Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-11-2012, 01:53 AM #1

Arrow Free breakfasts in Blackpool primary schools 'success'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20402251

Quote:
Plans to give all children in Blackpool a free school breakfast to stop them turning up for lessons hungry have been approved by the town's council.

From January, Blackpool's 12,000 primary school pupils are to receive free milk, fruit juice, cereal or toast as part of a three-month trial.

Council leader Simon Blackburn said "under-nourishment is a real problem" in the town.

The scheme will be rolled out to secondary schools if successful.

The potential annual cost would be in the region of £2.1m, according to a council report.

The aim of the scheme is to improve behaviour, attendance and standards in schools.

Mr Blackburn added: "Blackpool still has a big problem with attendance, attainment and behaviour in the classroom.

"Daily we see and hear of children attending school who quite clearly haven't had breakfast, and are not therefore able to learn.

"A recent survey of schoolchildren suggests that some of our older pupils are more likely to have used alcohol or tobacco in the last week than they are to have eaten breakfast or had five portions of fruit and veg a day.

"All of the evidence points towards the provision of school breakfasts improving attendance, attainment and behaviour - in some cases quite dramatically."
Whatever happened to parenting skills?

Well, apart from doing the school run in the 4x4 in pyjamas and curlers .....

Last edited by Omah; 07-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 01:59 AM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

is there any news you don't complain about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 02:01 AM #3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
is there any news you don't complain about?
Are you stalking me?

Old 20-11-2012, 08:12 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Omah, thanks for raising this important issue.
Where the heck do they get 2.1 million from!!
I'm sorry I think your picture of blackpool parents is way off...
Essex parents maybe haha.
Old 20-11-2012, 08:19 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I think this is a great thing..we do a similar thing in our school, except it isn’t always toast/cereal..but a healthy snack instead...maybe we should have publicised it...LOL...

..there was talk of every child being offered free school meals, but I don’t think it’s being pursued atm...

..the children who it will benefit most are those from low income/single parent families..and the majority of them try their very hardest to provide and have very good parenting skills...yes, there are some that prioritise wrongly but their children shouldn’t miss out on their learning because of that..every child in this country is entitled to an education...and I also certainly wouldn’t discriminate against children of any 4X4 pyjama curler brigade..although, personally, I haven’t seen any of them...a couple of 4x4s that’s all...

..I’m possibly one of the oldest people on this forum...and I know of children when I was at primary/middle school who would have benefitted from this...parenting skills are just as good, if not better than they ever were..there have always been a few who didn’t put their children first and there always will be...nothing has happened to parenting skills...it’s one of the most difficult and challenging ‘jobs’ there is and most people are doing their best and improving their skills constantly...all we can do is concentrate on the ones who maybe don’t take it seriously enough and try to educate them in their priorities...judging them will achieve nothing and most certainly be of no benefit whatsoever to their children.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:10 AM #6
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I think this is a great thing..we do a similar thing in our school, except it isn’t always toast/cereal..but a healthy snack instead...maybe we should have publicised it...LOL...

..there was talk of every child being offered free school meals, but I don’t think it’s being pursued atm...

..the children who it will benefit most are those from low income/single parent families..and the majority of them try their very hardest to provide and have very good parenting skills...yes, there are some that prioritise wrongly but their children shouldn’t miss out on their learning because of that..every child in this country is entitled to an education...and I also certainly wouldn’t discriminate against children of any 4X4 pyjama curler brigade..although, personally, I haven’t seen any of them...a couple of 4x4s that’s all...

..I’m possibly one of the oldest people on this forum...and I know of children when I was at primary/middle school who would have benefitted from this...parenting skills are just as good, if not better than they ever were..there have always been a few who didn’t put their children first and there always will be...nothing has happened to parenting skills...it’s one of the most difficult and challenging ‘jobs’ there is and most people are doing their best and improving their skills constantly...all we can do is concentrate on the ones who maybe don’t take it seriously enough and try to educate them in their priorities...judging them will achieve nothing and most certainly be of no benefit whatsoever to their children.....
I wholeheartedly agree with this comment, poor parenting skills are nothing new, the only thing that has changed is the publicity it receives.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 20-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 09:57 AM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I am not surprised this is being trialled in blackpool. The C4 series '999 whats your emergency' was a real eye opener!
Most think of the place as a happy seaside town, it's not...
It is really good to see that Blackpool council are being pro-active and all children are able to access this scheme.
This way no group gets stigmatised.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:24 AM #8

If parenting skills are so good, why do children from a suposedly affluent society need free breakfasts?

How long does it take to make a bowl of cornflakes?

I was born into a very poor family, yet my mother always provided my sister and myself with cereal and a hot/cold drink for breakfast before school with a small sandwich for elevenses (with free milk) to take us up to the proper meal at school-lunchtime ..... we always had a light meal at "tea-time" with biscuits and a bed-time drink for supper, too, but we never gew up fat ..... just heathy and well-educated .....

If poorly-performing parents aren't idle then they must be ignorant - no hope for their children there, then .....
Old 20-11-2012, 11:32 AM #9
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
If parenting skills are so good, why do children from a suposedly affluent society need free breakfasts?

How long does it take to make a bowl of cornflakes?

I was born into a very poor family, yet my mother always provided my sister and myself with cereal and a hot/cold drink for breakfast before school with a small sandwich for elevenses (with free milk) to take us up to the proper meal at school-lunchtime ..... we always had a light meal at "tea-time" with biscuits and a bed-time drink for supper, too, but we never gew up fat ..... just heathy and well-educated .....

