Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB2 Brian Dowling, Helen and Paul, Dean and the rest of the Big Brother 2 housemates from 2001.

Old 21-01-2002, 09:10 PM #1

Default Que Sera Sera Paul !

Good to hear that Paul has finally realised his limitations on personality and charisma and gone back to his dull job with his tail between his legs. I hate to say I told you so but well............. Anyway I always knew that his days were numbered and he only survived this long because of the brilliant Helen. No one was ever really just interested in Paul and it's a pity it took the lofty one, so long to realise that he would never be popular let alone an international popstar. Someone really should have told Paul at the start not to give up the day job because he'd have nothing else going for him. Helen can only carry the dead weight that is Paul for so long. By contrast I saw Amma recently on Night Fever (again???) and she was doing a song with Darren Day. She was soooo confident and attractive and sang well. I also see that Brian who I have never really liked, has also really adapted to tv appearances as he has shown on SMTV. Like I said before que sera sera Paul. I hope we never have to see him again or hear his dull monotone voice. What was it that Brian said to Helen when she complained about not being able to sleep? Oh yes Brian said 'Helen just close your eyes and think of Paul it works for me'. Hate to say it but that was vintage Brian.
Girlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2002, 11:57 PM #2

girlie, i agree with you, only 2 people in bb2 worth talking about and that was the fantastic Helen and Brian. I really think Helen would have stayed on very friendly terms with the other housemates but for Paul. The rest of them keep in touch,and recently I see that Amma and Brian went to a dean gig and they all went to to see penny in panto,
niley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 10:31 AM #3

I doubt if Paul is really that concerned by the 'told you so', given that he told us all that he expected to go back to his interesting job during his time in the BB house, immediately after leaving the BB house and confirmed this publicly before Christmas. I'm sure Girlie when you are 25 you'll have a much better job than Paul, but you'll be in a pretty small minority, so perhaps you should practice being gracious now.

It is totally not Paul's style to prevent Helen from seeing her friends. He was the one getting slagged by the national press for 'dumping her' when he suggested she'd have to go home and see all her friends and work out what she wants to do before they should consider getting together. (I know that didn't work very well, but it was the principle). If you've been following what they've been up to you'll know that they have both met their former housemates on a number of ocassions, even if they don't make it a regular event. In Helen's case I imagine having early starts prevents her from going to too many parties, along with using her spare weekends for going to Wales.

I think it's great that the others meet up, but I don't think they do it that often. It's important to them to be able to share such an unusual experience with people who have been through it too, but Helen and Paul don't need that from anyone else and anyway their experiences are quite different to those of the others.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 02:48 PM #4

Girlie, you're back!

Feefs has answered your post very eloquently, and I strongly endorse every word.

A few more observations about Paul are however necessary. He may not have a future in TV presenting, and he might have to struggle with only being a successful, well paid and well respected designer. I think it's a great loss for us, but he is probably very well out of it. Showbiz living looks like a nightmare to me.

I think he and Helen have made a very conscious choice not to jump on the circuit when they could have exploited their relationship. They both had families and circles of friends they were happy with, and they still seem to prefer their company. Why not? They didn't seek publicity, they were positively hounded at first.

Has Paul got charisma?

Well he works for me, and a good few others I could mention. At work the nurses and secretaries were positively salivating at the sight of him. If he walks into that hospital, he'll need a doctor before he leaves. Penny would have seemed like a breeze in comparison.

If that's not evidence enough, how about this:

He has a very expressive face and his eyes are absolutely 'knicker elastic perishingly gorgeous'

OK, if Paul talks in a monotone, I LIKE it! Funnily enough, so did the girl you admire so much, Helen!

As she observed, it's one very sexy, deep monotone.

When telling Brian about her feelings for Paul she said:

'He touches me and my body goes Ker-ching!!'

'And when I look in his eyes, oooooh Brian it's fanTAAAAAAAStic'

'When I hear his voice I feel warm all over. It's so deep and I can feel it all through me'

Exhibit Two:

Did he live up to her expectations?

According to heat magazine, she went to stay with him for a weekend and 'Just never left'!

If you are alone and seeking a little love and affection from the opposite sex Girlie, can I suggest these are all qualities which I highly recommend!

