Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB11 Channel 4's last Big Brother series started June 2010. Josie Gibson was the winner. All the gossip about the Big Brother 11 house, series and housemates here!

Old 15-06-2010, 09:26 PM #1

Default Dave the selective response

I know it says it's wrong so i wouldn't marry you BUT i don't have a problem with it and jesus loves everyone he just loves some of you more than others..

He managed to evade offending any viewers quite well i thought without completely undermining his professed relgious beliefs.

Fair play to the clever monk.
pixee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 09:29 PM #2
filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):

But it is a bit of a lie, as if his god loved everyone equal, wouldn't they have the same rights in Dave's church?

Last edited by GypsyGoth; 15-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.
GypsyGoth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 09:32 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BB17: Evelyn

Favourites (more):

Saying that the big book of fairytales told him to do it is not very clever.

He's lucky he's not up or he'd be out Friday.
MrWong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 09:32 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGoth View Post
But it is a bit of a lie, as if his god loved everyone equal, wouldn't they have the same rights in Dave's church?
Oh yes that is my point. His interpratation of scripture is that it is wrong yet he claims he has no problem with it, i don't mind people believing in books written by men as to be the word of god but at least be honest about your belief.

Guess you can buy faith and its price is 100 000 pounds. Woo hoo what a bull**** merchant
Old 15-06-2010, 10:06 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB11: Ben
CBB7: Stephen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No.
In the same way you might love all your children equally and don't allow them to do certain things at the breakfast table.
It may very well be because you love them you don't allow footballs to be tossed at the table.
ElProximo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 10:12 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWong View Post
He's lucky he's not up or he'd be out Friday.

Bollocks!
Jarvio is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 10:12 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElProximo View Post
No.
In the same way you might love all your children equally and don't allow them to do certain things at the breakfast table.
It may very well be because you love them you don't allow footballs to be tossed at the table.
Equality means that if you take your football example only if you didn't allow all you children to not have footballs this would be an acceptable example. And if you are using football for same sex relationship then again the point i'm making and that poster is making is that Dave claims the scripture "don't allow footballs at the table" which means that if dave believes in his relgion he doesn't allow them either so the bible thinks it is wrong and he thinks it is wrong, he said "he doesn't have a problem with footballs at the table"

Sorry i should have stuck to boys ****ing...

basically god can't love all his children equally if they have different rights that is unequal and the reasoning behind it is irrelevant to the fact of its inequality.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:15 PM #8
OAP Member

OAP Member

Fair play to Josie for questioning Dave on his 'christian' views. The typical answer of a minister or priest when they don;t want to answer tho. 'I dont want to discuss this now'. Thats the problem with religion Dave!
Old 15-06-2010, 10:24 PM #9
filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):

filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No.
But Dave is allowing some of his children to toss the football and not allowing his other children to toss the football. Yet he claims they are equal.
Old 15-06-2010, 10:25 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheewails View Post
Fair play to Josie for questioning Dave on his 'christian' views. The typical answer of a minister or priest when they don;t want to answer tho. 'I dont want to discuss this now'. Thats the problem with religion Dave!
Yep, very hard for religious people to defend bigotry.
MrWong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 10:37 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixee View Post
Equality means that if you take your football example only if you didn't allow all you children to not have footballs this would be an acceptable example. And if you are using football for same sex relationship then again the point i'm making and that poster is making is that Dave claims the scripture "don't allow footballs at the table" which means that if dave believes in his relgion he doesn't allow them either so the bible thinks it is wrong and he thinks it is wrong, he said "he doesn't have a problem with footballs at the table"

Sorry i should have stuck to boys ****ing...

basically god can't love all his children equally if they have different rights that is unequal and the reasoning behind it is irrelevant to the fact of its inequality.
You have two different things here.

1. You are complaining that David is inconsistent in applying or explaining the rules of his Church.
Fair enough.
Your complain would be like a parent saying they do not allow footballs at the breakfast table but the other parent (David) says to the kids "..but I don't mind it".
OK.

2. In another complaint you suppose that if there is a God then that God must allow or condone or endorse same-sex marriages or else He must not love some and love others.
Depends.
If same-sex marriage is unhelpful, counter-productive, misleading, artificial and detrimental then God is showing love by forbidding it.

Now treating people equally is something that might also be different than 'loving people equally as much.
In an example:
- the parents may love both sons equally as much but 15 year old Brian is very good at digesting a beer and handling himself well and so he is allowed a beer on some nights. His twin brother Jason does not handle alcohol, becomes agitated, demands more beer, acts the fool. Jason is not allowed to drink beer.
You can say the parents love both children equally and the fact they don't allow Jason beer is actually demonstrating this and not mitigating this love.

Can you agree?
Old 15-06-2010, 10:49 PM #12

Quote:

1. You are complaining that David is inconsistent in applying or explaining the rules of his Church.
Fair enough.
Your complain would be like a parent saying they do not allow footballs at the breakfast table but the other parent (David) says to the kids "..but I don't mind it".
OK.

2. In another complaint you suppose that if there is a God then that God must allow or condone or endorse same-sex marriages or else He must not love some and love others.
Depends.
If same-sex marriage is unhelpful, counter-productive, misleading, artificial and detrimental then God is showing love by forbidding it.

Now treating people equally is something that might also be different than 'loving people equally as much.
In an example:
- the parents may love both sons equally as much but 15 year old Brian is very good at digesting a beer and handling himself well and so he is allowed a beer on some nights. His twin brother Jason does not handle alcohol, becomes agitated, demands more beer, acts the fool. Jason is not allowed to drink beer.
You can say the parents love both children equally and the fact they don't allow Jason beer is actually demonstrating this and not mitigating this love.

