Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 15-05-2012, 08:38 AM #1

Favourites:
BB16: Sarah

Favourites:

Default Gay rights video: Please share this on twitter/facebook and anywhere else you can

Thanks

daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:16 AM #2

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):

This made me cry when I saw it last week.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:18 AM #3

It's a bit too over produced for my tastes. Feels like another Kony 2012 type production. I wonder if the guy that made this is a video editor.

I feel bad for his loss, but his story doesn't really have a whole lot to do with gay marriage laws. All of the problems he described could have been solved by just having a will, which is already legal. And the parents of his dead lover would still be the assholes they are even if he was married.

Also i really didn't like how it seemed like he was trying to hide the fact that his lover committed suicide. The way he just said "this is where he fell off the building" felt like he wasn't telling the whole story.

not my cup of tea this. i definitely support marriage equality though.

Last edited by lostalex; 15-05-2012 at 09:20 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:25 AM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
It's a bit too over produced for my tastes. Feels like another Kony 2012 type production. I wonder if the guy that made this is a video editor.

I feel bad for his loss, but his story doesn't really have a whole lot to do with gay marriage laws. All of the problems he described could have been solved by just having a will, which is already legal. And the parents of his dead lover would still be the assholes they are even if he was married.

Also i really didn't like how it seemed like he was trying to hide the fact that his lover committed suicide. The way he just said "this is where he fell off the building" felt like he wasn't telling the whole story.

Mainly due to the fact that he didn't commit suicide.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:37 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dagger View Post
Mainly due to the fact that he didn't commit suicide.
then was he pushed? it's not made clear in the video.
Old 15-05-2012, 10:55 AM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

Are you seriously crtisizing production of the editing on such a sad story? This isnt about how the video was produced its about the fact he lost his long term partner.

This is about human rights and us gay men deserve exactly the same rights as anyone else, He lived with his partner for 6 years, shared a mortgage and shared a business. They were best friends and in love and he was denied to say goodbye or even find out exactly what happened from the hospital.

If this was a straight couple who had been together for over half a decade then im sure the partner would be allowed to visit the body or get some closure on what happened after such a tragedy.

You cannot assume he commited suicide either, have you ever heard of accidental death?

I would be devistated if this happened to me but no redneck family threatening me with physical violence would not keep me away from the funeral.

**** the legal system, this should be about equality, compassion and respect for anyone grieving the loss of someone they were in love with.

Its like they totally pretended he never existed and was left totally alone with no closure on his relationship.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 15-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 15-05-2012, 10:58 AM #7
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Such a sad story. It disgusts me as to how intolerant people can be. I just hope that someday there won't be as many stories like this. Theyre so commonplace nowadays.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:34 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post
Are you seriously crtisizing production of the editing on such a sad story? This isnt about how the video was produced its about the fact he lost his long term partner.

This is about human rights and us gay men deserve exactly the same rights as anyone else
, He lived with his partner for 6 years, shared a mortgage and shared a business. They were best friends and in love and he was denied to say goodbye or even find out exactly what happened from the hospital.

If this was a straight couple who had been together for over half a decade then im sure the partner would be allowed to visit the body or get some closure on what happened after such a tragedy.

You cannot assume he commited suicide either, have you ever heard of accidental death?

I would be devistated if this happened to me but no redneck family threatening me with physical violence would not keep me away from the funeral.

**** the legal system, this should be about equality, compassion and respect for anyone grieving the loss of someone they were in love with.

Its like they totally pretended he never existed and was left totally alone with no closure on his relationship.
wow, you are LYING about what i said. i'm not going to bother with you if you are going to just be hysterical and unable to have a conversation.

I clearly stated that i absolutely support gay rights.

I said the video looked highly edited (which it is) and i don't feel comfortable jumping to any conclusions. you havn't heard all sides of the story, and from what i've seen in this video it seems specifically edited with music and clips to play on peoples emotions. You have no idea about the true story when you watch such a highly edited film clearly from 1 point of view which doesn't present any other view points. You can accept clear cut heroes and villians all you like, all i'm saying is that this video is clearly made from a very emotional view point from just 1 side.

How does that mean that i'm against equality? i'm not.

You've heard one side, and you automatically assume the family are rednecks? so you've already shown yur prejudice, yu have no idea if they are "rednecks" or not, whatever that even means.

All i said is that when i see video's edited in this way, it raises red flags with me, because the maker was clearly using editing and music to play on emotions, and that type of manipulation can be very persuassive.

Last edited by lostalex; 15-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:54 AM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
wow, you are LYING about what i said. i'm not going to bother with you if you are going to just be hysterical and unable to have a conversation.

I clearly stated that i absolutely support gay rights.

I said the video looked highly edited (which it is) and i don't feel comfortable jumping to any conclusions. you havn't heard all sides of the story, and from what i've seen in this video it seems specifically edited with music and clips to play on peoples emotions. You have no idea about the true story when you watch such a highly edited film clearly from 1 point of view which doesn't present any other view points. You can accept clear cut heroes and villians all you like, all i'm saying is that this video is clearly made from a very emotional view point from just 1 side.

