Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM #26
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
i purposefully haven't watched it yet, but it sounds like i will be impressed when i do.

I'm scared to watch it though, i don't like watching things that are specifically "gay"... it feels like i SHOULD watch it just because i'm gay... and i hate doing something just because i'm expected to because i'm gay/

I'm gonna watch it though, eventually.
Im not gay and I dont like this bloke labelling everyone the same either. i.e. he calls everyone a bigot (homophobe) as if all hetro people think the same? ridiculous., everyone is different
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:07 PM #27
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I listened to this the other day..his speech was really powerful and I found it quite emotional when he talked about standing at the pedestrian crossing and how he felt that he somehow had to change himself to not 'stand out' when he had spent his life struggling to be himself and then was abused for being himself and he's right, because how oppressive it must feel (no matter how well meaning..) to have people constantly talking about what rights you should be allowed just because of your sexuality because those rights are rights as a human being and should be the same as every other human being..a really inspirational guy and a very powerful and emotional speech...
eh? gay people have the same rights in europe as anyone else? what rights are you referring too?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM #28
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You shouldn't use the excuse of 'oh suck it up, other places have it worse' to not do anything about it, discrimination and oppression of a drag queen at a crossing is still discrimination and oppression. We can't personally change the situations that arise in Russia or the Middle East or Africa but we can change things in our own country.

You are exactly the kind of person he was talking about.
ps youve been reported for making a personal attack

yes we should change and stop people like this call other people he doesnt know homophobes, that is blatant discrimination which we must fight. meanwhile lets concentrate less on this self pity and more on the 10000s of people who are really abused in hospitals, care homes across this nation ...leading to death not mere hurt feelings at traffic lights....lets not forget too the people with far far far far greater srtuggles than this chap at traffic lights, the sick, the sying, the severerely physically and mentally disabled, the old and sick dying from the freeze and the abused ignored and abandoned in some nhs wards. lets prioritise eh?
Old 21-02-2014, 05:11 PM #29
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Presenter Graham Norton has called Irish broadcaster RTE's decision to pay opponents of gay marriage an 85,000 euros settlement "absolutely moronic".

It came after Catholic lobby group the Iona Institute and two prominent Irish journalists threatened legal action after being described as homophobic on an episode of the Saturday Night Show.

Norton told Irish magazine Hot Press he was "furious" about RTE's decision.

He also said gay marriage opponents were "out of touch" with new Ireland.

"I'm not registered to vote in Ireland but I do pay the licence fee there," said Norton, adding that he was "furious that some of my money has gone to these idiots".

"RTE settling wasn't gutless, it was absolutely moronic," he said.

Irish female impersonator Panti Bliss had singled out four members of right-wing group the Iona Institute and two Irish newspaper columnists during a programme last month, saying they were "horrible and mean about gays".

The Iona officials and journalists John Waters and Breda O'Brien, who are all vocally opposed to gay marriage, claimed they had been defamed and threatened to sue the broadcaster.

The broadcaster has defended its decision to settle out of court.

In his Hot Press cover interview Norton said he was disappointed that the journalists had decided to take legal action instead of examining why they might be accused of homophobia.

Although he said he has no desire to get married himself, Norton added: "I want to ask these people, 'Why are you so scared and intimidated by the idea of gay marriage?'"

Norton said attitudes had changed a lot since he was growing up gay in west Cork, and spending his summers there in recent years, he had found it was "such a different place".

"It takes pride in accepting all types of people. There's more than 40 shades of green," said Norton.

He added: "This tiny minority can yell all they want, but it's over. It's all done. The Iona Institute, and people like that, are like rats trapped in the corner of a barn. They know the jig is up. That's why they're screaming so loud."

However, he added that he was glad gay marriage opponents existed as "they drag everyone towards the centre".

"You hear their opinions and suddenly you're a little bit more tolerant - because you don't want to be them!"

Norton also took to Twitter yesterday after reports of his comments appeared in the Irish press.

He wrote: "Various Irish papers quoting me as saying RTE payout was gutless. I actually said the opposite. Not gutless. It was moronic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 05:13 PM #30
Z

Z

Graham
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 06:25 PM #31
You know my methods

You know my methods

Panti Bliss sounds like what Arista should have been called
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 11:54 AM #32
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

Graham nortons a massive bellend though...commenting on Ireland? ?? **** off pkease.
Old 23-02-2014, 03:17 PM #33
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

Excellent speech. I'm blown away.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags