Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Old 28-08-2005, 07:46 PM #1

Default England squad for world cup qualifiers

Goalkeepers-Paul Robinson(Spurs), Chris Kirkland(West Brom), Rob Green(Norwich).

Defenders-John Terry(Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand(Man U), Ashley Cole(Arsenal), Matt Upson(Birmingham), Phil Neville(Everton), Luke Young(Charlton), Jamie Carragher(Liverpool), Stephen Warnock(Liverpool).

Midfielders-Frank Lampard(Chelsea), David Beckham(Real Madrid),Owen Hargreaves(B.Munich), Michael Carrick(Spurs), Jermaine Jenas(Newcastle), Kieran Richardson(Man U), Joe Cole(Chelsea), Sean Wright-Phillips(Chelsea), Steven Gerrard(Liverpool).

Forwards-Wayne Rooney(Man U), Andrew Johnson(Crystal Palace), Michael Owen(Real Madrid), Darren Bent(Charlton), Jemaine Defoe(Spurs).
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 09:27 PM #2

There are a few surprises in there. It's nice to see Chris Kirkland called up, though I don't think he'll get a game. Jamie Carragher is the best defender in the Premiership, but I can't see him getting a start, either. Sven seems to prefer wannabe wingers like Cole or glory-seeking target men like Ferdinand. Warnock doesn't stand much chance unless there are injuries in the squad, but he'll play his heart out as always if he's given the chance.

The midfield is a little unusual, too. If Sven has finally seen the light as far as David James is concerned, then why persist with playing Beckham - especially as captain? He hasn't had a single good game in an England shirt since the Greece match, and Gerrard would do a far better job. I'm not sure about Carrick, Hargreaves is useless, and Richardson I've not seen enough of to have any real opinion.

Hopefully, Owen will be back where he belongs by Wednesday, and that should ensure that he's hungry and on top form. Not sure about Bent or Johnson, though.
CharlotteSometimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 10:17 PM #3

i like the look of the chelsea players i luv the blues
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 10:29 AM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlotteSometimes
There are a few surprises in there. It's nice to see Chris Kirkland called up, though I don't think he'll get a game. Jamie Carragher is the best defender in the Premiership, but I can't see him getting a start, either. Sven seems to prefer wannabe wingers like Cole or glory-seeking target men like Ferdinand. Warnock doesn't stand much chance unless there are injuries in the squad, but he'll play his heart out as always if he's given the chance.

The midfield is a little unusual, too. If Sven has finally seen the light as far as David James is concerned, then why persist with playing Beckham - especially as captain? He hasn't had a single good game in an England shirt since the Greece match, and Gerrard would do a far better job. I'm not sure about Carrick, Hargreaves is useless, and Richardson I've not seen enough of to have any real opinion.

Hopefully, Owen will be back where he belongs by Wednesday, and that should ensure that he's hungry and on top form. Not sure about Bent or Johnson, though.
I was a little suprised with a few inclusions and all, not your typical Sven squad but I guess with the injuries he has had to call up some different players, I am glad James got dropped as any player that is not prepared for a match should not be called up again and Glen Johnson is not good enough.

A few fitness doubts in Gerrard, Terry and Wright-Phillips so there is a chance that he may start with Carragher which would be great as he can always be relied upon. Hargreaves would proably take Gerrards place much to my dismay, he should not even be in the squad, he done nothing when he has played for England. Carrick always impresses me, very mature perfomer for Spurs and he did well playing for England in the summer. Richardson could do with leaving Manchester United as his chances of playing are limited with Giggs and Ronaldo ahead of him in the pecking order, he did really well at West Brom last season and he looks a good prospect.

Owen is going to miss the Wales game so Defoe will proably start with Rooney, I think Defoe is a top quality striker so he won't have any trouble starting in place of Owen. As for Johnson and Bent, I am not sure that Johnson is England class but he does score quite a few goals albeit a lot come from penalties and Bent has really impressed me this season and deserves his place. I would have proably picked an older player instead of Johnson, maybe Andy Cole or even Teddy Sheringham.
Old 29-08-2005, 03:05 PM #5

Yeah, I'd prefer Stevie G not to play and give him time to fully recover. These are hardly the most difficult games the national squad will have to face, and the season is, for us, just two games in. I don't see how injuries to a holding midfielder (which is how Sven would deploy Gerrard) or a winger (Wright-Phillips) would increase Jamie Carragher's opportunities, though. And I can see Sven going with Neville, unfortunately, as he can be pushed into midfield should substitutions necessitate it. And Hargreaves in a holding role? That really is the stuff of nightmares!

I really don't think that Sheringham could take the pace of football at that level now. He will be 40 next birthday, after all. Cole perhaps, but he was always dire in an England shirt in the past.
CharlotteSometimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 03:22 PM #6

bent scored 4 in 3
skelo4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 03:26 PM #7

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlotteSometimes
Yeah, I'd prefer Stevie G not to play and give him time to fully recover. These are hardly the most difficult games the national squad will have to face, and the season is, for us, just two games in. I don't see how injuries to a holding midfielder (which is how Sven would deploy Gerrard) or a winger (Wright-Phillips) would increase Jamie Carragher's opportunities, though. And I can see Sven going with Neville, unfortunately, as he can be pushed into midfield should substitutions necessitate it. And Hargreaves in a holding role? That really is the stuff of nightmares!

I really don't think that Sheringham could take the pace of football at that level now. He will be 40 next birthday, after all. Cole perhaps, but he was always dire in an England shirt in the past.
John Terry is an injury doubt and all so Carragher would slot in for him. If Stevie G is not fit for the next game then it has to be Carrick that plays, Neville or Hargreaves in midfield really would be a joke.

The thing with Sheringham is he is still doing a great job for West Ham at premiership level and because he is such a clever player he would do well should we have needed him for the Wales game, he never had much pace in the first place so it's not really made much difference to his game. Cole is good form at the moment and that is always my basis on picking players, Johnson is not setting the championship on fire at the moment.
Old 30-08-2005, 03:43 PM #8

John Terry has pulled out of the squad due to injury so Carragher will take his place alongside Rio in central defence. No replacement called up yet.
Old 18-03-2009, 02:33 AM #9

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Apart from Andrew Johnson, Stephen warnock and Kieron richardson and Michael owen

IT's the same team
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cup, england, qualifiers, squad, world