Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB11 Channel 4's last Big Brother series started June 2010. Josie Gibson was the winner. All the gossip about the Big Brother 11 house, series and housemates here!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 PM #1

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Default In depth interview with Ben

He made us laugh, he had amazing hair and he really knew how to wind up Mario, but on Friday night Ben became the latest housemate to bite the dust on Big Brother 11. One of the biggest characters in the final series, he left to a mixed response of cheers and boos from the Elstree crowd. We caught up with the 30-year-old "quiffhead" over the weekend to find out what he made of his BB experience.

Who do you think you will stay in touch with from the show?
"Dave Vaughan the monk is someone I know I will keep in touch with. It was an honour to know him. When we arrived in that whirlwind, the first weeks were hard to get used to and acclimatise to. I was like a fish out of water. Dave was one of the people that I warmed to and his love of life made my time much more enjoyable. He's got a big heart and I will stay in touch. That's the main one. But also in the last week, we were joined by Jo the cougar. She reminded me of my friends on the outside, she had real style and a genuine glamour. I'll also keep in touch with her."

Not Mario?
"Mario, I will undoubtedly see in the real world, and I will keep in touch. But I think he and I both realised that when you are thrown into alien territory, early on you can feel like you have lots in common with people. Then it's only later on that you realise that you are actually quite different. I won't forget those early weeks when we were great friends, but we are very different people."

Did you realise how much Mario liked you in those early weeks?
"I realised that he liked me, but maybe not quite that manner. I'm quite a flirty person in general and I don't always realise that people have deep feelings for me, which I think he did. When it became apparent, it made things a little difficult later on. But Mario is a great guy and it's a pressure environment in there. I think we all acted and snapped in there in ways we wouldn't normally."

How do you think you hair would have coped with another four or five weeks of growth?
"It's getting pretty ropey at the best of times. But I was fortunate that Caoimhe gave it a bit of a nip a few weeks ago and Laura did a bit of tidying as well. Laura is someone who I think will be a great miss to the house as well. She was lovely. And to get back to the hair, if it wasn't for those trims it would have been a damn sight worse!"

Did you have any romantic feelings for any of the girls in the house?
"I think there was a bit of chemistry between me and Rachel, but how much, I really don't know. I think in that environment, you really don't know. Rachel is a unique character and a very attractive character. Maybe our personalities made things difficult, but there was definitely something between us. When I went into Big Brother I thought any romance was a bad idea. There's no privacy and I think out of respect for myself, my family and the other person, it's not a good idea. But when I did spot something between me and Rachel, I played it cool. And maybe she didn't understand that, which might have caused problems."

Will you be staying in touch with her on the outside?
"That's probably one of the great what ifs of life. I will definitely try to stay in touch with her. As I said with Dave, Laura and Jo the cougar. But we'll just see. I'm going to take it one day at a time."

What's your opinion on the John James and Josie relationship?
"What do I think about the saga? There was a lot of speculation and amusement about them in the house. Josie definitely had real feelings for John and loved him to bits. John's feelings for her always perplexed me. It was like he wanted a nanny and Josie filled that role. They are two people who adore each other and I know what it's like to have a soulmate, but who knows what will happen. Maybe he will be whizzing back to Oz, or perhaps he'll be shacking up in Bristol."

Do you think they would make a nice couple on the outside world?
"I think nice is definitely the word. We all want to find that special friend in people. But, they are very different people and from my experience, lasting relationships only work when you have something in common. Josie is so laid back, she is almost horizontal. She was quite lazy and not good at tasks. John is the most intense person I've ever met. He is very black and white. He would do our heads in talking about who was playing the game, who was being strategic. If I was a girl, I don't think I could cope with his level of scrutiny on a full-time basis. But he is also very charming and good-looking, so he has plus sides as well."

Do you regret being so bitchy in the house?
"I did make comments in there, but I don't think I was that bitchy. We are under pressure in there and you do become snappy. The Marios and John Jameses have tantrums and explode. I'm pretty laidback and not like that, but I have a very sardonic and sarcastic sense of humour. My dad has a very pithy wit. I've been brought up to be quite sarcastic and that can come across as bitchy. If they hurt people's feelings then I regret that."

