Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB2 Brian Dowling, Helen and Paul, Dean and the rest of the Big Brother 2 housemates from 2001.

Old 24-12-2001, 10:20 AM #1
Administrator

Administrator

Default Helen's Fitness Video

If you're still frantically searching for a last minute Xmas present, hallie has just posted on TalkBB that she found Helen's video on sale in Smith's (?WH Smith) today!! Price £10.99.

The must have got in their supplies earlier than expected.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-12-2001, 12:11 PM #2
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

Good Old Guernsey!

We don't have a WHSmith! I think Amazon will probably sell it!

It seems a weird time to bring it out doesn't it!

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:53 PM #3

My mum kindly thinks I'm unfit, so got me this as a New Year present. I've not watched all of it yet, but in spite of my normal hatred of fitness videos I have to say I've been impressed so far. There are a good few choice Helen phrases in there to give you a giggle, but I'll not spoil it for anyone still thinking of buying it themselves.

You can tell her dance classes must have been great fun. It's not surprising she was so popular with the kids. The overriding feeling is that you should be having fun whilst doing it. I certainly did!

When I've had the chance to put it on properly I'll give a full review.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:45 PM #4

Hi Feefs,

I've sat through it all!! And I will do it when allowed.

Now, I'm no expert on fitness, but I own a lot of these videos, (and diet books, hope springs eternal).

Helen's is not bad at all, and as you say, it's good fun. Much more likely to get me to join in than some po faced old fanatic, or absolutely perfect type.

It could have been a wee bit more polished, but it's rather charming because she's so human.

Typical that when she reaches the cooling down session, she tells you to 'chill your boots'! i Paul is evidently omnipresent in her thoughts.

Not sure why Craig makes his rather pointless appearance at the end. Hope she didn't have to pay too much for it.

One thing that the nasty tablods failed to mention is that Helen is donating a proportion of whatever profits she makes to charity.

It's a bit of fun, doesn't give any rash or stupid dietary advice as some reports suggested. She's realistic. You will eat chips and chocolate, but if you then just sit, you'll end up unfit and fat (like me.)

If you keep active, and this is a fun way to do it, you just might end up fitter, happier, and snuggling up to your own Mr Clarke!

Everyone who hasn't got it:

It's £10.99 in Smiths.

If you buy it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 03:06 PM #5

I like the fact that it's a little unpolished. I've got a couple of dusty videos lying about that intimidate me senseless with the perfectly poised instructor and friends.

In my formative years I went to dance classes, which I was rubbish at, but enjoyed. This video has the inclusive feel of a dance class in some community centre, but without the Boys Brigade peering through the window at you.

I know what you mean about the misinformation re diet advice ROB. I was quite disappointed to discover that there was no recommendation for me to eat five chocolate eclairs and a mars bar. The same applied to the apparent lack of advice on who shouldn't exercise. I can only guess the woman got some pre-release copy that didn't have the standard advice slotted into the beginning. Unlike my callanetics video this didn't claim to improve my sex life!

While I'm fighting the cause - I recall the Scum made sarcy comments about Helen trying to hide flabby bits beneath her trousers. Well Mr Scum Man, according to The Scotsman's S2 bit yesterday, sensible clothes like cut-off drawstring trousers and longer tops are all the rage in the gym these days! It appears silly little lycra things and leg-warmers are not practical for the serious fitness fan.

They also did a bit about how it's celebs that lead the trends in fitness and briefly mentioned Helen's video along with a list of others, but didn't say anything interesting.
Old 15-01-2002, 03:41 PM #6

I found this review on amazon. At last, someone seems to get the point of it. I know you're thinking that they're hardly going to write a bad review when they're trying to sell it, but you should see what they wrote about Patsy Palmer!

Amazon.co.uk Review
Dance Workout with Helen might not be the fitness equivalent of rocket science, but both the makers and Helen as presenter/instructor have created a bit of chemistry. Cynics will be keen to dismiss Big Brother contestant Helen Adams as a third-rate star jumping onto a celebrity-fitness bandwagon. But the dizzy Welsh hairdresser proves that she knows a thing or two about teaching absolute beginners. If you want something really easy and un-intimidating to get you moving and smiling in your living room--without experts droning on about fat loss and dieting and without a celebrity and expert competing for attention--this is it.
The work-out begins with a 10-minute warm-up, a 25-minute aerobic session, and a 10-minute cool-down and tone-up. Helen's four-year career as a dance teacher is evident in her approach. Instead of shouting out instructions she speaks them in time to the music, as well as helpfully indicating directions. Her silliness and the fact that she sometimes gets the moves slightly wrong won't go down well with fitness fanatics, but she makes no pretence about appealing to them anyway. And only those with a sense of humour will appreciate the glittery set featuring giant letters spelling Helen.--Lorna V

I also spotted it at number 12 in the WH general video chart, (up from 48) beating The Mummy Returns, Rosemary Conley and all the Buffy/Angel box sets, so it seems all those interviews are paying off.

Old 15-01-2002, 05:13 PM #7

That's a nice and fair review ! think Feefs. I still can't really start doing it for another month or so, but I've watched it I'm sure I will enjoy doing it.

It is perfect for those of us who want to have a bit of fun and get moving. It's not fierce and off putting, and the purists should realise that those who most need to exercise usually are the ones who hate it.

I'm a big girl, sports was a nightmare of ritual humiliation at school, and consequently I am allergic to it. It feels like punishment.

However, I've always loved dancing, and normally do a lot of speedwalking. Make no mistake, if you do this tape 3 or more times a week, it will increase the fitness level of all but the superfit. You can put more and more into it as you get fitter.

In my WHS today it's No 4 in the diet and exercise chart, above the ghastly Tracey Shaw's Salsacise.
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fitness, helen, video