Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: should M&S have the right to refuse any legal sale ?
yes 2 28.57%
yes
2 28.57%
no 5 71.43%
no
5 71.43%
the uk should only stock hala meat 0 0%
the uk should only stock hala meat
0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-12-2013, 11:04 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
Yawn.
Exactly.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:28 PM #27
User banned

User banned

woah u sure got me there
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:34 PM #28

Quote:
woah u sure got me there
In English?
Old 22-12-2013, 11:36 PM #29
User banned

User banned

I dunno why you're even baiting me for no reason. Probably because I made you realise how foolish you were being in regards to the story

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 22-12-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:38 PM #30

Quote:
I dunno why you're even baiting me for no reason. Probably because I made you realise how foolish you were being in regards to the story
You didn't point out anything in regards to my response.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:43 PM #31
User banned

User banned

k
Old 22-12-2013, 11:46 PM #32
User banned

User banned

You wrote "how do people live with such petty worries" and I clearly made you look dumb after pointing out it isn't an issue at all in Islam and it's the fault of the store, so now you're fuming instead of like a mature adult accepting what you said was inaccurate you started to target me for no reason at all.

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 22-12-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 11:51 PM #33

Quote:
You wrote "how do people live with such petty worries" and I clearly made you look dumb after pointing out it isn't an issue at all in Islam and it's the fault of the store, so now you're fuming instead of like a mature adult accepting what you said was inaccurate you started to target me for no reason at all.
Except, Sir Salman, where did I direct that comment towards Islam? If you would engage your brain, I was referring to these specific people refusing to serve certain products.

My first comment to you was a joke because you do tend to run your mouth off. Hence my "irony" comment.

Target you? You can give sarcy comments but can't take them. And now we're back to irony...

Last edited by Marsh.; 22-12-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:18 AM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I live a stones throw from Bradford, if the muslim population didn't sell alcohol in their shops they would go out of business in about 6hrs!
I don't know how or why this is being enforced.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:11 AM #35
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

There is a problem because people are there to do a job, and religion shouldn't come into the workplace. Otherwise we would have people of every religion making excuses to get out of doing stuff. If you dont like your job, get a new one that doesn't involve doing things that mortally offend you.
All you're saying is "do something you find morally wrong or be jobless."
All M&S is saying is "If you're morally offending an employee, you may have to wait an extra 5 minutes to be served"

Honestly, you're upset because inconsiderate arseholes MAY have to wait an extra 5 minutes to be served.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:31 AM #36
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

This is stupid, and if M and S are enforcing this then they shouldn't stock the items. It's ridiculous. Walking and getting some bacon that you want for breakfast, and some bubbly for Xmas, and you get to the till and they don't let you. Seems like a pretty ludicrous thing to be doing. If M&S don't want my money they can sod off.

Last edited by T*; 23-12-2013 at 09:32 AM.
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:05 AM #37
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withasnow View Post
All M&S is saying is "If you're morally offending an employee, you may have to wait an extra 5 minutes to be served"

Honestly, you're upset because inconsiderate arseholes MAY have to wait an extra 5 minutes to be served.
Honestly, wut?? Someone is being an "inconsiderate arsehole" who is "offending an employee", by asking them to sell them a product that is on sale in the shop that they work in? This is actually, properly, mental.

How is it inconsiderate? How are you supposed to know that a staff member is a Muslim before going to the till? Are you supposed to just assume they are because of how they look? Because that's racial profiling and something that, surely, we want to steer away from making common practice. I want to look at a person and say "that's a person" - not "that's probably a Muslim because... he just looks like one". Is this how we're supposed to live our day to day lives? A never-ending stream of assumptions?

I used to work with a middle-eastern guy (or rather, I should say, a guy of middle eastern origins... he's British born)... he's probably around 45 (I think this is relevant because people are less likely to assume that younger people are religious). His name is Ahmed.

He's a life-long atheist.

If he worked in M&S and people were avoiding him because he's "probably one of them Muslims and won't sell me any bacon" he'd probably be quite offended. Well, he would probably find it ridiculous / funny too, but there would surely be some offense taken too.

A customer avoiding an empty checkout because the cashier "may" be Muslim to queue for 5 minutes at another checkout - because the cashier is white British - makes them much more of an "inconsiderate asshole", in my opinion. In fact it's basically racism. Just because it's racism with the best of intentions, doesn't make it any less racist.

A final thought: there are also white Muslims. Shocking, I know.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:40 AM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Angel View Post
I live a stones throw from Bradford, if the muslim population didn't sell alcohol in their shops they would go out of business in about 6hrs!
I don't know how or why this is being enforced.

M&S has said sorry
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:43 AM #39

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I really really doubt most of the Muslim workers in M&S give a crap about handling the packaging of pork products or alcohol.
Exactly, which is the worst thing about this. All it does now is raise the tensions that some people have against Muslim people in general in the UK which is a huge shame. There really isn't any need for this.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 11:54 AM #40
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Inconsiderate arseholes...who just want to be sold a product that the shop sells?

****ing hell.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 12:08 PM #41
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Inconsiderate arseholes...who just want to be sold a product that the shop sells?

****ing hell.
Yes.. I'm not sure about every M&S but there are two of them in my town. One with at least 20 tills, the other with at least 30.. I think it would take a special kind of **** to see all these tills before purchasing their goods and asking one of the few employees who may be offended by it to serve them instead of the vast majority of employees who wouldn't blink an eye.

It would be like buying a dildo and asking a nun to serve you instead of the man sat beside her in a leather gimp suit. It would only be a problem for the inconsiderate arseholes.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:15 PM #42
Z

Z

Quote:
Yes.. I'm not sure about every M&S but there are two of them in my town. One with at least 20 tills, the other with at least 30.. I think it would take a special kind of **** to see all these tills before purchasing their goods and asking one of the few employees who may be offended by it to serve them instead of the vast majority of employees who wouldn't blink an eye.

It would be like buying a dildo and asking a nun to serve you instead of the man sat beside her in a leather gimp suit. It would only be a problem for the inconsiderate arseholes.
I appreciate the point you're making, but I whole heartedly disagree. This policy is just encouraging people to avoid going to the till of anyone they think might be Muslim if they're trying to buy pork or alcohol. Not only is that racial profiling, but it's encouraging anti-Muslim attitudes that exist in the UK because of PC pandering policies that most Muslim people would never have dreamed of asking for because they aren't sensitive or precious about their religion and culture. It's up there with renaming Christmas to avoid offending anyone who isn't Christian. I'm not a Christian but I call it Christmas, celebrate it and enjoy it because I live in the UK and it's one of our staple holidays. Plenty of other people do the same. This is just one of those poorly thought out ideas that's supposed to benefit a minority group but actually just makes things worse for them. Most Muslims wouldn't have a problem with selling a product that M&S sells - because it's in their job description.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 12:38 PM #43
for those who've fallen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Hazel
BB13: Deana
for those who've fallen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Hazel
BB13: Deana

zees right
Apple202 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 12:42 PM #44

"Most Muslims wouldn't have a problem with selling a product that M&S sells - because it's in their job description."

Yes its just a few
that have got M&S on every news headline
Photos of M&S free ads
so all good in the end
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 12:48 PM #45
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The baby Zeesus View Post
I appreciate the point you're making, but I whole heartedly disagree. This policy is just encouraging people to avoid going to the till of anyone they think might be Muslim if they're trying to buy pork or alcohol. Not only is that racial profiling, but it's encouraging anti-Muslim attitudes that exist in the UK because of PC pandering policies that most Muslim people would never have dreamed of asking for because they aren't sensitive or precious about their religion and culture. It's up there with renaming Christmas to avoid offending anyone who isn't Christian. I'm not a Christian but I call it Christmas, celebrate it and enjoy it because I live in the UK and it's one of our staple holidays. Plenty of other people do the same. This is just one of those poorly thought out ideas that's supposed to benefit a minority group but actually just makes things worse for them. Most Muslims wouldn't have a problem with selling a product that M&S sells - because it's in their job description.
My only point was that it wouldn't make the buyer any less of an inconsiderate douche regardless of the policy or shop. Hence this whole story is only a problem for inconsiderate arseholes.
Old 23-12-2013, 01:20 PM #46
0_o

0_o

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-9020982.html

Nevermind, M&S had backtracked and apologized for this ridiculous decision
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 23-12-2013, 01:22 PM #47
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I think the inconsiderate arsehole is the one taking the job in a shop selling alcohol, then refusing to sell do that job. If it's against your beliefs, go and work somewhere else.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 01:25 PM #48

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

I have never been refused either of these by a muslim nor Do I know anyone that has.I really don't see how some people seem(not here, although the post that says civil war is coming gave me a good chuckle)to be becoming outraged over this,If I want to buy alcohol in a supermarket and there is a sign overhead saying that alcohol cannot be served at that checkout I don't join that Q.Again though I don't know any nor have heard of any muslim refusing to sell pork or alcohol
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 01:25 PM #49
0_o

0_o

Quote:

Not really, as I seriously doubt many Muslims besides possibly one or two have a problem with handling alcohol/pork that is packaged. Plus I wouldnt expect a nun to be working somewhere that sells dildos tbh, but if she did, then I would expect her to sell them

It wouldn't be a problem if you knew beforehand who wouldnt serve you (but then we have the problem of people judging all Muslims based on this..when most wouldnt have a problem at all) but it would be a problem if you had waited in a long queue and were then told to wait in another, as you hadnt realised the server was Muslim. Unless they start wearing signs round their necks or something so the inconsiderate arseholes could avoid them, would that please you
Quote:
Quote:
Old 23-12-2013, 01:33 PM #50

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Arrow

Once you've done your shopping you just want to get it paid for and go home. The idea that you have to hang around for a couple of minutes first scanning all of the tills and trying to figure out which worker is Muslim and which isn't just because you want to buy a pork or alcohol product is totally beyond ridiculous. If handling the packaging of these products goes so strongly against your beliefs and you really cannot bring yourself to do it then don't work in a supermarket where you'll be expected to regularly do so.

Thankfully most Muslim workers would not have a problem with this and it's a shame that this has gone so public because, like I said in a previous post, it's only further encouraging the anti-Muslim attitudes that some people in this country have.

Last edited by RichardG; 23-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
apparently, mands, people, products, refuse, sale, serve, staff