Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 21-02-2010, 07:43 AM #1
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
X Factor 2010: Aiden Grimshaw
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
Default Official 30 Seconds To Mars Thread - 'Hurricane' Video Released & Banned!

Because I know there's at least a few people on here who like them. :P

30 Seconds To Mars

Created in 1998, Los Angeles, California, United States by Jared Leto and his brother, Shannon, 30 Seconds to Mars began as a big family project. Matt Wachter later joined the band as bassist and keyboard player. After working with a number of guitarists (as the band’s first two guitarists, Kevin Drake and Solon Bixler, left the band due to issues primarily related to touring), the three auditioned Tomo Miličević to round out the band’s roster. The band has released three albums so far, most recently 'This Is War'.

"Capricorn (A Brand New Name)" – 3:53
"Edge of the Earth" – 4:37
"Fallen" – 4:59
"Oblivion" – 3:29
"Buddha for Mary" – 5:45
"Echelon" – 5:50
"Welcome to the Universe" – 2:40
"The Mission" – 4:05
"End of the Beginning" – 4:40
"93 Million Miles" – 5:20
"Year Zero" – 7:53
"The Struggle" – 2:57 (Hidden track)

Bonus tracks

"Anarchy in Tokyo" (ends at 4:11 hidden track "The Struggle" begins at 4:28) – 7:25 (Japanese Edition)

"Attack" – 3:09
"A Beautiful Lie" – 4:05
"The Kill" – 3:51
"Was It a Dream?" – 4:15
"The Fantasy" – 4:29
"Savior" – 3:24
"From Yesterday" – 4:08
"The Story" – 3:55
"R-Evolve" – 3:59
"A Modern Myth" – 14:10 (ends at 2:59, hidden track "Praying for a Riot" begins at 12:25)
"Battle of One" (bonus track) – 2:47
"Hunter" (Björk cover) (bonus track) – 3:54

Bonus tracks

"The Kill (Rebirth)" (Irish and Brazilian Edition bonus track) – 3:39
"Attack" (Live) (Wal-Mart Edition bonus track) - 4:49
"Was It a Dream?" (Acoustic) (Japanese and Australian Edition bonus track)
"The Kill" (Acoustic featuring Pitty) (Brazilian Edition bonus track) – 3:45
"A Beautiful Lie" (Acoustic) (Irish Edition bonus track) – 3:42

"Escape" — 2:24
"Night of the Hunter" — 5:41
"Kings and Queens" — 5:48
"This Is War" — 5:27
"100 Suns" — 1:58
"Hurricane" — 6:12
"Closer to the Edge" — 4:34
"Vox Populi" — 5:43
"Search and Destroy" — 5:39
"Alibi" — 6:00
"Stranger in a Strange Land" — 6:54
"L490" (Shannon Leto) — 4:26

iTunes bonus tracks edition

"Kings and Queens" (LA Riots Main Vocal Mix) – 6:12
"Night of the Hunter" (Flood Remix) [Pre-order only] – 4:52

twitter-- twitter.com/carackobama

Last edited by CaraRawr; 15-04-2010 at 12:37 PM.
CaraRawr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 07:44 AM #2
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

30 Seconds overcomes label battle

Musicians often fear the dreaded sophomore slump, but what about the third-album lawsuit? Not so much.

L.A. rockers Thirty Seconds To Mars found themselves embroiled in a $30-million lawsuit, when the group was sued by their label, EMI, after leaving the record company just two albums into a five-album contract.

No surprise, then, that the three man band — featuring singer-guitarist and famous actor Jared Leto — named their recently released third CD, This Is War. In addition to Leto (who had big roles in My So-Called Life, Requiem For A Dream and Panic Room), Thirty Seconds To Mars includes Leto’s brother and drummer Shannon Leto, plus guitarist Tomo Milicevic.

“We had a giant corporate battle,” said Jared Leto, 38, in an interview in Toronto shortly after the album’s release in December.

“We had sold millions of records around the world, and had tons of success, and we were celebrating — and then it’s that age-old story. You find out that not only are we not going to get paid a single penny, but that we were millions of dollars in debt. So we decided to fight. We made this record on our own, financed it ourselves, and we went to war. It’s amazing what you’re capable of when you’re backed into a corner.”

Under California law, Thirty Seconds To Mars was allowed to leave EMI after seven years with the label, and they had signed with EMI nine years previously. In the end, the two sides settled out of court and the band remained with EMI.

“EMI addressed our concerns before we actually went to trial,” Leto said. “It took a while. It was quite a battle. But eventually they did the right thing. And that was to take steps to treat us fairly.”

This Is War, which follows Thirty Seconds To Mars’ 2002 self-titled debut and 2005’s multi-platinum A Beautiful Lie, was co-produced by U2 collaborators Flood and Steve Lillywhite.

