Notices

The X Factor 2010 [S7] Series 7 of ITV's music reality show, The X Factor, won by Matt Cardle. Runner up was Rebecca Ferguson. Third was One Direction.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM #76
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Cheryl might've received a lot of it but Katie received a fair bit of it, so did Cher - but Katie moreso. When Cher has arguably been one of the most talked about/popular contestants this series, compared to Katie, I think it's very unlikely that she received an equal amount of 'hate' as Katie as a result of going through.

Jedward, Wagner, Chico were all novelty acts - and were/are all, admittedly, more entertaining than Katie. That's why they received the vote. I'm not saying people sat around purposely voting for all other fifteen contestants over the weekend - but refusing to give Katie a chance all week was what I was getting at. I admit her performance was pretty awful, and of course that's not going to help these 'haters' vote for her and change their opinions of her, but after her sing-off performance I believe she should now be given a chance - because she has proved that she can sing. No Mariah Carey, I know, but as I've said, neither was Diana Vickers...but people still liked/like her. It's the tone that counts, not vocal olympics. Her performance on the Saturday of the third week will be what counts [should she get through this week, which I think is unlikely, personally], as then people will [hopefully] be judging a performance and not the fact that she was in the Bottom Two/Three the previous week. Hypothetically, if she pulled off an awful or average performance in that week - then I would quite happily stand back and admit that fair enough, people aren't voting because she isn't good enough. You have my word. But right now I can't see that - all I see is Gamugate and the possiblity of a reprieve next week because she was in the Bottom Three.

Neither performances were outstanding, no, but Katie's was superior to FYD's. I can't see how you could dispute that...

Regarding the Gaga thing, that might be true - but this certainly looks eccentric to me:

They received flak in equal measure; if by backlash you're measuring it in terms of tabloid headlines. Cher was getting all sorts of stories about being arrogant and up herself, I saw more of those than articles about Katie so I'm not really sure why you think Katie was getting more backlash than Cher; if anything it was the other way round. Cher had that initial buzz about her first audition, but she and Katie were both talked about lots because of Cheryl's decision and it evidently didn't dent Cher's popularity enough to put her into the bottom three, leading me to conclude that it didn't dent her popularity in the first place. Katie's first audition was enough to brand her as annoying, Cheryl even said she was annoying when she put her through. She's not so much a marmite figure but someone that just can't be liked, with fans such as yourself struggling to defend that simple fact. Accept it and move on; it's got nothing to do with Gamu, Cher, Cheryl or anyone else.

What relevance does it have then, people not giving Katie a chance all week? Her opportunity to change minds was on Saturday and she failed to do so. You're evidently annoyed that people still dislike her, but to date she's only given two (if that) performances that people can praise (bootcamp + sing-off). Two performances have gone right for her. That's the same as 1 Direction and Belle Amie who only formed at bootcamp; that's bad going. She'll certainly avoid bottom two/three next week because I expect she'll have a much more suitable song choice that she will be able to sing well, and will benefit from the vote spike; but I think will inevitably fall back into the bottom two/three in Week 3 unless she's outstanding - but even that isn't enough to save people sometimes, look at Week 3 last year - Miss Frank and Danyl were, if I remember correctly, both given nothing but praise from the judges and ended up as the bottom two. There's an example of a 'serious' act who got through despite haters: Danyl! He at least had the talent to combat the hate towards him.

I can dispute the FYD/Katie thing because there's been a great emphasis on being able to dance as well as sing this series; which is something FYD can do, they gave a good performance and so did Katie. Katie's was better vocally, but FYD have more strings to their bow and gave more to the performance. It's a matter of personal preference. I thought Katie was visibly struggling to sing the song and was singing to the best of her vocal abilities, and her vocals didn't impress me all that much.

As for GaGa, that first video was a pre-cursor to what was to come; the song was going around before the video came along - as I said, people liked the song and then the image. I'd say Christina Aguilera's Dirrty video is more eccentric than Just Dance.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 PM #77

Katie has a very weak voice when it comes to certain songs and having to show emotion, she should stick to raspy Bonnie Tyler type songs.
StGeorge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:49 PM #78
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
They received flak in equal measure; if by backlash you're measuring it in terms of tabloid headlines. Cher was getting all sorts of stories about being arrogant and up herself, I saw more of those than articles about Katie so I'm not really sure why you think Katie was getting more backlash than Cher; if anything it was the other way round. Cher had that initial buzz about her first audition, but she and Katie were both talked about lots because of Cheryl's decision and it evidently didn't dent Cher's popularity enough to put her into the bottom three, leading me to conclude that it didn't dent her popularity in the first place. Katie's first audition was enough to brand her as annoying, Cheryl even said she was annoying when she put her through. She's not so much a marmite figure but someone that just can't be liked, with fans such as yourself struggling to defend that simple fact. Accept it and move on; it's got nothing to do with Gamu, Cher, Cheryl or anyone else.

What relevance does it have then, people not giving Katie a chance all week? Her opportunity to change minds was on Saturday and she failed to do so. You're evidently annoyed that people still dislike her, but to date she's only given two (if that) performances that people can praise (bootcamp + sing-off). Two performances have gone right for her. That's the same as 1 Direction and Belle Amie who only formed at bootcamp; that's bad going. She'll certainly avoid bottom two/three next week because I expect she'll have a much more suitable song choice that she will be able to sing well, and will benefit from the vote spike; but I think will inevitably fall back into the bottom two/three in Week 3 unless she's outstanding - but even that isn't enough to save people sometimes, look at Week 3 last year - Miss Frank and Danyl were, if I remember correctly, both given nothing but praise from the judges and ended up as the bottom two. There's an example of a 'serious' act who got through despite haters: Danyl! He at least had the talent to combat the hate towards him.

I can dispute the FYD/Katie thing because there's been a great emphasis on being able to dance as well as sing this series; which is something FYD can do, they gave a good performance and so did Katie. Katie's was better vocally, but FYD have more strings to their bow and gave more to the performance. It's a matter of personal preference. I thought Katie was visibly struggling to sing the song and was singing to the best of her vocal abilities, and her vocals didn't impress me all that much.

As for GaGa, that first video was a pre-cursor to what was to come; the song was going around before the video came along - as I said, people liked the song and then the image. I'd say Christina Aguilera's Dirrty video is more eccentric than Just Dance.
I'm measuring it in terms of posts on this forum, DS, and other places - as well as people I have spoken to about X Factor out and about. The large majority of them said that Cher deserved to go through, but not Katie. And there would've been far more uproar than the Gamu incident had Cher not gone through, let's be honest. Like I said earlier, she has arguably been the most popular/talked about contestant this year.

When you say 'You're evidently annoyed that people still dislike her', that's wrong. It doesn't really bother me, to be honest. People can like and dislike who they want, more often than not it's people that start a debate with me [in this thread...as you can see it's gone totally off-topic] than me starting a debate with others. I just try and justify my own opinion. Of course I'd like people to like her [isn't that the same for a fan of anything?], but if they don't then that's not really got much to do with me...she still has my support [and the support of her other fans]. What does niggle at me though [not annoy], is when dull contestants are favoured over more interesting ones. You can refer to my numerous posts throughout Big Brother this year to see that.

Regarding the Danyl thing - I have always believed that was just a case of his fans assuming he was safe, and didn't bother voting.

I'll accept the FYD/Katie sing-off is a matter of personal preference then, but I personally believe in this instance only the singing should be the only thing being judged, hence the name. All other performances should factor everything else that comes under the 'X Factor'.

I'll also accept defeat with the Gaga thing
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abraham, andy, john