Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:05 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default Nottingham pub forced to cancel 'bag a slag' Valentine's night speed dating evening..

A pub has been forced to cancel its alternative speed dating event this Valentine's Day after its poster was branded inappropriate.

The Old Angel Inn in Nottingham used a poster with the slogan "bag a slag, grab a hag" to promote its event.

It has caused controversy after several people complained about the content.

The city council's licensing department said the landlord had breached a part of the pub's licence which states it must not use inappropriate promotions.

Ruth Greenburg, from the Nottingham Feminist Action Network, said the use of the word slag was offensive and derogatory to women.

"This is beyond the fun barrier. It is a very negative, sexist image of women," she added.

"Is that all women are - slags and hags?

"What self-respecting woman is going to go along to a speed dating event that sells itself to men in that way?"

'Empowering' women

As part of the promotion women attending the event were also being offered free shots.

In a statement the pub said its regular customers for whom the event was intended would have understood the "spirit of the flyer" and "viewed it in good humour".

Poster designer and barmaid at the pub, Lydia Hunt said she felt the word was "empowering" to women.

"The Old Angel is seen as an alternative pub so we were trying to throw the gauntlet down and say to single women don't stay indoors and cower away this Valentine's Day, come to our event

"It was just to have a laugh and grab attention. I'm not saying women are either slags or hags, but I think it is an empowerment thing."

She said the free shots were to encourage women to attend as research showed speed dating was more popular with men.

A spokesman for Nottingham City Council's licensing department they had investigated after receiving complaints about the poster.

He said officers had visited the landlord and "reminded him of his responsibility" adding: "We felt this wasn't an appropriate promotion and as a result spoke to them and they eventually agreed and removed the posters and cancelled the event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-26066153

..just a 'catchy' way to advertise the event or offensive..?...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM #2
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
In a statement the pub said its regular customers for whom the event was intended would have understood the "spirit of the flyer" and "viewed it in good humour"
I think this is the key, and if you were aware of the 'in joke' then it's fine. I doubt any malice or derision was intended at all by the landlords, they probably feel mortified now. I think, as a woman, that I could certainly find better things to complain about in terms of being 'disempowered'. It was clearly a joke. If I saw it I'd laugh. I might be a bit.... Hmmm that's gonna raise eyebrows but I think I'd know it wasn't meant seriously.

These militant feminists aren't really helping promote their own cause doing stuff like this. To reiterate, there are far more salient things they could and should be protesting against than this. Smh.

What do you all think?

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 AM #3
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kate* View Post
I think this is the key, and if you were aware of the 'in joke' then it's fine. I doubt any malice or derision was intended at all by the landlords, they probably feel mortified now. I think, as a woman, that I could certainly find better things to complain about in terms of being 'disempowered'. It was clearly a joke. If I saw it I'd laugh. I might be a bit.... Hmmm that's gonna raise eyebrows but I think I'd know it wasn't meant seriously.

These militant feminists aren't really helping promote their own cause doing stuff like this. To reiterate, there are far more salient things they could and should be protesting against than this. Smh.

What do you all think?
..hmm, I don't know, it is a bit of a tricky one and I do think that 'feminists' often don't do either themselves or any female any positive sometimes because they pick at everything and are often quite extreme

..but I guess for me personally, I have an absolute hatred for the term 'slag' and unfortunately it's so often used and quite often by other females as well/I don't understand why they do that to fellow females..if they don't like them, then just say ugggh, she's horrid..I find it extremely derogatory and offensive and if I were single and thinking of going on that speed dating evening, I think I would change my mind with the poster and promoting of it...but then it's all just a personal thing and a personal dislike of the term, maybe because I don't mind 'jokes' like, oh go make the tea, dear/woman's work etc..?..

Last edited by Ammi; 09-02-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 AM #4
nope

nope

How utterly charming
Natalie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 AM #5

Slags in Nottingham now have nowhere to go on Valentine's day how sad.

Last edited by lostalex; 09-02-2014 at 07:07 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 AM #6
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

I'm getting so bored of this feminism crap now. They harp on about objectifying women in certain ways but men get just as objectified (Torso of the week for example in heat) yet they seem to never mention that. These feminists need learn that not every woman wants to be a sad old bitch like them.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Last edited by Benjamin; 09-02-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 AM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Part of me thinks this was probably meant in a harmless jokey way, but in today's PC world terms like slag and hag being used in advertising posters is going to draw criticism from various groups.

Not exactly painting a good picture of this event either , what bloke wants to bag a slag or hag...???

On second thoughts who am I kidding ... The place will probably be full to overflowing with young drunk men all looking for easy pickings....
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Who was the brains behind that not so brilliant marketing campaign.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM #9

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I'm getting so bored of this feminism crap now. They harp on about objectifying women in certain ways but men get just as objectified (Torso of the week for example in heat) yet they seem to never mention that. These feminists need learn that not every woman wants to be a sad old bitch like them.
Not an untypical male perspective - just predictable - which is exactly why feminism came to be.

