Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-11-2012, 06:30 PM #76

Omah, have you nothing else to do but post constant links that nobody really cares about?

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 12:02 AM #77
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
http://cllrsimonblackburn.com/

So ..... funded from the current budget, at the expense of other services, with the assistance of potential sponsors (Greggs, it could be you ..... )

If you know more about the plan than Simon, please let him know .....
'At the expense of other services?'.....What services are you speculating may be affected omah?
Of course I don't know more about it than the councillor...
I wholeheartedly agree with his view though, it is a very proactive response to a very serious issue.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:05 AM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzy View Post
'At the expense of other services?'.....What services are you speculating may be affected omah?.
I don't speculate - Simon says "Follow the link" .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 12:06 AM #79
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Omah, have you nothing else to do but post constant links that nobody really cares about?
I do care about this actually
redway....
Old 22-11-2012, 12:23 AM #80
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I don't speculate - Simon says "Follow the link" .....
Yes..... I have done this several times, nowhere does it state in the link any services are affected?
'Prioritizing budgets' and 'setting prudent financial plans' may not mean that implamenting this scheme is to the detriment of other services in Blackpool.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:45 AM #81

Quote:
Yes..... I have done this several times, nowhere does it state in the link any services are affected?
'Prioritizing budgets' and 'setting prudent financial plans' may not mean that implamenting this scheme is to the detriment of other services in Blackpool.
http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/News/Lea...eBlackpool.htm

Quote:
Cllr Simon Blackburn, Leader of Blackpool Council, said: “Every year we are faced with a seemingly impossible task of setting a budget with ever decreasing funds and ever increasing demands from residents.

“My recent blogs have discussed the pressures put on all public services by residents who aren’t willing to change their behaviour and will only ever be a drain on resources.

"What has been heartening is the response from the people who want a better life for themselves and their families and this budget aims to help those people.

“We are focusing our attention on what people tell us they want - cleaner and safer streets, improved public transport, a 24/7 anti-social and noise service, more help for local businesses, supporting libraries, and building on our pride in Blackpool through supporting our heritage and culture

“We’ve invested in the infrastructure of Blackpool and will continue to do so with new housing developments, improved and new schools, a programme to resurface the town’s roads via Project 30 and new street and traffic lights.

“The aspirations of our young residents need to be raised but we can’t expect to do that when they are going to school without being fed and living in sub-standard accommodation. We need to get the foundations right for them to build a successful and fulfilling life for themselves.

“Once the free milk and breakfast pilot launches in January we will be looking to see how successful it is and how we ensure all children receive nutritional meals every day. We want to explore how we can universally support hard working families in these really difficult financial times without stigmatising children. At the same time we do know that we also need to invest in better social care for children and adults which will help the most vulnerable people in the right way at the right time.

“In prioritising the services there are obviously going to be cuts that will be hard to take and I don’t want to try and hide that from the people of Blackpool.

"We’ve looked closely at back office and management costs to protect frontline services but some will be affected. Not all of the service cuts can be achieved without changing the way we work and what we can offer.

“We had to look at reducing significantly parts of the youth service and our customer first centre. Unfortunately people will have to accept that some services will need to be delivered in a different way and some will end or be reduced and there is no hiding from the fact that it will affect our residents.

“All of the proposals are of course subject to consultation and every household will be soon be receiving a copy of Your Blackpool with the full details of how they can have their say.”

This year the council looks to make £13.6 Million savings resulting in approximately 200 redundancies with an additional 100 posts lost as contracts end.
I can lead a horse to water .....

Please refer any further queries to Simon .....
Old 22-11-2012, 12:47 AM #82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway
I do care about this actually
redway....
Oh, is that what he said ..... ?

Last edited by Omah; 22-11-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 22-11-2012, 12:56 AM #83
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/News/Lea...eBlackpool.htm

I can lead a horse to water .....

Please refer any further queries to Simon .....
Oh.... I didn't realise I was meant to respond to a link I hadn't seen yet.....how silly of me.
I am posting from a mobile device, searching for information is difficult.
It's much easier when you have facts rather than supposition isn't it?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 PM #84

Thumbs up Blackpool's Devonshire Road School pupils enjoy free breakfast

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-20945553

Quote:
Pupils at a Blackpool primary school have given the thumbs up to a pilot scheme offering free breakfasts.

