Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-09-2014, 09:11 AM #51

Great speech by Ed
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 01:20 PM #52

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 01:39 PM #53
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Great speech by Ed
Agreed,it was for many reasons but because it offered hope that despite the realities and constraints still placed financially on the UK that there was another way to ensure protection for those who need it, to build back up the NHS, to start to tackle the reversal of wages below inflation for so many years.

To ensure fairness and justice as to policies and more to the point when dealing with those most vulnerable,ensuring compassion is evident in such dealings with them and as to policies affecting them.

A far cry from this strengthen further the strongest and, shore up the richest while tearing away from the poorest and most vulnerable the little they already have and never listening to all the cries against such policies and just dismissing any criticism of same.
That is all we have had from this Govt. followed by failure upon failure as to near all its original financial and economic targets.

We are going to be expected to take part again in conflict in the Middle East, (amazing how unlimited funding can be found for that at the drop of a hat, as it was for the Libyan action too).
Yet this Govt has depleted the armed forces to what I feel are ridiculous levels.
As to just about 70% of this Coalition's policies,I stand by my view that this is in fact a dangerous for the UK PM leading a dangerous Govt.

Ed Miliband showed a fairer,more compassionate and in my view better way of governing a Country,I just hope things at the very least stay as they are politically because that will mean his policies will indeed get a chance.

I hope to see this present Govt. and this doom and gloom for the majority of the UK swept away at the first opportunity to do so.

Last edited by joeysteele; 25-09-2014 at 01:40 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 02:05 PM #54
-

-

I do think if anything the referendum has shown that after years of negativity, there's a real appetite right now for being offered a little bit of hope in politics. People want to believe in the possibility of a better, fairer world and that's what they want to hear - that we can achieve that and then be in a good place to tackle the problems like the deficit and debt.

I know it's a bit simplistic but you can scale it down to a personal level: until recently me and my wife combined had a decent chunk of debt and even a deficit, juggling credit and dipping into credit cards at the end of the month. It had been a haunting us for years, since the end of university, and was a major source of stress for me (I'm a money worrier). But then, I decided to actually do something about it - stop pinching pennies so hard, get myself into a good place, then tackle it head on. We were debt free in less than a year.

Like I say, overly simplistic maybe, but it does apply. We simply cannot tackle the deficit by making everyone so miserable that productivity plummets. It'll only make things far worse. Yes you can keep chipping away at the outgoings but eventually you'll start harming the bottom line of money coming in too, and it'll all be for nothing.

People need that. People need a functional, hopeful country to have any sort of motivation to want to keep it that way. We're crying out for it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 05:01 PM #55
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I do think if anything the referendum has shown that after years of negativity, there's a real appetite right now for being offered a little bit of hope in politics. People want to believe in the possibility of a better, fairer world and that's what they want to hear - that we can achieve that and then be in a good place to tackle the problems like the deficit and debt.

I know it's a bit simplistic but you can scale it down to a personal level: until recently me and my wife combined had a decent chunk of debt and even a deficit, juggling credit and dipping into credit cards at the end of the month. It had been a haunting us for years, since the end of university, and was a major source of stress for me (I'm a money worrier). But then, I decided to actually do something about it - stop pinching pennies so hard, get myself into a good place, then tackle it head on. We were debt free in less than a year.

Like I say, overly simplistic maybe, but it does apply. We simply cannot tackle the deficit by making everyone so miserable that productivity plummets. It'll only make things far worse. Yes you can keep chipping away at the outgoings but eventually you'll start harming the bottom line of money coming in too, and it'll all be for nothing.

People need that. People need a functional, hopeful country to have any sort of motivation to want to keep it that way. We're crying out for it.

Glad you got all sorted Toy Soldier and that is a really great post too.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 05:05 PM #56
You know my methods

You know my methods

The overall consensus was that it was a complete disaster for DM and labour

That is my unbiased view from listening to R4, LBC, 5 Live, R Scotland, BBC1 and several better newspapers

Face it, he stunk the UK out
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 06:00 PM #57
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Unlike the daily mail spitting image ripped the piss out of everyone equally though, like a good heart good satire is hard to find

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ed, long, miliband, speech