Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
As I said the worth of a degree comes down to what you do with it. If you go into something related to your degree then thats where you go further, but if you go and do a degree then work in retail then its a bit of a waste. Too many people just end up doing what they did at college (Sociology, Law etc) where to get a half decent job out of it you need to do post grad courses whereas if you do something different like Sports Rehabilitation then you can go straight into a job

One of the reasons the stats you cite show graduates going into higher paid jobs is because of those who are genuinely there for careers and have high aspirations
I do see what your saying but to point out, up above you say "as I said the worth of a degrees down to what you do with it." well that wasn't what you orginally said which was, "Waste of time getting qualifications when you don't even need them". And no wonder you only look for basic qualifications, you said you were looking at applications for xmas temp jobs - so its just for people who are looking for a bit of extra cash around the holidays not for people looking to show off their qualifications or start a career.

And just to point out, I am not saying degrees, grades and qualifications are evrything and will get you further than those without any qualifications because they aren't - it does depend on types of people.
Ethan.k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM #27

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan.k View Post
I do see what your saying but to point out, up above you say "as I said the worth of a degrees down to what you do with it." well that wasn't what you orginally said which was, "Waste of time getting qualifications when you don't even need them". And no wonder you only look for basic qualifications, you said you were looking at applications for xmas temp jobs - so its just for people who are looking for a bit of extra cash around the holidays not for people looking to show off their qualifications or start a career.

And just to point out, I am not saying degrees, grades and qualifications are evrything and will get you further than those without any qualifications because they aren't - it does depend on types of people.
Without going into too much detail the company I work for try to avoid recruiting outside unless its for Christmas temps but theres a big shortage of management and they prefer to build people up from temps. A lot of the applications are from people who aren't students and are looking for careers especially amongst weekday staff, so I wouldn't jump the gun without knowing how the company works

I think "Waste of time getting qualifications when you don't even need them" does equate to "as I said the worth of a degrees down to what you do with it." if you read my points properly
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM #28

Quote:
Without going into too much detail the company I work for try to avoid recruiting outside unless its for Christmas temps but theres a big shortage of management and they prefer to build people up from temps. A lot of the applications are from people who aren't students and are looking for careers especially amongst weekday staff, so I wouldn't jump the gun without knowing how the company works

I think "Waste of time getting qualifications when you don't even need them" does equate to "as I said the worth of a degrees down to what you do with it." if you read my points properly
I didn't jump the gun at all, you said an xmas temp job and now its an xmas temp job for a mangement position -you didnt say that before and if you had I wouldn't have said thing thing about "no wonder why your looking for basic qualifications" as management jobs most commonly require a degree or a hell of alot of eperience if no degree is there.

and as for your points "equating", no they don't, they are from completey different ends of the scale, one stating they are a "waste of time" and one saying "down to what you do with them" contridiction there.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM #29

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan.k View Post
I didn't jump the gun at all, you said an xmas temp job and now its an xmas temp job for a mangement position -you didnt say that before and if you had I wouldn't have said thing thing about "no wonder why your looking for basic qualifications" as management jobs most commonly require a degree or a hell of alot of eperience if no degree is there.

and as for your points "equating", no they don't, they are from completey different ends of the scale, one stating they are a "waste of time" and one saying "down to what you do with them" contridiction there.
You're just being completely pedantic and you know it

You did jump the gun, you just assumed that it was full of students wanting money over Christmas. Well its not. and i never said it was a management position, I said the company likes to promote from within. theres a slight difference. Management doesn't require degrees either, maybe if you're planning on walking straight into being one with a business degree but the vast majority of managers have worked their way up and don't necessarily have such qualifications

and yes they do add up. It is a waste of time getting a qualification if you don't need it. Besides, you're missing out another one of my points in another post and it all adds up

Your college are doing a good job btw if you're clearly lapping up the BS they're feeding you about degrees, credit where its due there

Pretty funny that a small point I made got blown way out of proportion when I'm doing a degree myself!! (open uni though)

Last edited by Tom; 06-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM #30
That's Life

That's Life

Paid and sent UCAS off before half term, it actually got send off on Thursday due to my business teacher not writing my reference.

I'm not even sure I wanna go to uni yet. I want to go into management and marketing so I've been trying to look for apprenticeships as another option. See what offers I get and how I do in my exams and then make a decision. Just trying to keep as many doors open as possible at the minute.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 PM #31

Quote:
You're just being completely pedantic and you know it

You did jump the gun, you just assumed that it was full of students wanting money over Christmas. Well its not. and i never said it was a management position, I said the company likes to promote from within. theres a slight difference. Management doesn't require degrees either, maybe if you're planning on walking straight into being one with a business degree but the vast majority of managers have worked their way up and don't necessarily have such qualifications

and yes they do add up. It is a waste of time getting a qualification if you don't need it. Besides, you're missing out another one of my points in another post and it all adds up

Your college are doing a good job btw if you're clearly lapping up the BS they're feeding you about degrees, credit where its due there

Pretty funny that a small point I made got blown way out of proportion when I'm doing a degree myself!! (open uni though)
No i didn't jump the gun at any point and today mangement positions do usually require qualications or previous experience at a higher level within a business, if people are working their way it will take longer so they actually cant fill a management position immediately can they.

No, see your changing what you have said again, "Waste of time getting qualifications when you don't even need them" is what you originally said and states that you think people in general dont need qualifications and it's a waste of time working to get one but up above you then say "It is a waste of time getting a qualification if you don't need it" which means your applying it to someone or a few people who might not need it considering their situation.

And I don't go to a college thank you very much, and my school don't feed me BS at all, its a very good school actually where i get a top quality education. And a small point blown out of propotion, completely over dramatic there and no need to explain to me that your doing a degree, however congratulations that your doing what you want but i don't care as it doesn't impact upon this debate or my life in any way.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ucas