Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Should students be allowed technology in school?
Yes 12 70.59%
Yes
12 70.59%
No 5 29.41%
No
5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-11-2012, 04:38 PM #1

Default Should students be allowed technology in school?

basically, I have to conduct a survey on this question for my sociology assignment.

My topic was should students from the ages 11-15 be allowed to use technology in class and break, so like mobiles, Laptops, Ipods etc..

For:
Argument for it is that it could benefit their learning, a they could research in class get extra information and complete tasks to a high standard. Obviously teachers will check there being used appropriately. Also, listening to music helps a lot a students concentrate when writing or doing artwork, Obviously wont be allowed to use it when the teacher is talking.

Against:

Argument against is that Students may stop concentrating and take advantage of this luxury, they may use it for social networking and games. Also, Students may not get as much work as wanted done, because their spending all there time researching, or listening to music, which can be very distracting to the person listening to it, and the people around them.

So, taking into consideration these factors, what is your opinion on this matter?

All contributions is much appreciated, thank you all
Jamie585 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:42 PM #2

Well, the For arguments are a bit weak.

If you need to do research, the school (at least they should) provide computers/laptops for pupils to use. No need for mobiles.

And there's always the radio/CD player to play music.

The internet/mobile is such a distraction for me and my work that I can see it causing a huge lack of concentration in schools.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:03 PM #3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Mobiles are necessary in the case of illness, or arranging to be picked up, and so on. Some people use laptops to do work so I don't really mind that, but I personally never took mine in. iPods I suppose aren't necessary but I can't legitimise banning them when I approve the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:05 PM #4
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

yes but not in lessons ...not that anyone will listen

Spoiler:

Saph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:15 PM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

No... Teachers have better things to do than police kids facebooking and listening to lady gaga in the middle of maths.
Old 27-11-2012, 05:17 PM #6

Yeah. If they're caught with one in class for non-educational purposes then confiscate the said piece of equipment. I support it for the sheer reason of entertainment and letting them do what they want for a bit, though. Not for educational purposes or whatever.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 27-11-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:32 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzy View Post
No... Teachers have better things to do than police kids facebooking and listening to lady gaga in the middle of maths.

You Are Most Wise
Kizzy
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:34 PM #8
charlton lee bowyer

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

charlton lee bowyer

Favourites (more):
BB19: Akeem
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Yes only for serious calls
Marcus. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:39 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Yes, even though it's not totally necessary, it's still great help. There's 2 or 3 people in one of my classes that take notes with their iPad because they find that easier. Sometimes when the teacher sets us assignments/essays written on the board and we have no time to copy it down, we just take a photo of it Also teachers send us texts or emails if the lesson is cancelled and tell us what to do to catch up. Having a phone/iPod etc is great help.

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 27-11-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:49 PM #10
ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

ZakJam <3~

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Zak
BBCanada 9: Victoria

The problem is that it depends on the student and who would take advantage of being allowed technology. I listened to music throughout my GCSE Maths and I ended up with the highest mark in my set and was one of the few who didn't end up having to attend extra sessions (and trust me, I'm no mathematician ). That class what ridiculous though. The teacher didn't teach at all, one time he decided to put Borat on, there was constant arguments, fights and a dildo was thrown around the class one time which ended up with one boy having a breakdown that a video of him being slapped by it would go viral. So in that class, thank **** for my ipod.

Otherwise I think generally it gets taken advantage of. Technology IS there to help people but I think most of the time people just don't use it for the right reasons and it tends to be the younger students who will play games on a computer, listen to N-Dubz rather than their Biology teacher and text during class. I have no qualms with students from A level onwards having them, reluctant about GCSE age, but I don't think students younger than that get benefits from bringing their laptops, ipods and phones. It's all about their personal maturity an responsibility, so it entirely depends on the person. I take notes in my lectures on paper while my friend plays football manager the entire time and then doesn't know what they're talking about.

At the end of the day if they're not going to use helpful tools for reasons that actually benefit them, then it's their loss. More mature students shouldn't have to suffer because of immature ones.

Last edited by LemonJam; 27-11-2012 at 05:53 PM.
LemonJam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:04 PM #11
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Mobiles are necessary in the case of illness, or arranging to be picked up, and so on. Some people use laptops to do work so I don't really mind that, but I personally never took mine in. iPods I suppose aren't necessary but I can't legitimise banning them when I approve the others.
my school had a school nurse you went to if you became unwell and office staff who would phone your mum if you needed to go home.

I don't see any need for phones etc I'm school.. not only is it a distraction, there will be the usual "you've got a **** phone ha2" type bullying.
Old 27-11-2012, 06:11 PM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I am too distractable to read that... If there was anything to distract me at school it would, my son is the same
Old 27-11-2012, 06:23 PM #13

Thanks for all your contributions
Jamie585 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 06:29 PM #14
xo

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Dani
Survivor 34: Andrea

xo

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Dani
Survivor 34: Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee. View Post
my school had a school nurse you went to if you became unwell and office staff who would phone your mum if you needed to go home.

I don't see any need for phones etc I'm school.. not only is it a distraction, there will be the usual "you've got a **** phone ha2" type bullying.
Walking home from school, they are needed, incase you're in trouble..

