Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 23-07-2011, 06:16 PM #26
more more more

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
BB15: Ashleigh

more more more

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
BB15: Ashleigh

Absolute legend! So so so gutted! huge fan of Amy

M X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 06:22 PM #27
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

I knew I made the right call seeing her in 2008, my mates said that we should wait to see her another year.

all her songs.
Old 23-07-2011, 07:23 PM #28
User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

User tanned

Favourites:

Celebrities respond to her death

Kelly Osbourne: i cant even breath right my now im crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy & will never forget the real you!

Samantha Ronson: "I'm not sure how anyone with a soul can make jokes about the passing of one of the most talented artists this generation will see."

Seth Meyers: Years ago Sudeikis told me Winehouse's "Valerie" was as good a start-the-day song you'll hear. He was right. I'll miss her.

Kim Kardashian: "I just heard the news that Amy Winehouse passed away. What a true talent. I pray she's in a better place & at peace." Kim Kardashian

Khloe Kardashian: Wow! I just heard about Amy Winehouse passing away! Wow! So sad what an amazing talent.

Demi Lovato: Amy Winehouse.. So sad. Unfortunately the world lost an incredibly talented woman to such a powerful disease... addiction. #RIP

"Glee's" Amber Riley: My friends and I were having an Amy Winehouse listening session last night. Shed a tear this morning, so young and very talented. RIP Amy

LeAnn Rimes: RIP Amy Winehouse. So sad to see such a talent gone and her life end in tragedy. This makes me terribly sad.

Emma Bunton: Such sad news about Amy Winehouse. My thoughts are with her family.

Carson Daly: RIP Amy Winehouse. How tragic.

Lance Bass: Another talent dies at 27- RIP - Amy Winehouse.

Alyssa Milano: Tragic. Rest in peace, Amy Winehouse.

Countess LuAnn de Lesseps: Such a tragic ending at such a young

Pete Wentz: super sad to hear about the news. RIP. never take life for granted.

Reba McEntire: Amy Winehouse found dead. So sad. Prayers go out for her family.

Nia Vardalos: Here too briefly, RIP Amy Winehouse.

Simon Pegg: Thoughts and love to those affected by the atrocity in Norway and terribly sad to hear about Amy Winehouse. Sweet and funny girl. Sad day.

Rob Thomas: R.I.P. AMY WINEHOUSE. wow. just wow.

Jenna Ushkowitz: RIP Amy Winehouse, so very talented and so sad.

Eve: my condolences to Amy Winehouse's family and friends RIP so sad

Bryan Adams: Dear Amy, you will be missed forever. All my love, RIP, Bryan

Michelle Branch: So gutted to hear about Amy Winehouse. I was just listening to her last night and we were talking about how we hoped she would get well. RIP

Marlee Matlin: just read on AP news..Amy Winehouse died. Shocking that such a young but troubled talent died. Tragic. Thoughts with her family. RIP.

Russell Simmons: I am deeply saddened to hear the passing of Amy Winehouse. She was an extraordinary talent who left us with tremendous gifts throughout her career. I send my sincerest condolences to her family, friends and fans.

Lisa Vanderpump: I am so saddened by the death of Amy Winehouse,an amazingly talented young woman..from hearing her first demo,knew she was unique..tragic.

Zachary Quinto: profoundly sad news to wake up to. i hope amy winehouse has found some peace.

Kevin McHale: you'll be missed, Amy Winehouse. too young.

AnnaLynne McCord: RIP Amy Winehouse -- this deeply saddens me. Life is so short. We all have something we do to distract us, something we do to ease the pain of life but the moment we embrace humanity we can find solace in the fact that WE ARE NOT ALONE. Death cometh to all men that is why life is a precious gift.

Danny DeVito: 27 year old Amy Winehouse dead. WTF man I dug her a lot. Very sad about this one! 27 Janice, 27 Jimmy, 27 Amy

Kimora Simmons: RIP Amy Winehouse. Love u always and 4ever. Ur #Talent can never be denied! Now u r at #Peace. Condolences 2 all the family.

Demi Moore: "Truly sad news about Amy Winehouse. My heart goes out to her family. May her troubled soul find peace."

Jessica Alba: "So sad about Amy Winehouse - she was so talented. Really tragic." Jessica Alba

Rob Thomas: "so many people saying that because it's not a surprise that amy winehouse passed, it's not sad. i hope you have more compassion for friends."

Joel Madden: "R.I.P. Amy. Your Voice will live Forever."

Sophia Bush: "This Amy Winehouse news is just so sad. To anyone struggling with addiction, please, please, please seek treatment."