The £700,000 project is being offered to all 12,000 primary pupils in Blackpool, regardless of their family's finances.

Four hundred pupils at Devonshire Road Primary School got stuck in, on the first day of the three month trial.

Many pupils admitted they rarely have anything to eat or drink before school and those who did said it was rarely the healthy option.

"I don't often eat breakfast because I come from a large family and it can be rushed and a bit chaotic in the morning helping the little ones," said Tammy Lea Tyrell, 10, admitting she had really enjoyed it.

After eating cereal with a banana and some apple juice, Tammy said she felt ready for the day ahead.

While it has proved a hit with pupils, the scheme has come as a relief to the school's teachers.

Year 4 teacher Stephen Moalt, said children arriving at school without having breakfast has an adverse affect to their behaviour and their ability to learn.

"I have given children fruit out of my own lunchbox and it makes such a difference once they have had something to eat," said Mr Moalt.

"They get more involved and are more will willing to learn."

Andrew Brannigan, who teaches year 5 pupils, has been at Devonshire Road School for 13 years and said food had always been an issue with pupils.

He said the problem is not just about children who skip breakfast, "it is about having the right breakfast, too".

"Some children say they have had last night's KFC for breakfast or a packet of custard creams and you can tell by their behaviour and hyperactivity," he said.

"That can then have an adverse affect on all the other kids in the class, too."

Head teacher Neil Hodgkins said it was a great initiative because hungry children have caused problems.

"Some children are lethargic in the morning and it can be a job getting them going," he said.

"This guarantees all pupils have a good start to the day and will make them more alert and attentive and will also benefit punctuality and attendance.

"It also promotes healthy eating and hopefully establishing good habits for life."

The scheme was masterminded by Blackpool Council leader, Simon Blackburn.

He wants to extend the three-month project to include secondary schools in the town, which is among the most deprived in England, and provide universal free lunches.

Although the authority is having to cut £13.5m from next year's budget and 300 jobs are under threat, Mr Blackburn said feeding hungry children in Blackpool was "a priority".

He refused to lay blame on parents and said the authority should step in to make sure youngsters are properly fed in the morning and help them to focus on learning.

Mr Blackburn said: "It is not the kids' fault and for a wild variety of reasons, because families are busy or stretched financially, it is not acceptable to have hungry kids."

He added he was in discussions with companies interested in providing sponsorship to help fund the scheme.
Well, the teachers and kids are happy about it .....
Old 16-04-2013, 10:19 AM #85

Lightbulb Free breakfast scheme in Blackpool primary schools extended

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22163255

Quote:
A three month, £700,000 pilot scheme to give school children in Lancashire free breakfasts has been extended.

All 12,000 primary pupils in Blackpool have been offered free milk, fruit juice, cereal and toast since January in a bid to improve behaviour, attendance and standards in schools.

Blackpool Council said it is continuing the free breakfast scheme until May.

Researchers from Northumbria University are examining the benefits of the scheme.

The authority will make a final decision on continuing the project on 20 May.
That'll be another £500k then .....
Old 07-06-2013, 11:30 AM #86

Arrow Free breakfasts in Blackpool primary schools 'success'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22810432

Quote:
A pilot scheme offering free breakfasts to primary school children in Blackpool has improved their health and punctuality, say researchers.

All 12,000 pupils are offered milk, fruit juice, cereal and toast in a bid to benefit their performance in school.

Blackpool Council will decide on 17 June whether to extend its £1.3m scheme, which began in January, until the end of March 2014.

Northumbria University researchers have examined the scheme's benefits.

Dr Margaret Anne Defreyter, director of healthy living at Northumbria University, said: "Blackpool's free school breakfast scheme is one of the largest schemes operating within the UK.

"The overall findings of the evaluation of the Blackpool scheme are very positive and based on these findings I strongly recommend that the scheme continues."
Well, at least the kids are getting a good start to the day .....

