Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 21-09-2009, 02:26 PM #76

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

[rquote=2595568&tid=147768&author=alc09]Your clueless mate, absolutely ****ing clueless.

Oh dear, I have just noticed how many posts you have.

You must have one very, very sad life.

[/rquote]

nah you're clueless and my posts are mainly because of big threads thanks, and I'm nowhere near the top poster, I have a great life thanks

Looks like you're getting petty now because you've got nout else to go on
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 02:45 PM #77
Banned

Banned

[rquote=2594091&tid=147768&author=MassiveTruck][rquote=2593973&tid=147768&author=setanta]You're backtracking Tom. You disagreed about his legacy and the influence he's had on this generation, calling his music s"it and unoriginal too. [/rquote]

But it's not his legacy is it. It's Quincy Jones I think but since Thriller he hasn't done anything as great and Bad was a very good album but not as great. I don't think he transformed anything to be sure.

I find a lot of what he did a natural progression from what was happening in New York at the time - but in this case Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones had the backing of record companies and with it, lots and lots of money as well.

Overall, you have to question Michael's input on the album too because he worked more as a performer at the time and Quincy Jones was so frustrated with him he (allegedly) beat him up to get him back in the studio.

Overall, apart from Billie Jean - the rest of the album are very good pop songs at best. The only classic on the whole album is Billie Jean which doesn't really make it a great album or iconic.

I think he had hit heights like he has by becoming a form of idol for a lot of people.

With the help of creating one of the most expensive videos of all time... he became iconic but I don't think a lot of it has to do with the music. It was hugely financed publicity campaign built on the back of the boom on Wall Street and all the money that was available at the time.

[/rquote]

I think you're allowing your own feelings towards his music overshadow the reality of his huge contribution to music and popular culture. Sure, Quincy Jones was an incredible producer but should you discount the Beatles because of the huge impact George Martin had on them, or Elton John because of his working relationship with Bernie Taupin?

Was Quincy Jones there when Michael Jackson was first introduced to us on tv with the Jackson 5, as he strutted around with a natural magnetism and gift for performing? Watch those clips back- he was already in possession of the kinda star quality that can't be bottled up and sold off to the highest bidder. He had a God given talent that anyone who saw him perform live will testify to. Seriously, he was the next Elvis in how he captured the imaginations of the public and crossed racial barriers with his music.
setanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 04:20 PM #78

[rquote=2595781&tid=147768&author=Tom][rquote=2595568&tid=147768&author=alc09]Your clueless mate, absolutely ****ing clueless.

[/rquote]

have a great life thanks

[/rquote]
13641 posts on an internet forum based around Big Brother suggests otherwise.

alc09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 06:11 PM #79

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[rquote=2596139&tid=147768&author=alc09][rquote=2595781&tid=147768&author=Tom][rquote=2595568&tid=147768&author=alc09]Your clueless mate, absolutely ****ing clueless.

[/rquote]

have a great life thanks

[/rquote]
13641 posts on an internet forum based around Big Brother suggests otherwise.

[/rquote]

As does being here for 2 years and posting in threads that don't just require one comment (ie conversation threads). check my post history and see how many posts are in either the den or the brotherhood thread ... and I'm nowhere near the top poster anyway, go and moan at people who have 18000+
Old 21-09-2009, 06:23 PM #80

13647 posts suggests you need to get a life.

Forum most active in: Big Brother 10 (2796 Posts) [20.5% of total posts]

haha grow up
Old 21-09-2009, 06:32 PM #81

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I already have a life thanks, its you that needs to get one
Old 23-09-2009, 07:21 AM #82
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie
Da Muthaflippin

Favourites (more):
UBB: Brian
BB11: Josie

[rquote=2591493&tid=147768&author=MassiveTruck][rquote=2586359&tid=147768&author=Iceman][rquote=2586350&tid=147768&author=Lauren]I don't think I've ever heard anyone doubt his contribution to music.[/rquote]

Yeah ive never heard anyone talk bad about his music...[/rquote]

I've heard loads of people doubt his music and his contribution as well.

