Notices

Survivor Discuss all versions of the CBS reality show.

Old 25-05-2020, 09:10 AM #2226
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Got through the pre-merge of Santa Carolina and it started off SLOOOOOOW and honestly kind of not good at all lol but I think the last two episodes were actually good and we might be moving in the right direction? I felt like it was watching the same thing each episode with Darren being on the outs of Timbila and a random Chibudu person quitting but there's been a lot more life in the last two episodes, especially the last one which was REALLY good with Okkert vs. Louw in the Challenge and Louw vs. Gys in the kidnapping when Chibudu hid all of their supplies.

I haven't really cared about any of the boots so far so I think that might be part of why the pre-merge has felt uneventful. Christina's quit happened in like two seconds and was lame, Garth basically quit with his leg infection, Jub Jub's quit over his penis infection sounds hilarious on paper but he was actually an ass and not fun whatsoever, Cindy had a bit of potential for being extremely good at the survival aspect while being a pageant girl but I didn't really miss her once she was gone, Craig was a ****ing DRAIN on Chibudu and was just annoying in the most boring way, Lady Lea didn't really exist, Darren wasn't terrible but it was basically the same storyline each episode so it's better that he went, and Sandi didn't exist.

As for the tribes..... I kinda feel like I don't really know anyone that well still oops! At first I thought I liked Timbila better (I have their tribe's chant stuck in my head as I'm typing this), but then I was digging Chibudu's underdog story and Okkert just dominating every physical Challenge. But then Chibudu were kind of awful during the kidnapping by hiding all of their supplies and being smug about it so that was't really a good look either! So I'll just comment on a few random things: the Hanna/Sade friendship is cute and I think Hanna could be a fun MORP person with a better edit. Sade is a fun narrator and I really felt for her when she felt on the outs because everyone else on her tribe is white and speaks Afrikaans while she only speaks English (Gys saying he was gonna keep Hanna for being part of their clan is sooooooo dicey holy ****.) On Timbila I don't really feel like I know anyone all that well because Darren sucked all of their airtime, but I'm kind of appreciating Louw lately as a wannabe alpha male who keeps getting owned by Okkert and Chibudu. Some of his temper tantrums aren't justified but some of them are and I at least appreciate him for bringing SOMETHING right now.

My final paragraph will be about production because so many things don't make sense this season. Splitting up the marooning between a group of seven and a group of eleven was just weird and seemingly pointless. Exile Island literally only lasted for two rounds for the pre-merge so that also seems dumb and pointless. Even more nonsensical was how the person who got sent to Exile Island got to pick someone from the other tribe to take their place until they returned. Like, that was just a dumb twist that didn't affect anything and was just confusing. And then the kidnapping was kind of cute but why do it only in the last round before the merge?

Okay thank you for reading my random essay on Santa Carolina see you later when I have merge thoughts xxx
Old 26-05-2020, 08:18 AM #2227
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

While this is still my least fave South Africa season so far, I'm appreciating the merge as the battle between two tribes that are even in numbers and the fact that vote countback is the tiebreaking method. It feels like classic Survivor in the best sense and it's a nice reminder of what the show used to be.

The Hanna boot was sad because with a better edit she really could've been a fun MORP presence. A physical and mental threat who just barely lost the first individual IC and got sent home in a tiebreaker is the PERECT storyline for a merge boot, especially one who was targeted for being such a threat, but the show just kinda didn't really go there the way that they could have. She was tied with Louw and even though he had a a previous vote against him from before the merge, apparently in SA the countback resets at the merge so they were deadlocked and had to go to a sudden death elimination challenge which was...... counting to 30 and touching a skull It was equally intense and bizarre and I can't believe that the fate of the season seemingly came down to a BBUS POV Comp.