Bloody hell, they're the best references I've ever read!
.: blush:

If that's having no charisma, put my name down for that! Bottle it, sell it, I'll buy a crate! By gum, he'll do for me!!!

P.S. Did I mention that he loves his mum as well?
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 05:40 PM #5
Administrator

Administrator

Blimey, ROB - steady on with the smilies, you've nearly used up this month's quota! (only kidding - the more the merrier),

I have to agree with your glowing references - well I would considering the picture opposite!) I can't think of much better boyfriend material than Paul - tall, dark, handsome, University educated, excellent job, loves his family - what mother would object if you brought him home, I wonder?

Helen has said in several interviews that she didn't really enjoy or want to be going to endless celebrity events and I don't blame her, considering what alternative entertainment she's got waiting at home for her. I for one enjoyed Paul's previous TV appearances on Exclusive, and his guest spell as a DJ on Virgin Radio, and hope that we do see more of him in future.

By the way, ROB - loved your description of his eyes.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 05:56 PM #6

I'm sorry i have to disagree with you all, I'm so with you girlie on this one. Full marks girlie.
niley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 07:55 PM #7
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

80K steady income as a designer Versus Erratic income, hanging by a phone for an agent that says "I have something for you almost in the bag"

Hmmmmm

Which would you choose ?
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2002, 09:21 PM #8
Administrator

Administrator

Hey niley, no need to apologise. Everyone here has their own favourite housemates, and we don't mind discussing differing opinions at all. In this case I agree with Feefs and R.O.B - you agree with Girlie - that's absolutely fine.

The only thing we ask is that no-one is rude or abusive about any of the housemates, or to any other forum members.

So post away, and let us know your views - they could lead to some interesting debates!
Old 23-01-2002, 01:37 AM #9

Default I rest my case

Firstly, thanks for your support Niley you sound intelligent which is more than can be said for some of the Paul manics around. They are desperately trying to convince me that Paul is this perfect God, all gods gift to women, a stud etc. Fact is he is none of those things which would explain why he was single when he entered the BB house and would still be if it were not for Helen. I know loads of blokes who work in Pauls profession as they are 2-a-penny these days, except most earn more than Paul. For example my boyfriend works in the city (software analyis and management) and he makes over 400k annually. That is a real job. Paul could win millions on the lottery and he would still be unpopular and have no charisma. some people have it (Brian, Helen) and some people (Paul) will NEVER have it. Paul's fans used to go on about how he was going to be a star and now he has flopped in the eyes of the media, they pretend that going back to your day job after a monumental once in a lifetime opportunity like BB is actually better than being rich and famous and popular !!!! I have never seen so much delusion in my life. At least I will not have to see or hear him again. Thank God for small mercies is all I can say. Long live Helen.
Girlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2002, 11:55 AM #10

In a perverse way I love it when people have a pop at Paul. It means I get to read everyone's fantastic defences. ROB, your explanation as to why Paul is lovely is brilliant. It had me going all steamy eyed myself. We should perhaps organise a night out for people at our respective workplaces, because he was very much a hit with the ladies here too. Sadly, all the men at my work claimed they didn't watch BB and they were all hetero anyway. Actually, one of them used to leave the room through embarassment when we started raving about the loveliness of Paul. I'm not sure if he felt insecure as a less sexy man, or insecure about his own feelings towards Paul. He was also very tidily dressed and far too good at ironing. Anyway, I digress ...

Girlie, I am ever so slightly concerned on your views of what is a proper job and a decent salary. How much you earn really shouldn't matter that much if you have a full life, but a few points need to be addressed. I never truly believed the reports of a 70/80 grand salary for Paul because that IS rediculously high for someone in that profession with his experience. And of course it was reported by the tabloids who can't help but massage the truth. However, in his favour, if you are going to work in design, then car design pays very highly. He was working in Germany, where engineers are more highly regarded, so again he'd get paid more. He was working freelance in an area where there is a skills shortage, so the old rules of supply and demand would work in his favour. He admitted to working very long weeks sometimes, so if he was paid according to how many jobs he completed, then his overall salary would be enhanced if he's a fast worker. What this means is that it's not impossible for him to have earned that much, but that if true he'd have to be very good at his job, and quite jammy too.

