Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:26 PM #1

Favourites:
BB16: Sarah

Favourites:

Default Serious answers needed to possible serious problem.

Long winded but responses would be greatly appreciated.

This is a bit personal so a bit cringe but I need to talk and tibb are like family (****ing love some and ****ing hate some) but all give good opinons.

As you know I went for an operation 2 weeks back and everything was fine, 2 days ago I became light headed and feverish my clinic advised me to go to A&E.

I didn't go because I felt I was over reacting which is our usual British attitude.

Today I woke up with severe pins and needles in my limbs and pain in my calf but thought just get on with it. Went to the shops and almost passed out in Tescos rushed home white as a sheet and just collapsed to the bed head and legs pulsing like mad.

I finally gave in and booked a taxi for a&e, when I got there I told all my symptoms and told the doctor I have had recent surgery as obviously there is a risk of blood clotting when annasthetic is used.

She sent in a student nurse (GREAT) who took 5 attempts to draw blood from my fingers for some sugar test and jokingly said my hands were freezing which filled me with confidence. Blood pressure done which had gone from 93 to 100 which I assume is normal.

The supposed real nurse comes back wont acknowledge anything I told her about nausa, fainting pain in limbs and said we are the NHS you had this done privately I cant help you and showed me the door.

Got home, fainted again but am now screwed because ive already been there, what have my taxes been paying for? It was the NHS who told me to go private because of waiting lists aswell.

So anyway here I am feeling like a dick and worrying that im gonna end up in the tibb remembrance thread in the sky.

Opinions?

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 11-03-2014 at 08:28 PM.
daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 PM #2
0_o

0_o

I dont understand why the NHS wont treat you...even if the op was done privately the NHS still have a duty of care surely? :S
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM #3
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

wth? that is stupid! have you consulted your gp recently? would it be helpful to go to a local walk in clinic to see what they can do if urgent now or you can go to your gp tomorrow?

I don't think it is anything immediately serious (I don't know how painful all the symptoms are ofc)

You could always try an online diagnostic if you are extremely worried

Last edited by Pete.; 11-03-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Pete. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM #4
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:

I agree with Vicky.. My sister just had surgery privately and like you, suspected a blood clot.. She phoned NHS24 and they told her to go directly to A&E where she was checked immediately.
I'd phone your GP in the morning or NHS24 tonight even.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM #5
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I hope you have the name of the nurse... although that will be on your record. I'd contact my GP in the morning and tell him/her what's happened. I'm sure you'll get some reassurance and a referral. It's disgraceful you weren't dealt with properly and once you're feeling better you need to make a fuss. Contact the hospital's management and your MP.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Livia; 11-03-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I dont understand why the NHS wont treat you...even if the op was done privately the NHS still have a duty of care surely? :S
I was shocked and it was even like she begrudged treating me like I thought going private was demeaning her or some ****. She had a very bad attitude when all I wanted was some reassurance.

All these symptoms are warning signs to look out for after surgery and to just get a student in for 10 minutes and show me the door was not only embaressing but left me even more worried.

Just got off the phone to NHS direct or whoever they are and they told me to buy some deep thrombosis sock thingys which are used to reduce the risk of clots which is exactly what I was fearing.

This nurse didn't think of that nor offer me any of those precautionary garments.

What a state of a health system, last time I was n they couldn't even provide me with a pillow for the night.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM #7
0_o

0_o

Honestly, if I was in your situation I would go back to A+E and threaten to die in their waiting room. I see no reason for them to not treat you, at all. And as far as I know private surgeries dont have A+Es anyway, you have to get appointments? It could be serious...
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:37 PM #8
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

I think you should go to A&E. What if you get worse? I wouldn't take any chances.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee. View Post
I agree with Vicky.. My sister just had surgery privately and like you, suspected a blood clot.. She phoned NHS24 and they told her to go directly to A&E where she was checked immediately.
I'd phone your GP in the morning or NHS24 tonight even.
So they knew the seriousness of the situation and she was seen and properly examened?

