Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 17-06-2013, 06:23 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Is it ok to joke about anything...

..there are some very controversial comedians whose humour can often offend people and whenever there is something very tragic happened, there are often texts/emails etc and things on the internet, which are very cruel but is that acceptable humour..?....do you feel there are 'off limits' or when it comes to comedy, anything is ok..?..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:28 AM #2

Everyone's perception of comedy is quite different I think. It always amazes me how quickly the jokes get out when someone dies or there is a big news story, within minutes I usually have text message with "jokes".

The comedians who just do shock factor humour don't do it for me but they are successful so people must find them funny...
Old 17-06-2013, 06:34 AM #3
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Yes it is. Freedom of speech

People get offended way too easily nowadays IMO
Old 17-06-2013, 06:35 AM #4
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

There's things that I don't find funny and everything cause its sick but I never get offended or sad about it
Old 17-06-2013, 06:36 AM #5

It depends what you mean by "okay". Do you mean should it be illegal to joke about certain things? or do you just mean in terms of politeness? or political correctness? Morally okay?

Obviously offending people is not nice, but I wouldn't say it's morally wrong or should be illegal.

As long as you are not threatening people.

I think the mohammed cartoons are the big example, is it wrong to do something that offends muslims, knowing that muslims will overreact and get violent? Personally I side with freedom of speech. The only ones to blame for violence are the people who commit violence. I don't think you should blame or censor comedians or artists at all just because some people will be offended.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-06-2013 at 06:41 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:53 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
It depends what you mean by "okay". Do you mean should it be illegal to joke about certain things? or do you just mean in terms of politeness? or political correctness? Morally okay?

Obviously offending people is not nice, but I wouldn't say it's morally wrong or should be illegal.

As long as you are not threatening people.

I think the mohammed cartoons are the big example, is it wrong to do something that offends muslims, knowing that muslims will overreact and get violent? Personally I side with freedom of speech. The only ones to blame for violence are the people who commit violence. I don't think you should blame or censor comedians or artists at all just because some people will be offended.
..no, I don't mean in terms of making it legal/illegal but that is a good point because I don't think it's something that could be legislated against..but more what people's personal thoughts/opinions are..whether for them 'in the name of comedy' anything goes type thing because even with awful/tragic etc instances..it kind of 'lightens' them and it's not something that is meant as such, just a comedic observation of something...
Old 17-06-2013, 06:58 AM #7
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

There's a real and vehement opposition to jokes about rape, I've noticed online. I find it a weird taboo, given there are many other equally heinous crimes.

I personally can take some relish in shock-humour but equally tire of comedians that rely upon it too much (see: Frankie Boyle).

And I do fear the death of freedom of speech. Well, it's already arguably died. People being imprisoned for distasteful tweets (I saw someone got community service and fined for an ill-timed joke about Lee Rigby, something like "if I saw someone wearing a [t-shirt brand he was wearing] i'd probably decapitate him too"... obviously in poor taste, but wholly undeserving of criminal action when so many worse death threats and intimidations go unnoticed on Twitter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:06 AM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I have an issue with so called 'black humour' it's distasteful and only those who have never been touched by the subject matter could feign to find 'humour' in it.
Insensitive and shocking material I would say is never funny.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:07 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
There's a real and vehement opposition to jokes about rape, I've noticed online. I find it a weird taboo, given there are many other equally heinous crimes.

I personally can take some relish in shock-humour but equally tire of comedians that rely upon it too much (see: Frankie Boyle).

And I do fear the death of freedom of speech. Well, it's already arguably died. People being imprisoned for distasteful tweets (I saw someone got community service and fined for an ill-timed joke about Lee Rigby, something like "if I saw someone wearing a [t-shirt brand he was wearing] i'd probably decapitate him too"... obviously in poor taste, but wholly undeserving of criminal action when so many worse death threats and intimidations go unnoticed on Twitter).
..yeah, I read about that case, it was a young female wasn't it..?..her flippant remark was in reference to a bad fashion sense thing and I think she made it without the full realisation of what happened because it was very shortly after the incident...it's kind of like the on/off button, if you don't like certain humour/find it offensive etc then don't watch it/read it..I also think that it's controversial because it hits on sensitive subjects so there will always be people who say have a disabled child for instance..(just a random example..) who may take it personally and feel that it's completely unacceptable because it hits too close to home..but then any subject can be be personal to someone, no matter what it is...

Last edited by Ammi; 17-06-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:17 AM #10

I remember after 9/11 they took the late night talk shows off the air, and there was a question as to when was appropriate to have any comedy on TV after 9/11. It wasn't even about making jokes about 9/11 but making any jokes at all. It was almost as if no one should be laughing about ANYTHING for a week after 9/11. Even comedy that had nothing to do with 9/11.