Anyway i would say no phones etc in class, but you should be allowed to bring them to school, my phone was always in my blazer pocket, but it only ever came out, if i wanted to check the time quickly or text my friends at lunch/ring my mum for when i wanted to be picked up
Old 27-11-2012, 06:33 PM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..Yes, I think it's a great thing...technology is an Ofsted requirement and schools can get marked down for it, even if they haven't the resources to provide it fully themselves. In my opinion there are good benefits which outweigh the bad...of course there is a huge element of trust, but you can't hinder learning by that...there will always be people who will abuse anything, no matter what it is....I only work in a Primary school, but our goal is to provide ipads for the children...they will be far more effective than the interactive whiteboards and laptops......

...in the Upper school in my village, mobiles are allowed because people do sometimes need to contact their parents and their parents also sometimes need to contact them in emergencies..and in such a large school, it isn't always easy or quick to track down a child in their lesson.....

..obviously the student has to take full responsibility for any valuable item taken into school....

..and as for the music..well, we provide background calming music in all classrooms because it does soothe and help children to concentrate and work happily.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:13 PM #16
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

I think the technophobic stance some schools take to students and electronics is just silly. They can help a lot really. In my school, when you were in Year 7-11, you weren't allowed your phone at all. If you were caught with it, it would be confiscated, parents phoned, and then you'd be suspended for a day. The same goes for iPods/MP3 players. It's a idiotic rule, because everyone brings their phones/iPods in regardless. It does nothing to deter the problem. Tablets/laptops are completely banned too, obviously.

But once you get to Sixth Form, you're allowed to have your phone with you, so long as its not used within lessons (other than to record homework etc). Tablets and laptops are allowed in lessons and in the common room if you want to take notes/do work with them. It's a much more relaxed attitude and it works a lot better than lower down the school. I don't text half as much in lessons now as I did in Year 11. And I take my laptop in to do notes all the time too. I took History and Psychology and the amount of notes and writing you do in both is huge, so being able to type it all out is a boon. Plus I can back it all up to the internet and never lose anything. Ever. It's a win-win situation imo.
Old 27-11-2012, 07:17 PM #17
ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

ॐ❤✌❤ॐ❤☯❤ॐ❤✌❤ॐ

Favourites (more):

I used to change my bluetooth name and send people random pictures at lunch time

Spoiler:

Saph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 07:50 PM #18
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
I think the technophobic stance some schools take to students and electronics is just silly. They can help a lot really. In my school, when you were in Year 7-11, you weren't allowed your phone at all. If you were caught with it, it would be confiscated, parents phoned, and then you'd be suspended for a day. The same goes for iPods/MP3 players. It's a idiotic rule, because everyone brings their phones/iPods in regardless. It does nothing to deter the problem. Tablets/laptops are completely banned too, obviously.

But once you get to Sixth Form, you're allowed to have your phone with you, so long as its not used within lessons (other than to record homework etc). Tablets and laptops are allowed in lessons and in the common room if you want to take notes/do work with them. It's a much more relaxed attitude and it works a lot better than lower down the school. I don't text half as much in lessons now as I did in Year 11. And I take my laptop in to do notes all the time too. I took History and Psychology and the amount of notes and writing you do in both is huge, so being able to type it all out is a boon. Plus I can back it all up to the internet and never lose anything. Ever. It's a win-win situation imo.
..yeah, you're right Niall...the benefits of having these things in school are huge...and unfortunately, school budgets cant always supply them themselves..I think on the whole that if you stop making things taboo, then most people will respect that and use them as the school rules guide..obviously there will be some that don't but you get that with anything...and they probably wouldn't be paying attention in lessons anyway, they'd just find something eles to distract them......

..there is also an agreement that students have to sign and if they are found to be breaking the agreement then it will result in an exclusion.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:51 PM #19
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):

I think taking a draconian stance on it like my school does (when you're in years 7-11) doesn't work. They suspend people for having mobile phones or iPods on their person - even if they're switched off - and laptops/tablets are banned in lessons. People ignore those rules anyway. Everyone texts in class (I used to do it all the time in lower school) and have their phones with them so it's not the powerful deterrent the school think it to be.

But now that I'm in Sixth Form, their far more lax with the restrictions on technology. We're allowed our phones with us all the time, even in lessons (albeit only if we're using them for something productive/relevant to the lesson). I also take my laptop in to take notes and do work because I type so much faster than I can write. It's so helpful for psychology and history where pages of note taking per lesson is the norm. Loads of people take in tablets to do the same thing too.

I just think if they were perhaps a bit more lenient and involving of the technology used by students then maybe the benefits would outweigh the problems. Banning it altogether will never work..

Last edited by Niall; 27-11-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Niall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 12:03 AM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

For the benefit of the lesson then it may be warranted to use one for research purposes.
However, as said kids are going to use ipods and phones in class regardless.
Teachers can't be wasting time chastising those who can't follow a simple rule...
So fine let them do what they like.
Mind you, when the exam pass rate starts falling my guess is it will be blamed on the standard of teaching rather than the 'tech'.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
allowed, school, students, technology