Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 14-08-2013, 07:39 AM #1
Z

Z

Default Fear of telephone calls?

I think quite a few people are the same as me from what I can remember from other threads - I have this really irrational fear of the telephone. I don't know what it is about it, it just terrifies me to answer the phone or to make a phone call. Yet sometimes I'm totally fine with it - I think it's when I'm told "can you phone ___ in half an hour/___ will phone you in half an hour" that I start to panic about it, like pressure is building up... It's such a bizarre fear to have. In my last job (that I'm returning to next month) part of my job is to answer the phone and I'm totally fine with that because I'm expecting people to phone... but when I'm unexpectedly phoned or told to phone somewhere, it just sets me off into this sweaty nervous wreck! Anyone else?
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 07:53 AM #2

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Greg what's your mobile number? xoxo
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:32 AM #3
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I haven't any fear of receiving or making phone calls but I really dislike having to use them.

Obviously for friends and family it is a must at times but I would rather see the people I am talking to not just hear them.
I hate having to ring any official or business place now with all this press 1,press 3, press 2, press 1, farce that goes on.

I do then avoid the phone,landline and mobile as much as possible and have set times where I contact people I want to catch up with or for them to catch up with me.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 10:42 AM #4
Team Flack

Team Flack

SAME. And I hate that people don't get it, my brother takes the absolute piss out of for it, calling me pathetic for what not when he thinks he's all high and mighty because he can make phone calls or he can't use the washing machine or clean or cook or argh rant sorry.

There's a few people I don't mind talking to, like my parents or whatever but I hate hate hate having to ring the bank was something, I have to work up to it and even then I feel like I can't breathe properly. This one time my credit card got locked by accident and it took me three weeks to ring the bank to get it unlocked, least I saved some money.

I don't know what it is, I don't like not being able to see the person and thinking I'll get everything wrong and sound awkward, just urgh no. Can everything be done by e-mail please?
Old 14-08-2013, 10:48 AM #5
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
SAME. And I hate that people don't get it, my brother takes the absolute piss out of for it, calling me pathetic for what not when he thinks he's all high and mighty because he can make phone calls or he can't use the washing machine or clean or cook or argh rant sorry.

There's a few people I don't mind talking to, like my parents or whatever but I hate hate hate having to ring the bank was something, I have to work up to it and even then I feel like I can't breathe properly. This one time my credit card got locked by accident and it took me three weeks to ring the bank to get it unlocked, least I saved some money.

I don't know what it is, I don't like not being able to see the person and thinking I'll get everything wrong and sound awkward, just urgh no. Can everything be done by e-mail please?
Yeah you really feel like it's a massive deal and you get psyched out by it. I really hate people listening to me when I'm on the phone as well, like if I'm at work and get asked to call up a company to order something, I feel like a total idiot, my hands get all clammy and sweaty... and I hate when you get asked an unexpected question as well, totally throws you off and sends you into a panic. I hate not knowing who I am talking to and I get myself into such a state over it. If an unknown number calls my mobile I just watch it ring out; even if it's a friend (but not a close friend or family member) I just don't answer, wait and see if they leave a voicemail or text me what they were calling for and then I'll call them back. So terrified!
Old 14-08-2013, 10:54 AM #6
Team Flack

Team Flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Yeah you really feel like it's a massive deal and you get psyched out by it. I really hate people listening to me when I'm on the phone as well, like if I'm at work and get asked to call up a company to order something, I feel like a total idiot, my hands get all clammy and sweaty... and I hate when you get asked an unexpected question as well, totally throws you off and sends you into a panic. I hate not knowing who I am talking to and I get myself into such a state over it. If an unknown number calls my mobile I just watch it ring out; even if it's a friend (but not a close friend or family member) I just don't answer, wait and see if they leave a voicemail or text me what they were calling for and then I'll call them back. So terrified!
YES to ALL of that. I never ever answer a number I don't recognise, sure if it's that important they can leave a voicemail.
Old 14-08-2013, 10:58 AM #7

I kind of get it, I hate waiting for someone to call me, but then I dont know if thats just me worrying I will miss it.
I definitely do prefer me ringing someone I don't know rather than them ringing me.
LikeABoatOnWater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:00 AM #8
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):

I have worked in admin just about all my working life, only changing my career over the last couple of years to work in social care. Years ago I worked in a bank call centre and a lot of the time the customers would get quite nasty and irate with me. I stuck it 2 years in that job but eventually I had to leave because I began having panic attacks when I was going to work, obviously the job was far too stressful for me. Unfortunately that episode in my life has made me very phone shy so all the admin jobs I've had after that have had to have either no phone work or very minimal. I have a terrible fear also of not sounded professional on the phone in my work and my mind will go blank and I will go into a blind panic. I'm finding it hard to find admin jobs these days as most have phonework involved in the job hence me changing my career. Its quite ridiculous really because I'm like bloody busby on the phone at home and can talk for hours!