Just melody slave are most of his songs and he's iconic due to the massive publicity campaign around the Thriller and Bad videos.

I like the songs, some of them are great but I think he's a pop icon, owing a great deal to publicity and marketing.[/rquote]

Bang on right
NettoSuperstar! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 07:55 AM #83

I didnt want to post on this thread, as it seems like such an obvious statement. Its like saying, the sky is blue. But some back and forth caught my eye.
I cant believe some of you guys argue the obvious known fact. Great posts for some, and kudos to giving your knowledge about MJ. But recognize when someone is arguing just for argument sake. Some people go out of their ways to disagree with everything, even if they dont really know anything about the subject. Its a game people who really have nothing better to do, play to entertain themselves. Please dont indulge them.

Anyways, is MJ a legend? IS there any question? Did you not see the effect his passing had? There has never been anything like it. For whatever reason Michael had the ability to touch people, with his music, soul, and just by his presence. Obviously not everyone. BUt no one can touch him, when it comes to the influence he has had, and the amount of love and dedication he receives from his fans. That makes people very envious. MOst people who dislike Michael, do because they cant understand how someone can create such hysteria. So they resort in petty comments trying to deny his genious with no basis whatsoever. Let them live, the insignificant amount of those people, just confirms his stature.

Anyways, the haters will be in for a shock once again, on October 27, when the "this is it" Documentary breaks all the box office records in every country. (Mark my words, it will happen). While alive Michael was a genius. Now that he is gone, I cant even really put into words, the level of his stature.
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 08:10 AM #84

[rquote=2594091&tid=147768&author=MassiveTruck][rquote=2593973&tid=147768&author=setanta]You're backtracking Tom. You disagreed about his legacy and the influence he's had on this generation, calling his music s"it and unoriginal too. [/rquote]

But it's not his legacy is it. It's Quincy Jones I think but since Thriller he hasn't done anything as great and Bad was a very good album but not as great. I don't think he transformed anything to be sure.

I find a lot of what he did a natural progression from what was happening in New York at the time - but in this case Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones had the backing of record companies and with it, lots and lots of money as well.

Overall, you have to question Michael's input on the album too because he worked more as a performer at the time and Quincy Jones was so frustrated with him he (allegedly) beat him up to get him back in the studio.

Overall, apart from Billie Jean - the rest of the album are very good pop songs at best. The only classic on the whole album is Billie Jean which doesn't really make it a great album or iconic.

I think he had hit heights like he has by becoming a form of idol for a lot of people.

With the help of creating one of the most expensive videos of all time... he became iconic but I don't think a lot of it has to do with the music. It was hugely financed publicity campaign built on the back of the boom on Wall Street and all the money that was available at the time.

[/rquote]

Does that not say it all on how clueless some people are on this thread. Billy Jean was definitely not a great record at all!!

Anyways, for the record, I think Michael Jackson's best album, was Dangerous. If you ask most real Michael Jackson fans, they will tell you the same. But thriller sold a lot more, and was groundbreaking. But you have to actually listen to the songs to know that. I suspect most naysayers, only know Michaels huge hits. But When you know his whole catalog, its a different story.
Old 23-09-2009, 11:01 AM #85

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

[rquote=2600145&tid=147768&author=Aint_mad_atcha]I didnt want to post on this thread, as it seems like such an obvious statement. Its like saying, the sky is blue. But some back and forth caught my eye.
I cant believe some of you guys argue the obvious known fact. Great posts for some, and kudos to giving your knowledge about MJ. But recognize when someone is arguing just for argument sake. Some people go out of their ways to disagree with everything, even if they dont really know anything about the subject. Its a game people who really have nothing better to do, play to entertain themselves. Please dont indulge them.