How does that mean that i'm against equality? i'm not.

You've heard one side, and you automatically assume the family are rednecks? so you've already shown yur prejudice, yu have no idea if they are "rednecks" or not, whatever that even means.

All i said is that when i see video's edited in this way, it raises red flags with me, because the maker was clearly using editing and music to play on emotions, and that type of manipulation can be very persuassive.
How am i lying? I was talking about what a sad situation it is and the first thing you comment on is the editing of it. I just thought that was a bit strange.

And yes i say rednecks because their views are redneck by disowning their son for being gay.

Definition of redneck: Backwards. They are 100% backwards and dellutional to think they could have medically changed his sexuality if he had told them sooner and threatening the partner with violence is REDNECK/ROUGH.

Dumbasses.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 15-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:02 PM #10

Quote:
How am i lying? I was talking about what a sad situation it is and the first thing you comment on is the editing of it. I just thought that was a bit strange.

And yes i say rednecks because their views are redneck by disowning their son for being gay.

Definition of redneck: Backwards. They are 100% backwards and dellutional to think they could have medically changed his sexuality if he had told them sooner and threatening the partner with violence is REDNECK/ROUGH.

Dumbasses.
really so posh people don't disavow gay children? all communities are homophobic, you are showing your own bigotry and ignorance.
You are just as bigoted as the "rednecks" you are condemning right now.

I'm done with this conversation. You are hysterical and out of control. You are not able to have a rational discussion.

You are doing MY(gay) cause no favors by behaving this way and i want no association with it(your behavior).

Last edited by lostalex; 15-05-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:09 PM #11

The music is not good.

This is about USA Church folks.

Not here
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:13 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
The music is not good.

Not here
you are such a troll. *crosses the bridge with ipod blaring*
Old 15-05-2012, 12:15 PM #13

Redneck means a lower class white person. I'm sure there are working class homosexuals.

Last edited by Marsh.; 15-05-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:17 PM #14
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
The music is not good.

Not here
Oh Shutup Arista. .__.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:17 PM #15

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
really so posh people don't disavow gay children? all communities are homophobic, you are showing your own bigotry and ignorance.
You are just as bigoted as the "rednecks" you are condemning right now.

I'm done with this conversation. You are hysterical and out of control. You are not able to have a rational discussion.

You are doing MY(gay) cause no favors by behaving this way and i want no association with it(your behavior).
Sorry im just passionate about this paticular issue.

Im not saying that all of cirtain cultures have the same opinion but a redneck is an insult not a race/culture issue. Im not discriminating against any race i am simply calling them redneck for their backwards views and im sure everyone else knows that redneck means DUMB or stuck with a very hold very backward or offensive views .

Be as PC as you want but i am not like that i express exactly how i feel and if you find that offensive then yeah hit ignore on my posts.

They are a disgrace.

They threatened this guys partner of over half a decade with physical violence if he turned up to the funeral to say goodbye to the love of his life so tbf on this occasion calling someone a redneck/rough/chav/backwards is 100% justified.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 15-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:23 PM #16

Quote:
Sorry im just passionate about this paticular issue.

Im not saying that all of cirtain cultures have the same opinion but a redneck is an insult not a race/culture issue. Im not discriminating against any race i am simply calling them redneck for their backwards views and im sure everyone else knows that redneck means DUMB or stuck with a very hold very backward or offensive views .

Be as PC as you want but i am not like that i express exactly how i feel and if you find that offensive then yeah hit ignore on my posts.

They are a disgrace.

They threatened this guys partner of over half a decade with physical violence if he turned up to the funeral to say goodbye to the love of his life so tbf on this occasion calling someone a redneck/rough/chav/backwards is 100% justified.

You keep saying "they". there is no "they". "they" is every people of every culture in every country. Homophobia is EVERYWHERE, and simplifying by blaming one sterotype is ignorant. You are doing MY cause no favours by simplifying it into blaming one group. Rich, Poor, Black, White, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Athiest, homophobia is nothing to pin down. Even the so-called "gay community" itself is guilty of homophobia! how often do we find out that the most homophobic people are gay themselves??

Think before you place your anger towards one group of people, your anger should not be directed, it should be general.

Fighting homophobia is about spreading enlightenment, not creating blame or pointing fingers.

Just say the truth. That is enough. The truth doesn't require blame, or music, or editing, or emotions. The truth is enough.

Last edited by lostalex; 15-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:23 PM #17
0_o

0_o

Quote:

This is about human rights and us gay men deserve exactly the same rights as anyone else, He lived with his partner for 6 years, shared a mortgage and shared a business. They were best friends and in love and he was denied to say goodbye or even find out exactly what happened from the hospital.