Dave Navarro: "My God! So sad to hear about Amy Winehouse! My deepest condolences to her friends and family and fans. You will be missed Amy xoxox"

Fred Savage: "Hug and thank everyone in your life who loves u enough to not let u end up like Amy Winehouse. RIP Amy, I wish someone would have helped"

Dr. Drew Pinksy: "SO sad, another lost to addiction. A reminder this is often a fatal condition. Recovery is possible, but sadly not for Amy Winehouse"

Kevin Williamson: Amy Winehouse lived longer than I expected. Is that awful of me? I'm sorry, Amy (hash)RIP"

Jay Sean: "just heard the shocking news of Amy winehouse's death. Absolutely tragic. Such a talented artist. So sad."

Q-Tip: "The last time I spoke 2 amy I told her let her light shine more"
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 07:45 PM #29

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:

This was only on wednesday just gone, she looks completely fine and happy. So sad
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 07:46 PM #30
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Amazon are already very low in stock of her albums already with a delivery rate of 6 to 10 days.

Black To Black is already in the top 50 best selling album chart.

Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:32 AM #31

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

I am so sorry to hear it.
sooty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:34 AM #32

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

Amy at #1 in the iTunes Album chart
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:34 AM #33

Favourites:

Favourites:

& No.4 with Frank & Black to Black compilation

Last edited by Marc; 24-07-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 24-07-2011, 08:46 AM #34

Favourites:

Favourites:

Last edited by Marc; 24-07-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old 24-07-2011, 09:18 AM #35

Favourites:

Favourites:

Old 24-07-2011, 02:40 PM #36
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Beautiful sight..

Old 24-07-2011, 02:42 PM #37
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Seems odd that so many people didn't already own Back to Black. I bought it back in 2006 and apparently it's 6 x Platinum in the UK alone.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 02:55 PM #38
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
Seems odd that so many people didn't already own Back to Black. I bought it back in 2006 and apparently it's 6 x Platinum in the UK alone.
Its sold that many just in 2007 when it was the years biggest album.

It was the best-selling album in the UK in 2007, selling 1.85 million copies over the year

its sold over 3 million in the UK alone now. Plus it had massive international success in 2007/8.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Black
Old 24-07-2011, 03:02 PM #39

Favourites:

Favourites:

Old 24-07-2011, 03:14 PM #40
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc

Slightly inappropriate but am I the only person who thinks amy is like Janice from friends (voice and look wise)
Sam:) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 11:35 AM #41
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Probably will get hate for this, but always loved this song

Old 25-07-2011, 01:37 PM #42
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Back to black #6 on UK itunes singles chart
Rehab #10 on US itunes singles chart
Rehab #2 on France itunes singles chart
Rehab, Valerie, B2B all in Dutch top 10

Album Back to black now topping 17 countries itunes chart. She holds 3 of the top 6 positions on US itunes.
Old 25-07-2011, 01:47 PM #43

Favourites:

Favourites:

Don't know why people are buying rehab its hardly the most fitting song of hers now

Still its good to see her music back in the charts, Back to Black (song) only managed #25 in the UK so that'll deservingly be topped this week.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 01:49 PM #44
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post
Don't know why people are buying rehab its hardly the most fitting song of hers now

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 03:21 PM #45
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Somebody posted this in the other thread(I think Jack) but I've just read it elsewhere and think it's just the best tribute I've read so far: so succinct, poignant and heartfelt.

Russell Brands tribute

When you love someone who suffers from the disease of addiction you await the phone call. There will be a phone call. The sincere hope is that the call will be from the addict themselves, telling you they've had enough, that they're ready to stop, ready to try something new. Of course though, you fear the other call, the sad nocturnal chime from a friend or relative telling you it's too late, she's gone.

Frustratingly it's not a call you can ever make it must be received. It is impossible to intervene.

I've known Amy Winehouse for years. When I first met her around Camden she was just some twit in a pink satin jacket shuffling round bars with mutual friends, most of whom were in cool Indie bands or peripheral Camden figures Withnail-ing their way through life on impotent charisma. Carl Barrat told me that "Winehouse" (which I usually called her and got a kick out of cos it's kind of funny to call a girl by her surname) was a jazz singer, which struck me as a bizarrely anomalous in that crowd. To me with my limited musical knowledge this information placed Amy beyond an invisible boundary of relevance; "Jazz singer? She must be some kind of eccentric" I thought. I chatted to her anyway though, she was after all, a girl, and she was sweet and peculiar but most of all vulnerable.

I was myself at that time barely out of rehab and was thirstily seeking less complicated women so I barely reflected on the now glaringly obvious fact that Winehouse and I shared an affliction, the disease of addiction. All addicts, regardless of the substance or their social status share a consistent and obvious symptom; they're not quite present when you talk to them. They communicate to you through a barely discernible but un-ignorable veil. Whether a homeless smack head troubling you for 50p for a cup of tea or a coked-up, pinstriped exec foaming off about his "speedboat" there is a toxic aura that prevents connection. They have about them the air of elsewhere, that they're looking through you to somewhere else they'd rather be. And of course they are. The priority of any addict is to anaesthetise the pain of living to ease the passage of the day with some purchased relief.

