Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB13 Big Brother 13 started June 5th 2012 on Channel 5, and was won by Luke A. Discuss here.

Old 15-07-2012, 10:57 PM #1

Favourites:
BB13: Arron

Favourites:
Default Affinity

This is a serious question.

What makes YOU the viewer, gain such a affinity towards a particular housemate that you will spend hours defending certain housemates, who lets face it, never knew of you before entering the house, so by their own admissions, will not give a flying fairy about who you are after they leave.

Yet, you'll sit and become armchair physcologists in disecting each and every moment they make.

Does it not occour one iota that they will find posts hilarious, forget user names and then move on without a second thought to the arguments you have put forward over the hours/weeks they have spent in there?

So again I ask, what gives YOU the viewer, the affintity, drive, and direction you have in determining what role a HM becomes, validates, percieves, manipulates or juggles? Will they care anyway?
Beverley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:59 PM #2
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

Once the show ends nobody cares about them, it works both ways.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:02 PM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
CBB 10: Julian Clary

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
^
This. And it is a forum for BB, what do you want us to do?
dathadiguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:02 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):

At the end of the day, we watch for OUR entertainment. You could say this about every reality show and why we keep people in. Because we LIKE them and want them to know they have a fan base. Brighten their day.

For example, quiz shows. I get really excited when someone wins big money wise on Deal or No Deal, Million Pound Drop etc... even though I am not getting the money.

It's sort of a support of good over not so good. People like likeable people and want them to do well.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:02 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’
BB13: Deana

^
the first 2 responses.

Continually liking -Adam-Luke A-Luke S-

Continually embarrassing themselves -Caroline-Becky-Scott-Ashleigh

Shame they are gone -Chris-Benidict-Lydia-Victoria-Shivonne-Lauren

Glad they are gone -Arron

wtf? -Conor

Last edited by rayheartbliss; 15-07-2012 at 11:03 PM.
rayheartbliss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:03 PM #6
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):

Honest answer? Its fun.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:05 PM #7
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

In my opinion whats the point of watching a show if youre not gonna get right into it? I do think we discuss things to death on here, to points where we even annoy ourselves, but at the end of the day its a TV show that we all enjoy, we pick out favourite HMs and we debate and banter and have fun and get pissed off.

You could argue... whats the point of hating a housemate?

Old 15-07-2012, 11:05 PM #8

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

I know it sounds really really pathetic and sad, but I get attatched as a viewer to my favourites and it means me just having a defense mechanism and defending them when people slag them off etc... yes, I don't expect them to come out and be my best friend.

I do pay attention to them when they leave though, for example I follow my favourite house-mates on Twitter and tweet them the odd occasion.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:05 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
At the end of the day, we watch for OUR entertainment. You could say this about every reality show and why we keep people in. Because we LIKE them and want them to know they have a fan base. Brighten their day.

For example, quiz shows. I get really excited when someone wins big money wise on Deal or No Deal, Million Pound Drop etc... even though I am not getting the money.

It's sort of a support of good over not so good. People like likeable people and want them to do well.
When do the above examples of audiences turn on each other like this forum has the capability?
Old 15-07-2012, 11:07 PM #10

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
In my opinion whats the point of watching a show if youre not gonna get right into it? I do think we discuss things to death on here, to points where we even annoy ourselves, but at the end of the day its a TV show that we all enjoy, we pick out favourite HMs and we debate and banter and have fun and get pissed off.

Thank you for saying that! How can you hate someone you have never met, never has carried an injustice against you, how does that work?
Old 15-07-2012, 11:10 PM #11
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Its funny because I spent a fortune last year voting for aaron. Now I couldn't care less about him.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:10 PM #12
Got any chocolate?

Favourites (more):
CBB14: Gary
Got any chocolate?

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
This!

Don't buy the sun!!
Gillian-73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:10 PM #13
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Adam
BB12: Harry
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Adam
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
This is a serious question.

