Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:07 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
no it wasnt it was a truthful contribution, you of course have contributed nothing and made it small ptty and personal. as usual. maybe youd like to mock my finding my long lost brothr again, thats about your standard
Another non contribution.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 PM #27
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
Another non contribution.
touche hypocrite.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM #28
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I think you mean you only listen to opinions that agree with yours. youve come to the wrong place. bringing up kids of greasy fat filed foods and endless take aways and unbalanced diets is abuse. you dont think so. I do. Im here to fight for the kids. you can dismiss kids health as buzz words, I find that flippancy disgusting
That OP asked a question I answered it a little less hysterically than you, metabolism, life style, diet,genetics, medical problems all contribute to kids being overweight, but just because a child is overweight does not mean the parent is abusing them and if you think they are then by that logic my kids are abused as one of them is bordering on underweight for his age, should I force feed him to avoid the call from social services?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 AM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
That OP asked a question I answered it a little less hysterically than you, metabolism, life style, diet,genetics, medical problems all contribute to kids being overweight, but just because a child is overweight does not mean the parent is abusing them and if you think they are then by that logic my kids are abused as one of them is bordering on underweight for his age, should I force feed him to avoid the call from social services?
If he is unhealthily underweight then yes you should feed him more. Give the poor kid some Ben and Jerry's
LikeABoatOnWater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM #30
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

We are as a nation getting bigger, there's no dressing it up really. I get around 3 pizza leaflets a day through the door, It's always annoyed me that in cafes the only kids option is battered offal.
If you feed your kid rubbish then yes I say you're not doing them any favours and are setting them up for a lifetime of medical problems.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM #31
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoatOnWater View Post
If he is unhealthily underweight then yes you should feed him more. Give the poor kid some Ben and Jerry's
he puts away enough for two. At 15 I'm sure it will sort itself out, he is never ill and plays loads of sports so.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 08-04-2014, 10:44 AM #32

Quote:
yes unless there is a serious underlying condition that makes it almost impossible to keep the weight down.
Yep, pretty much agree. What crap are these parents allowing kids to eat? Aren't these parents making sure the kids exercise?
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM #33
User banned

User banned

Quote:
your reply sounds ultra hysterical
glad to see youre defending lazy parenting instead of defending the health of the kids. social services should step in more.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM #34
0_o

0_o

Depends on the age of the kid IMO, along with medical reasons and such (though I suspect there are less people who have medical problems that some would like to make out..a hell of a lot of overweight people say 'thyroid problems' and such, while sat eating a cream cake)

Once they hit teen years, its a lot harder to regulate what they eat. But I cant help but judge when I see someone out with a couple of preschool kids who are like 10 stone.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM #35
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
your reply sounds ultra hysterical
glad to see youre defending lazy parenting instead of defending the health of the kids. social services should step in more.
the OP never mentioned diet, he only mentioned fat kids and whether their parents abused them, you have decided to take to thread off topic and focus on those parents who only feed their kids junk, not my problem if you can't see the bigger picture.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM #36
0_o

0_o

Having said that though, we give Skye muffins and stuff on occasion, and she loves her quavers, so she does eat crap sometimes. I personally dont think junk food matters too much aslong as its not constant, and their main source of nutrition.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM #37
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Depends on the age of the kid IMO, along with medical reasons and such (though I suspect there are less people who have medical problems that some would like to make out..a hell of a lot of overweight people say 'thyroid problems' and such, while sat eating a cream cake)

Once they hit teen years, its a lot harder to regulate what they eat. But I cant help but judge when I see someone out with a couple of preschool kids who are like 10 stone.

How many do you actually see though, maybe it is different up North and in Wales

Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM #38
0_o

0_o

Quote:
[/B]

How many do you actually see though, maybe it is different up North and in Wales
10 stone is a slight exaggeration, but I do see a LOT of large kids when out and about up here. They say though the poorer your area the fatter the residents (as junk food is so much cheaper than healthy stuff, which is very true from my experience)

Oddly enough, usually when I see really big kids, the parents (or whoever they are with..) are like twigs..not sure whats happening there :S
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 08-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM #39

Nope
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM #40
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
10 stone is a slight exaggeration, but I do see a LOT of large kids when out and about up here. They say though the poorer your area the fatter the residents (as junk food is so much cheaper than healthy stuff, which is very true from my experience)

Oddly enough, usually when I see really big kids, the parents (or whoever they are with..) are like twigs..not sure whats happening there :S
I have to say I don't see that many, in a class of 30 you might get 2 fat kids and even they aren't particularly fat, more like puppy fat, then you see these kids in their teens and they have slimmed right down. I see alot more overweight adults!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM #41
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Addiction?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM #42
0_o