From time to time I'd bump into Amy she had good banter so we could chat a bit and have a laugh, she was "a character" but that world was riddled with half cut, doped up chancers, I was one of them, even in early recovery I was kept afloat only by clinging to the bodies of strangers so Winehouse, but for her gentle quirks didn't especially register.

Then she became massively famous and I was pleased to see her acknowledged but mostly baffled because I'd not experienced her work and this not being the 1950's I wondered how a "jazz singer" had achieved such cultural prominence. I wasn't curious enough to do anything so extreme as listen to her music or go to one of her gigs, I was becoming famous myself at the time and that was an all consuming experience. It was only by chance that I attended a Paul Weller gig at the Roundhouse that I ever saw her live.

I arrived late and as I made my way to the audience through the plastic smiles and plastic cups I heard the rolling, wondrous resonance of a female vocal. Entering the space I saw Amy on stage with Weller and his band; and then the awe. The awe that envelops when witnessing a genius. From her oddly dainty presence that voice, a voice that seemed not to come from her but from somewhere beyond even Billie and Ella, from the font of all greatness. A voice that was filled with such power and pain that it was at once entirely human yet laced with the divine. My ears, my mouth, my heart and mind all instantly opened. Winehouse. Winehouse? Winehouse! That twerp, all eyeliner and lager dithering up Chalk Farm Road under a back-combed barnet, the lips that I'd only seen clenching a fishwife fag and dribbling curses now a portal for this holy sound. So now I knew. She wasn't just some hapless wannabe, yet another pissed up nit who was never gonna make it, nor was she even a ten-a-penny-chanteuse enjoying her fifteen minutes. She was a ********** genius.

Shallow fool that I am I now regarded her in a different light, the light that blazed down from heaven when she sang. That lit her up now and a new phase in our friendship began. She came on a few of my TV and radio shows, I still saw her about but now attended to her with a little more interest. Publicly though, Amy increasingly became defined by her addiction. Our media though is more interested in tragedy than talent, so the ink began to defect from praising her gift to chronicling her downfall. The destructive personal relationships, the blood soaked ballet slippers, the aborted shows, that youtube madness with the baby mice. In the public perception this ephemeral tittle-tattle replaced her timeless talent. This and her manner in our occasional meetings brought home to me the severity of her condition. Addiction is a serious disease; it will end with jail, mental institutions or death. I was 27 years old when through the friendship and help of Chip Somers of the treatment centre, Focus12 I found recovery, through Focus I was introduced to support fellowships for alcoholics and drug addicts which are very easy to find and open to anybody with a desire to stop drinking and without which I would not be alive.

Now Amy Winehouse is dead, like many others whose unnecessary deaths have been retrospectively romanticised, at 27 years old. Whether this tragedy was preventable or not is now irrelevant. It is not preventable today. We have lost a beautiful and talented woman to this disease. Not all addicts have Amy's incredible talent. Or Kurt's or Jimi's or Janis's, some people just get the affliction. All we can do is adapt the way we view this condition, not as a crime or a romantic affectation but as a disease that will kill. We need to review the way society treats addicts, not as criminals but as sick people in need of care. We need to look at the way our government funds rehabilitation. It is cheaper to rehabilitate an addict than to send them to prison, so criminalisation doesn't even make economic sense. Not all of us know someone with the incredible talent that Amy had but we all know drunks and junkies and they all need help and the help is out there. All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call.

Last edited by Zippy; 25-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 25-07-2011, 05:40 PM #46
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

just saw this russell brand tribute and thought it was very well written.

just remembered she actually won 5 grammys. Wow such a waste. It's true that its impossible to intervene unless the troubled person is the one willing to change but I wonder if anybody really tried hard enough. Like that Belgrade clip, she was clearly unwell and all the manager or whoever the tall black guy was that kept shoving the mike back in her face cared about was her performing.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 25-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 05:48 PM #47
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
Probably will get hate for this, but always loved this song

I remember that. Sadly just a poor version of:

though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 06:14 PM #48
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I remember that. Sadly just a poor version of:

though
yeah thats true. I have that on my ipod though. I think its like the oldest song I have haha
Old 25-07-2011, 06:19 PM #49
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 06:42 PM #50
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

Adele's tribute

Not many people have it in them to do something they love, simply because they love it. With no fuss and no compromise. But she knew what she was capable of and didn’t even need to try. If she wanted to do something she would and if she didn’t she’d say fck off. It came easy to her and that’s why we all loved her so much. We believed every word she wrote, and it would sink in deep when she sang them. Amy paved the way for artists like me and made people excited about british music again whilst being fearlessly hilarious and blase about the whole thing. I don’t think she ever realised just how brilliant she was and how important she is, but that just makes her even more charming. Although im incredibly sad about Amy passing im also reminded of how immensely proud of her I am as well. and grateful to be inspired by her. Amy flies in paradise xx

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amy, thread, tribute, winehouse