Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 30-09-2010, 05:38 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Nintendo 3DS to be released in March

Quote:
After months of rumour and speculation, Nintendo finally announced the release date and pricing for its 3DS console during a press conference in Tokyo today. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata confirmed that the 3DS will go on sale on February 26, 2011, in Japan for ¥25,000 ($299). The console's US and European launch will follow a month later in March, but no price details were given by Nintendo for those regions, with the publisher saying these announcements would be made later by the company's overseas branches. The system will be available in Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black hues on launch.

One of the 3DS' new features will be a retractable stylus.

During the conference--live-blogged by Japanese gaming publication Famitsu and translated by GameSpot--Iwata went into more detail about the 3DS' other features, including the tag mode functionality and what appeared to be a Mii creation studio. A short video explaining the functions was shown and featured Namco Bandai's Yozo Sakagami, who talked about using tag mode for rankings and exchanging ghost data in Ridge Racer 3D. Capcom's Yoshinori Ono was also featured, with the Street Fighter IV producer talking about making a game where players could battle anywhere. Ono then confirmed that Street Fighter IV for the 3DS will support Wi-Fi play and tag mode.

The video also showed a functionality that will allow users to stop midgame to browse the Web, send data wirelessly, and interact with other users who are walking nearby with a 3DS. The console can also connect to Wi-Fi when in sleep mode and automatically download data, including rankings, ghost rankings, and free software.

The 3DS will also be bundled with a 2GB SD card that will be able to store downloadable content. The handheld will also feature a Virtual Console service for Game Boy and Game Boy Advance titles, while classic Nintendo titles will also have 3D support.

The 3DS can play Game Boy and GBA titles, courtesy of its own virtual console.
Iwata wrapped up the press conference by admitting that third-party games often don't sell well on Nintendo hardware, with Wii third-party game sales low in Japan and the first year of Nintendo DS software sales all coming from the publisher's own titles. This is something the publisher is hoping to rectify with the 3DS.

The conference ended with a video of publishers and developers singing the praises of the new handheld, including Capcom, Level-5, and Konami. According to Capcom, a new Resident Evil title, called Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D, is also in development for the 3DS.

Nintendo first announced the 3DS during its E3 2010 press conference, laying out a sizable number of first-party titles, including Kid Icarus: Uprising, Star Fox 64 3D, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Later, the publisher also confirmed a strong lineup of third-party support for the 3DS, with titles like Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - The Naked Sample, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pro Evolution Soccer, Dead or Alive 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man & Galaga, and Dragon Ball all getting the 3D treatment, as well as a spate of unnamed titles from developers such as Harmonix, Take-Two, Atlus, AQ Interactive, Disney Interactive Studios, Hudson Soft, Majesco, Marvelous Entertainment, and Sega.
I can't wait, the third party support and focus on gamers rather then the casual crowd is very promising. The DS became a great console and I think this will better it. I'll definitely get one.

Going by the japanese prices it looks like it'll cost about £200-£250.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:21 PM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

im getting it for dead or alive.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:26 PM #3
i know, you know.

i know, you know.

How much are the normal DS at now?
zotler. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:57 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotler. View Post

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:59 PM #5
i know, you know.

i know, you know.

Use to borrow my sisters a lot, then she sold it. Dunno if I'd buy one of these, though.

zotler. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:11 PM #6
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

Unless they changed the software drastically then, meh.
Old 30-09-2010, 07:24 PM #7
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by zotler. View Post
Just over £120 I think. It should be less than that considering how old the system is, but they have managed to keep consumers interested with all the new SKU's they brought out; the Lite, the DSi and the DSi XL.

I really regret buying a DS Lite just before the launch of the DSi actually. The backwards compatibility and cheaper price made the Lite seem like the better deal, but the screens are so tiny, it's not worth using a DS to play GBA games.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
3ds, march, nintendo, released