Was she ok?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM #10

Favourites:

Favourites:

Oh forgot to say I was also told to go to bed and rest which im pretty sure is the worst thing you can do is remain immobile when there is a risk of clotting.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM #11

I don't understand why having an op privately stops the NHS treating any issues you are now having afterwards.

You should go back and faint in the waiting room, scare the s**t out of them.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 PM #12
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post
Oh forgot to say I was also told to go to bed and rest which im pretty sure is the worst thing you can do is remain immobile when there is a risk of clotting.
Yeah thats awful advice if theres a chance of it being DVT or something

You need to be up walking about every few hours or so. Think of the advice you get on a long haul flight...

I would go back. This nurse sounds seriously shit. I would also put in a very strongly worded complaint to the NHS.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 PM #13
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Quote:
So they knew the seriousness of the situation and she was seen and properly examened?

Was she ok?
Yes.. They took it very seriously. Her surgery was varicose vein removal and her leg was very hard and swollen plus she was breathless and having chest pains :/
They scanned her and did blood tests and assured her she was fine.. She then had her follow up appointment with the private clinic brought forward and they checked her again.
Thankfully she was fine and has made a full recovery.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM #14
User banned

User banned

You cant get a conclusive answer on blood clots from a blood test alone...in fact a blood test tells you very little, its a cheap way of the nurses brushing off patients,,,,.you need to get a proper scan on the dopler machine in the hospital. Ensure the doctor gets you on the dopler and insist you simply wont get off the phone until this is agreed. I doubt they operate these machines after 5pm though
if nayone at the hospital brushes you off do not accept it. Do not get off the phone until you have this booked in. Ask the doctor what are your options and perhaps he will put you on wafrin for afew days until you get the scan. Once you then know if its a clot or not they will decide on the thickness of the warfarin needed.
Once your on that you should then be ok. I have one mate who is on it for life. He got brushed off several times by usless nurses before he got a scan on a dopler

then wortry about complaininvg about these heartless incompetent b******s at a later date

ps im not medically qualified just have a bit of experience in this area, as most of us do. Keep us updated and good luck
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:48 PM #15
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Yeah thats awful advice if theres a chance of it being DVT or something

You need to be up walking about every few hours or so. Think of the advice you get on a long haul flight...

I would go back. This nurse sounds seriously shit. I would also put in a very strongly worded complaint to the NHS.
THATS more to do with the air pressure on planes.
obviously moving is good and I think elevating your legs is also good.
mind you i know some people bedbound for 5 years or more who never had clots
Old 11-03-2014, 08:50 PM #16
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Daniel, I would go back to a&e. You should be seen by a Doctor and when you do tell him your experience and your fears too.

In your place,I would ring 999 and have paramedics come out, often they know more what is going on than some at the hopsitals unbelievably.
If you are really worried, get them out, it is not a waste of time and they can do vital checks too and also may take you to a&e anyway.
Good luck but if you are worried and don't feel right then get them out.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM #17
mizzy25

mizzy25

I would do as joey says, I cant believe they turned you away. I really hope you got that nurses name? Get well soon and I hope u r ok?
mizzy25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM #18
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Did you lose a lot of blood during your operation Daniel?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:53 PM #19
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Daniel, I would go back to a&e. You should be seen by a Doctor and when you do tell him your experience and your fears too.

In your place,I would ring 999 and have paramedics come out, often they know more what is going on than some at the hopsitals unbelievably.
If you are really worried, get them out, it is not a waste of time and they can do vital checks too and also may take you to a&e anyway.
Good luck but if you are worried and don't feel right then get them out.
yes 999 is an option. there is nothing to fear but fear itself. he simply needs to be throughly checked over, this would also give him peace of mind. he must insist on getting a scan urgently and not be talked out of it by evasive hospital staff
Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 PM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
You cant get a conclusive answer on blood clots from a blood test alone...in fact a blood test tells you very little, its a cheap way of the nurses brushing off patients,,,,.you need to get a proper scan on the dopler machine in the hospital. Ensure the doctor gets you on the dopler and insist you simply wont get off the phone until this is agreed. I doubt they operate these machines after 5pm though
if nayone at the hospital brushes you off do not accept it. Do not get off the phone until you have this booked in. Ask the doctor what are your options and perhaps he will put you on wafrin for afew days until you get the scan. Once you then know if its a clot or not they will decide on the thickness of the warfarin needed.
Once your on that you should then be ok. I have one mate who is on it for life. He got brushed off several times by usless nurses before he got a scan on a dopler