But then the end result of the next episode ended up being even more hilarious. Izak, who REALLY should've had a CPM conflicted edit since the kidnapping or the merge episode, had a moral dilemma where he respected Okkert too much to vote him out with the rest of his alliance, so he tried to convince Okkert's allies to turn on him in order to save themselves. GiGi and Sade played along but didn't buy into it, Izak thought they bought into it and thus threw his vote away Sean Kenniff/Kelly Wiglesworth style, and as a result it was a 4-4-1 tie and Louw got sent home over Okkert via countback It felt like a fanfic gone wrong and I kinda love it, even though I appreciated Louw as a beta male constantly punching higher than his worth in trying to one-up Okkert as alpha male of the tribe.
Old 29-05-2020, 02:44 PM #2228
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):

A cute interview with Sonja Thee Christopher, ahead of Survivor's 20th anniversary (and thus the 20th anniversary of her being voted out) on Sunday:

https://ew.com/tv/sonja-christopher-...h-anniversary/

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 05:02 PM #2229
like the boys

Favourites (more):

like the boys

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
A cute interview with Sonja Thee Christopher, ahead of Survivor's 20th anniversary (and thus the 20th anniversary of her being voted out) on Sunday:

https://ew.com/tv/sonja-christopher-...h-anniversary/
And there's this oral history of Borneo from Inside Survivor, featuring interviews with producers, crew, Gretchen, Gervase, Sean, Joel and Ramona, and anecdotes about (but not limited to) Sean accidentally outing himself as a doctor on the flight to Malaysia, Gretchen accidentally stumbling across the Tribal Council set after being voted out, Pagong feeling sorry for the malnourished crew and feeding them their rice, and a producer ordering in a helicopter full of McDonald's:

https://insidesurvivor.com/birth-of-...r-borneo-43932

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 11:37 PM #2230
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

I finished Santa Carolina last night and I definitely enjoyed the endgame more. It was entirely the Ashley show, and despite her being a gamebot I enjoyed her because she played the game in an interesting way that was fun to watch. She was just head and shoulders above everyone else strategically and she pretty much ran a clinic on how to us the vote countback tiebreaker as strategy. Like, the entire chain of events where she makes a F3 with GiGi and Sade on Reward, uses them to spread votes at F7 on every guy remaining, and then use those votes to take out Izak in a 2-2-2 tiebreaker is brilliant and shows how much potential that tiebreaking method has. The Kaseran boot was also a fantastic episode and once again shows that often times the best episodes are not ones where the audience is blindsided. We all knew his fate was sealed as soon as he lost the Immunity Challenge but it was still gripping watching him come to that realization and melt down once Ashley told him she was voting for him.

GiGi winning is definitely disappointing because look at her edgic strip, but I can't be that mad about her win because Ashley definitely screwed up by not taking her out lol. GiGi had four locked Jury votes from all of Chibudu and I think she would've stood a better chance against ProVerb, who although he was very cheerful and ^_^ he also had a lot of people talk **** about him for being completely useless around camp. I don't know how many of the Chibudu votes Ashley would've been able to snag if it was her and ProVerb in the F2 but I think she could've stood a better chance.

But in spite of this season picking up during the merge, it's definitely my least fave SA season so far. I don't dislike it but it has a looooot of flaws. The premerge is slow and full of quitters and lame unanimous votes, it takes a while for storylines to pick up, and the editing is really atrocious. I think this cast actually had a lot of potential but the show just did not know how to product an edit that would create long-term storylines. Like you kind of got there with Okkert and Ashley, but I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential in Hanna, Louw, Izak, GiGi, and kind of Kaseran from a narrative standpoint. The season definitely has its merits and I wouldn't say not to watch it, but I wouldn't particularly go out of my way to recommend it and I'm perplexed as to how this is The Best Season before Philippines.

