Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

View Poll Results: Who do you reckon'll get to host the 2018 World Cup?
England 5 26.32%
England
5 26.32%
Netherlands/Belgium 1 5.26%
Netherlands/Belgium
1 5.26%
Spain/Portugal 4 21.05%
Spain/Portugal
4 21.05%
Australia 0 0%
Australia
0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Japan
0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
South Korea
0 0%
Qatar 0 0%
Qatar
0 0%
United States 0 0%
United States
0 0%
Russia 9 47.37%
Russia
9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 AM #76
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

everyone hates on FIFA when their country is hard-done-by. It's natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:50 AM #77

Someone was saying that Brazil are REALLY behind on their preparations for 2014 and that Fifa could step in and give it to USA or.....England
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:00 AM #78
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
everyone hates on FIFA when their country is hard-done-by. It's natural.
I know yeah im just bitter you guys (not you personally but a good few on here) gave me so much stick saying everything was fair and all.

I would have preferred it be in England, I would have went then
Old 03-12-2010, 05:17 AM #79
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Russia - very cold, very big.
An average of 20°c from June to August included. It can reach 30°c in Moscow so what are you on about ? The World Cup is not being held in December/January.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 04-12-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM #80

What will Fifa do about all the racist Russian football fans?

Qatar might be decent despite them being **** at football themselves, might have been better to have a joint bid from Saudi Arabia and Qatar, as at least Saudi qualify regular and sometimes do well 94 I think they had good team
Grimnir is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM #81
Victor to win!

Favourites:
UBB: Victor
Victor to win!

Favourites:

I'm sick of all the hating just because Russia who were to be fair the strongest candidate except England. Most of the hate towards FIFA is all just because your country lost out and nothing more. Rather than saying "Well done Russia" etc, people are quickly targetting Sepp Blatter and FIFA just because their country lost out? That is more of a joke than the outcome people seem to think it was.

As for the hooliganism in Russia.. correct me if i'm wrong but during the 60s-80s, wasn't England one of the worst countries in Europe for it? The fact they were banned from European club tournaments for 4 years with restrictions afterwards backs that up. Yet despite this.. England still won the right to host 1966. Do you think the other countries involved in the bidding may have thought the same as everyone here seems to be reacting now?

As for 2022, Qatar is completely illogical for so many reasons. For starters they had the WORST out of the pre-stadium checks before being chosen, they were up against 2 VERY strong contenders (Australlia and USA) plus they are smaller than countries like Slovenia and Wales. Not to mention the vast heat too. Strange choice for a World Cup, but well done Qatar none the less.
danda012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 AM #82
Nah

Nah

Wow so much ignorance and stupidity from the English since they lost.
I doubt no one here or in England has ever been to Russia and watches too much TV stereotyping Russia.
It has its good and bad things, just like any country in the world. Every country has issues, no one is perfect.

So quit crying like babies seriously, I think babies cry less then you do. Congratulations to Russia, I'm sure they will welcome the world with open arms because I know this country and I know Russian people will be doing great. People need to get off their asses and explore the world, it's different from what you see on a electric box.

I love England and English people but seriously, I've been very, very disappointed by their attitude and behaviour. Just because the English wanted it, does not mean that they were entitled to it, which is what they all seem to think.

As for Qatar, good decision too. It's time for a change. It didn't shock anyone back in 2002 with South Korea/Japan and in 2010 with South Africa which were the first countries to hold the World Cup on their continent so what's the big deal with Qatar being the first for the Middle East ? That's bollocks, well done to them and get over yourselves.

edit: One more thing: are people really surprised Fifa is being corrupt ? Please, it didn't bother you before but now that England lost, it's the end of the world and total exposure. We all know any worldwide organization involving money is corrupt so it's definitely not a surprise. At the end of the day, people should stop living in a Dora the Explorer world and start getting real. Money rules the world.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 04-12-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 AM #83

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):

Well said Harry

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
Wow so much ignorance and stupidity from the English since they lost.
I doubt no one here or in England has ever been to Russia and watches too much TV stereotyping Russia.
It has its good and bad things, just like any country in the world. Every country has issues, no one is perfect.

So quit crying like babies seriously, I think babies cry less then you do. Congratulations to Russia, I'm sure they will welcome the world with open arms because I know this country and I know Russian people will be doing great. People need to get off their asses and explore the world, it's different from what you see on a electric box.

I love England and English people but seriously, I've been very, very disappointed by their attitude and behaviour. Just because the English wanted it, does not mean that they were entitled to it, which is what they all seem to think.

As for Qatar, good decision too. It's time for a change. It didn't shock anyone back in 2002 with South Korea/Japan and in 2010 with South Africa which were the first countries to hold the World Cup on their continent so what's the big deal with Qatar being the first for the Middle East ? That's bollocks, well done to them and get over yourselves.

edit: One more thing: are people really surprised Fifa is being corrupt ? Please, it didn't bother you before but now that England lost, it's the end of the world and total exposure. We all know any worldwide organization involving money is corrupt so it's definitely not a surprise. At the end of the day, people should stop living in a Dora the Explorer world and start getting real. Money rules the world.

I Inderstand you Capt Remy
on the Russian view.

But we wasted millions on reports they they were not looking for,
FIFA was exposed in that BBC Docu' as Criminals,
so these attacks were going on and will go on.

We never Had a Right to it.
Bang On Right there.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 AM #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Russia - very cold, very big.
Qatar - very hot, very small.

The common denominator?

A massive bag of money and huge oil/natural gas reserves.

Yes
Well Said.

Feel The Force.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM #86

The reaction to Russia winning the bid is getting really pathetic now, Arsenal booing their OWN player, Arshavin, just because he backed his OWN country's bid? Truly ridiculous. They need to get a grip.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 AM #87

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

It is okay

England will win it in Russia right in front of that horrible **** Putin..44 year old Becks will think it's 1996 all over again and hit one from the half way line it looks like it is going miles wide but it bounces of Danny Welbeck's right shoulder flies over the keeper and in

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 AM #88
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

But we wasted millions on reports they they were not looking for,
That's the whole idea of a bid: you spend millions on something you're not sure of getting at the end.

Then again, it was up to England's marketing team to make it right and put the finger right in the middle of the target. They missed the target and I must say, Russia's campaign was stronger.

England lost because of it's cockiness. They were 100% sure to get the project and BAM! they didn't. Too bad for them to be honest because I'd have loved it to be the host but come on now, this is ridiculous.

Yes the Fifa gave Russia the World Cup for its natural resources but also because Russia's bid was the strongest.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM #89

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Russia's campaign was stronger?

England was the strongest by a mile.. they spent 15 Million on the bid alone and their presentation blew Russia's out the water, Russia's one of those virtual presentations like the Sims it was terrible.. should have lost votes alone just on that.... and all it shown was how it will be easier to get around the cities and the routes people can take.. England's presentation covered basically everything.. Their was so many more people behind the england bid as well and they wanted it a lot more then Russia did.. Where was Putin? he never even turned up in Zurich..

There was nothing strong about their bid at all.. and people that say it was strong are lying to themselves because it was one of the worst i have ever seen... given it to Russia was the worst thing FIFA could have done really.. They don't really know the meaning of Multi culture and the black players are going to be abused all through the tournament unless things drastically change over there and not to mention their scummy fans... English fans set a great example compared to some of the scum you are likely to come across over there

Last edited by Novo; 05-12-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM #90
Victor to win!

Favourites:
Victor to win!

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
Russia's campaign was stronger?

England was the strongest by a mile.. they spent 15 Million on the bid alone and their presentation blew Russia's out the water, Russia's one of those virtual presentations like the Sims it was terrible.. should have lost votes alone just on that.... and all it shown was how it will be easier to get around the cities and the routes people can take.. England's presentation covered basically everything.. Their was so many more people behind the england bid as well and they wanted it a lot more then Russia did.. Where was Putin? he never even turned up in Zurich..