Can you agree?
Can we stick to same sex cause now we have beer and football and it is very confusing lol.

I mean you have God as one parent and dave as another so dave is the wife of god? I hope you aren't religious cause that surely isn't allowed to equate a chubby welshman to the almighty lol.

I'm not questioning the god of the bible we know he wasn't keen on homos till they had a rewrite and said it wasn't as bad as he initially thought. I'm questioning why Dave would not be consistent which i think we agree on, i simply think he is a fake.

And no if you have two parents who give different rules to their children based on their abilities that is not equality, it may be right based on a parental care or caution for safety but it is not equality and in that sense i agree with you. If the parents were to be truly equal they would say neither child can have beer.

I'm not saying God must either allow or condone simply that Dave said he condoned it and the majority of christians believe the same, and dave clearly believes the same but didn't want to look bad.

Last edited by pixee; 15-06-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 15-06-2010, 11:40 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm not questioning the god of the bible we know he wasn't keen on homos till they had a rewrite and said it wasn't as bad as he initially thought.
Never happened.

Quote:
I'm not saying God must either allow or condone simply that Dave said he condoned it and the majority of christians believe the same, and dave clearly believes the same but didn't want to look bad.
I will watch it again but I thought he said something like " It (gays) doesn't bother him much "
but,
I should watch it again.

It will help if you know that David is not really a monk and to the best of my knowledge is not a properly ordained minister who can do state-recognized marriages,
but,
more importantly, you should know that the vast majority of Christians, Christian scholars, Christian clergy would consider David to be a cult member of a bizarre pseudo-christian fringe group,
and,
that David believes in a lot of things you won't find in a Bible, Church doctrine or really anywhere else.

David accepts things that would be considered heresy by not only most Christians but most NON-Christians who would think it bizarre and inexplicable.

In fact you heard just a 'minor problem' compared to a number of bizarre, inconsistent, aberrant things that David has and might say.
Old 16-06-2010, 12:36 AM #14

The funny thing is there's nothing in the bible outlawing same sex marriages. Even the gay thing is questionable as it only says men laying together is an abomination in the eyes of the lord. No mention of it being a sin. Just means he doesn't want to watch it.
Deanjam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:53 AM #15
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:

Fair enough.
OK.

Depends.

In an example:

Can you agree?
Using that analogy the children are being treated unfairly, surely you should just say neither have beer, regardless of the actions on either you should to be fair treat them both the same. Otherwise you are favouring one over the other. You may love them both equally but you are treating one differently.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:54 AM #16

as an agnostic i dont agree with davids reasoning on this matter i have my own opinion which is private but i will give him great credit for sticking to his beliefs the wimps way out would have been to lie and say yes il do the ceremony knowing full well he would never have to do it but he didnt do that he stuck to what he believes in not everybody in that house would have done the same thats for sure so good on him.

Last edited by billy123; 16-06-2010 at 12:54 AM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:55 AM #17
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

I thought he handled the situation well.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:55 AM #18

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

Quote:
I know it says it's wrong so i wouldn't marry you BUT i don't have a problem with it and jesus loves everyone he just loves some of you more than others..

He managed to evade offending any viewers quite well i thought without completely undermining his professed relgious beliefs.

Fair play to the clever monk.
From that clip in the HL show dave is a dead man walking.

A 'clever monk' would have just ****.
Old 16-06-2010, 12:55 AM #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
Old 16-06-2010, 12:58 AM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
At best he came across as a hypocrite, at worst a homophobe.
Old 16-06-2010, 01:01 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjam View Post
diplomacy is an underated skill not every situation has to end in conflict.
Old 16-06-2010, 01:05 AM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
diplomacy is an underated skill not every situation has to end in conflict.
A conversation of differing opinions doesn't need to end in conflict if the people are intelligent and respectful. I know in Big Brother it often ends that way, but Josie wasn't spoiling for a fight, merely questioning a comment that deserved questioning. The fact that he was so quick to end that conversation suggests he knew he was onto a loser. It was only smart in a cynical way.
Old 16-06-2010, 01:12 AM #23
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjam View Post
He may not be a homophobe, he may have a live and let live attitude. He didnt say homosexuality is an abomination in his eyes or in the eyes of his god. As he said God loves everyone, but scripture in his interpretation doesnt allow same sex marriage.

A hypocrite no, he defended his beliefs is all. Without meaning to offend anyone. If you read the bible especially the New Testament you will see it does say God loves everyone, even sinners. It doesnt say sinning is okay.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 01:22 AM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasown View Post
He may not be a homophobe, he may have a live and let live attitude. He didnt say homosexuality is an abomination in his eyes or in the eyes of his god. As he said God loves everyone, but scripture in his interpretation doesnt allow same sex marriage.

A hypocrite no, he defended his beliefs is all. Without meaning to offend anyone. If you read the bible especially the New Testament you will see it does say God loves everyone, even sinners. It doesnt say sinning is okay.
His scripture says homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God, I didn't say he said it. Indeed, if he goes off the bible scripture then he has no reason to oppose same sex marriage as there is nothing in there that opposes it.

My problem is that he holds to a homophobic belief - that gay people are not entitled to the same right of marriage as straight people - and yet claims to have no problem with gays. That is hypocrital. He's entitled to not believe gays should marry all he wants, just don't pretend this comes from anywhere but homophobia.

And the New Testament says that God sent Jesus to die for our sins so our sins would be forgiven. Basically, because the Old Testament made so many things sins, they had to write a new scripture that absolved people from them.
Old 16-06-2010, 01:33 AM #25

Quote:
yeah i just think he's a weirdo anyway he's not a normal christian cause all that foolishness about getting high on holy ghost its even put caoimhe off so what i hate is caoimhe proberly thinks all christians are like him!
LiquidGold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dave, david, response, selective