Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Tobacco Ban sees supermarkets remove cigarettes from view

A ban on tobacco promotion comes into force on Friday in a bid to cut down on the number of people smoking.

The new legislation means all large shops and supermarkets in England must cover up cigarettes and hide tobacco products from public view.

The Department of Health said the move was in response to evidence that cigarette displays in shops can encourage young people to take up the habit.

More than 300,000 children under 16 try smoking each year and 5% of children aged 11 to 15 are regular smokers, according to its figures.

Meanwhile 39% of smokers say that they were smoking regularly before the age of 16.

Health Minister Anne Milton said: "We cannot ignore the fact that young people are recruited into smoking by colourful, eye-catching, cigarette displays.
"Most adult smokers started smoking as teenagers and we need to stop this trend.

"Banning displays of cigarettes and tobacco will help young people resist the pressure to start smoking and help the thousands of adults in England who are currently trying to quit."

Under the new rules all tobacco products must be kept out of sight except when staff are serving customers or carrying out other day-to-day tasks such as restocking.

Those found not complying with the law could be fined up to £5,000 or face imprisonment.

The ban on displays will roll out to smaller shops and businesses in three years time while the government is also consulting on introducing plain packaging for packets of cigarettes and other tobacco products.

BIB...I'm not convinced that has any bearing at all on what attracts people to smoke
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 AM #2

Yes its a Great Move.

Stinking Smokers
need to be banned more.

I love NYC
No Smoking in Public Main Streets

Last edited by arista; 06-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes its a Great Move.

Stinking Smokers
need to be banned more.

I love NYC
No Smoking in Public Main Streets
LOL Arista..I know how you feel about smoking..but I'm not convinced the 'colourful eyecatching displays' have any bearing at all in 'enticing' people to smoke..I don't think they even are 'eyecatching' at all..and children are educated about the dangers of smoking from primary school age..if they decide to discard the warnings and smoke anyway..I don't think the lack of displays will be a factor
Old 06-04-2012, 08:28 AM #4
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Theres a complete ban here on showing them in any shops.....makes the machines more prominent though because theres just a big white machine behind a counter.....
Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Theres a complete ban here on showing them in any shops.....makes the machines more prominent though because theres just a big white machine behind a counter.....
..where are you..ROI?..and that's what concerns me..the 'forbidden' element may actually make it more inviting to the young new smoker..for the ones already hooked..I don't think this move will make any difference
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM #6
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..where are you..ROI?..and that's what concerns me..the 'forbidden' element may actually make it more inviting to the young new smoker..for the ones already hooked..I don't think this move will make any difference
Yeah Im in ROI, it just makes it more noticeable.....People notice stuff more when it's changed.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yeah Im in ROI, it just makes it more noticeable.....People notice stuff more when it's changed.
Yeah..smokers..hardened smokers won't be deterred at all..and if we're saying that young people are going to ignore all the many other warnings and try smoking anyway..imo the 'machine' is only going to entice them far more than any colourful packaging would..I don't know..it seems to me in the quest to discourage smoking in young people..they're in danger of doing the exact opposite
Old 06-04-2012, 09:18 AM #8
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I have never seen anything more ridicuous as to this regulation to shops and stores, your attention is immediately drawn to the fact they have these sliding doors in place, this regulation is going to likely create the effect if it's wrong to be displaying them and selling them then younger people may want them.

However, the ASDA store where I am, also has hidden smoking related items like lighters etc, which is even more bonkers.

I have rarely seen queues like I have over recent weeks at the cigarette counters there, furthermore since cigarettes went up in the budget, people seem to be buying packs of 100s or 200s to save a bit of the rise in price.

Incredible that smokers are being inconvenienced for this daft Govt ruling, but alcohol in Stores is just about poured down your throat,with displays all over from entering the store and even displays at the top of the confectionery aisles too.
Alcohol can do as much if not worse harm to the body as cigarettes,yet children see adults piling alcohol into trollies juslt like its general shopping.

Total hypocrisy from a far more interfering Govt than the last one even was now. I don't smoke,never have, never will, I however think this is pathetic.

Should people stop smoking or cut down bigtime then the Govt would be in panic at the lost massive income it gets from cigarettes and tobacco.
Watching the staff having to slide these panels backwards and forwards with a queue of something like 20+ people waiting to be served is something I wouldn't expect to see in Stores supposedly open for business.

Bonkers, is the only appropriate word for this ruling by this now fast becoming totally incompetent/too interfering coalition Govt.

Last edited by joeysteele; 06-04-2012 at 09:39 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:36 AM #9

i think its great to - disgusting habit and if it helps on people not going into this addiction - its got to be a good thing.
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM #10
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Quote:
Yeah..smokers..hardened smokers won't be deterred at all..and if we're saying that young people are going to ignore all the many other warnings and try smoking anyway..imo the 'machine' is only going to entice them far more than any colourful packaging would..I don't know..it seems to me in the quest to discourage smoking in young people..they're in danger of doing the exact opposite
Yeah, I do wonder sometimes who comes up with these ideas.....'let's pretend nobody smokes' is basically what they're trying to do here.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM #11
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I have never seen anything more ridicuous as to this regulation to shops and stores, your attention is immediately drawn to the fact they have these sliding doors in place, this regulation is going to likely create the effect if it's wrong to be displaying them and selling them then younger people may want them.

However, the ASDA store where I am, also has hidden smoking related items like lighters etc, which is even more bonkers.

I have rarely seen queues like I have over recent weeks at the cigarette counters there, furthermore since cigarettes went up in the budget, people seem to be buying packs of 100s or 200s to save a bit of the rise in price.