1. Ashley (yes she's a gamebot but she lives up to the hype. If you have any doubt of the potential of vote countback as a tiebreaking method just watch her entire merge game and get back to me. I really hope she comes back for an All-Stars season because she seems like the type of person who can actually acknowledge her mistakes and learn from them)
2. ProVerb (just very good-natured and seemed like a lot of fun? Didn't have the most prominent edit but I appreciate how it was divided between "ugh Pro is so lazy and useless around camp, he is WORTHLESS " and him giving confessionals like "yeah I only got this far because of moves other people made but I'm still thankful to be here ^_^" and his jury speech about how Ashley USED and ABUSED him and THREW HIM AWAY when she didn't need him anymore, followed by giving her a round of applause and congratulating her for doing so )
3. Izak (they really ****ed up by not giving him a better edit in the kidnapping episode and the merge episode because he randomly turned into a big factor in the merge? He had a cute storyline about how he wasn't going to be a sheep and how he was going to play the game bravely and courageously and it led to some unexpected turns like Timbila giving up their numbers advantage and then flipping back one round later. The events that led up to his boot were also a lot of fun, including the storyline about "ugh Izak is such a poser, always prancing around in his red Speedo" which )
4. Sade (she was a fun narrator!)
5. Hanna (she was fun and cute when she was shown, and she was apparently a big challenge threat? She really should've been a MORP merge boot fallen angel who got taken out in a deadlock tiebreaker but alas)
6. Okkert (he was fun as a challenge beast who helped lead his underdog tribe and served as what seemed to be the final boss for Timbila, BUT towards the end of his stay he was kind of a little too whiny about how people weren't playing the game when it was just that he didn't have the numbers)
7. Louw (his jury speech was kind of awful and soured me on him BUT I actually enjoyed him when he was in the game and I think he had a lot of potential as a beta male who kept punching above his weight and routinely got beaten by Okkert and Chibudu as a whole. I don't know if I would've enjoyed him more with a better edit but I think he could've been A Big Character)
8. Cindy (I think she had potential as a Miss South Africa who was randomly REALLY good at the survival aspect of the game but I could also see her being kind of a purist who didn't want to strategize so I didn't particularly miss her once she left)

9. GiGi (she won Survivor South Africa: Santa Carolina. And I guess according to Gys's jury question he proved that exotic dancers aren't sluts)
10. Darren (he was kind of rootable in the beginning when he was desperately trying to figure out alliances and even on Day 2 when he called Jub Jub out for bathing in the drinking water but then he lasted like two or three episodes too long and just had the same exact storyline of being on the bottom of his tribe and having no allies)
11. Sandi (idk her but I think she seemed nice like once or twice?)
12. Gys (he was a vaguely likable underdog in his boot episode for reasons I can't really remember *BUT* he also had one frightening quote about how he wanted to boot Sade next out of Chibudu and keep Hanna because "she's part of our clan" aka she speaks Afrikaans like all the other white people in the tribe and unlike Sade )
13. Garth (he cut his leg in the first Challenge and then couldn't walk so he was voted out first)
14. Christina (she quit like Day 2 or 3 bc she missed her kid)
15. Lady Lea (idk her)

16. Kaseran (he thought he had the game on lock after Timbila got the numbers in the merge and just thought he was untouchable and was indignant to anyone overtaking him, which made his loss that much juicier when Ashley knifed him at F5 after we had so many confessionals about how "Ashley would NEVER lie to me. I trust her with my life. I would never make any decision without consulting Ashley first!")
17. Craig (took up a lot of cameratime in the first few episodes and was REALLY annoying and would've been a hell demon if he lasted any longer)
18. Jub Jub (was really rude and unpleasant and did dumb **** like use the drinking water to wash off and then get mad at people getting mad at him about it. And he acted like he was all tough and mighty but then he quit episode 2 bc he had a rash on his balls GOODBYE)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:58 PM #2231
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan
another vice

Favourites (more):

S28EP10:
- Trish bidding $60 for a small dish of rice
- Was soooo rooting for Spencer to get that black rock instead of Tony but also wasn't surprised he didn't </3
- Spencer making Tony paranoid
- Tash winning immunity AGAIN She's so damn good

Spencer & Tony coming together and voting out Jefra I can't get over how Tony plays the game so well because they all see what he's doing but he still controls the vote every single episode

Kass is getting annoying now. Maybe I don't like her as much when she's so anti-Spencer...

1. Spencer
2. Tony
3. Tash
4. Jefra
5. Kass
6. Woo
7. Trish

Last edited by caprimint; 02-06-2020 at 04:58 PM.
caprimint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:06 PM #2232
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprimint View Post
Spencer & Tony coming together and voting out Jefra I can't get over how Tony plays the game so well because they all see what he's doing but he still controls the vote every single episode
The way he then managed to do it again in Winners at War

Also I told you Kass will get annoying at times. (but not for anti-Spencer reasons )... SUCH a benefit to the season tho
Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 PM #2233
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

Yeah lol. They watched him do it the first time and let it happen all over again.

