Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):

Default The Fee Petition(25th Nov) and My Friends (non) Involvement

Have you all seen that image on teh newspapers of a teen swearing at the camera at the petition riots??

The full story is this: (i am a friend of his)

He didn't even know the petition was going on, he was nearby because he was attending an interview (something that the papers DID get right), afterr the interview he came across the crowd, and a journalist told him to pose for the camera, after my friend questioned him why, he did it (yes foolishly), they (i think) slipped him a bit of money to swear and wear a "stolen" police helmet... my friend had no idea they were going to use his image and put "YOB" all over it. The next morning, he was in big trouble, and he was confused. The newspapers and journalists had mis represented him, and made him look like a thug. He phoned up the Daily Mirror and The Sun and had a go at them, as they were breaking the rules by issuing the picture without any truth. I think he is taking them to court now. But what annoyed me is teh fact comments on the websites said he was rich (which he isn't) and that he's a yob (which is false), they purposely misrepresented him.

So my teacher is helping him and going to talk to the police (who put him on bail). Thank God he is taking them to court.

Also, the police purposely isolated their van so it could be damages, and some people PAID people to graffiti and cause HAVOC to make it seem there was more students that were getting violent.

The man standing on the bonnet of the van was shouting for all the violence to stop, but they arrested him.

This proves how nasty journalists can be and how horrible The Sun and Daily Mirror can be, and can release some completely incorrect information. Surely breaking some sort of code?

Now, if you think the country was normal, think again, the country is ****ed up. They are trying to make all students look bad, even though they are not doing anything bad at all.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM #2
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB11: Sam
X Factor 2010: Cher Lloyd
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
they (i think) slipped him a bit of money to swear and wear a "stolen" police helmet...
Why would he swear and wear a stolen police helmet and think it wasn't for a good reason. Did he ask?

If your friend has a good solicitor then he could be looking at a very good pay out.
Miss Ivy Balls is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:44 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ivy Balls View Post
Why would he swear and wear a stolen police helmet and think it wasn't for a good reason. Did he ask?

If your friend has a good solicitor then he could be looking at a very good pay out.
My friends a little bit "out there" and eccentric but so far from a thug, he questioned them about 3 times, at the heat of the moment he didn't think they would use a jokey picture as a serious issue, so he just did it as a joke... now he hates most of the press and how they destroyed their codes and rules.

He was told by a teacher to talk to either The Telegraph or The Independent if he wanted to be taken seriously, no way would The Sun or any other, actually post the correct things.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:47 PM #4
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Take it through the courts definitely.
Miss Ivy Balls is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 PM #5
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
a journalist told him to pose for the camera, after my friend questioned him why, he did it (yes foolishly), they (i think) slipped him a bit of money to swear and wear a "stolen" police helmet...
Your friend questioned the journalist why 3 times, presumably he got some sort of answer and then put his faith in whatever answer the journalist gave him.
If you know all of this, how are you unsure if he accepted money? If he did accept money, did put on a police helmet (which clearly wasn't his), did swear and did agree to have his picture taken knowing all of this was clearly a set up.... - I have no pity.

Journalist asks passerby to pose for photo. Passerby agrees, (you think) takes money, also agrees to be photographed swearing & wearing 'stolen' police helmet poses for photograph taken during petition - giving journalist the picture he wanted (with your friend's permission remember)... then complains because of what is written.

I'd say he didn't have a leg to stand on.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 PM #6
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

I read this in the Daily Mail, arista posted the link in one of the student protest threads.

He was quoted as saying this; "I saw a police riot helmet on the ground and put it on to give the cameramen a picture.'"

And I'll say the same as I did back then, it was frankly stupid of him to do so. A journalist asks him to put a police helmet on and swear and he doesnt think this will be used against him? I mean seriously, what did he think would happen?
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I read this in the Daily Mail, arista posted the link in one of the student protest threads.

He was quoted as saying this; "I saw a police riot helmet on the ground and put it on to give the cameramen a picture.'"

And I'll say the same as I did back then, it was frankly stupid of him to do so. A journalist asks him to put a police helmet on and swear and he doesnt think this will be used against him? I mean seriously, what did he think would happen?
He didn't though, the journalists gave him the helmet.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
Your friend questioned the journalist why 3 times, presumably he got some sort of answer and then put his faith in whatever answer the journalist gave him.
If you know all of this, how are you unsure if he accepted money? If he did accept money, did put on a police helmet (which clearly wasn't his), did swear and did agree to have his picture taken knowing all of this was clearly a set up.... - I have no pity.

Journalist asks passerby to pose for photo. Passerby agrees, (you think) takes money, also agrees to be photographed swearing & wearing 'stolen' police helmet poses for photograph taken during petition - giving journalist the picture he wanted (with your friend's permission remember)... then complains because of what is written.

I'd say he didn't have a leg to stand on.
I have read the codes and rules journalists are supposed to abide by.

One was, they must not alter, crop or represent an image in a different way than shown, and that they must give the protester permission to use their shots in the papers in a truthful way.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:48 PM #9
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
Your friend knew what he was doing at the time. What did he think the journalist was going to write.....? "Youth has a bit of playful and innocent fun with police helmet"?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
Your friend knew what he was doing at the time. What did he think the journalist was going to write.....? "Youth has a bit of playful and innocent fun with police helmet"?
Look at journalists code and rules on the internet, they broke the law.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 PM #11
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
I have read the codes and rules journalists are supposed to abide by.

One was, they must not alter, crop or represent an image in a different way than shown, and that they must give the protester permission to use their shots in the papers in a truthful way.
And what about those who want a wee bit of notoriety (such as your friend) and being photographed for a newspaper - who (allegedly) took money, swore, wore a police helmet..... he clearly was happy enough to go along with the charade at the time. He's as bad as the journalist to be honest - he happily went along with posing for the pictures after a little bribe.

Have no sympathy for him. None. He thought it was a joke at the time... laughing on the other side of his face now when it all came home to roost.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 PM #12
Account Vacant

Account Vacant

Quote:
Look at journalists code and rules on the internet, they broke the law.
Tell your friend to get in touch with the Press Complaints Commission. Thats the independent body set up to investigate complaints from the public over things like this.

He asked the relevant bodies to print corrections etc, thats all he needs to do, get him to make a note of times and dates he spoke to them, as the PCC will need information like that.

Last edited by Shasown; 09-12-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Shasown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Adam

Quote:
Your friend is either incredibly naive, incredbily stupid or both - in any event he shouldn't be allowed out without his carer.

5 Kings: 1 throne
Angus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM #14

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

He agreed to have his picture took, what did he think the journalists were going to write? Not to mention its his word against theirs. It will get laughed out of court

Last edited by Tom; 09-12-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM #15
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
He didn't even know the petition was going on, he was nearby because he was attending an interview (something that the papers DID get right), afterr the interview he came across the crowd, and a journalist told him to pose for the camera, after my friend questioned him why, he did it (yes foolishly), they (i think) slipped him a bit of money to swear and wear a "stolen" police helmet... my friend had no idea they were going to use his image and put "YOB" all over it. The next morning, he was in big trouble, and he was confused. The newspapers and journalists had mis represented him, and made him look like a thug.
Few things I missed. You say above that your friend didn't know the petition was going on (which might be fair enough) but THEN came across the crowd. (therefore, at point of coming across the crowd, he, DID know 'something' was going on).

It was at that point (per your details above), that a journalist 'told' (you mean, 'asked') him to pose for a photo, asked him to wear a copper's hat, and requested that your friend start swearing and then took the photo and your friend agreed to do so - with the hint of getting some money for his trouble.

In other words, your friend was happy to be photographed acting like a yob. Not to put too fine a point on if, if the cap fits and all that.

I said it earlier: he hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 PM #16
-

-

Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fee, friends, involvement, nov, petition25th