0_o

Quote:
I have to say I don't see that many, in a class of 30 you might get 2 fat kids and even they aren't particularly fat, more like puppy fat, then you see these kids in their teens and they have slimmed right down. I see alot more overweight adults!
I see a lot of those myself...I am classed as overweight now according to BMI too, despite me looking ill (and everyone commenting on how ill I look) when I lose weight

I was a chubby kid, but my brother and sister were like beanpoles despite eating the same as me. I dont really understand it, I do think I got my dads genes (hes quite big) and they got my mums. I think some people are just designed to be bigger no matter what tbh...

It depends how 'fat' we are talking really. Chubby isnt a problem IMO...but massive is.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 08-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM #43
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Addiction?
Possibly. It just stand out a lot if you see kids that look like they weight more than their parents do. Maybe the kids arent actually as big as they look next to their super thin parents
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM #44
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I see a lot of those myself...I am classed as overweight now according to BMI too, despite me looking ill (and everyone commenting on how ill I look) when I lose weight

I was a chubby kid, but my brother and sister were like beanpoles despite eating the same as me. I dont really understand it, I do think I got my dads genes (hes quite big) and they got my mums. I think some people are just designed to be bigger no matter what tbh...

It depends how 'fat' we are talking really. Chubby isnt a problem IMO...but massive is.
When children are weighed in school though it doesn't take much to send them over the "normal" weight centile, alot of these kids will have a growth spurt and the weight falls off and evens itself out, the pressure on kids to look a certain way is bad enough without people pointing accusatory fingers at parents. A friend of mine has 3 boys, 2 beanpoles and the eldest was a bit chubby which he was very self conscious about, he ate the same food as the rest of them so are his parents abusers? once he reached his mid teens the weight fell off naturally and he is what would be considered normal now. I know what you mean about 10 stoners, but that is what I would call obese, not chubby.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM #45
0_o

0_o

Quote:
When children are weighed in school though it doesn't take much to send them over the "normal" weight centile, alot of these kids will have a growth spurt and the weight falls off and evens itself out, the pressure on kids to look a certain way is bad enough without people pointing accusatory fingers at parents. A friend of mine has 3 boys, 2 beanpoles and the eldest was a bit chubby which he was very self conscious about, he ate the same food as the rest of them so are his parents abusers? once he reached his mid teens the weight fell off naturally and he is what would be considered normal now. I know what you mean about 10 stoners, but that is what I would call obese, not chubby.
I know this all too well. Gav got a letter about his daughter supposedly being overweight, theres literally nothing on her, shes tall and quite muscular, and this made her weigh more...

Infact I think I made a thread on here once about how schools are classing kids as overweight when they are fine. Gimme 2 secs

Edit - http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...light=children

Though in the past year, my experience of much larger children has changed. That may be because I started going out round here instead of in gateshead though
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 08-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 PM #46

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites:

yeah they say people always blame the parents but they are to blame . once they get to teens then its up tot he kid and the upbringing to do the rest

i lost count of how many fat families i would see once coming into my stall eating burgers with their fat obese kids. all scoffing like animals. kids looking older than they should.
shame as the parents are obese and the poor kids are because of them.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM #47

Favourites:

Favourites:

for my weight they say i should be 8 foot tall so im not fat just too short lol
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 PM #48
User banned

User banned

Quote:
the OP never mentioned diet, he only mentioned fat kids and whether their parents abused them, you have decided to take to thread off topic and focus on those parents who only feed their kids junk, not my problem if you can't see the bigger picture.
BIGGER picture nice pun. the bottom line is the kids health comes first. lazy parents who feed their kids garbage which turns their kids unhealthy need to be reigned in and held accountable.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 PM #49
-

-

Depends on the age of the child. Young children, yes, it's probably a parenting issue. Past the age of about 8 or 9 then not necessarily. It could still be that, but by that age, kids have a lot more freedom and frankly a parent who is watching their child like a hawk and controlling their every move / everything they eat is a far "worse" sort of parent, and is going to raise a far "worse" / maladjusted adult. There's only so much control that a parent has or SHOULD have over their children, and food issues are an absolute minefield. If you get it "wrong" when tackling them, you could end up triggering a life long eating disorder.

That said, a parent who can see that their child is overweight and isn't taking steps to find out why, and to help them to tackle it is definitely a "bad" parent, or at least, is making bad parenting choices in that specific area. Because a fat child is definitely not a happy child. There's something that needs to be addressed.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bad, fat, kids, parent