Idk like I wonder if she was anti-Trish or something I'd probably still be enjoying her But she just seems to like complaining about everything and hardly has anything positive to say
Old 03-06-2020, 12:23 AM #2234
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Got through the pre-merge of SA: Malaysia and it's actually pretty good so far and I'm enjoying it a lot more than Santa Carolina and even Maldives It's a very old school season (but in good quality on YouTube!) where alliances and votes are driven both by tribe strength and interpersonal conflict and it's glorious. There's been exactly one scene of an alliance getting formed and the confessional was literally like "lol we aligned but idk why we did, it just happened"

Iban is okayish as a tribe. Kind of boring and their two boots have been all about tribe strength, but I'm keeping an eye on LISA, who I actually kind of hated in the first episode? She was, like, boldly not doing ANY work in the premiere and boasting about it but wasn't really doing it in a fun way, but then after surviving a 4-3-1 vote she's like " I have to start working *picks up a coconut and brings it back to camp* guys aren't you proud of my contribution?!" and all of the sudden I'm finding her a lot funnier and loving her as a worthless cockroach who is starting to become more in on the joke

I will say though that I don't feel like they've really done a good job flushing out the dynamics. Angie, Grant, Viwe, and Lisa immediately formed an alliance "for no reason" in the premiere but then Lisa voted against Grant according to Wiki (the end credits only show the votes against the boot which is annoying) and Irshaad is voting with Angie/Grant/Viwe? But then by episode 3 it seems like it's Angie/Grant/Lisa vs. Irshaad/Viwe with Mandla and Lorette as swings in the middle? I don't know, I just don't like heading into a tribe swap and not really understanding..... anything about that tribe's dynamics.

Bajau though... holy **** let's just take in the following events:

-Hein and Dyke immediately proclaim themselves as Bush Experts and make a bunch of promises to bring in food and shelter and fire like nothing
-Elsie struggles to swim in the first Challenge and Dyke openly bitches at camp about how they have two black girls who can't swim, prompting Elsie to yell at him and read him for filth
-Hein and Dyke don't actually provide on any of the promises of food and fire and shelter that they promised and then are ignoring suggestions that people like Amanda and Elsie make about things like preparing to eat the fish (they end up being correct)
-After losing an Immunity Challenge, Elsie holds a tribe meeting bc there's no teamwork in the tribe but Hein says that she's lazy, leading to a fight between Dyke/Hein and Amanda/Elsie
-This leads to an even bigger fight between Hein and Elsie, leading to this top tier confessional: "My mother didn't raise me to be STUPID and whatever I say that comes out of my mouth should never be stupid to anybody. So as far as [Hein]'s concerned he can flips middle fingers at the camera go SUCK ON THIS cause I'm not done with him wipes hands clean for an extended period of time I'll be done with him when I'm out of this place, I'm not done with him"

like...... this was also immediately followed up by her saying if she was allowed to fight on the island she'd **** somebody up alol.

(I also had a fun image but it's on Discord and this forum is dumb and has the word banned in URLs?!)

-Amanda/Angela/Elsie team up with Nichal and Rijesh to take out Nicola (who is a Dyke/Hein lackey) but not before a TC where Angela calls out Dyke and Hein for not following through on any of their promises around camp, Amanda calls Dyke obnoxious and dismissive and bossy to his face, Elsie explicitly accuses Dyke of saying racist **** against black people, and Nichal saying that if this was the real world Dyke would've been bashed by now
-Dyke calls everyone wankers and Elsie obnoxiously celebrates that she's not going anywhere and she'll go when she's ready as they're leaving Tribal
-Dyke tries to clear the air with everybody the next day but Angela shuts him down and says that actions speak louder than words and he and Hein haven't acted on anything they promised
-On Day 7, Hein finally starts fire for the tribe but is mainly motivated because Nichal offered to pay him R500 if he did it, leading to a ****ing hilarious scene where Angela is parading up and down the beach trying to get each person to contribute R100 to give to Hein when he finally makes fire

Legitimately one of my favorite tribes across all of Survivor I've seen. These people largely hated each other for personal reasons and were SO petty about it, and whenever they tried to patch things up it never worked because these people have the worst conflict resolution skills ever I'm so sad that they're getting broken up by a tribe swap because these people are all insane and could've carried the show on their own. They basically were already?

So yeah, I'm enjoying this season a lot which is a fun surprise. HOWEVER, it's only been three episodes so who knows?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:37 AM #2235
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Got through the swap phase of SA: Malaysia and am still enjoying the season a lot more than I expected to! There's absolutely minimal strategy and it's entirely character-driven and a bunch of these people can't stand each other so it's been fun! I will say that the swap went on for a little bit too long but I wish they could've been in their original tribes for longer, but oh well!

I thought it was unique how they did the swap right before the IC and it was potentially problematic that they were going to send the new losing tribe immediately from IC to TC, but then Elsie almost got murdered in the challenge and nearly lost her finger so they had to stall TC for a while It was still done in the daylight though which was neat, but there was no time to strategize so it almost guaranteed that someone would've been swap****ed.

Nu Bajau as a tribe is kind of boring. Lorette and Mandla literally only talk about Survival and Work Ethics I don't think Hein is engaging enough to be the figurehead of the tribe BUT I at least appreciate how he isn't in the majority but he has them all terrified of voting him out because he's so experienced at all the survival elements on the game, and how Angela shamelessly inserted herself as his first lady much to the ire of the rest of the tribe Grant is a witty narrator but not all that exciting, and ultimately the spirit of the tribe was fully in LISA. Her story really is inspiring: someone who actively does less than the minimum amount of work on Iban because she's miserable, and then she gets swapped to Bajau and gets a second wind and realizes that she actually likes doing work when she's in an environment she's happy to be part of sadly this only led to her, like, doing exactly the bare minimum required and Lorette still had it out for her. I did love her boot story about getting frustrated at her tribe for continually sitting her out in Challenges, and I can't believe that she somehow almost achieved MORM overall when she's soooooo effortlessly MORN.

Nu Iban, on the other hand, carried the torch as the tribe full of people who hate each other and it was a great viewing experience the Amanda/Rijesh feud was starting to boil out of nowhere on Bajau, but it fully blew up on Nu Iban in the best way possible. Rijesh is kind of an annoying gay who is clearly a product of 2007 where he thinks it's okay for him to call girls bitches and fat pigs because he's gay, but he got thoroughly owned by Miss Clam 2007 herself so it was worth it Rijesh would try to be like "it's CLAHM not CLAAAM, with your fake ass accent just because you spent a few years in the States!" and Amanda would just be like " " and laugh in his face about how the entire tribe sees he's two-faced and so bad at Survivor that he's about to be voted out unanimously

The other big feud on Nu Iban was Angie vs. Irshaad and I feel like this would be unpopular if more people actually watched the show buuuut I kind of sided with Irshaad? I could see why it'd be grating to live with him but he's ultimately harmless and Angie (and later Amanda too) were kind of relentlessly mean both about him and to him. Like yes he's dumb and yes he did have a habit of interrupting people but he wasn't malicious or anything, just kind of annoying sometimes. I think I also have a soft spot for Irshaad because for being labeled The Strong Guy of his tribe he was sooooooo bad at Challenges and single-handedly lost like three of them. He and Viwe got wrecked in the water wrestling challenge pre-swap, the canoe challenge pre-swap where he was paddling the canoe in circles was ****ing hysterical, and then there was the tug-o-war challenge after the swap where he randomly broke rank and tackled Hein and got his entire tribe DQed He was kind of an angel too with all his confessionals being like "Angie and Amanda are being mean to me BUT I'm not going to say anything because #strategy," only for him to call Amanda condescending at TC when he knew he was going home and leaving both her and Angie stunned

Also, maybe the weirdest morph of them all is Dyke going from "ignorant and very quite possibly racist" to "happy-go-lucky tribe provider and challenge beast" and I'm kind of here for it?

