Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM #1
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Default Lessons in life

Should there be a new structure in schools that would have weekly compulsory lessons that focused on the life?

these would include,
responsibility for yourself
in depth sex education
drug and drink dangers
diet
racism
and many more subjects that you face during your life!, I know we focus on these issues already during education but I think more needs to be done!
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM #2
Half-Wit Zeus

Favourites (more):
BBUSA17: Vanessa
BBUSA15: Elissa
Half-Wit Zeus

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
Should there be a new structure in schools that would have weekly compulsory lessons that focused on the life?

these would include,
in depth sex education
drug and drink dangers
diet
racism
and many more subjects that you face during your life!, I know we focus on these issues already during education but I think more needs to be done!
Yes, Sheriff, it's called "being a parent." And Health class actually does cover most of those items already. I do get what you're saying though, but I think much of what our children learn can be taught at home, even as that is difficult to manage with some teens who just want to be out with their friends all the time. It's not always easy to talk to them. So "being a parent" isn't exactly a cakewalk, we can't simply shout orders at them and have them respond, it's going to take some serious effort.

One man's opinion.

<( -'.'- )>

SharkAttack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 AM #3
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkAttack View Post
Yes, Sheriff, it's called "being a parent." And Health class actually does cover most of those items already. I do get what you're saying though, but I think much of what our children learn can be taught at home, even as that is difficult to manage with some teens who just want to be out with their friends all the time. It's not always easy to talk to them. So "being a parent" isn't exactly a cakewalk, we can't simply shout orders at them and have them respond, it's going to take some serious effort.

One man's opinion.
I also know what you are saying, but some have no idea about how hard it is to be a parent, if a lesson is focused on life from the time you start school to the time you leave at least something of use may of sunk in.
plus in school you cant just shout down and say im on my xbox and im to busy to listen.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 AM #4
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

these would include,
in depth sex education
drug and drink dangers
diet
racism
Most of the above is covered under the national curriculum Sherriff and as SA said by parents...

i do think money management should be taught in school, and I think Martin the Money guy is pushing for this. It can be taught at home of course but I think learning to manage your finances should be taught in school as well.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:50 AM #5
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Most of the above is covered under the national curriculum Sherriff and as SA said by parents...

i do think money management should be taught in school, and I think Martin the Money guy is pushing for this. It can be taught at home of course but I think learning to manage your finances should be taught in school as well.
but is enough being done and for long enough,
we are still seeing teenage pregnacies, kids drinking, lack of responsibility for there actions.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 AM #6
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

We covered all the above in Social Education
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM #7
Half-Wit Zeus

Favourites (more):
Half-Wit Zeus

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I also know what you are saying, but some have no idea about how hard it is to be a parent, if a lesson is focused on life from the time you start school to the time you leave at least something of use may of sunk in.
plus in school you cant just shout down and say im on my xbox and im to busy to listen.
Yes, I take the XBox controllers and hide them. 'If you want them back, we'll have a 30 minute chat first, because I cherish your life, my daughter/son.' "Listen for a few minutes, this will help you later in life, alright?...a few minutes."

My kids sometimes hate me, but they aren't abandoned. Keep in touch with them, I think that is key. Schools could help, sure, but I truly do believe, Sheriff, that we need to work harder at these things at home, myself included.

Just need to get them out the door with a solid foundation, and they'll make us all proud.

<( -'.'- )>

SharkAttack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkAttack View Post
Yes, I take the XBox controllers and hide them. 'If you want them back, we'll have a 30 minute chat first, because I cherish your life, my daughter/son.' "Listen for a few minutes, this will help you later in life, alright?...a few minutes."

My kids sometimes hate me, but they aren't abandoned. Keep in touch with them, I think that is key. Schools could help, sure, but I truly do believe, Sheriff, that we need to work harder at these things at home, myself included.

Just need to get them out the door with a solid foundation, and they'll make us all proud.

I agree with all of this.

As for enough being done, Sherriff I think in some ways too much is done, take away some of the benefits for single young mothers, make young fathers more accountable, then they might be more interested in taking up all the FREE contraception that is available to them.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
lessons, life