Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB12 Big Brother 12 started on Thursday Sept 9th 2011 on Channel 5 for a 9-week run. The series was won by Aaron. Tell us what you thought about the housemates and series in this forum.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:24 PM #1

Default UK or US - Big Brother

A lot of people seem to like the BB US format of the show, dare i say even prefer it to our own version? I'd expect it's a bit more explosive, but does it have genuine moments where it's not about strategy and alliances, but just Real people.

What was the Best thing you saw?

What was the Worst thing you saw?
Cromwell1900 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM #2

A bit of both. Game play should be rewarded in UK if done well.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:32 PM #3
Take me to the hole!

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2019: Ryan-Mark
BB18: Raph
Take me to the hole!

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2019: Ryan-Mark
BB18: Raph

Really don't like the US version of BB. It really is just a gameshow all about strategy and tactics, rather than a personality/popularity competition which the UK version is (although for some reason people get the idea our version is strictly a gameshow as well)

Last edited by Maia; 10-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Maia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie. View Post
Really don't like the US version of BB. It really is just a gameshow all about strategy and tactics, rather than a personality/popularity competition which the UK version is (although for some reason people get the idea our version is strictly a gameshow as well)
Hm! never thought of BB-UK as a popularity contest but yep, i think that's what it was intended to be and still is largely. I think all this talk about it's a game-show came about as a reason for liking someone thoroughly unlikable, we all love the bad guy after all.

Gonna miss BBUK if it morphes into BBUS.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I prefer the Orwell verson. Chuck them all in Room 101. I'd tune in for that, definitely.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM #6
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

I would like a mix of buk,usa and france

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM #7
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

BBUS I think

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM #8
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Never watched it. It never ever took my fancy for some reason.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM #9

I'm kinda conflicted! Right now as in this season I think BBUK is better but it depends on the cast. Of course the shows are very different but I think both shows could and should learn from the other. I wish there was a vocal Big Brother in the US show. I think the audience would love it. BBUS seasons 2,3,5,6,7,10 all great to me. Especially seasons 2,3, 7 & 10 BBUK seasons 2, 3,5, 6, 7 and this season are all worth a watch. If I had to choose one version I would have to choose the UK version as I think the whole experience is tougher and with a house mate like Aaron I think the show is going in the right direction.
showtime77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:37 PM #10

Favourites (more):
BB16: Eileen
BBCanada 3: Godfrey

Favourites (more):
BB16: Eileen

US has less "genuine moments" because there's only 3 shows a week and a bunch of gameplay competitions happen on a strict schedule - I'd love to see the US format used in the UK but with 7 shows a week.

The best moments are from BBUK but BBUS is more consistently entertaining.
TheManWhoLaughs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM #11

the us version feels over produced like a film. bbuk and bb au are raw
pegson123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM #12

I'm in the US and have watched it from the beginning, and this was my first full series BBUK experience. If I had to pick one I'd pick UK as the US has gotten very predictable. It's all talking strategy and alliances, and the tasks are short, few and repetitive. I still watch religiously and track the online feed summary web sites, but it needs some revamping.

I like the variety of tasks and audience participation of BBUK and all of the talk in the diary room. I like the feeling that they are all in it together rather then everyone in it for themselves. I like that they show tender and fun moments between couples instead of mainly talk about getting someone else evicted.

I'm sure it's a "grass is greener" situation and a long time BBUK fan would find BBUS an interesting change, but I've really enjoyed this year's series and will be watching next summer - maybe at the expense of following the US show.
Damitol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM #13

I'm kinda conflicted! Right now as in this season I think BBUK is better but it depends on the cast. Of course the shows are very different but I think both shows could and should learn from the other. I wish there was a vocal Big Brother in the US show. I think the audience would love it. BBUS seasons 2,3,5,6,7,10 all great to me. Especially seasons 2,3, 7 & 10 BBUK seasons 2, 3,5, 6, 7 and this season are all worth a watch. If I had to choose one version I would have to choose the UK version as I think the whole experience is tougher and with a house mate like Aaron I think the show is going in the right direction.
showtime77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM #14

Favourites (more):
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB16: Nick

Yea the US version feels REALLLLY fake nowadays. Especially now that the previous HMs are doing a lot of reality **** and talking with fans constantly about their time in the house and how production hinted and manipulated their opinions at times. I don't think a format change would bring in much more viewers in the UK.
jyunga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM #15
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

BBUS... at least we have a live feed. But the current producer has run out of ideas. We need to bring back BB2-7's producer and also make them keep the feeds on 24/7 or cut the audio (If you haven't signed awaiver to have ur name mentioned bb shuts the feeds off same as singing also comps are usually not shown on feeds to get people to watch the shows but we find out who wins anyway thanks to the looks on hgs faces and memory wall) (to signify that a hg is safe thier key is under thier picture, if your key isn't under your pic, ur nommed, to signify a hg that is no longer in the game the pic turns to black and white)
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM #16

Favourites:
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon

Favourites:
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon

I like both the US and UK shows. I wish the US would go back to the raw uncut diary room sessions instead of them sounding like they have been rehersing. They both should not put in die hard fans of the show. They take away a lot of the suprises.
BBfan6418 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM #17

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 5: Jackie
BBUSA19: Jessica

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 5: Jackie
BBUSA19: Jessica

I watch both but overall I much prefer BBUK. I don't think I would be able to live without a public vote! lol
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM #18
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB15: Danielle
BBUSA16: Cody

Love them both, US i find more entertaining, although its only on 3 times a week. So i Like BB UK as its on more. So I like them the same, I have watched from series 5 on both UK & US
MeMyselfAndI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM #19

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBUSA15: Candice

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBUSA15: Candice

I'm from the US and watch both, and honestly I don't think I can answer this question fully. I like them both for different reasons. BBUK has produced some epic characters such as Nikki, Makosi, Charley, etc, and I love the whole process of an eviction because of the crowd and the housemates worrying about whether they'll get cheered or booed.