“It’s not a record of U2 influence,” Leto pointed out. “It’s a distinctly Thirty Seconds To Mars record. And I think the exciting thing, really, is becoming more of who we really are. And that’s been a lot of fun. It certainly was an interesting time in the history of the world. We made this record and the entire planet fell apart while we were making it. There was all kinds of economic turmoil, the housing market, financial crisis, so it was a transformational period for us creatively as well.”

Perhaps, more significantly, This Is War features fan involvement on all fronts.

The group had members of their fan community, called The Echelon, show up at clubs throughout the world — including Toronto’s Tattoo Rock Parlour — to be part of the recording process.

“I don’t think it’s been done in quite this way before,” Leto said. “It started in Los Angeles. There were a thousand people that came out to a place called The Avalon, and joined us in this interactive recording experiment, and it went so well we did it in eight different countries around the world, including Canada.”

They also set up an Internet site on which fans could contribute vocals and sounds to the album digitally, through their computers, at home using new technology.

“It’s actually tens of thousands of people all over the world that sang on that song (the first single Kings and Queens), and many other songs,” Leto said. “So it was a timely kind of thing to do. It was a way to bring a bit of the live show to the album.”

Additionally, the album features 2,000 different covers submitted by fans — some famous, some not — from around the world.

For example, the album art QMI Agency got was a self-portrait from up-and-coming director Spencer Susser in a fake moustache.

“It’s been exciting for me because I started as a visual artist,” said Leto, who was studying photography and filmmaking before he dropped out to act as a way of getting into directing.

“To do these things like Faces Of Mars, I mean really this is just an art project. When you see them all together, the disparate nature, it’s really striking, the different faces from all over the world, it’s really compelling.”

As Thirty Seconds To Mars tour — they’re currently headlining arenas in Europe and begin a North American leg April 9 in Las Vegas (all dates thereafter to be determined) — fan involvement is a natural.

“The audience is in the band now,” Leto said. “So it’s just phenomenally exciting. It’s really, really something to be a part of, for us, and I think and hope for the audience. The call-and-response. Everyone knows their part.”

Music remains priority to Leto

Thirty Seconds To Mars frontman Jared Leto is also a famous actor. Which craft does he prefer? For the time being, Leto says music will be winning out over film roles.

“Music is demanding so much of my time,” Leto, 38, told QMI Agency.

“And touring extensively like we do, takes a lot of time. I don’t make very many films as it is. I just am not interested in making films all of the time. I’ve been making music as a kid, long before I ever thought about being an actor. I didn’t become an actor until I was 21, really. But it’s great to be able to do both. My brother (Thirty Seconds To Mars drummer Shannon Leto) and I were just two poor kids from Louisiana crawling our way out of the muddy banks of the Mississippi, with food stamps in one hand and our instruments in the other. And I happened to make some films, and that’s great, and I’m lucky and I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

Leto’s next film role is in the sci-fi flick Mr. Nobody, opposite Diane Kruger and Canadian Sarah Polley. The movie doesn’t have a release date in Canada yet, although it was screened at the Toronto International Film Festival.

“It’s really a surrealistic love story that takes place in the past, the present and the future,” Leto said. “It’s a very unique film. I play 12 different versions of the same person, including a 120-year-old man. It was wild.”

Old 15-04-2010, 10:47 AM #3
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

bumping because i need this thread in my life.

Old 15-04-2010, 10:51 AM #4
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

30 Seconds To Mars Battle It Out In 'This Is War' Video

At this point, Jared Leto is getting pretty used to conflict. He and his 30 Seconds to Mars bandmates battled their way through the making of their This Is War album, and they basically willed the first single, the epic "Kings and Queens," onto the rock radio charts.

So when it came time to shoot a video for the second single — the equally soaring title track from the album — well, they pretty much knew the direction they wanted to head.

"The song is really about conflict, and the album really is about it too: the inevitability of conflict, the blessing of conflict and what we can all learn from it. We've certainly had our fair share of it," Leto told MTV News on Friday (April 9). "So for the 'This Is War' video, we wanted to explore another side of it. So we decided to portray soldiers in conflict."

And so, in the video, Leto and company donned U.S. Army fatigues — and body armor — picked up standard-issue M4 rifles and piled into an armored Humvee. Working with director Edouard Salier, they've created a short film that looks at conflict through the eyes of the men and women who live it every day. And, much like everything involving 30 Seconds to Mars, they went all in.

"We worked with one of my oldest friends, who served in the Special Forces and has been in Iraq several times. He was our consultant. It was incredible to take a look into his world and his life, the knowledge and expertise he's gained," Leto said. "A lot of people are going to interpret this piece in a lot of different ways, and hopefully it will start some debates and some conversations.

