Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM #1
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Default Heroes

This was inspired by the discussion of people knowing the names of terrorists that attacked the World Trade Centre.

What I believe we don't do enough in this country is celebrate the selfless acts of everyday people that go to extreme lengths (often death) in order to protect other people from harm. I'm talking about the people like that lad who was stabbed protecting two lasses from a gang in a nightclub or the poor copper who lost his life holding a bridge to stop people going on it during the floods.

I feel terrible that I don't know these people's names. I feel more should be done to venerate the names of people who commit lofty acts of courage.

I love how we have a remembrance every year for the people that died protecting freedom during the Great War and World War II but it seems like everyone else is forgotten.

They never taught me in school about the H.M.S Birkenhead, a ship that sunk at rocks in South Africa where the Royal Marines stood to quarter on deck so that the women and children could escape without the life boats being capsized. Most of the Royal Marines were eaten by sharks but every woman and child made it to shore. (This is Where the British notion of women and children first come from).

Do you think these people all deserve more?
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
heroes