That being said, it's very easy to get addicted to BBUS if you watch the live feeds / showtime after dark. Watching BBUS can be a roller coaster ride, tbh, because in our version each week one person wins "HoH" and single handedly makes the nominations. That means that if you get really into the show and start rooting for a particular alliance hardcore, you have up weeks and down weeks. For me this year, the alliance I was rooting for was down at the final 9, 3 people against 6. I went from being thrilled one week when one of my faves won HoH and was able to keep them all safe, to downright depressed the next week when someone from the other alliance won HoH, meaning one of my faves was definitely going to be evicted. BBUS is an all out war when the house splits in two like it often does, and I think BBUK can't quite replicate that. Yeah, this series we had Aaron vs Anton, but we all knew that Aaron's side was going to win every week, because the public had full control. BBUS can flip on a dime from a single competition. Anyone who watched this season can vouch that Porsche & Rachel are probably the LAST two people they would've predicted to make it to the final two early on, and yet they both made it by following different paths.
Gemmachi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 PM #20

I prefer Big Brother UK. I am looking forward to the return of Australia's Big Brother in the new year. Big Brother US is awful... Remember Big Brother 9, the winter edition? The housemates were horrible. I remember a CBS exec commenting "put some lipstick on that pig."
=^..^= is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 PM #21

I love the personality that is Big Bro, loses it's charm without it. So no DR chat's in the US version then, some of the best moments have come from the DR like Nicki Graham's "Who is she" and Siavash falling over dressed as a barrell

http://bigbroweb.co.uk/big-brother-1...r-siavash.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damitol View Post
I'm in the US and have watched it from the beginning, and this was my first full series BBUK experience. If I had to pick one I'd pick UK as the US has gotten very predictable. It's all talking strategy and alliances, and the tasks are short, few and repetitive. I still watch religiously and track the online feed summary web sites, but it needs some revamping.

I like the variety of tasks and audience participation of BBUK and all of the talk in the diary room. I like the feeling that they are all in it together rather then everyone in it for themselves. I like that they show tender and fun moments between couples instead of mainly talk about getting someone else evicted.

I'm sure it's a "grass is greener" situation and a long time BBUK fan would find BBUS an interesting change, but I've really enjoyed this year's series and will be watching next summer - maybe at the expense of following the US show.
Yep! from the start the Hm's are in it together, and it's all about which friends you make along the way, rather than which people will help you reach the final, it does play a part in the UK version, but only toward the end when Friendships are sealed anyway.

The Uk task's are too few and far between, daily tasks would be good.

Last edited by Cromwell1900; 10-11-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM #22
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan
Challenge Destroyer

Favourites:
BB14: Gina
BB14 USA: Dan

BB US and its not even close.

BB US is BBUK plus more.
SoBig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM #23

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ash
UBB: Victor

Favourites (more):
BB15: Ash
UBB: Victor

loved Siavash he was my fav

but Nikki grahame
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM #24

Coming from BB AU to UK i was surprised how obvious the camera's are in the UK version, and really noticed HMs looking into them. The Aussie house camera's seemed very much concealed, and i think the show has a much more natural feel simply for that reason. How does the US version compare re: the camera's.

Last edited by psychtracker; 10-11-2011 at 08:15 PM.
psychtracker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM #25

Favourites:
BB15: Ashleigh

Favourites:
BB15: Ashleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damitol View Post

I am also American and always watched BBUS, this is also my first time watching BBUK and I love it! It manage to captivate me more than any US season after Dr Will.

I think the US version should borrow some aspects from the UK. For example not allow nomination talks once in a while. The US version is all about aliances and good people end up evicted because of this.

On the other hand, I like the US competitions better, although they are predictable; the UK version should have something similar to veto and food competition. Also when people screw up with the food budget, those that mess it up for the rest should be punished... similar to the have nots concept in BBUS.

The most refreshing thing about BBUK are the people, this show develops peoples characters more than the US version. The diary room visits show us alot, so we become more invested in these people. The US does not do this very well, so there isnt such a cult following. I must say though, that the UK peeps seem to polite, to sweet... no one really wants to be bold or cause real fights/drama as in the US version.

All in all, I think we can borrow ideas from eachother... I also agree that we gravitate towards whats different, and could be why UK peeps like the US version and the US peeps, like the UK version.

PS: Im not sure like the audience voting though because it skews results to wards one demographic - Usualy the youngsters. This causes a popularity contest aspect i dont like.... maybe there is a way to mix both.
Yayita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, uk