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:02 AM #9
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
YES to ALL of that. I never ever answer a number I don't recognise, sure if it's that important they can leave a voicemail.
I don't answer unrecognised numbers either, If they want me badly enough they will leave a message.

Me
Old 14-08-2013, 11:04 AM #10

Favourites (more):
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
BB14: Callum
BB13: Deana

I thought i would be, but when i got my first job in an office and i had to ring people constantly i realised i was pretty good at it.

Last edited by aman201; 14-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
aman201 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:07 AM #11
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm on the phone a lot at work and I'm fine with that, but I hate talking on the phone when it's not work-related. I chat to my brother for ages, but apart from that I don't really spend much time on the phone. It's not that I'm scared of it, I'm just one of those people who don't spend ages chatting on the phone. Which is just as well right now because my home phone line/Broadband has been down for over a week... Grrrrr....
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 11:18 AM #12

Pretty much the same as Livia - I am on the phone a lot at work and am quite comfortable making or receiving calls but when I get home I avoid it where possible as I am quite literally often talked out. It drives my parents insane as when I lived at home I was never off the phone and cost them a fortune, now I have to pay the bills I avoid it like the plague!!
Old 14-08-2013, 11:19 AM #13
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm on the phone a lot at work and I'm fine with that, but I hate talking on the phone when it's not work-related. I chat to my brother for ages, but apart from that I don't really spend much time on the phone. It's not that I'm scared of it, I'm just one of those people who don't spend ages chatting on the phone. Which is just as well right now because my home phone line/Broadband has been down for over a week... Grrrrr....
heck, I'd go crazy if my broadband when down, whatever did I do before the internet!

Me
Old 14-08-2013, 11:24 AM #14
Team Flack

Team Flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I have worked in admin just about all my working life, only changing my career over the last couple of years to work in social care. Years ago I worked in a bank call centre and a lot of the time the customers would get quite nasty and irate with me. I stuck it 2 years in that job but eventually I had to leave because I began having panic attacks when I was going to work, obviously the job was far too stressful for me. Unfortunately that episode in my life has made me very phone shy so all the admin jobs I've had after that have had to have either no phone work or very minimal. I have a terrible fear also of not sounded professional on the phone in my work and my mind will go blank and I will go into a blind panic. I'm finding it hard to find admin jobs these days as most have phonework involved in the job hence me changing my career. Its quite ridiculous really because I'm like bloody busby on the phone at home and can talk for hours!
It's different talking to people when you can see them though and people yelling at you on the phone so that's understandable. People find it funny with me because I've gone up to celebrities and had full blown conversations with them but I can't ring the bank but it's just different.
Old 14-08-2013, 11:24 AM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
heck, I'd go crazy if my broadband when down, whatever did I do before the internet!
I AM going crazy! It's been off since last Tuesday and they say it won't be back until at least 20th. Even barking at the Chief Executive's office hasn't helped. I'm 100 miles from one of the world's busiest capitals in an age of instant electronic transfer... and I have to live without Broadband for a fortnight because BT are inept.

Sigh...
Old 14-08-2013, 12:38 PM #16
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I'm so tempted to phone you right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 12:38 PM #17
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

also where was this fear that ONE TIME AT 4AM ONE MORNING YOU DRUNK HEIFER

Quote:

Old 14-08-2013, 12:42 PM #18
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
also where was this fear that ONE TIME AT 4AM ONE MORNING YOU DRUNK HEIFER
I don't mind phoning friends AND IT WAS YOUR BIRTHDAY and it was like midnight SHUT UP
Old 14-08-2013, 12:43 PM #19
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

no I think this was another time (I don't remember it being my birthday)

Quote:

Old 14-08-2013, 12:48 PM #20
Z

Z

I don't remember any other time
Old 14-08-2013, 12:57 PM #21

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Yeah, I hate phone calls too. Phoning my friends, take out places or student finance, for example - all unpleasant experiences. I don't think it's a confidence thing either because I'm absolutely fine in any other situation.

I think it's the combination of being put on the spot without being able to react to anything other than their voice. But then talking on Skype makes me nervous too
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 01:04 PM #22
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel. View Post
Yeah, I hate phone calls too. Phoning my friends, take out places or student finance, for example - all unpleasant experiences. I don't think it's a confidence thing either because I'm absolutely fine in any other situation.

I think it's the combination of being put on the spot without being able to react to anything other than their voice. But then talking on Skype makes me nervous too
Takeaways are the worst! I can only order them online or if it has to be done by phone, a friend has to do it.
Old 14-08-2013, 01:19 PM #23
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Hey Zee...
Old 14-08-2013, 01:40 PM #24
Z

Z

No Livia. I don't accept.
Old 14-08-2013, 01:42 PM #25
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I don't like it when Livia uses emoticons. Cheapens her.

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
calls, fear, telephone