There was nothing strong about their bid at all.. and people that say it was strong are lying to themselves because it was one of the worst i have ever seen... given it to Russia was the worst thing FIFA could have done really.. They don't really know the meaning of Multi culture and the black players are going to be abused all through the tournament unless things drastically change over there and not to mention their scummy fans... English fans set a great example compared to some of the scum you are likely to come across over there
This is the typical bias opinion that is really getting annoying. The fact is.. England were very cocky and pretty much thought they had it in the bag a year before the decision was even made. You seem to think you won everything months before it even starts just like the 2010 World Cup where one newspaper was even arrogant enough to post the headline EASY for your group.

Do you not remember that around the 60s-80s, ENGLAND was also one of the worst countries for hooliganism out there yet they still won bids for the 1966 World Cup and European Championships 1996 as you keep reminding everyone every opportunity you ever get. Who says Russia won't clean up their act in the next 8 years like England did in the 90s and 00s? You are all jumping to conclusions too quickly about stereotypical Russian events.

Yes England had a strong bid, but you felt like you were invincible and that is what cost you.
danda012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM #91

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by danda012 View Post
This is the typical bias opinion that is really getting annoying. The fact is.. England were very cocky and pretty much thought they had it in the bag a year before the decision was even made. You seem to think you won everything months before it even starts just like the 2010 World Cup where one newspaper was even arrogant enough to post the headline EASY for your group.

Do you not remember that around the 60s-80s, ENGLAND was also one of the worst countries for hooliganism out there yet they still won bids for the 1966 World Cup and European Championships 1996 as you keep reminding everyone every opportunity you ever get. Who says Russia won't clean up their act in the next 8 years like England did in the 90s and 00s? You are all jumping to conclusions too quickly about stereotypical Russian events.

Yes England had a strong bid, but you felt like you were invincible and that is what cost you.
There is nothing Bias about it at all.. it's sad that you even think that.. there is obviously something seriously not right at FIFA.. nothing new there though.. they have been this sort of thing for to long and it's actually turning into a joke now... more so when Qatar's name was announced... a country like that can never host a succesful world cup and more importantly don't deserve to.. you can have all the money in the world but Love for the game comes before that and England have more passion then any of them put together.. and the group was Easy but England made it look hard.. so you can't blame the newspapers for writing that it was only the truth and England have never been as bad as the Russians are.. i think on the whole England fan's are well behaved over here

Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM #92

Well I agree with Remy. The press coverage of this on Friday was pretty embarrassing, in my opinion. Toys out the pram stuff.

If winning a World Cup bid was all about how good it was 'technically' - i.e stadiums and infrastructure - why did South Africa win 2010, and why is Brazil getting 2014?

Sometimes when you hear our media, especially before World Cup tournaments, it is if they think that England is the only place in the world that football is played to any serious standard at all.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM #93

Favourites (more):
BB11: Shabby

Favourites (more):
BB11: Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
That's the whole idea of a bid: you spend millions on something you're not sure of getting at the end.

Then again, it was up to England's marketing team to make it right and put the finger right in the middle of the target. They missed the target and I must say, Russia's campaign was stronger.

England lost because of it's cockiness. They were 100% sure to get the project and BAM! they didn't. Too bad for them to be honest because I'd have loved it to be the host but come on now, this is ridiculous.

Yes the Fifa gave Russia the World Cup for its natural resources but also because Russia's bid was the strongest.
But.. it wasn't. England came top in every inspection & I believe Russia/Qatar both came rock bottom.

Russia OK, they need to fix alot alot of thing but it could be a good world cup but Qatar? Its a joke, just shows how corrupt Fifa is.

---

I think its so immature on the voters part that they blame the English media for why they promised they're votes to England (Another indication England did have the best bid) & then switched, they let their personal feelings get in the way of what was supposed to be a professional ballot. How can our media be a valid reason? What has that got to do with anything about the ability to host a world cup?

Alot promised their votes directly to Prince William/David Cameron etc so they either have absolutely no class or have been gotten to, I sadly believe its a mix of both.

Last edited by AJ.; 05-12-2010 at 02:41 PM.
AJ. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM #94

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

There is no way you can have a successful world cup in Russia

not a chance in hell.

and FIFA knew that

Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM #95
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11921692

MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote