Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-01-2014, 10:36 AM #26
-

-

I (unfortunately, wish I could forget it) saw a video a while ago of the aftermath of a motorbike accident. A man and a woman on the bike, the man was OK but the woman was clearly badly hurt. He was crouched over her screaming for help, and there was a crowd of 20 or 30 people around them with their phones out filming it (one of them being that very video, I suppose). It was utterly sickening. I have no idea what's wrong with people these days. You can't even blame it on growing up with tech / youths these days - half of the people filming were in their 50s or older.

It's not even just the filming, so much as the fact that NO ONE, not one of them, tried to help or comfort the clearly very distressed man.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:40 AM #27
Z

Z

My dad went on a date once with a woman and on their way home they saw a motorbike accident and he said the two people on the motorbike exploded like bin bags falling from a height... nasty
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:47 AM #28
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
My dad went on a date once with a woman and on their way home they saw a motorbike accident and he said the two people on the motorbike exploded like bin bags falling from a height... nasty
..jeez, that must have haunted him for a long time...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:56 AM #29
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I have fortunately never witnessed such a thing in real life. I've witnessed minor traffic accidents happening two or three times. I've always stopped my car back a bit with the hazard lights on to slow the traffic coming up to the scene, then I've went to help. I don't know first aid, but even just comforting people, talking to them and keeping them calm can help. I've given people my phone to use to call someone and I've obviously called 999 if nobody has called already. But I have never, and would never take pictures or videos.
Old 22-01-2014, 12:04 PM #30
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..jeez, that must have haunted him for a long time...
Yeah he's mentioned it to me only once but he went into a lot of detail, it happened before he met my mum and it's very rare for him to talk about life before he was with her around us... think he was constantly reminded of it because the woman he went on a date with married another guy and they had a son who was 2 years older than me and a daughter 1 year younger than me and we went to the same primary school so he still saw her around and then she sadly passed away from cancer a few years ago and her daughter works in the pub my dad goes to so I think he's always reminded of it... I've thankfully never seen anyone die in an accident before, not sure how I'd react if I did... I like to think I'd try and help if it were at all possible to help but what can you do if it's a really bad crash? Call the police and an ambulance...
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 10:55 PM #31
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Yeah, that's pretty much it.. call for help.. maybe block the road a bit with your car.. talk to people while you wait for the ambulance.. There's a limit to what non-medical people can do to help. Sometimes it's more important to know the things 'not' to do.. like moving people, or taking crash helmets off etc..

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brazilian, cyclist, dead, drove, miles, motorist, sticking, wind