It was like if you watched anything other than news for that first week it was disrespectful. It was very weird.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:23 AM #11
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

on the subject!, joking about anything, it seems on here there are double standards on the matter of being gay or gay jokes, a gay guy can go ott with a joke to another gay guy on here but when someone like my self who has no hang up's about gay people has a joke with a gay member its seen as me having a dig at gays and I got infracted which lead to a ban!
just to add the person I was joking with knew I was joking.

Last edited by thesheriff443; 17-06-2013 at 07:27 AM.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:24 AM #12
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):

Yeah... I just think there can't really be any grey areas on this topic. You can't say jokes about being a dwarf or ginger or camp are okay and then object to a joke about a recent dead celebrity, or fat people... there are just too many different examples and too many possibilities for offence that you just have to let it be.

Mood affects everything, sometimes you'll object to comedy because you're going through a break up, or have lost your job. Emotional impulses are too immeasurable to have any serious influence on the law, or should be anyway.

In the case of offensive humour (for example, Ricky Gervais' monggate) there's also the issues of context and linguistics. What one might deem an unacceptable word today, we may shrug off in a decade or two. What we deem acceptable today can have really dark and horrible etymology: a good example is the colloquial use of "lame" to mean something uncool. It obviously originates from being disabled and "lame". That seems to go unnoticed, but largely because language changes and takes on different new meanings... I don't think anyone uses "lame" to mean anything other than rubbish or boring, now.

But obviously when a group of people with no choice on their predicament are in that situation, it's more complicated. I don't really see a massive issue in using the N word or '********t' in appropriate context, but when used as an insult it's obvious.

I just guess there're too many unquantifiables: intent, context, taste, offence. But that should mean we are more hesitant to hand out criminal punishment.

I lean more to the belief sometimes that anything goes. Anyone can say any sort of racist, homophobic nonsense they like. That is true freedom of speech. Only when it gets to intimidation and clear threatening behaviour should the law intervene. But I don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 17-06-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:32 AM #13

I think there are boundries when you are making fun of something that you are not a part of. For instance, I may make fun of my own family, but if someone else makes fun of my family, even if they are making fun of them for the same things i've made fun of them for, it's not the same thing. It's offensive. I can say whatever i like about my brother or my mom or my dad, but if someone else makes fun of them, I get very defensive.

The same is true for race or sexual orientation.

Like if you are a child of an immigrant family, maybe your parents have an accent, and you make jokes about your mom's accent. If someone else made fun of your moms accent it would be very different.

Is it a double standard? yes. But you can understand why. It's just how humans are.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-06-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 17-06-2013, 07:37 AM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Think there are two separate subjects here, internet trolls who make banal comments on tragic incidents and 'shock jock' comedians.
Neither deserve a platform as they feed from the misery of others, ask someone who has been raped if they find jokes about it funny.
Yes they have the right to say it and there are those who enjoy black humour, those who don't share that can switch off yes, however it doesn't sit right with me and I can't find the humour in mockery of this type.
So for me yes there are some things that should be off limits and never deemed humorous subject matter.

Last edited by Kizzy; 17-06-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 07:59 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I think there are boundries when you are making fun of something that you are not a part of. For instance, I may make fun of my own family, but if someone else makes fun of my family, even if they are making fun of them for the same things i've made fun of them for, it's not the same thing. It's offensive. I can say whatever i like about my brother or my mom or my dad, but if someone else makes fun of them, I get very defensive.

Like if you are a child of an immigrant family, maybe your parents have an accent, and you make jokes about your mom's accent. If someone else made fun of your moms accent it would be very different.Is it a double standard? yes. But you can understand why. It's just how humans are.

..I don't think that's double standards though because they would be directing that 'joke' at your mum or someone personally and people can only really do that when they are familiar with that person and know they will take it in humour..for me it would only be double standards if someone was generally joking about say a specific accent which you happened to have and you took offence to that, yet maybe you would joke about something else that you found amusing, I don't know, that could be anything couldn't it...so then it becomes this thing about whether anything should be joked about because it will always offend someone..so would it just be best to never joke...but then there would be no balance to all the horrible/tragic/unfortunate things that happen in life, both to individuals and the world in general....
Old 17-06-2013, 08:08 AM #16
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:

Like if you are a child of an immigrant family, maybe your parents have an accent, and you make jokes about your mom's accent. If someone else made fun of your moms accent it would be very different.

Is it a double standard? yes. But you can understand why. It's just how humans are.
I agree with this.

I don't necessarily see it as double standards though, families can have banter all the time.
Then however, for outsiders to the family to 'joke/comment' on the same things is at the very least inappropriate so I feel you would be right to get defensive. I would too.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 08:14 AM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

''The same is true for race or sexual orientation.''

