Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM #1

Lightbulb Coalition needs 'answers not excuses' says Ed Miliband

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17988259

Quote:
The government has run out of "excuses" for the "failure" of its economic policy, Ed Miliband has said.

The Labour leader told party activists in Essex that coalition policies had "blunted aspiration" and ministers were "standing up for the wrong people".

He called for action in Wednesday's Queen's Speech to cap energy and rail fare rises and reverse tax changes.

Speaking in Harlow, where Labour regained control of the council last week, Mr Miliband said the public had given the coalition of the benefit of the doubt since 2010 but had now lost patience with it.

While long-term youth unemployment had trebled in the last year in places like Harlow, Mr Miliband said, the coalition's focus was on cutting taxes for the wealthiest in society instead of helping ordinary families.

"The first priority is to get our young people back to work," he said. "Tax bankers' bonuses and create jobs for our young people. Then let's get on with tackling the problem with people's living standards."

"What people want from the prime minister and deputy prime minister are answers not excuses," he said. "Not excuses blaming somebody else, blaming the eurozone, but answers about why they promised change and things have got worse not better. That is the reality."
Go get 'em, Ed .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM #2
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Well he already has a good idea what is in the Queens speech so knows little or none of what he says will be in it.

I fear though another bumpy and bad year for the coalition which in turn will not benefit the UK at all, they are simply just not listening,the Conservatives are just hoping for something better to happen,the Lib Dems just are happy to be able to say they are in Govt for the first time in ages with little to offer,other than to further alienate their own voters more and more.

Ed Miliband,weak leader though he is, is I think going to have a great deal to get at over the coming 12 months,this will definately be his make or break year because if he is comfortably ahead in the polls this time next year then it probably will be, that the coalition,both or either of the parties in it, will be unlikely to be able to turn back the tide as to them being thrown out at the next election.

Last edited by joeysteele; 08-05-2012 at 11:42 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM #3

A Egg wasted on that Dork.

Today David and Nick are Live
in Essex they will give answers.

New /Old/Blue /Neo Labour can Bogg Off

Last edited by arista; 08-05-2012 at 12:56 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM #4

Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17988259

Quote:
The BBC News Channel's chief political correspondent Norman Smith said it was no surprise the Labour leader was trying to pin the UK's economic woes directly on No 10 as all the leaders sought to gain the initiative ahead of what is being seen as a crucial week in setting the political agenda.
I fear that we have entered an era of political platitudes from the professional and amateur alike - they all talk the talk, but none can walk the walk (Platitude #2476) .....
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM #5

Ed Miliband 'has no strategy as leader’

Ed Miliband has shown “no strategy, no narrative and little energy” as Labour leader and failed to “break through” with voters, one of his closest political allies has said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...as-leader.html
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM #6

"correspondent Norman Smith"

Yes a good old Dog.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM #7

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

And who really listens to Milliband all he ever does is jump on others mistakes and does sweet FA himself,at least Cameron and Clegg will listen and act upon what is best for the UK ,NOT what people want,it's like parenting,Cameron = strict and not always popular but results in a better person or Milliband who will give everyone what they want with no rules= unruly,rude ,spoilt and obnoxious people,that's my take on it anyway.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanne View Post
And who really listens to Milliband all he ever does is jump on others mistakes and does sweet FA himself,at least Cameron and Clegg will listen and act upon what is best for the UK ,NOT what people want,it's like parenting,Cameron = strict and not always popular but results in a better person or Milliband who will give everyone what they want with no rules= unruly,rude ,spoilt and obnoxious people,that's my take on it anyway.

Yes live today
on SkyNewsHD and other news
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Well he already has a good idea what is in the Queens speech so knows little or none of what he says will be in it.

I fear though another bumpy and bad year for the coalition which in turn will not benefit the UK at all, they are simply just not listening,the Conservatives are just hoping for something better to happen,the Lib Dems just are happy to be able to say they are in Govt for the first time in ages with little to offer,other than to further alienate their own voters more and more.

Ed Miliband,weak leader though he is, is I think going to have a great deal to get at over the coming 12 months,this will definately be his make or break year because if he is comfortably ahead in the polls this time next year then it probably will be, that the coalition,both or either of the parties in it, will be unlikely to be able to turn back the tide as to them being thrown out at the next election.
Joey, people WILL vote for Milliband as he will give them what they want,(well so he says)which is not in the best interest of the UK longterm,we need cuts as hard as it is,too many people throwing their dummies out of their prams because they are supposedly 'hard done by' maybe they should have a spell in a third world country.I have never been so disolusioned with labour,they talk the talk but cant do the walk.imo.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM #10

Quote:
Joey, people WILL vote for Milliband as he will give them what they want,(well so he says)which is not in the best interest of the UK longterm,we need cuts as hard as it is,too many people throwing their dummies out of their prams because they are supposedly 'hard done by' maybe they should have a spell in a third world country.I have never been so disolusioned with labour,they talk the talk but cant do the walk.imo.
BIB (Platitude #2476)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 PM #11
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Hi kazanne, you are correct, what I feel is happening is that Labour are the only UK opposition voice against this Govt, had the Lib Dems still been outside Govt on a vote and supply basis where they allowed the Conservatives to govern as a minority Govt and supported issues they could agree with,then I am starting to believe that a broader view would be taken.

As it is, Labour have the opposition all their own way,they can oppose everything if they wish and any voters not happy with a Govt policy can only hear that dissenting voice from Labour,no one else.
With 2 of the 3 main parties sharing Govt, Labour can have a field day and that is largely why I think they have this lead in the polls and I think will be the only party that can possibly get an overall majority at the next election,albeit a likely small one.

That's not what I want but it is what I can see happening.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM #12

Lightbulb Cameron & Clegg: No let-up in tough decisions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17986209

Quote:
David Cameron has said there will be no "let-up" in tough decisions on the economy and defended the coalition as "necessary" to solve the UK's problems.

Speaking on a visit to a factory in Essex ahead of Wednesday's Queen's Speech, the prime minister said many people were having "tough times".

He vowed to do more to help with living costs and help the UK "go for growth".

Mr Cameron said he realised families were finding it "difficult to make ends meet" and growth in the economy was much harder to come by than anticipated.

Despite this, he said there should be no "let-up" in the coalition's plans to cut spending, saying they were essential to stabilise the economy and deliver low interest rates.
That nice Mr Cameron - he didn't want to bash the grannies and give tax breaks to millionaires, but he had to stabilise the economy .....

As for delivering "low interest rates", some savers might find they're only getting 0.5% pa, but I suppose it's better than nothing and that nice Mr Osborne knows what he's doing, him being a wallpaper millionaire .....
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM #13

"millionaire"

Omah there is nothing wromng with the Rich
even Your Ed went to visit a millionaire
to get funds.

Last edited by arista; 08-05-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I just can't see past whats happening to our public services, I don't trust the conservatives as far as I could throw them, Nick Clegg and the lib dem ministers are the only thing stopping David Cameron and his fatcat friends riding roughshod over the whole country.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:52 PM #15

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"millionaire"

Omah there is nothing wromng with the Rich
even Your Ed went to visit a millionaire
to get funds.

He's not my Ed .....

But I'll support any Tory/Banker-bashing .....
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM #16
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

All davy has to do is he want some dolla is ring his mate Mr Wonga.com and ask if he wants any policies pushed through...

In the meantime he hides all his dodgy dealings...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ication-vetoed

Last edited by Kizzy; 08-05-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
answers, coalition, ed, excuses, miliband