Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 29-08-2014, 10:20 PM #1

Default Headway Charity Attacks Channel 5

The charity Headway says treatment of American actor Gary Busey has been 'insensitive, exploitative and discriminatory'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-bullying.html
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:22 PM #2
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Gary would find that both bizarre and hilarious.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:22 PM #3

Not really sure what I think about this tbh.

In one way it proves that a lot of people believe that the other housemates have been discriminating against him to some extent in the other hand Gary would hate to be considered a victim IMO and he is fit enough to be on the show.

Last edited by Josy; 29-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:28 PM #4

Yeah not sure what I believe, Gary is holding his own and complaints like this paint Gary as a victim. He's very strong, not a victim.

However, I believe this is good in some ways. Shows like BB can be good for exposure to things like brain injuries to the public, but the way it's being dealt with in the house is really poor. I'd hate to think that some members of the public would have an inaccurate portrayal of neurological disorders and how to deal with them from the way it's been dealt with on BB.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:31 PM #5

Im with you on this Josy
Patricia4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:31 PM #6
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

The HMs have been ignorant and intolerant.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:32 PM #7

I never thought otherwise. I've never forgotten this channel is the pits. If channel 5 was a newspaper, the daily star would look down on it.
Chuckyegg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:36 PM #8

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post

In one way it proves that a lot of people believe that the other housemates have been discriminating against him to some extent in the other hand Gary would hate to be considered a victim IMO and he is fit enough to be on the show.
Yes, I think he would HATE being considered a victim.
The article mentions the nomination process a lot and I think Stephanie and Rikkis noms were just too much. Is calling him dirty and disgusting on public TV is a step too far? Yes.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:37 PM #9

Favourites:
CBB 12: Courtney Stodden

Favourites:

Like I said in early posts he should not have been put on the show, the producers are to blame for all of this, gary is clearly having problems in there and his fellow housemates have no experience in dealing with his condition.
waylander1973 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:42 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander1973 View Post
Like I said in early posts he should not have been put on the show, the producers are to blame for all of this, gary is clearly having problems in there and his fellow housemates have no experience in dealing with his condition.
I disagree, having a disability shouldn't mean Gary is forced to become a recluse. I feel that that's a really old-fashioned attitude. Disabled people should not be written off.
Old 29-08-2014, 10:43 PM #11

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Quote:

I don't know, to me Gary seems like a very positive person and I think perhaps he might be pleased that his appearance on the show has brought the difficulties of people who have brain injuries to light in public. I hope so anyway.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:56 PM #12

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicadanielle View Post
I disagree, having a disability shouldn't mean Gary is forced to become a recluse. I feel that that's a really old-fashioned attitude. Disabled people should not be written off.
Never said he should be a recluse, the telegraph news article an expert Charles Sophy that he is vulnerable quote - his accident had “probably” had a greater effect on him than he realised. Sophy described it as essentially weakening his mental "filters" and causing him to speak and act impulsively.

He can do other things than go on reality tv shows like big brother.

I only said he should not be on this show, where people without knowing his full condition may react in a negative manner towards him.

Last edited by waylander1973; 29-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:08 PM #13

Quote:
Never said he should be a recluse, the telegraph news article an expert Charles Sophy that he is vulnerable quote - his accident had “probably” had a greater effect on him than he realised. Sophy described it as essentially weakening his mental "filters" and causing him to speak and act impulsively.

He can do other things than go on reality tv shows like big brother.

I only said he should not be on this show, where people without knowing his full condition may react in a negative manner towards him.
Still, I don't think that's a reason to not go on the show. People who acquire injuries like Gary's still have to meet strangers from time to time. He is as able as the rest of us.

Though I did think it would have been a good idea to brief the hms about Gary's behaviour, just so they were clear that things that could be perceived as rudeness may be a result of his injury. I cringe so hard when James lectures Gary about things which may (or may not) be a result of his injury, e.g. "Barging" into conversations.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:17 PM #14

Quote:
You have completely ignored the entire point of the article and the charities cause.

You saying Gary shouldn't be in there is in fact discriminating against someone with a brain injury
Old 29-08-2014, 11:28 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You have completely ignored the entire point of the article and the charities cause.

