Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

International Big Brother Big Brother around the world!

Old 17-10-2005, 11:12 AM #1

Default Meet the S.L.E.B.S

Typical Big Brother contestants, in other words.

Quote:
The Sunday Times October 16, 2005

Feature

Meet the S.L.E.B.S

By Katharine Hibbert

They are Shameless, Libidinous, Egoistic, Barefaced Slaves to celebrity. And their ambition is to tread in the hallowed footsteps of Abi Titmuss, Jordan and Jade. These are the wannabes who suffer from a new social disease — an addiction to fame — and they will do anything to get a fix.....

.....A recent survey by the interactive website www.thelab.tv found that of nearly 1,000 girls who took part, almost half saw Abi Titmuss as a role model and 33% Jordan. Anita Roddick was a role model for only 7% of girls, J K Rowling for 9% and Germaine Greer for 4%. Asked what they would rather be famous for, 89% chose being recognised and a celebrity; only 11% said they would prefer achievement with little recognition.

"Public recognition and celebrity have replaced more traditional marks of status," says the sociologist Angela McRobbie, a professor at London's Goldsmiths College. "A lot of this has to do with media visibility, and the popularity of TV programmes such as Fame Academy and Pop Idol, which make ordinary people extraordinary and give rise to the idea of a fast track to stardom.".....

.....Since 1999, when the first series of Big Brother was screened in the Netherlands and Heat magazine was launched here, our national appetite for "sleb" gossip has reached new proportions. Heat and its imitators Closer and Now sell a combined 1.5m copies a week. Their predecessors, Hello! and OK!, filled with reverential stories such as the recent "Zara Makes a Splash", have been left trailing. Reality-TV participants become stars, of a sort. A survey this year showed that Jade Goody, who became notorious in 2002 when she appeared naked on Big Brother shouting "My kebab's showing!" was more widely recognised than Jack Straw or Charles Kennedy. An issue of Heat with Jade on the cover reliably sells about 20% more than one without her. Editors love these D-list celebrities because they happily spill the beans. As Heat's editor, Mark Frith, says, "I could spend the next year trying to get an interview with Tom Cruise, but all he'd tell me is how great it was to work with his latest director. Jade, on the other hand, would tell me everything — about her body image, her relationship, her career, her hopes."

But Jade has no shortage of competitors. One hundred thousand people applied for a place in the Big Brother house for the most recent series. Websites such as www.beonscreen.com, which has 60,000 subscribers, direct wannabes to reality shows. PRs and agents train wannabes how to behave. "Competition is fierce on the red carpet nowadays," says Read. "You have to wear the right designers, be prepared to wear that silly, revealing outfit, come up with some novel ideas.".....

.....Wannabes are going to ever-greater lengths to be talked about. A Zimbabwean ex-nurse, Makosi Musambasi, became notorious in the recent series of Big Brother when her face was shown on live TV while she had sex with her fellow housemate Anthony in the hot tub — the house's most explicit broadcast yet. In retrospect, this was an unwise move: her former employers have refused to take her back and she has been served with a deportation order back to Zimbabwe.

Philip Edgar Jones, the producer of Big Brother at Endemol (the company that makes the show), has seen 50,000 wannabes audition in the past five years. He believes people want to be on the show because "They think, 'That could give me a better life. I could suddenly be famous and be going to showbiz parties and premieres.' " He says the phenomenon reflects a shift in society: "Families are fragmented, people move away from home. Celebrity is a substitute community." He also notices among the applicants a high proportion of girls who have been let down by their fathers, and young gay men about to come out — "It's a good way of doing it once and for all."

Despite the perception that fame will bring wealth and a life of leisure, for most minor celebrities the main compensation for their efforts will be attention from the public. Jade, the most famous Big Brother participant yet, is the only one to have earned over £1m, and her relatively low fees for an interview and photo shoot — about £5,000 — have helped, according to the PR expert Mark Borkowski. Behind the scenes — it's the agents, TV production companies and magazine owners who are making the real money. Few people would recognise John De Mol in the street, but as the head of Endemol he has become a billionaire.....

.....SO YOU WANNA BE A WANNABE?

Big Brother's Philip says:

Don't think that saying 'I'll have sex on live TV' will make your audition a success

If you've got nothing left to say after five minutes, you won't get on the show

Big Brother isn't about making people famous: it's about making good TV.
Full article here - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...813692,00.html
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 03:34 PM #2
Team Flack

Team Flack

Omg! that critisies for like everything I like or who I admire,I dont know why they do articles like that,people who like celebs will still like them anyway.
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 10:17 PM #3
Administrator

Administrator

Thanks, James.

Quote:
They are Shameless, Libidinous, Egoistic, Barefaced Slaves to celebrity. And their ambition is to tread in the hallowed footsteps of Abi Titmuss, Jordan and Jade. These are the wannabes who suffer from a new social disease — an addiction to fame — and they will do anything to get a fix.....
It is a bit harsh, but sadly I think it's true of quite a few housemates since BB3 ..................Jade was only the first of many.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-10-2005, 11:22 AM #4

I would prevent anyone who has previously auditioned for any of the music talent shows from taking part in Big Brother.

They tend to be the most desperate for fame.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
meet, slebs