I don't believe it's right for race or sexual orientation too though, that to me is a whole new ball game than just some general mockery of an individual.
Old 17-06-2013, 08:53 AM #18

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I have an issue with so called 'black humour' it's distasteful and only those who have never been touched by the subject matter could feign to find 'humour' in it.
Insensitive and shocking material I would say is never funny.
100% agree,there are enough things to find humour in without resorting to jesting about the murder or death of someone,If a comedian is 'proffesional'he/she would not need to resort to that anyway.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:11 AM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
100% agree,there are enough things to find humour in without resorting to jesting about the murder or death of someone,If a comedian is 'proffesional'he/she would not need to resort to that anyway.
..the thing is though Kaz, for me this is where it gets difficult/complicated...I've read and heard some quite harsh 'jokes' about say the death of people like Margaret Thatcher/Saddam Hussein and quite a lot of people have 'joined in' with those jokes because there's obviously controversay surrounding certain people..but if certain things were off limits as it were, then who would 'police' it, how could it be policed because humour is subjective to everyone and everyone creates their own personal boundaries of what they find humourous, which depends on a lot of things and like Shaun said, it can depend on things happening/happened in your own life as well..so that's where the on/off switch comes in..?..you create your own on/off switch....
Old 17-06-2013, 09:17 AM #20
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
on the subject!, joking about anything, it seems on here there are double standards on the matter of being gay or gay jokes, a gay guy can go ott with a joke to another gay guy on here but when someone like my self who has no hang up's about gay people has a joke with a gay member its seen as me having a dig at gays and I got infracted which lead to a ban!
just to add the person I was joking with knew I was joking.
I think that gays can take a gay joke much further than a hetero can. In the same way, I feel only Jews can joke about the Holocaust and only black people can use the N word. You've got to be grown up about stuff and think about your words. If people care going to claim the right of free speech, they have to understand that with rights come responsibilities.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 09:20 AM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I think that gays can take a gay joke much further than a hetero can. In the same way, I feel only Jews can joke about the Holocaust and only black people can use the N word. You've got to be grown up about stuff and think about your words. If people care going to claim the right of free speech, they have to understand that with rights come responsibilities.
well gays and disabled people have just as much right to joke about the holocaust since they were just as much victims as the jews were... but I agree with the sentiment of your post.

A rapist making a rape joke is not the same as a rape victim making a rape joke. Even if the joke is word for word exactly the same. It's just not the same.

I could not go up on a stage and do a chris rock stand up routine word for word as a white man. It's just not the same. It's hard to explain exactly why it's different, if it's the exact same words, but it is not the same.

It's kind of like photographs. the context that a photo is taken is important. You can see a beautiful picture of a sunset, there are millions of them out there. BUt a photograph of a sunset taken by some random stranger just trying to take a nice photograph is not the same as a photograph of a sunset taken by your grandfather the day before he died.

They just mean different things, even if they seem the same, look the same, they are still just different. It's the context.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-06-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:26 AM #22
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
well gays and disabled people have just as much right to joke about the holocaust since they were just as much victims as the jews were... but I agree with the sentiment of your post.
When people joke about the Holocaust it is usually at the expense of the Jews. If you Google for Holocaust humour, you're not going to find too many pictures of gays and disabled people being persecuted, starved and gassed. But let's not turn this into a competition to see who's the biggest victim.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:28 AM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
When people joke about the Holocaust it is usually at the expense of the Jews. If you Google for Holocaust humour, you're not going to find too many pictures of gays and disabled people being persecuted, starved and gassed. But let's not turn this into a competition to see who's the biggest victim.
In a way the fact that gays and disabled people are not mentioned in jokes about the holocaust is and of itself incredibly offensive.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:30 AM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
In a way the fact that gays and disabled people are not mentioned in jokes about the holocaust is and of itself incredibly offensive.
LOL... Shut up Alex.
Old 17-06-2013, 11:24 AM #25

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

I think it depends on who you are aiming the 'shock' humour towards. Most comedians get away with it because that is their humour, and the people viewing them will already be aware of the extents their humour goes to. So no one gets offended as such.

I used shock/dark/sarcastic humour a lot. Although I limit it depending who I'm around. I know with my closest friend I can easily tread into dark grounds with my humour, as we both share the same type of humour. But with other friends I wouldn't dare use the same humour as I know I will easily offend them.

People like to joke about their own 'groups' though. I had work experience last week with the NHS and a patient who was Chinese was told to "open your eyes wide for me please" and he replied with "I can't, I'm Chinese". I didn't know whether to laugh or not. :P
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
joke