If poorly-performing parents aren't idle then they must be ignorant - no hope for their children there, then .....
Is Blackpool classed as an affluent area of the UK?
We don't know why these children are not eating in the morning, there could be many factors..
Some could come from local authority care, be young carers, their parents may have mental health issues or addictions, they may not have time as parents rush off to work?
It is really sad but not all parents nurture their children as your mother did.
What can we do about it?
feed them, and hope it instills in them the benefit to do it for their own children.
Old 20-11-2012, 11:50 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzy View Post
Is Blackpool classed as an affluent area of the UK?
We don't know why these children are not eating in the morning, there could be many factors..
Some could come from local authority care, be young carers, their parents may have mental health issues or addictions, they may not have time as parents rush off to work?
It is really sad but not all parents nurture their children as your mother did.
What can we do about it?
feed them, and hope it instills in them the benefit to do it for their own children.
Blackpool's a "deprived" urban borough in an "affluent" rural setting - there's money passing through but not stopping .....

Once the schools feed the kids then NO parents will bother - why should their kids be left out of the freebie? A bad situation gets worse .....
Old 20-11-2012, 12:49 PM #11
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Blackpool's a "deprived" urban borough in an "affluent" rural setting - there's money passing through but not stopping .....

Once the schools feed the kids then NO parents will bother - why should their kids be left out of the freebie? A bad situation gets worse .....
Then you have to ask why Lancashire County Council is allowing Blackpool to slide into near dereliction as they did with morcambe?
That in my childhood was a lovely little seaside town.

I disagree totally that those parents who previously provided their children with breakfast will suddenly stop because a slice of toast is on offer at school...
Old 20-11-2012, 03:16 PM #12

Quote:
Then you have to ask why Lancashire County Council is allowing Blackpool to slide into near dereliction as they did with morcambe?.
I don't think LCC have a say in the matter now that Blackpool is a unitary authority.
Old 20-11-2012, 03:17 PM #13
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Blackpool is fine as a town, it's the twats that come here that ruin things.
Old 20-11-2012, 03:31 PM #14

Quote:
I disagree totally that those parents who previously provided their children with breakfast will suddenly stop because a slice of toast is on offer at school...
Then the kids will get fat on TWO breakfasts .....
Old 20-11-2012, 03:32 PM #15
charlton lee bowyer

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

charlton lee bowyer

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

well that going to help them
Marcus. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 03:37 PM #16
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Well then Blackpool as an independant town then... They seem to have put a lot of money into regenerating the seafront.
Lets hope they can plough some profits made from tourism this year back into the run down residential areas for the people who live and work there.
Do you live in Blackpool chewy?
Old 20-11-2012, 03:39 PM #17

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

What a load of absolute nonsense....what's next buying them all new clothes and taking them all to Disneyland...!!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 03:47 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
What a load of absolute nonsense....what's next buying them all new clothes and taking them all to Disneyland...!!!!
Its bad enough most households have to pay on average over a £1,400 p.a in Council Tax without this money being used to fund ridiculous schemes like this. And if there is money available to pay for hair brained schemes like this then that particular Council should reduce their Council Tax income for the following year. Either way this is left wing, liberal, Yoghurt munching nonsense....!!!!
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 04:07 PM #19
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well then Blackpool as an independant town then... They seem to have put a lot of money into regenerating the seafront.
Lets hope they can plough some profits made from tourism this year back into the run down residential areas for the people who live and work there.
Do you live in Blackpool chewy?
Yup, its a lot better of a town during the off season
Old 20-11-2012, 04:58 PM #20
User banned

User banned

the primary school and secondary school I went to have been doing breakfast clubs for about 10 years now
edit: it's probably because I live in one the most deprived boroughs in the UK pmsl

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 20-11-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 05:08 PM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
the primary school and secondary school I went to have been doing breakfast clubs for about 10 years now
edit: it's probably because I live in one the most deprived boroughs in the UK pmsl
Was yours free salman? lots of schools have breakfast clubs but they charge, it's really pricey too if I remember, it was only supermarkets own bread and it was 15p a slice!!
Old 20-11-2012, 05:18 PM #22
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Was yours free salman? lots of schools have breakfast clubs but they charge, it's really pricey too if I remember, it was only supermarkets own bread and it was 15p a slice!!
At the secondary school I went to you could eat free breakfasts as long as you arrived before 8am, after that though stuff like toast cost 30p... I don't know about my primary school.

I never ever went to any of these dirt cheap breakfast clubs by the way
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 05:25 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
At the secondary school I went to you could eat free breakfasts as long as you arrived before 8am, after that though stuff like toast cost 30p... I don't know about my primary school.

I never ever went to any of these dirt cheap breakfast clubs by the way
How come, were you embarrassed to?
Did many go to it?
Old 20-11-2012, 05:30 PM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Then the kids will get fat on TWO breakfasts .....
Well I guess they could if they could be bothered to get up, have one breckers, get to school and shovel another one in before 8am.....
Neither of mine would, prefer the extra time in their pits! haha!
Old 20-11-2012, 05:31 PM #25

If pupils made the effort to get to school by 8AM, why did they not, alternatively, spend 10 more minutes on breakfast at home ?

Were their parents too poor to afford a bowl of cereal or a couple of slices of bread, i.e. were they living in the 1930's ?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
approved, blackpool, breakfast, children, free, scheme, school