You saying Gary shouldn't be in there is in fact discriminating against someone with a brain injury
I don't think waylander was saying that. Unless the HM's are fully aware of the effects of a brain injury (and tbh, how many people are) then it wasn't wise to put Gary in and expose him to possible misunderstandings and humiliations (like Rikki saying he was dirty and disgusting.) Is poor hygiene and rudeness a direct result of such injuries in Gary's case? We don't know, so how would the HM's?

Last edited by jet; 29-08-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:31 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I don't think waylander was saying that. Unless the HM's are fully aware of the effects of a brain injury (and tbh, how many people are) then it wasn't wise to put Gary in and expose him to possible misunderstandings and humiliations (like Rikki saying he was dirty and disgusting.) Is poor hygiene and rudeness a direct result of such injuries in Gary's case? We don't know, so how would the HM's?
They don't need to be fully aware of the effects Jet all they need is a bit more patience and tolerance.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:33 PM #17

Quote:
I just don't think avoidance is the best way to tackle misconceptions about disorders like Gary's.

We could be worried that someone might be racist in the house, but the answer isn't to only have hms of one race to make sure that doesn't happen. Integration and exposure is necessary to remove prejudice and stigma against, for example, other races or people with disabilities.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:53 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They don't need to be fully aware of the effects Jet all they need is a bit more patience and tolerance.
But if they just think he's a dirty disgusting rude man who butts in on their conversations, spits and burps and doesn't flush the toilet for no reason then they aren't going to take kindly to him. Why would they? Do you want them to patronize him because of his age? I'm not sure a man who seems capable enough would appreciate that at all.
If Gary was 40 or 50 would you expect them to have patience and tolerance?
I don't think they need to tolerate his shortcomings because of his age - I think they need to because of his brain injuries - but if they don't know that is the cause then they aren't going to.
I think some of them are too harsh on him anyway, yes. I also think Gary is playing on it, yes....unless he has gone seriously downhill in the last 2 years since I last saw him in action, and that is quite possible.
Old 30-08-2014, 12:03 AM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

Nothing to do with brain injuries but gary's mental state in having two brain operations which would change him as a result read the psychiatrist bit, the charity quite rightly are saying that the shows producers are not looking out for gary's needs.

The housemates only know about his motorcycle crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltTF...oNrw&index=157, second what about his friends and family knowing his last two reality tv shows he appeared on he was picked on why did they step in tell him no do not do it.

Housemates are subjected to a medical exam are they not, the psychiatrist Charles Sophy has commented that gary has problems that he himself is not taken into account, if that's the case if you were a producer on that show knowing that fact would you put gary on the show.

The psychiatrist was saying his behavior on celebrity rehab was not his is fault.

Charles Sophy clearly thinks he needs help if he didn't seek it after that show, how's going on big brother going to help him out long term.

How saying is he shouldn't be on that show is discriminating against gary, some people brain injured or not are not psychology able to cope with the big brother game show.

Last edited by waylander1973; 30-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 30-08-2014, 12:13 AM #20

Quote:
Nothing to do with brain injuries but gary's mental state in having two brain operations which would change him as a result read the psychiatrist bit, the charity quite rightly are saying that the shows producers are not looking out for gary's needs.

The housemates only know about his motorcycle crash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltTF...oNrw&index=157, second what about his friends and family knowing his last two reality tv shows he appeared on he was picked on why did they step in tell him no do not do it.

Housemates are subjected to a medical exam are they not, the psychiatrist Charles Sophy has commented that gary has problems that he himself is not taken into account, if that's the case if you were a producer on that show knowing that fact would you put on the show.

The psychiatrist was saying his behavior on celebrity rehab was not his is fault.

Charles Sophy clearly thinks he needs help if he didn't seek it after that show, how's going on big brother going to help him out long term.

How saying is he shouldn't be on that show is discriminating against gary, some people brain injured or not are not psychology able to cope with the big brother game show.
Did you read the comment from channel 5 in regards to the charity?

They specifically said ALL housemates undergo separate medical testing before entering the house to ensure they are able to go on the show.