Anyways, is MJ a legend? IS there any question? Did you not see the effect his passing had? There has never been anything like it. For whatever reason Michael had the ability to touch people, with his music, soul, and just by his presence. Obviously not everyone. BUt no one can touch him, when it comes to the influence he has had, and the amount of love and dedication he receives from his fans. That makes people very envious. MOst people who dislike Michael, do because they cant understand how someone can create such hysteria. So they resort in petty comments trying to deny his genious with no basis whatsoever. Let them live, the insignificant amount of those people, just confirms his stature.

Anyways, the haters will be in for a shock once again, on October 27, when the "this is it" Documentary breaks all the box office records in every country. (Mark my words, it will happen). While alive Michael was a genius. Now that he is gone, I cant even really put into words, the level of his stature.[/rquote]

People aren't arguing against his legacy which is undeniable, personally I'm questionning his influence, I genuinely don't believe it is not as good as people think. And MassiveTruck seems to be questionning whether he was as talented as people believe or was he just a product of clever marketing? But it will be clever marketing which will smash records as you say, it has effectively had a 4 month long promo with 3 months before that, plus his pulling power. So its not for the reasons you say people dislike him at all ... personally I dislike him because I find him incredibly overrated with a dodgy personal life. It doesn't make for a good role model imo.
Old 23-09-2009, 02:05 PM #86

Just thought I would post this video. Its well old school from 1974. BUt it shows how ahead of his time MJ was, at 15. Some of the moves on there people started doing that in mainstrem, in the 80's. And some in the 2000 from 2:05 to like 2:10. LOL! I thought those moves were so new and cool just a few years ago.
The more I watch his old performances, the more I am amazed on his influence in modern culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2OsUcgb00
Old 23-09-2009, 02:47 PM #87
ad augusta per angusta

ad augusta per angusta

[rquote=2600148&tid=147768&author=Aint_mad_atcha]

Does that not say it all on how clueless some people are on this thread. Billy Jean was definitely not a great record at all!!

Anyways, for the record, I think Michael Jackson's best album, was Dangerous. If you ask most real Michael Jackson fans, they will tell you the same. But thriller sold a lot more, and was groundbreaking. But you have to actually listen to the songs to know that. I suspect most naysayers, only know Michaels huge hits. But When you know his whole catalog, its a different story.[/rquote]

Billie Jean is one of the most if not the most successful song released by Michael Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gles_worldwide

Actually it is his most successful song. It wasn't even a title tracker like Black or White was - it was released second from Thriller.

I know all his catalogue by the way. In the grander scheme of things, he wasn't all that.
MassiveTruck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 02:49 PM #88

he took drugs traffic
arsenalforever is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 03:26 PM #89

[rquote=2600752&tid=147768&author=MassiveTruck][rquote=2600148&tid=147768&author=Aint_mad_atcha]

Anyways, for the record, I think Michael Jackson's best album, was Dangerous. If you ask most real Michael Jackson fans, they will tell you the same. But thriller sold a lot more, and was groundbreaking. But you have to actually listen to the songs to know that. I suspect most naysayers, only know Michaels huge hits. But When you know his whole catalog, its a different story.[/rquote]

Billie Jean is one of the most if not the most successful song released by Michael Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gles_worldwide

Actually it is his most successful song. It wasn't even a title tracker like Black or White was - it was released second from Thriller.

I know all his catalogue by the way. In the grander scheme of things, he wasn't all that.[/rquote]

LMAO, I was obviously being sarcastic. And did you just direct me to Wikipedia for some info about Michael jackson? You may need wiki, but I certainly dont in this subject.
Actually I meant Thriller the album. My point being, you made the most clueless statement I have ever seen, saying that The other songs in Thriller, apart from Billy Jean werent that great. That says it all about what you know.
Done now!
Old 23-09-2009, 05:25 PM #90

Jacko is the greatest - yes he had a well...strange....personal life but when it comes to music - absolute brilliance and the best by far.

King Of Pop

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
jackson, legend, michael, true