Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM #1

Default BBC unveils next-gen iPlayer

The BBC has unveiled details of its next-generation iPlayer.

The corporation confirmed plans to transition the video-on-demand service from a broadcast TV catch-up service to "the BBC's primary digital entertainment destination".

BBC Director-General Tony Hall said: "The new generation of BBC iPlayer is set to transform our relationship with audiences.

"In the coming years, for many people BBC iPlayer is going to be the front door to our programming, and the experience they have is going to be a world away from that of a traditional 'one to many' broadcaster."

He added: "It will be a relationship where we provide our audiences with what they want, when and how they want it.

"And crucially through enhanced interactivity, they will also be able to tell us what they think of these programmes and services too.

"That conversation excites me hugely as it means our audiences won't just receive the programmes we make, they will contribute to how we make them as well."

The BBC's "new vision" for the iPlayer focuses on three main areas, namely a greater range of content, new ways of watching BBC TV shows and innovative new features.

It pledged to experiment with pop-up channels around key events and festivals, online channels, more exclusive content (based on the BBC Three comedy pilot successes) and the ability to personalise an evening schedule.

Other areas of experimentation include an increased watching window from 7 to 30 days, the ability to pause on one TV and resume on another, more relevant and personalised recommendations, and specially-made spin-off online programming for shows like EastEnders, Doctor Who and Strictly Come Dancing, as well as themed archive collections.

Director of BBC Television Danny Cohen said: "From new programming exclusive to BBC iPlayer, to new online and pop-up channels around special interests or major events, BBC iPlayer will be bursting with more content than ever.

"We want to allow viewers to make the choices about what they watch and when. Over time, more and more of our programmes will be available to watch on BBC iPlayer before they are broadcast on TV, allowing viewers to create their own evening schedule.

"And, programmes will be available for longer - increasing the catch-up window from 7 to 30 days. All this will make BBC iPlayer the ultimate destination for TV fans for years to come."

Director of BBC Future Media Ralph Rivera added: "BBC iPlayer is one of the BBC's greatest inventions and one of the UK's favourite brands.

"We plan to revolutionise iPlayer from a service primarily used to catch up on BBC TV to an entertainment destination for all - wherever you are.

"With innovative interactive features and a new design that helps you discover more hidden gems from the BBC, iPlayer will transform online TV for audiences now and in the future."

Digital Spy

This is the way forward and I hope other broadcasters like Sky will follow.
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM #2
Pay Yo Pussy Bill

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Pay Yo Pussy Bill

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan

They had better not start charging...

CBB19: Kim Woodburn | Nicola McLean | Jessica Cunningham | Speidi
Joelle. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM #3
User banned

User banned

I don't like this idea, it's better to watch a programme when everyone else is watching
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bbc, iplayer, nextgen, unveils