwear i love your mothher praise be to allah! wtf does mike go on about fo real
Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 AM #13
Classic

Classic

Mike is a legend... He is also on the Simpsons*, Family Guy would be better.

*Aint the real Mike :-)

Lol yeah you have got his voice spot on.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 AM #14
atieah2009

atieah2009

worth a good bet the mayweather vs marquez match
Old 13-09-2009, 08:30 PM #15
GET OFF MY STAGE!

GET OFF MY STAGE!

Manny Paquiao Vs Miguel Cotto - I want Cotto to win, but i fear Paquiao will pick him off - Points victory.
Carl Froch Vs Andre Dirrell - I dont like Froch for some reason, he will win though - Stoppage.
David Haye Vs Nikolai Valuev - Haye will win, i wish he would start reppin Jamaica on his shorts though - Points victory.

Oh, and Mayweather will beat Marquez by stoppage.
AfroMullet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 07:42 PM #16
atieah2009

atieah2009

[rquote=2568622&tid=146871&author=AfroMullet]Manny Paquiao Vs Miguel Cotto - I want Cotto to win, but i fear Paquiao will pick him off - Points victory.
Carl Froch Vs Andre Dirrell - I dont like Froch for some reason, he will win though - Stoppage.
David Haye Vs Nikolai Valuev - Haye will win, i wish he would start reppin Jamaica on his shorts though - Points victory.

Oh, and Mayweather will beat Marquez by stoppage.[/rquote]

Thanks mate for your reply, btw i think Paquiao will knock out in the later rounds, and i think Carl Froch will win by points and David Haye certainly should should win and he reps Cyprus because i think he lives there, anyway what channel you think Manny Paquiao vs Miguel Cotto going to be on here in uk, i think espn since Bob Arum will be promoting!
Old 15-09-2009, 08:36 PM #17
GET OFF MY STAGE!

GET OFF MY STAGE!

Yeah i know he got his training camp there but its like he only lives there, he is half Jamaican but nothing! LOL, anyway yeah most likely ESPN. And if Cotto can hold it down and nopt get knocked out i'll be happy with him, win or loose.
AfroMullet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:38 PM #18
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Olympic medal-winning boxer Darren Sutherland was found dead at home by his manager on Monday.

The 27-year-old, who won a bronze for Ireland at the 2008 Games in Beijing, was found in his flat in Bromley, south London, by Frank Maloney.

In a statement, the boxing promoter said: 'It is very sad and unexpected.

'At this sad time my thoughts are with Darren's family and I hope their privacy at this very difficult time will be respected by the media.

'It is a tragedy for Ireland and the world of boxing.'

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said Sutherland was pronounced dead at just after 3pm. His death is not being treated as suspicious. His family have been informed.

The fighter made his professional debut in Dublin last December, winning by a knockout.

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Martin Cullen offered condolences to Sutherland's family.

'The death of Darren is a great personal loss to them and to his many friends,' the minister said.

'The tremendous effort and determination of this young man brought immense pride to Ireland in Beijing in 2008 when he joined a very select group of men who have won an Olympic medal for Ireland.

'It takes work, effort, desire and dedication to be a champion - qualities Darren had in abundance.'

Mr Cullen said Sutherland had grabbed the challenge of turning pro with great enthusiasm.

'Ireland has lost a sportsman of wonderful ability, a clever and popular man with a future of real potential.

'His early death deprives us of a magnificent talent.'

Sutherland turned pro and joined the Maloney camp after bronze medal success in the Beijing Olympics last year.

He was one of the leading lights on the Irish boxing scene in the four years before the Games and regarded as one of the best talents coached under the Irish Sports Council's high performance unit.

Sutherland had trained as a boxer in his teens, joining the famous Brendan Ingle gym in Sheffield before giving up the sport.

He returned while studying sports science at Dublin City University in 2004.

He announced his plans to turn pro last October at the college where he also won his professional debut.

Boxing insiders described him as an intelligent, articulate and ambitious man with a love of music and films.

His stated goal was to win a world super-middleweight title.

'I want to go all the way,' he said on the day he turned pro.

'There's no point starting out if you don't believe you can win a world title. That's where I want to go.'

Under Maloney's guidance and based in London, Sutherland was being fast-tracked to the top ranks of the pro-circuit.

Sutherland was also the focus of a documentary film, Saviours, based around the amateur boxing club in north inner city Dublin, St Saviour's.

Had potential to be a World Champion, quite a sad day for irish boxing......RIP
Old 15-09-2009, 08:39 PM #19
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

RIP Sutherland.

Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 08:48 PM #20
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

[rquote=2572258&tid=146871&author=Lauren]RIP Sutherland.

[/rquote]

He must have been real down, I mean he won his last 4 fights, going great, poor guy....
Old 15-09-2009, 08:49 PM #21
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

[rquote=2572296&tid=146871&author=Iceman][rquote=2572258&tid=146871&author=Lauren]RIP Sutherland.

[/rquote]

He must have been real down, I mean he won his last 4 fights, going great, poor guy....[/rquote]

Probably the pressure of trying to go all the way, poor guy Always feel terrible for suicides...
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 09:06 PM #22
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

[rquote=2572298&tid=146871&author=Lauren][rquote=2572296&tid=146871&author=Iceman][rquote=2572258&tid=146871&author=Lauren]RIP Sutherland.

[/rquote]

He must have been real down, I mean he won his last 4 fights, going great, poor guy....[/rquote]

Probably the pressure of trying to go all the way, poor guy Always feel terrible for suicides...[/rquote]

Yeah poor lad, he was really good aswell....

not too many good irish Boxers around now only Bernard Dunne and Egan....
Old 16-09-2009, 02:22 PM #23
atieah2009

atieah2009

[rquote=2572357&tid=146871&author=Iceman][rquote=2572298&tid=146871&author=Lauren][rquote=2572296&tid=146871&author=Iceman][rquote=2572258&tid=146871&author=Lauren]RIP Sutherland.

[/rquote]

Probably the pressure of trying to go all the way, poor guy Always feel terrible for suicides...[/rquote]

Yeah poor lad, he was really good aswell....

not too many good irish Boxers around now only Bernard Dunne and Egan....[/rquote]

omfg im shocked reading this, wtf!!! and he did suicide! noo!
Old 18-09-2009, 04:15 PM #24
Banned

Banned

Eh, first off he was Irish, not British.

And secondly, yes it's very very sad.
setanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 04:35 PM #25
atieah2009

atieah2009

[rquote=2589651&tid=146871&author=setanta]Eh, first off he was Irish, not British.

And secondly, yes it's very very sad.[/rquote]

ooh my bad.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
boxing, mayweather, official, paquiao, targets, team, thread, tibb