Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB9 Celebrity Big Brother 9 on Channel 5, was shown January 2012 and won by Denise Welch. Discuss the series here.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 PM #51
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
When Bill Hicks was alive he'd come over here and take the mick out of the English loads. I specifically remember a bit he did about footy hooligans and a bit he did about John Major among other things and the audiences lapped it up. American comics whenever they come over here always have a go at our food and accents (usually generalised cliches as they think we all talk like the Queen or Dick Van Dyke) and we take it on the chin. I didn't see the Jerry Seinfeld piece you referred to but I'd probably have found it quite funny as would a lot of other brits who don't give a stuff about the monarchy.

You do seem to be quite anti-English in the same way you're accusing the English of being anti-American. I think you may just be reading too much into the results of some rather crappy reality tv shows. The Americans that have taken part in them have hardly been the most respected or talented Americans in the public eye, or they wouldn't have been on those crappy reality shows in the first place, so you can't expect them to win just because they're American.
Ive lived here most of my life and I see us as hypocritical in many ways....the monarchy is a prime example....its a farce and we should allow american comics to rip the pis* out of them imho
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 PM #52
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Ive lived here most of my life and I see us as hypocritical in many ways....the monarchy is a prime example....its a farce and we should allow american comics to rip the pis* out of them imho
So it's fine for Americans to do that to us, but xenophobic when we do it to them.

Having lived here and in the USA, I'd say, per head of capita, they've got just as many idiots as we've got. My experience is that people are pretty much the same wherever you live.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM #53
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
So it's fine for Americans to do that to us, but xenophobic when we do it to them.

Having lived here and in the USA, I'd say, per head of capita, they've got just as many idiots as we've got. My experience is that people are pretty much the same wherever you live.
no . yet again youve misinterpeted me. deliberately. we take the mickey out of the americans and all things american everywhere, on tv, in the papers and on the street. even in one on one situations we mock america and pour scorn on all they believe in...we claim we have ironic humour and they havent...we claim theyre insular and stupid and ignorant, yet we still march to war with them every time? they treat us very well over there. certainly they roll out the red carpet for us brits in entertainment and sports. but we do not do the same. as i stated theyll have an englishman host their awards and mock all things american...we meanwhile would NEVER have a yank rip the pis* out of us and our monarchy at the baftas....oh no no we must have quinessential englishman stephen fry ....every single year....for me gervais crosses the line anyway...hes not clever enough to have a laugh without going out of his way to hurt people...his endless atheist rants on mainstream tv are unfunny and totally and utterly inapproipriate yet the americans still give him another go

.as for bill hicks he was a genius who analysed and mocked the absurdity of many things including corporations governments etc he poured scorn on corrupt hypocritical governments and in fairness we did take to bill hicks...BUT we cannot accept the americans mocking britishness or the monarchy...that makes us hypocrites.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 PM #54
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
no . yet again youve misinterpeted me. deliberately. we take the mickey out of the americans and all things american everywhere, on tv, in the papers and on the street. even in one on one situations we mock america and pour scorn on all they believe in...we claim we have ironic humour and they havent...we claim theyre insular and stupid and ignorant, yet we still march to war with them every time? they treat us very well over there. certainly they roll out the red carpet for us brits in entertainment and sports. but we do not do the same. as i stated theyll have an englishman host their awards and mock all things american...we meanwhile would NEVER have a yank rip the pis* out of us and our monarchy at the baftas....oh no no we must have quinessential englishman stephen fry ....every single year....for me gervais crosses the line anyway...hes not clever enough to have a laugh without going out of his way to hurt people...his endless atheist rants on mainstream tv are unfunny and totally and utterly inapproipriate yet the americans still give him another go

.as for bill hicks he was a genius who analysed and mocked the absurdity of many things including corporations governments etc he poured scorn on corrupt hypocritical governments and in fairness we did take to bill hicks...BUT we cannot accept the americans mocking britishness or the monarchy...that makes us hypocrites.
Please stop trying to feed me this concept that ALL Americans are accepting and gracious and ALL Brits are xenophobic idiots. I've lived and worked in Denver, New York and Washington and believe me, there isn't that much difference between the way I interacted with people there, and the way I interact with people here in the UK.

Ricky Gervais is so hopeless that this year he's been asked to host the Golden Globes again. That's not because the good old Americans are giving him another go... it's because he makes them laugh. Because you don't get him doesn't mean he's not funny. I didn't find Bill Hicks that funny.... that doesn't mean he wasn't, it means he's not my taste.

You have the idea that you're the only Brit on here who is not an idiot. I'd be interested to know where is was you lived when you lived abroad. I'm guessing it wasn't the USA... or that you've ever been there.

Michael Madsen is a prime example. How much support does he have on this forum? Even people who don't name him as their favourite agree that he's cool. I've hardly seen anyone say he's a bad housemate, and I've seen no one say they dislike him because he's an American.
Old 13-01-2012, 01:38 AM #55
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Please stop trying to feed me this concept that ALL Americans are accepting and gracious and ALL Brits are xenophobic idiots. I've lived and worked in Denver, New York and Washington and believe me, there isn't that much difference between the way I interacted with people there, and the way I interact with people here in the UK.

