Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 PM #1
I'm back! :-)

Default Doug's Top 15 Albums of 2009

I always find it interesting reading these topics so I thought I'd create one meself.

In order 15-1:

NERINA PALLOT - THE GRADUATE
It's only a 10 track album but this comeback is brilliant from her. Her last album was a bit patchy in places but this is very consistent. You should definitely download 'Real Late Starter' and 'Everything's Illuminated'.

GOLDEN SILVERS - TRUE ROMANCE
The indie band haven't broken through in the UK charts yet but they have a lot of potential. Just listen to the title track 'True Romance', there is nothing like it!

THE CRIBS - IGNORE THE IGNORANT
I've loved the Cribs since their last album 'Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever' so this was a high anticipated comeback for me. It's a great album, not as good as their prior (mainly because it was in the hiatus of the catchy indie era in 2007) but it's a consistent effort. Must listen to 'Last Year's Snow' and 'We Share The Same Skies'.

THE SATURDAYS - WORDSHAKER
My opinions of the Satz have varied this year but I have recently enjoyed this album a bit more than when it was released. Not as good as their debut but there are a few catchy songs on there such as the under-rated 'Ego' and 'Lose Control'.

DEMI LOVATO - HERE WE GO AGAIN
Just missing out in my top 10 is Demi Lovato who has had a great year - in America - with the success of her 2nd album. I only just discovered her song 'Remember December' recently and had to listen to the album. Great effort, though may not be for everyone. Also, check out 'Solo'.

.................................................. ...................................

RIHANNA - RATED R
Was far from keen on the comeback single 'Russian Roulette' when I first heard it but have grown to love it, just like the album itself. It is clear that Rihanna had a lot of input and ideas for this album and credit to her (and her writers/producers) - it has worked. I can't stop playing 'Hard', 'Wait Your Turn' and 'Fire Bomb'. I prefer this to GGGB which I became bored of quite easily.

LITTLE BOOTS - HANDS
I didn't warm to this album at all at first, it never really caught me. But the more I listen to it the more I like it. I prefer it to Lady Gaga because it hasn't been overplayed - I think Lady Gaga is fantastic but 'too much of anything can make you sick'. Anyway, this album is packed full of gems, like 'Mathematics', 'Earthquake', 'Hearts Collide' and 'Stuck On Repeat'. I even love the first single 'New In Town' which was slated quite harshly when released.

ALEXANDRA BURKE - OVERCOME
Fantastic album. Probably my favourite from an X Factor winner infact. Her vocals are really strong on the album too and in comparison to her live vocals you can tell it hasn't been auto-tuned to death. Though it will be interesting to see what she comes up with next. It's a bit frustrating that her sales are about half (?) of JLS's album because in all fairness, their album is very weak and er, crap. And I like JLS too. My favourite songs are 'You Broke My Heart', 'Broken Heels', 'Hallelujah' and 'Good Night Good Morning'.

PALOMA FAITH - DO YOU WANT THE TRUTH OR SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL?
Stunning album, there's not a song to dislike. She is also very interesting as a person and not your typical girly singer. An album like this sounds old fashioned but fresh at the same time which is hard to achieve. It will remain timeless. Here's to a successful 2010 for her. Best listens are 'Smoke & Mirrors', 'Upside Down' and 'Stone Cold Sober'.

METRO STATION - METRO STATION
I can see why people would not like this album as it does not have a definitive genre. Is it pop? Is it rock? Is it electro? Or is it dance? It's a bit confusing. Lead single 'Shake It' is about the rockiest song on there where the rest is a bit emo pop. I'm not an emo myself but I think the album as a whole is very catchy, fun and upbeat which are my favourite things to have from music. MY favourites off the album are 'Control', 'Tell Me What To Do' and 'Now That We're Done'.

.................................................. ....................................

KELLY CLARKSON - ALL I EVER WANTED
A very catchy album. I go through phases of listening to albums on repeat and I have had four phases throughout 2009 with this album. I just keep coming back to it. I think Kelly has an amazing voice, one you don't become easily bored with. I think I prefer this album to 'Breakaway' as I have listened to it more. It's ashame though because I wouldn't call this album ground-breaking or particularly unique... it's just very good on the ears. I really love 'My Life Would Suck Without You', 'Impossible', 'Whyyawannabringmedown' (lol at the title), 'I Do Not Hook Up' and title track 'All I Ever Wanted'. Bigger or not, Kelly is a star.