The sort of work he does is nothing like a software analyst in the city. Engineers can double their salary overnight by going into that sort of work, even starting at the bottom. The reason being that demand for that sort of position is even greater. I know several who did that, and within a year had doubled their salary yet again. They think their jobs are rubbish, they are boring and require less than half the skills they used when engineers, but the pay is great. Some love it, some hate it and wished they'd never left engineering, but don't know if they can go back.

The point being that you have to know what's important to you. I work in environmental engineering and I could double my money if I worked for an oil compamy (which probably pays less than cars). I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to do that, so make do with my pathetic income, but interesting job with nice people.

If you think Paul's job is rubbish, then you are undoubtedly appauled by my pathetic attempts at scraping an income together. I'm surprised you can leave the house for bumping into people without a proper job. I hope whatever career you go into you enjoy, but you are limiting yourself severly to working in the City, business tycoon and possibly dodgy accountant/lawyer. Steer well clear of anything in the public sector. Even top hospital consultants earn less than 80 grand after years of training and saving lives. Even I know Paul shouldn't be earning nearly as much as them at 25.

However, to end on a positive. I'm absolutely thrilled that you now at least concede that Brian has talent. As you hated him more than Paul, we won't write you off as a lost cause yet.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2002, 11:13 PM #11

Quote:
For example my boyfriend works in the city (software analyis and management) and he makes over 400k annually. That is a real job.
How very discomforting to hear that you think a 'real' job is governed by how much you earn.

I'm sorry but IMHO 'real' jobs are the ones where you're in danger of getting a bit hands on - emergency services personnel come to mind. Our NHS (what's left of it!) is full of people who, to me, do 'real' jobs and for a pittance. It doesn't make them less worthy just because they don't earn as much as some smooth handed, smooth talking City bod.

What a sad, blinkered and may I say with all due respect, shallow, take on life you appear to have.

I'm sure you don't really mean to sound like 'Loadsamoney'! There is a heart beating there somewhere isn't there?
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2002, 08:02 PM #12

Thanks, susieq, I was wondering what I had been doing for the past 34 years if it wasn't a proper job.

I don't earn even 30kpa, but I do get people coming up to me in the street after 5,10,15 and 20 years thanking me for helping them with their babies and children. I have resuscitated a goodly few children and adults, and I have fought to remove children from violent and dangerous situations with some success.

I'm not rich but I can eat and pay the rent.
I see plenty of people who would like to be able to do those two things. I'm content.

Even if it isn't a real job!
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-01-2002, 11:05 PM #13

Hi ROB. Are we to presume by the deafening silence that a certain someone may have had an attack of guilty conscience? I hope so.

Old 30-01-2002, 12:46 PM #14

Helen said to Elizabeth in the house "If we were all the same it would be b****y boring" and I agree with her whole-heartedly. One man's meat is another man's poison etc etc.

For the record, Paul does it for me!!

Mairi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2002, 10:25 PM #15

Hi everyone I've not been one this site since before christmas, and I can't get it to work properly, I have x's everwhere and no way to post only by the quote post, it's what I'm using now so can anyone help me sort this out.
And nice to see all you talk bb2 housemates here as well as there
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2002, 10:42 PM #16
Administrator

Administrator

Hi discolady - welcome to the site.

Great to see you here - hope you enjoy it.

To sort out your problem, try going to your User Control Panel - then click on Edit Profile - then go down to Edit Profile (Options) Theme. If this is set to 'Use Default' try changing it to 'xmb2'. That should sort it out. If not, come back and let us know.

Old 30-01-2002, 11:06 PM #17

Hi discolady - we all find our way here in the end. It just goes to show we're all still hooked on BB2 and need to get our 'fix' with like minded people to keep us going.

Old 31-01-2002, 12:31 PM #18

Thanks Kaz, that worked great and I love the smilies I can now see all your posted without all those x's, I think this one , just sums me up.

and hi everone
Maggie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 12:32 PM #19

Hi discolady. A HUGE welcome to the site.
Mairi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 03:59 PM #20
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

Hi Discolady!

Thanks for informing us of the problem!
I will change the defualt setting to xmb2 now so no one else has the problem!

Happy Posting

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
paul, sera