then wortry about complaininvg about these heartless incompetent b******s at a later date

ps im not medically qualified just have a bit of experience in this area, as most of us do. Keep us updated and good luck
The only blood they tested was my blood sugar which would barely come out of my finger and took 5 attempts which is a bit worrying the other was just a blood pressure thingy which would not pick up a clot.

I agree I was expecting something to be done urgent and taken seriously, I was told about that scan thing when in private after care and that is really what is needed to conclusively say if it is or isn't a clot.

Im just in an impossible situation now, stay in bed and put myself at risk, stay mobile and ****ing pass out.

Honestly these pins and needles are driving me up the ****ing wall aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just leave it till the morning and hope I don't turn into the blob.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:57 PM #21
0_o

0_o

Daniel ring 999 and get an ambulance out. They will HAVE to check you properly then.

Dont wanna be the one who scares you, but a blood clot can cause serious damage. I am talking the clot travelling and blocking your heart/lungs shit.

They should give you a shot when you get there, I'm not certain what it does but its to stop blood clots. It does you no harm if you dont have one, but will help if you do. My sis had this last year, turned out to be a very tiny clot that wasnt serious but if it had been left it might have been...the only indication she had one was a really strange looking bruise/rash thing and slight cramps. You seem to have every symptom going :/
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 11-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:58 PM #22

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee. View Post
Did you lose a lot of blood during your operation Daniel?
I cant remember I was so doped out on Morphine does it make a difference? Ive done all this WebMD now and wish I hadn't its just saying dvt, clot, nurve damage all the worst scenarios lol gotta love the internet.

The fact is bad circulation would cause a clot right? She said the test to show my blood pressure would pick up on that which I don't believe is true.

I feel ok at the moment now just the tingling so im going to leave it till the morning.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 11-03-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM #23
User banned

User banned

I agree with vicky.....theyre probably quite quiet on a tuesday night.....they will come out tets your oxygen levels, heart rate, etc nothing scary....dont take any **** daniel off the idiots who answer phones in the doctors surgery or evasive staff....GET the dopler test get conclusive answers. speak to your doctor urgently. write down questions you want to ask the doc before you speak to the doc.
the doc may put you on warfrin for a few days.....but at the end of the day you have to get properly scanned, maybe the result will be negative...at least youll have peace of mind
if you call the ambulance take your ipod and a few books in case they keep u in overnight
Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 PM #24
Lee.

Favourites:

Lee.

Favourites:

Quote:
I cant remember I was so doped out on Morphine does it make a difference? Ive done all this WebMD now and wish I hadn't its just saying dvt, clot, nurve damage all the worst scenarios lol gotta love the internet.

The fact is bad circulation would cause a clot right? She said the test to show my blood pressure would pick up on that which I don't believe is true.

I feel ok at the moment now just the tingling so im going to leave it till the morning.
I don't know really.. What did you have surgery on?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM #25

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Daniel ring 999 and get an ambulance out. They will HAVE to check you properly then.

Dont wanna be the one who scares you, but a blood clot can cause serious damage. I am talking the clot travelling and blocking your heart/lungs shit.

They should give you a shot when you get there, I'm not certain what it does but its to stop blood clots. It does you no harm if you dont have one, but will help if you do. My sis had this last year, turned out to be a very tiny clot that wasnt serious but if it had been left it might have been...the only indication she had one was a really strange looking bruise/rash thing and slight cramps. You seem to have every symptom going :/
I really really don't want to call 999 I know im being stupid but everyone in my street will be out in force to see whats going on.

Theres an alternative number I think is it 111? I may call them and see what they say.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
answers, needed, problem, serious