You described John James and Josie as the "pig and the piglet". Do you regret that?
"I say these things with the tongue firmly in my cheek. That comment was probably a bit ill-judged, but referring to them as pigs was less to do with the physicality and more to do with their relationship in there. As Dave pointed out there was an almost morbid sense of slight depression with their John Lennon and Yoko Ono love-ins. But that pig comment I do regret, but it was more to do with him needing her than anything else."

Has that duvet started to smell yet?
"I can't comment because I was never invited under the duvet. But the room itself was fairly rank. I'm not a cleanliness freak, but when you live in those conditions it's hard. The kitchen was pretty disgusting and when you left the shower, by the time you walked back in the bedroom, your feet would be black. I must take my hat off to Channel 4 though. It was a lovely house and I'd like a bathroom like that for myself. And I'll tell you something, I always thought girls were neater and cleaner than boys. After two months in the Big Brother house, I know that's not true!"

And the Tampax was annoying you...
"I think that was one area that I should probably have kept my mouth shut. I grew up in a house of women and am no stranger to Tampax. But I'm sure you guys will agree that walking in a bathroom and seeing a sink filled with tampons is pretty grim!"

Did you get sexually frustrated in the house?
"I think I know what you are getting at! I was actually okay. I think a lot of that is mind over matter. It's not like you are there forever. It's not like the outside where you have friendships like that. You just have to lie back and think of England and Wales. I was all right. But Mario got his sock out quite a bit. And John James got his sock out once!"

Who annoyed you the most in the house?
"I found the seriousness of the housemates very irritating. John James was one, Mario was another. Mario is my age and he's spent the last ten years dreaming of going on Big Brother. I can appreciate that, but I think Mario is really struggling now in the house. Nobody can go on a show with such high expectations about the limelight they will get and not be disappointed. I mean, he used to get annoyed about things that Big Brother did or didn't do, which had happened on previous series. I think Mario's obsessive eulogising of Big Brother got on my tits a bit. And I think John's constant probing of everyone in there, trying to figure out everyone's agendas was irritating as well. Everyone in there had a variety of reasons for being in there, nobody was whiter than white. It was frustrating that John obsessed about that so much. Also, Rachel's Scouse accent... I love it, but try having that at 5,000 decibels at five in the morning and that will test the patience of a saint."

Did it hurt you that Mario nominated you last week?
"I was shocked for the simple reason that Mario tracked me down before the 'Save & Replace' task and said that because of our friendship we should never choose each other. I do think that was sly and hypocritical after he nominated me. However much our friendship drifted apart, I never once nominated him and so I guess that did hurt. I did some stabbing in there, but I think most of the stabbing I did in that place was in the front. But the problem with Mario was... I went in there for an adventure. I'm in my late 20s, I needed a whole new experience. But with Mario it is an obsessional love of Big Brother, and I think it angered him that I didn't take is seriously."

You talked a lot about Coronation Street with Corin in the house. Would you like a part on the show?
"I think is the Pope a Catholic would be my answer to that. I think the show's tongue in cheek humour represents everything that's great about this country. Other soap operas are a bit dry. When I do watch TV, I always try and watch Corrie. If there was an opportunity to go in, not as Ken but as Ben, I'd jump at the chance. Maybe I could be Stephanie Beacham's adopted son? I would love that."

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

bens right about mario with the way he creeped around him not to nominate him if he won the save and replace and he nominated ben before he even knew who was up.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Jedward,how come you hate sam?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanne View Post
Jedward,how come you hate sam?
his annoying and his beyond hate because he annoyes me so much.

KRO!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM #5
mizzy25

mizzy25

great interview ben will be a miss to the house
mizzy25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM #6
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

You are obsessed woman.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
You are obsessed woman.
im just as obsessed about him as she is and he never should have been evicted in that 4 way.

KRO!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedward fever View Post
im just as obsessed about him as she is and he never should have been evicted in that 4 way.
I just think it's a good interview and I do miss him in the house,I wanted to enjoy the last BB but his eviction has kinda spoilt it for me as the rest in there are all so desperate and would sell their granny to win

Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
You are obsessed woman.
Not at all,I just kind of miss him in the house and thought the interview would be interesting to fellow Ben fans.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM #10
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Also, Rachel's Scouse accent... I love it, but try having that at 5,000 decibels at five in the morning and that will test the patience of a saint."

Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ben, depth, interview