Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM #1

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):
Default A Victory of Sorts for BNP?

Not in the UK now,
but,
From what I can gather online and from friends and family the BNP did, once again, get more support in this General Election over the last time out.

Now, maths is where I fall down but my understanding is that they did a little better - not just because they ran more candidates - but meaning they got more % factoring in number of candidates.
Do math and statistic keeners know what I'm getting at here?
Maybe they can clarify.

I am hearing two different angles on this. Some are saying it might be a little disappointing in that it was not much of an upswing. Maybe just 1 or 2%,
however,
then again some saying that might even be considered impressive when held in consideration of the tight race and a third party running down the middle. [meaning - what voters may have been perceiving at and before voting]

So what is the sense here?
Would it be fair to say the BNP - all things considered - did achieve something of a victory here.
At least a step up in the direction they are aiming at.

Thoughts, comments and maybe some political statistics wizards could explain the numbers thing on this a little more?

Last edited by ElProximo; 10-05-2010 at 08:50 AM.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM #2

If some Sort of PR comes in
The BNP will increase, of course.

But we do not Know what
David and Nick are setting up yet.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

But we do not Know what
There is no way that the conservatives will agree to PR - it is anathema to them. On this point alone (which is one of the cornerstones of LibDem ideology) the coalition will probably fail. Can you imagine, with PR you could end up with a parliament of several assorted parties with none of them having a sufficient majority to be able to push through any legislation at all? The Alternative Vote path is also a non-starter since it could possibly deliver a government of second, third and fourth choices - how is that democratic?

The system we have now has served us well for centuries so why tinker with it? The answer is of course because the losers always whinge and bleat about how unfair it is.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
There is no way that the conservatives will agree to PR - it is anathema to them. On this point alone (which is one of the cornerstones of LibDem ideology) the coalition will probably fail. Can you imagine, with PR you could end up with a parliament of several assorted parties with none of them having a sufficient majority to be able to push through any legislation at all? The Alternative Vote path is also a non-starter since it could possibly deliver a government of second, third and fourth choices - how is that democratic?

The system we have now has served us well for centuries so why tinker with it? The answer is of course because the losers always whinge and bleat about how unfair it is.

Well in any case they have to take it through
Parliament
who could Vote it out.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well in any case they have to take it through
Parliament
who could Vote it out.
Yes - but it will never be on the table for negotiation in the first place, because it is a fundamental ideology of the Tories that "first past the post" is the winner. The most the LibDems can hope for is some sort of agreement that there will be a parliamentary committee to "discuss" PR, I doubt the Tories will even agree to a referendum. That said, it's not up to Dave, it's up to the entire party executive to sanction the deal. Seems a lot of them are pretty p*ssed at Dave for even parlaying with the Libdems, saying he should just go it alone. I'm starting to agree as I am frankly getting fed up with the LibDems strutting around as if they have anything of interest to bring to the table. The people of this country certainly didn't think so!

I just hope it gets sorted soon, instead of allowing Labour to carry on governing (Alastair Darling doing deals over the weekend to shore up the Euro FFS), the sooner Labour are out for good, the sooner we can start cleaning up the mess they've left.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 AM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

But we do not Know what
I was a little surprised the BNP did better this time out and because of the way the election 'looked' to be going.
(and mostly did go)

One thing with the BNP is that you wonder when they focus on General Elections if that takes away from their momentum and attention in local elections.

So what do you think David and Nick might be planning?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:58 AM #7

Far from a victory for Nick Griffin in my good (or not..) old hometown of Barking.

Overthrown by Labour and then beaten by Conservative shaaame.
KG. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 AM #8
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

With all of the publicity he's gotten since the 2005 election you'd have thought the increase [if they were on a road to victory] in votes would be more than a couple of thousand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 AM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
With all of the publicity he's gotten since the 2005 election you'd have thought the increase [if they were on a road to victory] in votes would be more than a couple of thousand.
Some of the papers were putting up that angle and I had mixed feelings about it because a lot of the publicity was entirely negative,
and,
I noticed next to zero publicity as the election coverage got into swing. Even after some dedicated googling I was not even convinced they were running any candidates until finally finding something on wikipedia.