PARAMORE - BRAND NEW EYES
This surprised me. I thought their previous album was all over the place - though enjoyable. So when I bought this album I was so pleased at it's consistency. I love when an album is consistent. It means you can stick your headphones on and not have to change the song. All the songs on this album are really strong and meaningful. The best ones are 'Brick By Boring Brick', 'Decode, 'All I Wanted', 'The Only Exception' and 'Careful'.

JACK PENATE - EVERYTHING IS NEW
Loved debut album 'Matinee' though it was patchy. Then I listen to this album and it is completely different to his debut. Bad thing? **** no. It's brilliant! The production and drums in the album are amazing, not to mention Jack's vocals sounding better than ever. Every song I love, not just like but love. And that is rare. The album's Eastern influences are subtle but really connect each song with another. It's hard to choose but I'd have to say my favourite songs are 'Let's All Die' - for it's use of brass instruments and drums, 'Everything Is New' - for vocals and 'Tonight's Today' - for reminding me of Summer.

ASHLEY TISDALE - GUILTY PLEASURE
I've raved on about this album since it was released early Summer this year. I love it and regularly listen to it. I've listened to 'It's Alright, It's Ok' and 'Erase and Rewind' 240 and 221 times. It's really catchy. Some of the songs are written by Kara Dioguardi who has written many other songs I love (for the likes of Hilary Duff). Again, like Kelly Clarkson, I couldn't say this album is ground-breaking but it's undeniably catchy and a solid pop album. I loved her debut 'Headstrong' so I wasn't surprised that I liked this album so much. Other favourites off this one are 'Crank It Up', 'Acting Out', 'Tell Me Lies' and 'Masquerade'.

CHERYL COLE - 3 WORDS
Cheryl Cole. Loved but slated for her vocals. Well I don't care because I love this album. It's so different from anything Girls Aloud have done and still remains strong. Ok, her voice and this album might not be to everyone's taste but I really enjoy her husky voice, it's got personality rather than some bland girly voice singing 'I Will Always Love You' on the X Factor. Generic.. Back to the album, I adored 'Fight For This Love' from the first listen, it still gives me goosebumps. The video for it is brilliant too. And then we have '3 Words', who would expect that from her?! It's ace. Other songs that I love are her b-side to '3 Words' called 'Boys' - it's amazing. Also, the 3rd single 'Parachute' is so catchy. Good job Cheryl, now bring on Miss Coyle's debut album and the 6th studio album from my favourite band Girls Aloud.

Ta-dah!

(Other mentions go to La Roux - La Roux, Jonas Brothers - Lines Vines & Trying Times, the St Trinians 2 Sountrack, Alphabeat - The Spell and Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster)

GIRLS ALOUD & NADINE COYLE - THE BEST.

Last edited by GhettoSuperstar; 01-01-2010 at 08:46 PM.
GhettoSuperstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

the only ones I like are Paloma's and Rihanna's...some of the Saturdays' too but it's not exactly a work of art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 PM #3

Have you listened to all of them Shaun? Just out of curiosity.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:50 PM #4
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I forgot to mention I hadn't heard some

But dislike Cheryl's, Kelly's, Little Boots' and anything Ashley Tisdale/Paramore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I forgot to mention I hadn't heard some

But dislike Cheryl's, Kelly's, Little Boots' and anything Ashley Tisdale/Paramore.
Fair enough

I think we have quite different tastes in music, I have noticed.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM #6
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

I agree with #1<33

credit: fxcknyah @ tumblr
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 PM #7
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I really like paloma its such a cool album,
Rihanna and alex's were both pretty good
But how is Kelly not no.1 she is the most versatile artist around =P

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 PM #8

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: One Direction
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: One Direction
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Demi Lovato,Metro Station,Ashley Tisdale AND Paramore!!
Gurl thats one fit list<3
Twilight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:58 PM #9
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

pretty cool list the only one I disagree with is The Sats which I thought on the whole was a poor follow up.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 AM #10
Team Flack

Team Flack

Woop for Little Boots,Alex,The Sats,Kelly and Ashley. I ain't heard any of the rest of them.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
15, 2009, albums, doug, top