This isnt quite true. If the family disagree...and you arent married...you can even be stopped from seeing them while still alive in hospital in hospital, nevermind the body.

I only know this because of a quite recent thing that happened with people I know. This woman I know (I refuse to call her a friend but I speak to her) has been seeing this man for 8 years or so, he recenly was taken into hospital and the family were told he only had hours left, so she went to see him, and the family refused to let her in the room. Apparently (and this came from my father in law who drove her there, not from her) he was getting really distressed when he saw her being stopped at the door and it was obvious that he WANTED her there, but the family still refused :S

Basically the family went against his wishes just to be spiteful because they didnt like the woman...even though he very obviously did.

Was the only time in my life I have ever felt sorry for her.

On topic though, I havent watched the video yet as I have no headphones and gavs watching something but I will watch it later.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 15-05-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:27 PM #18

Can't believe it but I actually completely agree with lostalex.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:29 PM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
You keep saying "they". there is no "they". "they" is every people of every culture in every country. Homophobia is EVERYWHERE, and simplifying by blaming one sterotype is ignorant. You are doing MY cause no favours by simplifying it into blaming one group. Rich, Poor, Black, White, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Athiest, homophobia is nothing to pin down.

Think before you place your anger towards one group of people, your anger should not be directed, it should be general.

Fighting homophobia is about spreading enlightenment, not creating blame.
Im not saying THEY as in the whole community im saying THEY as in these paticular parents!

Read carefully.

I dont class a redneck as a group or a community i regard it as most people would as a word used to insult someone with a backwards view on life.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 15-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:33 PM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
This isnt quite true. If the family disagree...and you arent married...you can even be stopped from seeing them while still alive in hospital in hospital, nevermind the body.

I only know this because of a quite recent thing that happened with people I know. This woman I know (I refuse to call her a friend but I speak to her) has been seeing this man for 8 years or so, he recenly was taken into hospital and the family were told he only had hours left, so she went to see him, and the family refused to let her in the room. Apparently (and this came from my father in law who drove her there, not from her) he was getting really distressed when he saw her being stopped at the door and it was obvious that he WANTED her there, but the family still refused :S

Basically the family went against his wishes just to be spiteful because they didnt like the woman...even though he very obviously did.

Was the only time in my life I have ever felt sorry for her.

On topic though, I havent watched the video yet as I have no headphones and gavs watching something but I will watch it later.
Thats awful

Yeah i know it happens in all cultures and sexes but i just feel like gay people are still not getting treated equally.

I never use the gay card but this is one thing i believe.

Just my opinion though.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:41 PM #21
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Omg! That was so sad! I'm going to upload that to twitter.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:43 PM #22

Quote:
Im not saying THEY as in the whole community im saying THEY as in these paticular parents!

Read carefully.

I dont class a redneck as a group or a community i regard it as most people would as a word used to insult someone with a backwards view on life.
So, you are referring to specific people by using a word that generalises a whole community.

Whether YOU mean the word one way or the other, it is derogatory to an entire class of people.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:52 PM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
So, you are referring to specific people by using a word that generalises a whole community.

Whether YOU mean the word one way or the other, it is derogatory to an entire class of people.
No i use the word "Redkneck" as an insult directed at 1 particular individuals behaviour in the same way i would call someone a d!ckhead or a pr!ck for acting the same way.

Rednecks are not a community of people lol its not like the jews or the christians have their religion and communities.

You are getting what i mean all wrong which im finding hard to understand since ive explained it 4 times now.

Im not not discriminating against a whole race or religion because redneck does not refer to a community or region anymore it has evolved to refer to bigoted, loutish reactionaries who are opposed to modern ways which clearly these 2 individuals are judging by their behaviour towards their sons sexuality.

Its not a race or a religion its an insult used against someone who are absolute tossers.

Whatever you may think i do not judge people on where they are from i judge on their behaviour unlike most members on here who call everyone a chav.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 15-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:57 PM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It is very sad, although lostalex has it right when he says that if he had made a will, things would be different. The outcome could have been the same if the couple involved were unmarried heterosexuals and one of them died intestate.

Steig Larsson, who wrote The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo died suddenly leaving his female partner Eva Gabrielsson. They never married and he never made a will and regardless of the fact they had lived together for thirty years and she'd been instrumental in helping him write his books, every penny from those books go to his brother and father and she gets nothing.

Sometimes people are just b*stards.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 01:00 PM #25
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
It is very sad, although lostalex has it right when he says that if he had made a will, things would be different. The outcome could have been the same if the couple involved were unmarried heterosexuals and one of them died intestate.

Steig Larsson, who wrote The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo died suddenly leaving his female partner Eva Gabrielsson. They never married and he never made a will and regardless of the fact they had lived together for thirty years and she'd been instrumental in helping him write his books, every penny from those books go to his brother and father and she gets nothing.

Sometimes people are just b*stards.
Really? That's so unfair!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
gay, rights, share, twitter or facebook, video