Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:34 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Default Bulldozers to move into Dale Farm on 19/9/11 with the gypsys inside

After my other thread was rudely locked, and after seeing the squatter discussion I thought this would be a good topic

Is it right that they're being forced to leave despite owning the land and being on one place? Or is it their own fault for not getting planning permission and building on green belt land?

I'm more shocked its taken 10 years to take such action.

More info here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-notice.html

Last edited by Tom; 06-09-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM #2
User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

I haven't followed the story enough to give a definite opinion. But they will have to live somewhere eventually and you're basically just moving the problem around. If theyve been there for 10 years then it may just be best all round to let them stay.

But again, I'm not up on all the facts so..
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I haven't followed the story enough to give a definite opinion. But they will have to live somewhere eventually and you're basically just moving the problem around. If theyve been there for 10 years then it may just be best all round to let them stay.

But again, I'm not up on all the facts so..
They're mainly being moved on because its greenbelt land and they didn't sought planning permission. But you could liken it to council estates up and down the country being bulldozed for 'urban regeneration'
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM #4
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Well to be fair they are "travellers".

I'm sure they'll be right.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 PM #5
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
They're mainly being moved on because its greenbelt land and they didn't sought planning permission. But you could liken it to council estates up and down the country being bulldozed for 'urban regeneration'
No one else should get away with it...why should they be any different from anyone else who has to follow the law?
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM #6
0_o

0_o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14804705

Wanted 6m to move out
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 01:37 PM #7

Big Brother Winner Paddy
was Live on SkyNews.

Saying they are people help them.

Last edited by arista; 19-09-2011 at 01:45 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 01:43 PM #8

Dangerous protest: Emma, right, is attached to
a scaffolding pole with a bike chain around her neck.
She and fellow protester Dean, left, are also handcuffed to a pole inside the barrel

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1YPDVpylf

They can go in a Side way away from the protester gangs
Old 19-09-2011, 01:56 PM #9
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Get in there with some bolt croppers and a Kango, remove the misguided lefties and woolly-minded hand-wringers and throw the lot of them off the land they are now occupying illegally. If the travellers hadn't broken the law in the first place they'd not be in the process of being evicted now. You can't claim special privileges because you are a minority. You must live by the laws on the land in which you choose to live.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 02:05 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Get in there with some bolt croppers and a Kango, remove the misguided lefties and woolly-minded hand-wringers and throw the lot of them off the land they are now occupying illegally. If the travellers hadn't broken the law in the first place they'd not be in the process of being evicted now. You can't claim special privileges because you are a minority. You must live by the laws on the land in which you choose to live.

Better to go round the Side
and break in leaving those at the front.

SkyNews think they will try to enter tomorrow.
Also just shown on SkyNews
a pile of Rocks ready to use against the Police.
Ballons full of paint etc.

Last edited by arista; 19-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 19-09-2011, 02:08 PM #11

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

I see both sides I think,these travellers actually bought the land which I presume the council greedily took the money for,however the travellers have built on it and have lived there for TEN years,the council now want to move them on,will they give them their money back?Do the travellers pay council tax and for water etc?if not that's not fair to all other people that have to,but we do pay lots of housing benefit and council tax for loads of benefit scroungers,so cant see much difference really and these people are human beings they need somewhere to live,have they been offered permanent housing,I heard some had and refused ! so it's a hard one really to answer with any certainty.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 02:24 PM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanne View Post
I see both sides I think,these travellers actually bought the land which I presume the council greedily took the money for,however the travellers have built on it and have lived there for TEN years,the council now want to move them on,will they give them their money back?Do the travellers pay council tax and for water etc?if not that's not fair to all other people that have to,but we do pay lots of housing benefit and council tax for loads of benefit scroungers,so cant see much difference really and these people are human beings they need somewhere to live,have they been offered permanent housing,I heard some had and refused ! so it's a hard one really to answer with any certainty.
I can see both sides too,especially after Kelvin Mckenzie spouting out with his hysterics on This Morning made me re-think how I thought a bit too.

They shouldn't have built on the land but did buy it. I don't know if they pay water rates or council tax, I would doubt they do but cannot say for certain.

It's costing £18 million pound to evict them anyway,it seems there is little common sense on both sides on this one. It's hard to believe some better compromise could not have been thought of and talked through rather than reach where things are now after 10 years too.What has been going on all that time?
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 02:28 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I can see both sides too,especially after Kelvin Mckenzie spouting out with his hysterics on This Morning made me re-think how I thought a bit too.

They shouldn't have built on the land but did buy it. I don't know if they pay water rates or council tax, I would doubt they do but cannot say for certain.

