Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 15-09-2011, 02:43 AM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Kelis "Racial issues in the UK are disgusting"

Quote:
Kelis has claimed that racial issues in the UK are "disgusting".

The 'Bounce' singer made the comments on Twitter after she was allegedly racially abused at an airport in London.

Kelis said: "We get in the passport control line and apparently p*ssed this one man off cause he thought I cut the line. Which wouldn't be far fetched of me but this time I actually didn't (not entirely anyway). (sic)

"Well the point is from 0 to 60 this fat red faced sweaty 'man' (I use the word man loosely here) started calling me a slave and told me to call him sir and how I was probably a disgusting Nigerian. He called me ****a Kinte and ranted and raved some more. The man behind the passport desk laughed, shook his head in agreement I guess, and said '****a Kinte'."

****a Kinte was the central slave character in Alex Haley's Roots: The Saga of an American Family and the TV miniseries Roots based on the novel.

"All the while the entire line full of people I just sat on a plane with for almost 3 hours over 50 people said nothing," Kelis continued.

"I mean literally nothing. Didn't flinch. We all no I'm no saint, so I retaliated. Not the way I wanted to or how that pig deserved. But #1 my gorgeous baby boy was literally sitting on my hip and #2 I'm a believer. And we are better. Sposed to be."

She added: "Anyway, it made me think. This person was aprox a 50 year old English man. I didn't say anything at the time of the riots in London for a lot of reasons. But I am in London all the time and today I'm gonna say that the racial issues in the UK are disgusting.

"It's racially decades behind progression because everything is swept under the rug. People don't talk about it. People don't fight about it."

Kelis concluded: "Not mentioning a problem doesn't make it go away. I bring it up now because as an American it is abundantly clear that my country has a Smorgas board (spelling?) Of disgusting racial problems.

"We are the poster child for racial inequality even still with a black president, but its NO SECRET! And that I can fight against. I can try to prepare and teach my son. Because its out there. But you can't fight for or against something no one is willing to talk about or even admit exist.

"Everyone wants to be politically correct. But who really cares? And what does that help. I could go on and on. I won't. But maybe someone will start to talk about it from here."
Any point she did have has been voided by the fact that she's just gone and stereotyped a whole nation herself. It's a bit hypocritical.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 02:46 AM #2
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Sounds rather dramatic
Old 15-09-2011, 02:51 AM #3

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

LOL at her blasting the whole of the UK, aren't we the only ones still buying her music? (well sort of..)
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 03:20 AM #4
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

I read this earlier, seems unfair to accuse a whole nation of having "racial issues" just because of one incident at an airport, of all places. I bet she pushed in, too.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 03:35 AM #5
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Daft bitch. We're a hell of a lot better than her home country I'd say the UK is probably one of the most tolerant places in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
kelis