What makes YOU the viewer, gain such a affinity towards a particular housemate that you will spend hours defending certain housemates, who lets face it, never knew of you before entering the house, so by their own admissions, will not give a flying fairy about who you are after they leave.

Yet, you'll sit and become armchair physcologists in disecting each and every moment they make.

Does it not occour one iota that they will find posts hilarious, forget user names and then move on without a second thought to the arguments you have put forward over the hours/weeks they have spent in there?

So again I ask, what gives YOU the viewer, the affintity, drive, and direction you have in determining what role a HM becomes, validates, percieves, manipulates or juggles? Will they care anyway?
Great post and it takes a lot of sole searching to define the correct answer. I guess it comes down to who you are and by what virtues you live your life by. In my case, I loved Adam and liked Lauren. I didnt really think Conor was worthy of my support but after he got bad press from some posters that seemed to be overly wong about him, I decided to champion him.

The more they got at me the more I supported him. So in my case I suppose I supported someone in the face of him beng unfairly treated. Supporting the underdog scenario I suppose. I still dont think he can win but like Aaron last year, he got loads of support because some people tried to rain on his parade and he picked up the sympathy vote. This is what Deanas is doing this year but she dosent have Aarons finese or charisma and copycats dont deserve anything good in my book.

Nobody can form an opinion on someone on a 45 min a day viewing, we can only surmise and derive opinions based on what our eyes and ears tell us. It just becomes so god damm hard to take critisism from people that, in my opinion, have got it wong.

One thing I need to say. We are having our own little bb here on our laptops and if I met any of my nemesises in person, I would be friends with them very quickly becasue I can separate fact from fiction and serious from game.
sampvt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:10 PM #14
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Thank you for saying that! How can you hate someone you have never met, never has carried an injustice against you, how does that work?
Its essentially the same with how can you like somebody you never met etc.

We judge what goes down in the house and form our opinions, once the show is over nobody cares and we no longer spit venom or spread the love. Its just a show to enjoy whilst its on and TiBB allows us to share our views and debate and take it to the next level, if you like.

Old 15-07-2012, 11:11 PM #15

Favourites (more):
BB13: Lauren
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB13: Lauren
BB12: Aaron

Quote:
Cause we wanna know to avoid such people in real life. Seeing the way some people are so nice to people's faces but pour shet all over them behind their backs. We hate people cause they do bad things. I mean Hitler never did anything bad to me or any of my family that I know of...
Old 15-07-2012, 11:12 PM #16

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dagger View Post
I know it sounds really really pathetic and sad, but I get attatched as a viewer to my favourites and it means me just having a defense mechanism and defending them when people slag them off etc... yes, I don't expect them to come out and be my best friend.

I do pay attention to them when they leave though, for example I follow my favourite house-mates on Twitter and tweet them the odd occasion.
I liked Josie, I read a few of her tweets, and was really sad when I saw the break up of her and John James but found it no suprise. However, I could have tweeted her 100 times a day, she wouldn't have cared that I thought she was brilliant in the BB house, just another 'fan'.

Don't want to sound mean but here's my point, they don't care, all the sparkly banners, polls etc, it doesnt matter.

It's just be nice to see more ppl on the forum saying "you know what mate, I don't agree but I like your stance on things". Once it's over, except the odd few (no insult just term of speech), who remembers them anyway, until the next BBBotS, then it's a case of "oh yeah, it's him/her".
Old 15-07-2012, 11:15 PM #17

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozMan View Post
Cause we wanna know to avoid such people in real life. Seeing the way some people are so nice to people's faces but pour shet all over them behind their backs. We hate people cause they do bad things. I mean Hitler never did anything bad to me or any of my family that I know of...
That's quite a silly statement really. EVERYONE at some point is effected by someone who is negative in their lives. What we do about it, makes us either stronger or weaker! By the way, I come from Scottish Nobility, English, German, Romian and French Jew. Your Hitler statement was a bit off, but what do I do? You wasn't to know, my point exactly!
Old 15-07-2012, 11:20 PM #18