"The video made us realize that underneath the uniforms, these men and women out there in conflict are just like you and I. When we put them on, I looked at my brother, looked at [guitarist] Tomo [Milicevic], and they looked like soldiers," he continued. "You start to walk like a soldier, feel like a soldier, when you're wearing body armor and carrying a working M4 ... it's an impactful experience. It was definitely provocative for us. It made us think, and that's the point of the whole thing."

Leto wouldn't divulge too much about the concept of the video, only saying that the video contains "a surprise" and features plenty of visual effects. The band shot the video outside of Los Angeles, days after wrapping their first-ever European arena tour, just before they headed down to Las Vegas to begin rehearsals for the U.S. leg of their Into the Wild jaunt. And while it was exhausting, Leto said that was just part of the whole experience. And, by now, they're used to battling a bit.

"As is the case with everything involving this band, it was more exciting than exhausting, to be honest. In a way, it feels like the beginning again," he said. "When we were making this album, we took advantage of the opportunity to rediscover ourselves. So it's really a celebration. We're just excited to continue on this journey."

eeeeeee i'm so excited! <3 here are the stills:

i love how the helmets have TIW lyrics on them!

Last edited by CaraRawr; 15-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 15-04-2010, 12:39 PM #5
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=532816007

some pictures and videos of jared at Q101.

Old 16-04-2010, 09:43 AM #6
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2010/04/15...mars-in-vegas/

Jared's latest tour diary :]

Old 27-04-2010, 08:07 PM #7
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

Jared Leto moves from teen heartthrob to Mars

Forget movie star. Jared Leto has found a different so-called life.

He's a full time rock star now, touring the world with his L.A.-based band 30 Seconds to Mars.

Interesting name.

``The significance is that it makes people ask questions more than giving answers,'' said Leto, who was set to play at the Fillmore Miami Beach Tuesday night. ``It accurately describes our music.''

Meaning that it's out of this world?

``It's a journey, it's a lifestyle. We are more an experience, a community, a celebration -- than we are music. An escape from reality.''

OK, gotcha -- maybe. Whatever it is you're doing, keep it up.

30STM's new album, This is War, is gaining an international audience. The band's 2005 album, A Beautiful Lie, went platinum, and got it nominated for an MTV award.

But such genius apparently takes time to develop.

The 12-year-old emo-neo progressive rock group recently settled a $30 million lawsuit with its label Virgin Records (EMI), which accused the group of not putting out albums fast enough.

``Sometimes you have to go to war to make peace,'' said the blue-eyed star of such films as Prefontaine, Girl, Interrupted and Alexander.

With the legalities behind them, Leto, 38, is ready for his rock star ride.

``We've put our blood, sweat and souls into this music,'' said the Louisiana native who first shot to fame in '90s teen drama My So Called Life (ironically, as a rocker).

So no more acting?

Though he'd never say never, Leto allowed: ``We're really just focused right now. It's an intense time.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/2...#ixzz0mKi7DKSs

so weird thinking that 30STM as a band are two years younger than me :O

Old 27-04-2010, 08:09 PM #8
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

yes!!
i didnt know there was a thread for them
Old 27-04-2010, 08:14 PM #9
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

yaaaaay, so glad i have fellow TiBBers that love them too

which is your favourite song?

Old 27-04-2010, 08:18 PM #10
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

Kings and Queens
its sooo good
the video is amazing too
The Kill is great too
whats your favourite song?
cant wait to see them at oxegen
Old 27-04-2010, 08:25 PM #11
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

you're seeing them at oxygen? you lucky bugger, i'm so jealous! :'(

aah yeah, kings and queens is amazing. my favourite has to be from yesterday though, just because it's so epic and the music video is insane. :]

Old 27-04-2010, 08:26 PM #12
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

User banned

Favourites (more):

MeMyselfAndI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:27 PM #13
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfandI View Post

leona lewis
Old 27-04-2010, 08:28 PM #14

Favourites:
X Factor 2010: One Direction
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Favourites:

Night Of The Hunter is amaze <3
Twilight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:28 PM #15
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

Quote:
and leona lewis is any better?

Old 27-04-2010, 08:29 PM #16
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Night Of The Hunter is amaze <3
i know right? i love the kind of more electronic sound in it.

Old 27-04-2010, 08:29 PM #17
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

sorry i supose they are talented i am just bored.

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; 27-04-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:29 PM #18
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):

chunnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!
Old 27-04-2010, 08:29 PM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Get the hell out here like now
Twilight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:30 PM #20
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

Shan and Tomo being hilarious. <3

Old 27-04-2010, 08:31 PM #21
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):
the kids we used to be

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl. View Post

chunnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!
yessssss
one of my favourites from a beautiful lie :')

Old 27-04-2010, 08:31 PM #22
User banned

Favourites (more):

User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl. View Post

chunnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!
shout shout shout

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; 28-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:31 PM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl. View Post

chunnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!