Gary has a brain injury and may need prompts for certain activities but he isn't incapable of doing things and he isn't showing any signs AT ALL of not being able to cope which is why I think jumping to the conclusion that he has a brain injury so he shouldn't be there is discriminating.

If Gary wants to do the show and he passed whatever medicals he needed to before entering then he has every right to be there.
Old 30-08-2014, 12:17 AM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicadanielle View Post
I just don't think avoidance is the best way to tackle misconceptions about disorders like Gary's.

We could be worried that someone might be racist in the house, but the answer isn't to only have hms of one race to make sure that doesn't happen. Integration and exposure is necessary to remove prejudice and stigma against, for example, other races or people with disabilities.
It's not the same thing at all. People of different races aren't mentally impaired in any way and are on a level with everyone else healthwise. If Gary has special needs, those needs should be attended to by a trained carer in the house, not by a pack of egotistical HM's in a dog eat dog environment which CBB always is by it's very nature.

At the very least, the HM's could have been educated as to the effects of a brain injury. Blame the bloody producers, who are watching his humiliations and doing **** all to remedy it, unless they know that Gary is playing a game too which I thought he might be given he seemed in fine fettle with no sign of brain problems just a few years ago. But I have my doubts now....maybe he is frailer...
Old 30-08-2014, 12:28 AM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

They specifically said ALL housemates undergo separate medical testing before entering the house to ensure they are able to go on the show.

Gary has a brain injury and may need prompts for certain activities but he isn't incapable of doing things and he isn't showing any signs AT ALL of not being able to cope which is why I think jumping to the conclusion that he has a brain injury so he shouldn't be there is discriminating.

If Gary wants to do the show and he passed whatever medicals he needed to before entering then he has every right to be there.
So if he can cope and is fit to be there why do you think the other HM's need to be patient and tolerant towards him? And if he needs prompts for certain activities why aren't those prompts given to him by BB, in the DR privately perhaps to avoid the HM's having to tell him - showering for example?
Old 30-08-2014, 12:33 AM #23

Quote:
It's not the same thing at all. People of different races aren't mentally impaired in any way and are on a level with everyone else healthwise. If Gary has special needs, those needs should be attended to by a trained carer in the house, not by a pack of egotistical HM's in a dog eat dog environment which CBB always is by it's very nature.

At the very least, the HM's could have been educated as to the effects of a brain injury. Blame the bloody producers, who are watching his humiliations and doing **** all to remedy it, unless they know that Gary is playing a game too which I thought he might be given he seemed in fine fettle with no sign of brain problems just a few years ago. But I have my doubts now....maybe he is frailer...
Yeah good point about the race thing, it was a poor comparison on my part.

I'm not sure Gary has special needs though. I doubt that at home he has anyone specifically to care for him, just that his family will of course have been briefed on what they might expect. I definitely agree that the housemates needed to be educated about the effects of his injury too, and maybe reminded about it when they nom him for things that might be a result of his injury/hearing impairment.

Gary seems happy enough though. That doesn't justify any behaviour towards him of course, but I'm glad it doesn't seem to affect him
Old 30-08-2014, 12:34 AM #24

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

The charity never stated that gary should not be allowed on the show but gary needs are not being considered by the show's producers, in that gary's needs are not being looked out for in the house which they're complaining about not that he should be there or not.

if gary really needs to be told to take a shower for example why was left to james to tell him that and not big brother for example, if gary needs to told to do certain things to get by then it big brother's responsible to do that not the housemates, duty of care stuff.

Last edited by waylander1973; 30-08-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 30-08-2014, 12:36 AM #25

Quote:
So if he can cope and is fit to be there why do you think the other HM's need to be patient and tolerant towards him? And if he needs prompts for certain activities why aren't those prompts given to him by BB, in the DR privately perhaps to avoid the HM's having to tell him - showering for example?
I don't know for a fact if he needs prompts Jet which is why I said may, his partner possibly deals with things like that or maybe it's easier for him at home because he knows exactly where everything is and things like that, he did say to James if you get me some towels I will have a shower right away.

I think the housemates do need a bit more patience with him but that's more to do with the hearing issues.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attacks, channel 5, charity, headway