Incredible that smokers are being inconvenienced for this daft Govt ruling, but alcohol in Stores is just about poured down your throat,with displays all over from entering the store and even displays at the top of the confectionery aisles too.
Alcohol can do as much if not worse harm to the body as cigarettes,yet children see adults piling alcohol into trollies juslt like its general shopping.

Total hypocrisy from a far more interfering Govt than the last one even was now. I don't smoke,never have, never will, I however think this is pathetic.

Should people stop smoking or cut down bigtime then the Govt would be in panic at the lost massive income it gets from cigarettes and tobacco.
Watching the staff having to slide these panels backwards and forwards with a queue of something like 20+ people waiting to be served is something I wouldn't expect to see in Stores supposedly open for business.

Bonkers, is the only appropriate word for this ruling by this now fast becoming totally incompetent/too interfering coaition Govt.
..a very good post Joey..it's a silly idea to think it would act as a discouragement..and it's true about the alcohol too
..crikey Joey..you said bonkers twice LOL..but it fairly much describes what it is
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM #12

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:

I don't see it as a bad thing.

But I don't think it'll ever stop people smoking or starting to smoke they don't start smoking because it's on display to them!
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

I don't see it as a bad thing.

But I don't think it'll ever stop people smoking or starting to smoke they don't start smoking because it's on display to them!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM #14
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
..a very good post Joey..it's a silly idea to think it would act as a discouragement..and it's true about the alcohol too
..crikey Joey..you said bonkers twice LOL..but it fairly much describes what it is
I cannot claim credit for the bonkers use Ammi, I wnated a lighter and had to queue for ages to get one, in front of me was a Woman who was going to buy cigarettes,she was 87, fitter than a lot of people I have seen who don't smoke and she had smoked since she was 15 she said.

When she got to the counter after getting her cigarettes all she said to the assistant was this is completely bonkers.

It seemed to me after she said it, no other word was really appropriate.(I loved talking to her though).
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERHOG View Post
i think its great to - disgusting habit and if it helps on people not going into this addiction - its got to be a good thing.
..well imo it will do the exact opposite..that's the point I'm making..unless they're trying to encourage smoking..for the tax..this could be a conspiracy thing LOL
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 AM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I cannot claim credit for the bonkers use Ammi, I wnated a lighter and had to queue for ages to get one, in front of me was a Woman who was going to buy cigarettes,she was 87, fitter than a lot of people I have seen who don't smoke and she had smoked since she was 15 she said.

When she got to the counter after getting her cigarettes all she said to the assistant was this is completely bonkers.

It seemed to me after she said it, no other word was really appropriate.(I loved talking to her though).
Haha....Joeysteele
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 AM #17

Quote:
LOL Arista..I know how you feel about smoking..but I'm not convinced the 'colourful eyecatching displays' have any bearing at all in 'enticing' people to smoke..I don't think they even are 'eyecatching' at all..and children are educated about the dangers of smoking from primary school age..if they decide to discard the warnings and smoke anyway..I don't think the lack of displays will be a factor

By 2015
all shops will cover up Displays
in England.

It helps reduce smoking on young people.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM #18

Favourites:

Favourites:

It doesn't though

Peer pressure and seeing others smoke does
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM #19
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Health Minister Anne Milton said: "We cannot ignore the fact that young people are recruited into smoking by colourful, eye-catching, cigarette displays.
"Most adult smokers started smoking as teenagers and we need to stop this trend.

When I started smoking I didnt even get them from shops, neither did most people I knew at the time. Nor did I find the boxes 'colourful and eye catching'

I noticed this new display thing in morrisons on tuesday. I only noticed because the sliding door was jammed for the poor woman behind the counter who was waiting for her supervisor to come to sort it out while the queue got longer and people tutted at her like it was her fault. Felt really bad for her actually :S
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 06-04-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

That's because most customers are rude and impatient bastards
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM #21
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Exactly!

Kids do what they arent meant to...it happens. The more they arent meant to do it, the more they will want to. This wont change anything for the better. If anything more kids will smoke IMO

Also wondering how long before they ban displays of alcohol, as surely this is as much of a problem as child smokers
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM #22
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
That's because most customers are rude and impatient bastards
Ya I know this, but I dont see why shop workers need any extra stress on top of what they already get
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM #23
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

When I started smoking I didnt even get them from shops, neither did most people I knew at the time. Nor did I find the boxes 'colourful and eye catching'

I noticed this new display thing in morrisons on tuesday. I only noticed because the sliding door was jammed for the poor woman behind the counter who was waiting for her supervisor to come to sort it out while the queue got longer and people tutted at her like it was her fault. Felt really bad for her actually :S
..yeah I bet it's gone down really well with the staff..and imo..there's nothing quite like a bit of 'taboo-ness' to encourage you to try it more..it actually draws attention to it

Last edited by Ammi; 06-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 AM #24

"more bonkers."

No Joey
Stinking Fags Hidden
is the way Forward.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM #25
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"more bonkers."

No Joey
Stinking Fags Hidden
is the way Forward.
Arista its really not. If it was I would fully support this as (although I smoke) it would be fantastic to see a decrease in the number of young smokers

But teens will be teens, and the more taboo something is, the more they want to do it.

Think about it...take drinking. In greece (I can only use this as an example because I lived there and noticed this) the legal drinking limit is 14. Yet in the 6 months I was there...working in a bar...I never once saw a 14 year old drunk. They came in occasionally for a half or two but thats it. Compare this to our limit of 18 which sees kids as young as 11/12 downing litres of cider on street corners because they arent 'allowed' to...
Quote:
Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ban, cigarettes, remove, sees, supermarkets, tobacco, view