Ricky Gervais is so hopeless that this year he's been asked to host the Golden Globes again. That's not because the good old Americans are giving him another go... it's because he makes them laugh. Because you don't get him doesn't mean he's not funny. I didn't find Bill Hicks that funny.... that doesn't mean he wasn't, it means he's not my taste.

You have the idea that you're the only Brit on here who is not an idiot. I'd be interested to know where is was you lived when you lived abroad. I'm guessing it wasn't the USA... or that you've ever been there.

Michael Madsen is a prime example. How much support does he have on this forum? Even people who don't name him as their favourite agree that he's cool. I've hardly seen anyone say he's a bad housemate, and I've seen no one say they dislike him because he's an American.
yes more misrepresentation, youre making yourself look duplicitous. Where did I say all americans are gracious and all brits are not? if you want to see generalization see what others have written on here stating americans dont have irony and other such generalized nonsense about 330 million people...I have loads of american mates and they cant believe how much rudeness they have to put up with in this country from total strangers...its always the same insults...americans are dumb...insular...ignorant...war mongers...this ignorant generalization takes places in UK all the time.
Old 13-01-2012, 01:41 AM #56
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
yes more misrepresentation, youre making yourself look duplicitous. Where did I say all americans are gracious and all brits are not? if you want to see generalization see what others have written on here stating americans dont have irony and other such generalized nonsense about 330 million people...I have loads of american mates and they cant believe how much rudeness they have to put up with in this country from total strangers...its always the same insults...americans are dumb...insular...ignorant...war mongers...this ignorant generalization takes places in UK all the time.
If they have to put up with all this, makes me wonder why they even bother visiting in the first place if they have to put up with such rudness 'always the same insults' etc - as you allege.

Anyway, this thread is about a BB housemate who happens to be an American, it's not about Brits vs Americans and how you think the British treat Americans visiting this country.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 01:46 AM #57
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
If they have to put up with all this, makes me wonder why they even bother visiting in the first place if they have to put up with such rudness 'always the same insults' etc - as you allege.

Anyway, this thread is about a BB housemate who happens to be an American, it's not about Brits vs Americans and how you think the British treat Americans visiting this country.
just had to rectify a misrepresentation by another poster...why dont you concentrate on proving your claim that all americans dont get ironic humour and that you of course do
Old 13-01-2012, 01:49 AM #58
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
just had to rectify a misrepresentation by another poster...why dont you concentrate on proving your claim that all americans dont get ironic humour and that you of course do
Because this thread is not about Americans in general, no matter how much you want to spin it like that. It's about Michael Madsen being an amusing housemate in the BB show.
Old 13-01-2012, 01:50 AM #59
User banned

User banned

madsen is a legend- period
Old 13-01-2012, 02:07 AM #60
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
madsen is a legend- period
The highly amusing part is that you are arguing with a poster who actually shares that same view of the man but it appears that has escaped your notice.
Old 13-01-2012, 02:16 AM #61
User banned

User banned

Im not arguing with anyone? just pointed out to poster who misrepresented me. why are you even bothering to get involved in a discussion between 2 other people? You seem bitter? Im willing to call a truce, your choice?
Old 13-01-2012, 02:19 AM #62
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Im not arguing with anyone? just pointed out to poster who misrepresented me. why are you even bothering to get involved in a discussion between 2 other people? You seem bitter? Im willing to call a truce, your choice?
#
It's a forum, that means anyone can contribute to any one elses posts.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:35 AM #63

Quote:
Nobody's stopping Americans coming here and ripping the p out of anything they like. John Stewart on the Daily Show which is broadcast on more 4 regularly takes the piss out of the queen and there's never been any fuss made about it here. I think you're tackling a straw man here so I'm going to leave you to it.
Mumbles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 10:24 AM #64
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Stop it now because it's just getting silly.

I don't know why you're arguing with me, I'm a Michael Madsen fan and this is a Michael Madsen thread. Your whole point for being on here seems to be to accuse others of generalising while you youself do the same thing. You're worrying about your countrymen generalising about Americans, while you generalise about the whole of Great Britain. What's even richer is that you've never been to the USA and yet you're telling me what it's like.

If you want to discuss BB properly, fine. But please don't bore me with any more nonsense or I will put you on ignore and you can rant away to youself.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:50 AM #65

Correct Livia
Patricia4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:11 AM #66

I've never lived in the UK so i can't say anything about my experience with everyday Brits, but i do think what "the truth" is saying is consistent with my experience on British forums.

That being said, it really has nothing to do with the thread and Michael Madsen being a good housemate. I'm loving Michael (and the twins aswell) they've all carried themselves with confidence and dignity. It's the British women that seem to be having a gameplan and playing for the cameras. Especially Nicola and Denise. They definitely seem to have an agenda against the Americans.

Last edited by lostalex; 13-01-2012 at 11:15 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
funny, madsen