OTOH :

On the other hand :

Quote:
Blackpool has a major problem with alcoholism, obesity, smoking and mental health.

Fylde psychotherapist Steve Pope estimates three-in-five families have a member with depression.

"We're losing the battle," he said. "We're dealing with some families where three generations haven't worked.

"It becomes interwoven in their way of life and can lead to addiction and depression."
Lancashire MIND, the mental health charity, is seeking funding to work with ten and 11-year olds in primary schools.
Team leader Samantha Wilkinson said: "They're children and they're losing their childhood. People will be shocked to hear that a 10-year old would contemplate suicide."

Last edited by Omah; 07-06-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 AM #87
User banned

User banned

This is good news, imo all school lunches even in secondary school should be free to every pupil regardless of their home income. At the secondary school I used to go, in the last 15 mins of lunch break the canteen still had trays and trays of food and they just used to throw them away. They wouldn't give it to pupils who were non free school meals that were hungry. I mean take me for example, I never bothered making packed lunches because they are never filling and they're annoying to carry in my bag. I didn't buy any school lunches because they were stupidly overpriced. So I used to just not eat at lunch, and many others were like me. The canteen staff had so much leftovers and only rarely used to give us some if we asked - most of the time it ended up in the bin. They were so intent on following the rules and being stingy. Such a waste of food and money.

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 07-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM #88
User banned

User banned

I just realised this thread is about breakfast oops
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM #89
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Good news indeed.

Its the job of the parent to prepare their kids but its also the job of the school to make sure no kids are disadvantaged at school. I'm surprised they found the money for this. Kids don't vote, parents who take advantage of schemes like this probably don't vote either.

I applaud this scheme going ahead when it has very little political gain. It seems like this has been put together entirely for the good of the kids. In this day and age that's very rare.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 07-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 PM #90
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yes it seems the scheme has been a success despite some bitching about the costing
The severe social deprivation is rife here and is widespread across the UK, it's only going to get worse due to the bedroom tax implemented since april.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM #91
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:

We have breakfast club here.. It's mainly for parents who have to drop their kids off before 9am. They get given a healthy breakfast then get to play for a bit.. It's not free though
Old 07-06-2013, 04:31 PM #92
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's not the same thing at all then is it? haha! this is an old article lee, I'm sure we've had this convo before? de ja vu....
Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM #93
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Lol... Have we?? You must have a better memory than me!

Omg.. I've got to the stage wher I'm going about the forum repeating myself and not even realising it!!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:36 PM #94
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

No sorry lee, it wasn't you just looked back
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 PM #95
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Phew! I'm not losing it after all
Old 07-06-2013, 04:37 PM #96

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Yes it seems the scheme has been a success despite some bitching about the costing
The severe social deprivation is rife here and is widespread across the UK, it's only going to get worse due to the bedroom tax implemented since april.
Blackpool's health: Life is short near the Golden Mile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-22772700

Quote:
Blackpool's Public Health Annual Report 2012 reveals Bloomfield has the lowest life expectancy figure for men in England, 13 years less than in parts of the south east.

Behind the statistics is a complex picture of deprivation, which millions of tourists who come to the resort each year never see.

The bill last year for alcohol-related harm and violence, including police and NHS resources and lost working days, was £100m.

There is one licensed premises for every 72 residents.

The health situation is compounded by seasonal unemployment and transience.

Dr Rajpura describes Blackpool as "a net importer of ill health" with "incomers" bringing problems with them, exacerbated when they fail to find work.

This wide range of deep-rooted issues has left an extraordinary discrepancy in terms of how long people can expect to live.

While men in the poorer, central areas of the town will reach an average age of 72, their counterparts just four miles north, in the Norbreck area, can expect to live a decade longer.

Blackpool women fare a little better but will still lose three years life expectancy compared to the national average - the third worst in the UK.
The kids better enjoy life and a full belly while they can, because life is grim for adults .....
Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 PM #97
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I can well believe it too the series 999 emergency on C4 was filmed there, what a place to live, it was a heartbreaking series.
My daughter is at Lancaster university she says Blackpool out of season is really grim.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
approved, blackpool, breakfast, children, free, scheme, school