Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM #51
User banned

User banned

Radio 1 will never play it
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM #52
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

It should be played simply because it's not the BBC's place to be taking a stance on a political issue. This is what people want to buy, so on the basic premise of the chart show - this is what you have to play. It doesn't have to be playlisted or even discussed but it needs to be played so as not to potentially poke their nose in on this issue.

I'm not entirely convinced they're going to play it but I'll be very disappointed if it's not. And that's not because I support this, it's because it simply isn't the BBC's choice to decide not to play a song that people have been buying and downloading. The show is meant to reflect this week's sales, so I'm sorry, but it needs to be played.

Last edited by Jack_; 11-04-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 PM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
IThis is what people want to buy, so on the basic premise of the chart show - this is what you have to play. It doesn't have to be playlisted or even discussed but it needs to be played so as not to potentially poke their nose in on this issue.t should be played simply because it's not the BBC's place to be taking a stance on a political issue.

I'm not entirely convinced they're going to play it but I'll be very disappointed if it's not. And that's not because I support this, it's because it simply isn't the BBC's choice to decide not to play a song that people have been buying and downloading. The show is meant to reflect this week's sales, so I'm sorry, but it needs to be played.

I agree they are funded by the licence payer end of.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM #54
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

I hope they don't do what they did with Crazy Frog and just say the title and not play it.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM #55
Z

Z

They have to acknowledge it, but I doubt they'll play it. It's not their place to make political statements, but there's a line to be drawn somewhere and I think they'll draw it at playing a song that's charted to poke fun at a former British Prime Minister's death.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM #56

BBC to play Ding Dong in chart show despite anti-Thatcher Facebook push

Radio 1 says it may ask Newsbeat reporter to explain context of song, as top five entry poses test for corporation's new chief

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...tcher-facebook
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 PM #57

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
I think the song should be played. Let the bandwagon of Thatcher haters have their way. This will only brush over by next week until the next big/"controversial" thing comes along and this will be forgotten about. Who cares. I don't think Thatcher will care because she is dead. It says a lot more about people who use so much hate and hold a grudge rather than being the opposite and showing some love and moving on. If people used their emotions towards love than hate more often then the world would be a better place.
100% right.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM #58
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

If it is in the charts and people have payed money to get it there, it should be played.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:50 PM #59
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I agree Ninastar and I think that whether people think it is disgraceful or justifed, as Dezzy said..it certainly has no class and only serves to hurt her family, who are actually grieving... no matter what the nation's views are..

..the reality of it is that the person this is all aimed at will never be effected by it as the lyrics 'wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you..' will just not happen but her family and children especially, cannot help but be hurt by this sort of thing....
bang on as usual

and i think some people are actually enjoying this. it's just... i have no words
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
bang on as usual

and i think some people are actually enjoying this. it's just... i have no words
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I agree Ninastar and I think that whether people think it is disgraceful or justifed, as Dezzy said..it certainly has no class and only serves to hurt her family, who are actually grieving... no matter what the nation's views are..

..the reality of it is that the person this is all aimed at will never be effected by it as the lyrics 'wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you..' will just not happen but her family and children especially, cannot help but be hurt by this sort of thing....
Spot on. People can be so stupid.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM #61
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
bang on as usual

This, spot on
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
If it is in the charts and people have payed money to get it there, it should be played.
I have to disagree with you on this one, as much as I usually agree with the gist of what you're saying.

Fair enough about people listening to it in their free time but I think we can afford to let a few quid slip by for the sake of her loved ones, who are actually mourning. Please don't think I'm having a go, but there are priorities and showing respect for those near to her is so much more important than money wasted on such a distasteful and utterly pointless song.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 11-04-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 PM #63
-

-

Not being funny, people have bought this to mock a dead woman. Like her or not, it's disrespectful, and if BBCR or whoever else don't want to play it then so be it, people can listen to it with their headphones in if they really wish.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM #64
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I have to disagree with you a little, as much as I usually agree with the gist of what you're saying.

Fair enough about people listening to it in their free time but I think we can afford to let a few quid slip by for the sake of her loved ones, who are actually mourning. Please don't think I'm having a go, but there are priorities and showing respect for those near to her is so much more important than money.
I'd never think you were having a go Redway, people cannot agree all the time,that is what makes debate and even chats more interesting.

Personally,I am more incensed at public money going to the funeral costs than I am as to this very short song having a week or two in the charts.
I am able though to see all points.

I just don't think myself that the BBC should fall down on one side or the other,so should just play the daft thing for a week and actually doing so will likely draw less attention to it anyway.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM #65
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
BBC to play Ding Dong in chart show despite anti-Thatcher Facebook push

Radio 1 says it may ask Newsbeat reporter to explain context of song, as top five entry poses test for corporation's new chief

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013...tcher-facebook
This seems a decent compromise (for want of a better word), reflecting the sales but informing younger listeners of the context behind its entry. If this happens I think they've made a good decision. As I said, regardless of your views on this (and mine are fairly indifferent to be honest), it is not up to the BBC to take any kind of stance on this issue. The chart show is supposed to deliver the week's highest music sales, and by not playing this they have failed to do so...especially if it charts as high as it is looking to. They don't have to playlist it, but if this is what people wish to purchase, then this is what needs to be played.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I'd never think you were having a go Redway, people cannot agree all the time,that is what makes debate and even chats more interesting.