Blatant attempts to ridicule and intimidate women who believe in male/female equality ie sad old bitch is what is really sad - and extremely manipulative.

And you think feminism is boring!
sassysocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM #11

-cancels Friday night out to Nottingham-
Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM #12

Grab a Hag

Thats Crude

[Barmaid Lydia Hunt said the poster was not intended to cause offence]

Last edited by arista; 09-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM #13

Quote:

What do you all think?
I think that if certain words with such equally strong derogatory racial undertones were being banded about on posters and the authors were claiming it was just an 'in joke' you would be taking a different stance. Simply put - double standards. Women need to have a higher opinon of themselves.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM #14
IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):

IntoxiKated

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysocks View Post
Not an untypical male perspective - just predictable - which is exactly why feminism came to be.

Blatant attempts to ridicule and intimidate women who believe in male/female equality ie sad old bitch is what is really sad - and extremely manipulative.

And you think feminism is boring!
Well no, cos in this instance it wasn't (at all) a 'blatant attempt to ridicule and intimidate women' and I'm quite sure, as I mentioned previously, that the promoters of the event are mortified and wish they had taken a different approach. It was meant as a joke. Unfortunately for them they used the word slag which I agree is a very unpleasant term, but they've explained that their customers would take that as humour, and we all have differing senses of humour and they know their clientele best, so I don't think it should be made into this massive issue.

To reiterate, feminism is good yes, but there are far far more serious issues to devote time and energy to than the likes of this surely? That'd be a yes from me.

Kate! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well no, cos in this instance it wasn't (at all) a 'blatant attempt to ridicule and intimidate women' and I'm quite sure, as I mentioned previously, that the promoters of the event are mortified and wish they had taken a different approach. It was meant as a joke. Unfortunately for them they used the word slag which I agree is a very unpleasant term, but they've explained that their customers would take that as humour, and we all have differing senses of humour and they know their clientele best, so I don't think it should be made into this massive issue.

To reiterate, feminism is good yes, but there are far far more serious issues to devote time and energy to than the likes of this surely? That'd be a yes from me.
I expect as they went to the trouble of having posters printed they hoped to bring in new custom as well as retaining the old though

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 09-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 AM #16

Quote:

We will have to agree to disagree on this. Personally I see nothing to suggest the promoters are 'mortified' at how it comes across. They would have to be pretty stupid if they couldn't see that. Much sexism, racism, homaphobia etc gets hidden behind so-called jokes - it is the oldest cop-out in the book,they didn't even have the intelligence to attempt to be original with their excuses.

As for their customers, I have no doubt that many of male customers would take it as humour, but I wonder if the female ones, in all honesty, would agree. The negative use of the word 'feminist' ie sad old bitches, as used in this very thread, to undermine the true meaning of the word often affects many women and their willingness to express their true feelings for fear of being labelled as some kind of raving, ugly old dyke. It is just immature name-calling, but has very malicious undertones and unfortunately affects how many women respond to such situations.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 AM #17

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

What on earth is the "die die my darling" all about?

The whole poster is utter garbage.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 AM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
What on earth is the "die die my darling" all about?

The whole poster is utter garbage.

Yes one of a kind
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM #19
Z

Z

This reminds me of the current display in the Agent Provocateur shop that is near where I live - it says "make love not dinner" and I looked at it and thought, yes that's obviously a joke but isn't that enforcing negative stereotypes about women? Buy sexy underwear and have sex instead of making dinner for your other half... that's not a very pro feminist advertising campaign; but I bet that would never make the papers because women taking other women to task seems to be taboo within feminism when it's just as rife between other women as it is between men and women. It's the same as that Panti Bliss homophobia topic tbh; you can be a part of a victimised group and still be guilty of doing it yourself.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM #20
-

-

Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM #21
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

If they had done a jokey one for the blokes like 'bag a b**tard, grab a slob'?
That would have been fair...
Old 09-02-2014, 12:41 PM #22
Z

Z

"Pick a dick, trick a prick"
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:42 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
If they had done a jokey one for the blokes like 'bag a b**tard, grab a slob'?
That would have been fair...
free shots for all men with a big hairy belly!

In the age of metrosexuals, it's not a bad idea!

Last edited by lostalex; 09-02-2014 at 12:43 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yep, and they've cancelled the whole thing rather than amend the poster it seems
I'm guessing due to this that place will be rammed with slags and pricks on valentines day
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM #25
0_o

0_o

Good god, clearly a joke.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bag, cancel, dating, evening, forced, night, nottingham, pub, slag, speed, valentine