It's costing £18 million pound to evict them anyway,it seems there is little common sense on both sides on this one. It's hard to believe some better compromise could not have been thought of and talked through rather than reach where things are now after 10 years too.What has been going on all that time?
Well said Joey,I can't help feel a bit sorry for the kids,are they in school?I heard some of them are being schooled properly,it's hard to know where to go on this one,I just hope someone doesn't get hurt.

Old 19-09-2011, 02:31 PM #14
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
if they did buy the land from the council, they would have been made even more aware that planning permission would be limited, if it was granted at all. They were granted permission for a number of homes but built three times the amount, putting a strain on the roads, the schools, gas, electric, water etc. by building and living there with no planning permission. If they get away with this they will be setting a dangerous legal precident and open up opportunities for everyone to throw up buildings and then claim they are a special case.

I also heard they'd been offered permanent housing and refused. I've also read in the newspaper and online that most of these people own homes in Ireland already. I don't know if any of that is true.

I have travellers living near me. They got planning permission for their site, their kids attend the local school, they take part in local events and stuff and I have to say, they seem to be really nice people. Dale Farm makes it bad for people like them, other travellers who abide by the law.
Old 19-09-2011, 02:34 PM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post

That's all very understanding Joey, but as you know, once a legal precident has been set, other people will use it to bend and break the law in the same way.

It#s been going on so long because it takes years to bring a case like this.

The only compromise that should have been reached is that the travellers should have applied for planning permission and if they didn't get it, they should have abided by the law. You would have to, I would have to... why would anyone think the travellers are a special case?
Old 19-09-2011, 02:36 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
if they did buy the land from the council, they would have been made even more aware that planning permission would be limited, if it was granted at all. They were granted permission for a number of homes but built three times the amount, putting a strain on the roads, the schools, gas, electric, water etc. by building and living there with no planning permission. If they get away with this they will be setting a dangerous legal precident and open up opportunities for everyone to throw up buildings and then claim they are a special case.

I also heard they'd been offered permanent housing and refused. I've also read in the newspaper and online that most of these people own homes in Ireland already. I don't know if any of that is true.

I have travellers living near me. They got planning permission for their site, their kids attend the local school, they take part in local events and stuff and I have to say, they seem to be really nice people. Dale Farm makes it bad for people like them, other travellers who abide by the law.

Thanks for that info Livia,must say I don't know that much about their lives,from what you say it does seem that they have broken the law,but part of me still feels a bit sorry for them.Any idea why they refused permanent housing?

Old 19-09-2011, 02:37 PM #17

Ch4 Dispatches 8PM tonight
is on this Eviction.

Today reports on Radio 5 Debate 9AM
said some of these that live here have homes as well.

So some of this is a Scam.
Old 19-09-2011, 02:37 PM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Thanks for that info Livia,must say I don't know that much about their lives,from what you say it does seem that they have broken the law,but part of me still feels a bit sorry for them.Any idea why they refused permanent housing?
I don't know if they were offered permanent housing Kazanne. I read that they were, and that they refused because it was against their culture. Of course, it's not wise to believe everything you read in the papers, as you know!
Old 19-09-2011, 02:38 PM #19
Banned

Favourites:
UBB: Victor
Banned

Favourites:
UBB: Victor

Send in the Para's.
spitfire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 02:39 PM #20

Quote:
I don't know if they were offered permanent housing Kazanne. I read that they were, and that they refused because it was against their culture. Of course, it's not wise to believe everything you read in the papers, as you know!

The Council offered Proper Homes
but they refused to take them.
Old 19-09-2011, 02:40 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
Send in the Para's.

Thats a Point
use Helicopters to Drop police in
Old 19-09-2011, 02:46 PM #22

Cool

They fought the law and the law won - send in the Ghurkas .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 02:52 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But surely by their very name'travellers'would mean that it is not their culture to have a permanent address which begs the question,Why have they built permanent homes on the site,Oh dear this one is very complicated lets hope it gets sorted without much harm to anyone.I am wondering if the council are kicking up a fuss because it was greenbelt land or because local people have complained.

Old 19-09-2011, 03:05 PM #24
Keyser Suze

Keyser Suze

Quote:
Well said Joey,I can't help feel a bit sorry for the kids,are they in school?I heard some of them are being schooled properly,it's hard to know where to go on this one,I just hope someone doesn't get hurt.
I agree with you and Joey. There are good and bad points on both sides. If there was money involved for purchase of the land, then they need to be compensated for it. If housing is offered, they need to take it at least for now, so their children at least have a roof over their heads. But the whole situation definitely needs further looking into imo.

Last edited by Suze; 19-09-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Suze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 03:09 PM #25

Why are they getting loads of Rocks, ready
to chuck at Police?

Ref: SkyNews Live

Last edited by arista; 19-09-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bulldozers, dale, farm, gypsys, inside, move