Yes at first I thought maybe they would have expected more but then the way things were going I actually thought most 'small parties' would see big losses,
yet,
after all the BNP did hold their own and bump up a bit.

Quote:
Far from a victory for Nick Griffin in my good (or not..) old hometown of Barking.
Barking did throw a lot of votes to Griffin but I did think they might have been setting too high expectations for a BNP win,
but,
then again that was one place where (maybe for the first time?) a BNP candidate was a real consideration.

One thing I found a little disgusting was whats-her-name saying 'Get out' of Barking.
No.
That is really unacceptable language and I have a feeling a lot of people were offended by that.
They ARE Barking (I swear no pun intended) but she is telling thousands of voters 'Get out of here'.
What is she a Nazi?
It reminded me of Hitler getting power and then says 'Jews get out of OUR country' even though they ARE Germans. They aren't from somewhere else.
It gave me that kind of 'creep factor' when she said that.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:02 AM #10

"One thing I found a little disgusting was whats-her-name saying 'Get out' of Barking."

Yes that New Labour Old lady
has No Legal Right to say that.

We are a Democracy in the UK,
Thats why The Conservatives are best
in my view.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 AM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

No-one has the right to tell anyone to get out of anywhere. Just because you don't like or agree with someone's views gives you no right to impose your will on them. After all we are being forced to live alongside known terrorists and immigrants who actually HATE our guts, because to kick them out would infringe THEIR human rights.

Under New Labour the politically correct brigade and the thought police have tried to stamp out freedom of speech and tried to control our every action, we are spied on, we have our personal data stored without our knowledge or consent, and every area of our lives is subject to the interference of the nanny state.

It is precisely because of New Labour that the BNP have gained such support.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM #12
You know my methods

You know my methods

At least Nick Griffin airs his views on people he disregards and does not like

Gordon Brown and his cronies wait until they think the cameras are off before they tell the truth
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM #13
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
At least Nick Griffin airs his views on people he disregards and does not like

Gordon Brown and his cronies wait until they think the cameras are off before they tell the truth
Aw LT - you disappoint me - I thought you thought you were above falling for those type of grandstanding tactics!
WOMBAI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM #14
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOMBAI View Post
Aw LT - you disappoint me - I thought you thought you were above falling for those type of grandstanding tactics!
what, like ^^^?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus58 View Post
No-one has the right to tell anyone to get out of anywhere. Just because you don't like or agree with someone's views gives you no right to impose your will on them. After all we are being forced to live alongside known terrorists and immigrants who actually HATE our guts, because to kick them out would infringe THEIR human rights.

Under New Labour the politically correct brigade and the thought police have tried to stamp out freedom of speech and tried to control our every action, we are spied on, we have our personal data stored without our knowledge or consent, and every area of our lives is subject to the interference of the nanny state.

It is precisely because of New Labour that the BNP have gained such support.
You are right and I do agree it it the ultra-PC Big Brother 'Nanny State' type of thing that does actually generate the wind in the sails of the BNP.
Maybe that is why it is so disturbing that the Labour candidate, upon winning, says "Now they can GET OUT".
Yikes.

When I fly back to the UK I am sometimes a 'visible minority' in the customs queue and a few of us (maybe out of boredom) will joke about predicting how I will be getting the longest inquiry, detained and subject to further search.
Why?
Because the UK has become so disgustingly 'PC' that they cannot 'appear' to be only discriminating against younger Arab men.
So guess what?
I have to be hassled, sat in their little glass room and detained longer.
Later it will creep me out being followed by cameras everywhere I go (same for all) and the police inspections at train stations are creepy as hell,
but,
its funny how just a few weeks later I'm getting 'desensitized' to it. You wonder how Germans 'allowed it to happen' but its a funny thing how quickly it becomes 'acceptable' and you don't even notice it.
But,
Yes, that sort of thing does fuel people towards BNP support and even people who don't even really agree with other BNP policies will go there as a sort of 'last desperate refuge' to try and counter the ultra-PC Orwellian forces the other way.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bnp, sorts, victory