It's more rational than deciding to armchair psychoanalyze an entire forum of people because the majority disagree with my opinion.
Indy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:20 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

At the end of the day, these people know what they are getting in for. BB is like a judging machine. You can't really say "It's silly that this happens", it happens in every reality show. That is why reality shows are still so popular.
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:29 PM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampvt View Post
Great post and it takes a lot of sole searching to define the correct answer. I guess it comes down to who you are and by what virtues you live your life by. In my case, I loved Adam and liked Lauren. I didnt really think Conor was worthy of my support but after he got bad press from some posters that seemed to be overly wong about him, I decided to champion him.

The more they got at me the more I supported him. So in my case I suppose I supported someone in the face of him beng unfairly treated. Supporting the underdog scenario I suppose. I still dont think he can win but like Aaron last year, he got loads of support because some people tried to rain on his parade and he picked up the sympathy vote. This is what Deanas is doing this year but she dosent have Aarons finese or charisma and copycats dont deserve anything good in my book.

Nobody can form an opinion on someone on a 45 min a day viewing, we can only surmise and derive opinions based on what our eyes and ears tell us. It just becomes so god damm hard to take critisism from people that, in my opinion, have got it wong.

One thing I need to say. We are having our own little bb here on our laptops and if I met any of my nemesises in person, I would be friends with them very quickly becasue I can separate fact from fiction and serious from game.
I like that, diversity is the key to human interest.

Quote:
Its essentially the same with how can you like somebody you never met etc.

We judge what goes down in the house and form our opinions, once the show is over nobody cares and we no longer spit venom or spread the love. Its just a show to enjoy whilst its on and TiBB allows us to share our views and debate and take it to the next level, if you like.
This encapsulates my question, we've NEVER met them, so who are WE to decide their strong points and bad points. Yet, I see arguments on this very board discussing ppl who have about as much genunine interest in us as we do in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mazedsalv** View Post
At the end of the day, these people know what they are getting in for. BB is like a judging machine. You can't really say "It's silly that this happens", it happens in every reality show. That is why reality shows are still so popular.
Exactly, how can we REALISTICALLY judge them.

That's why I made this post, it's silly how us 'randoms' can argue, armchair anyalise, yet are no wiser from one day to the next.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:32 PM #21
fur sure

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Alicia Douvall

fur sure

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Alicia Douvall

Tbh I respect them all as HMs and I pick my favorites because that is kind of the point of the show, to pick a HM who you would like to win money. I've never ever hated a HM, because like Jords said why would you hate somebody that you don't know. It's just unnecessary stress.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:39 PM #22

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan81996 View Post
Tbh I respect them all as HMs and I pick my favorites because that is kind of the point of the show, to pick a HM who you would like to win money. I've never ever hated a HM, because like Jords said why would you hate somebody that you don't know. It's just unnecessary stress.
That is what I am trying to say too, why Hate, it's such a strong word, too strong for someone you have never met. I've never used it against any HM in my posts, sure there are some I strongly dislike but hate, never, that's just a wasted emotion.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:43 PM #23
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Dunno really, I just enjoy watching, judging, forming opinions and debating them on here. Most of the time it's true I stop caring about them after the show too, although I did stay sorta interested in what Jay was doing after last years series ended
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:44 PM #24

Favourites:

Favourites:

So, back to my OP, why distain to some and appreciation to others? (for the rest that have not answered).

Last edited by Beverley; 15-07-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Argh, 'T' button is sticking
Old 15-07-2012, 11:48 PM #25
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:

Yay, at last, I have been dying for some comment where I could race in and agree with you Jords during this series.

This has made my night and you have said all I would have said but in a far more concise way than I would have. I totally agree with this post.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
affinity