Personally,I am more incensed at public money going to the funeral costs than I am as to this very short song having a week or two in the charts.
I am able though to see all points.

I just don't think myself that the BBC should fall down on one side or the other,so should just play the daft thing for a week and actually doing so will likely draw less attention to it anyway.
Thanks for understanding.

I've just been infuriated about this whole topic over this past week so I may sometimes come across as having a go.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM #67

I think they should just play it....it's getting more bloody attention with people debating whether or not it should be played. Her family will be under no illusion as of the strength of feeling both for and more notably against her. This is just feeding the fanaticals IMO who are trying to use anything as a fight. It's bad taste IMO but its not going to effect much in the long run.

Last edited by AnnieK; 11-04-2013 at 08:17 PM.
AnnieK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM #68
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH95 View Post
Not being funny, people have bought this to mock a dead woman. Like her or not, it's disrespectful, and if BBCR or whoever else don't want to play it then so be it, people can listen to it with their headphones in if they really wish.
The problem is is that this has been bought by opponents of Thatcher, and if the BBC were to not play this, it is perfectly feasible to argue they are taking a pro-Thatcher stance. It's not up to them to take sides on this, if this is what people wish to buy, and it makes it into the top 40, then by rights of the point of the chart show - it should be played. It doesn't need to be discussed, Scott only said 'following an online campaign it's reached #10' on the Update on Wednesday with no further detail, and it doesn't have to be playlisted, but by not playing it they are going out of their way to take a side on the issue, and that goes against the neutral and impartial position the BBC should hold.

What goes on in the real world is entirely separate from the BBC's output, it should simply just exist to reflect what is going on outside with no biased input of its own. If people have bought this song and it has charted high enough to be played on the Official Chart Show, Radio 1 should do what it always does and play it.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 PM #69
-

-

But does it mean that they are being 100% pro Thatcher by not playing it? Could it not be that this whole campaign is disgusting and offensive to some? It's not some pop-song that's charted highly, it's a song that is being used to mock a persons death.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 PM #70
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH95 View Post
But does it mean that they are being 100% pro Thatcher by not playing it? Could it not be that this whole campaign is disgusting and offensive to some? It's not some pop-song that's charted highly, it's a song that is being used to mock a persons death.
But it is not the BBC's place to decide that is wrong, it should remain neutral and impartial on all issues, reflecting both sides of the coin. It is not up to them to say 'nope, I'm sorry, this is disgusting so we're not playing it', because that is just a matter of opinion, and the BBC should not be letting their own personal agenda or opinions get in the way of the chart show's basis premise -which is to play the top 40 songs that people have been buying and downloading during the week. To go out of their way to not do that and specifically make a point of their own, defeats their entire objection.

The debates about whether or not this is acceptable should happen outside of the BBC, they are just merely a platform to reflect the happenings in the outside world in a unbiased manner.

Last edited by Jack_; 11-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM #71
-

-

Yeah, good points Jack and I appreciate your point of view
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM #72
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
But it is not the BBC's place to decide that is wrong, it should remain neutral and impartial on all issues, reflecting both sides of the coin. It is not up to them to say 'nope, I'm sorry, this is disgusting so we're not playing it', because that is just a matter of opinion, and the BBC should not be letting their own personal agenda or opinions get in the way of the chart show's basis premise -which is to play the top 40 songs that people have been buying and downloading during the week. To go out of their way to not do that and specifically make a point of their own, defeats their entire objection.

The debates about whether or not this is acceptable should happen outside of the BBC, they are just merely a platform to reflect the happenings in the outside world in a unbiased manner.
I don't see anything that isn't disgusting about a hate campaign over the death of someone...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM #73

This reminds me of Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Relax. That was initially released and then subsequently banned by Radio 1- which drove it to number 1 and got it far more attention than it would have got otherwise and the same thing is happening here. I agree with jack it should just be played and that be the end of it, it stops getting the attention and goes back to being just a song from the wizard of oz
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 PM #74
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniek76 View Post
This reminds me of Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Relax. That was initially released and then subsequently banned by Radio 1- which drove it to number 1 and got it far more attention than it would have got otherwise and the same thing is happening here. I agree with jack it should just be played and that be the end of it, it stops getting the attention and goes back to being just a song from the wizard of oz
Very true Annie. If the trolls have their way for a week, it'll die down.

Last edited by Jake.; 11-04-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 PM #75
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..it was Annie, Jake lol..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
charts, dead, ding, dong, reenter, set, witch