I'm ready for the merge! Kind of stunned that it's only going to be four episodes plus the finale but I'm curious to see how it goes.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 PM #2236
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

S28EP11:
- Tony: "you are always in my thoughts Kass" and Kass telling him to play his idol Their whole argument was hilarious
- Spencer not liking kids
- Kass: "Woo is usually quiet, it's the most he's spoken in 31 days"
- Spencer's impression of Woo
- Spencer winning another immunity, amazing
- Mess @ Tasha calling Tony a bully

Ahhh another GREAT episode I enjoyed Tony v Kass but was more #TeamKass which I was surprised by. She literally slays any argument she has because she's sooo chill/cool about it and adds amusing comments to it. Definitely another turnaround on her this ep, she was great

SOOOOO disappointed it wasn't Trish out Would have been nice to see Tasha stay too </3

1. Spencer
2. Kass
3. Tony
4. Tasha
5. Woo
6. Trish
Old 15-06-2020, 12:42 AM #2237
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

S28EP12:
- Kass calling Tony the "mafia boss"
- Spencer asking Woo if he has any thoughts
- Spencer is the immunity KING, what a win
- Trish calling herself a "non passive aggressive person" after going off @ Kass And I guess she forget about Lindsey???
- Kass remaining unbothered about everything
- Kass DRAGGING Trish all throughout TC

Finally Trish is voted out She's total trash and one of the most annoying people I've seen on this show even though she's also so boring.

Kass & Spencer slayed the episode. The final 4 is actually great overall though

1. Spencer
2. Kass
3. Tony
4. Woo
5. Trish

Last edited by caprimint; 15-06-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 15-06-2020, 08:26 AM #2238
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

NOT rooting for Spencer & Kass over Tony & Woo

And lmaooo @ the Trish hate. I kinda liked Malnutrisha Like I remember I didn't like her as much on rewatch but still a pretty great messy type of entertainment

(it's at least partly from Tony association )
Old 15-06-2020, 09:52 AM #2239
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

Ahhh I can't @ you being on the other side

After watching up till now Spencer is either my #2 or #3, after Adam but idk if Spencer or Kelley are #2 yet... I'd probs have to see Kelley's seasons again to remember properly
Old 15-06-2020, 04:57 PM #2240
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Kelley YES, no no no no no @ Adam & Spencer
Old 15-06-2020, 05:20 PM #2241
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

Old 16-06-2020, 01:17 PM #2242
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

S28EP13:
- Kass: "pretty sure almost everybody dislikes Trish" STILL dragging her ahhhh
- Incredible immunity win from Kass wow
- Jeff saying Woo didn't do anything

NOOOOOOOOOO @ Spencer being eliminated He literally deserved that top 3 placing SO much after his whole game.

- Kass' impressions of Woo
- Literally shocked @ Woo taking Tony over Kass though. Kind of summed himself up "dumbest Survivor player ever"
- Spencer's reactions in TC @ Woo DJSKDJD
- Spencer calling Woo a DOG
- Trish's overreactions... goddamn this woman is annoying
- Spencer's speech to the jury about why they should vote for Tony... so cute

I literally can't @ Woo though... "I want to go up against somebody who is as good as me or better"

What a finale It was actually really good even though I would've preferred the other 2 to be the final 2. Tony did kind of get lucky throughout despite playing crazy well too & he def deserved the win overall
Old 16-06-2020, 01:23 PM #2243
another vice

Favourites (more):
another vice

Favourites (more):

Overall rankings:
1. Spencer
2. Kass
3. Tony
4. Garrett
5. Tash
6. Lindsey
7. Jefra
8. Woo
9. Jeremiah
10. LJ
11. Alexis
12. David
13. Sarah
14. Cliff
15. Brice
16. Morgan
17. J'Tia
18. Trish
Old 20-06-2020, 09:27 PM #2244
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Finished SA: Malaysia! Going to start by talking about the merge since my last post was right at the end of the pre-merge. I enjoyed it! The format was a little bizarre with a merge at F8 and only five episodes (and five jurors!) but it wasn't bad at all. The F8 round was an intense 4-4 split and I appreciated Bajau's reasoning for switching the target from Mandla to Lorette, but it ended up being all for nothing when Hein lost THE SKULL because he either threw it or fell asleep It seemed like it was going to be a Pagonging of Bajau but then at F6 Angie got bored and decided to betray Iban because she couldn't stand Lorette, only for everyone to flip on Angie bc Lorette caught her stealing tapioca. Then Angie won Immunity but then she flipped back to her alliance and the episode was kind of pointless?

But as much as the F6 episode was hyped up for me, I actually enjoyed the F5 episode a lot more? Amanda was a dead man walking in a 4-1 vote but then Lorette decided that she had ENOUGH for Angie because...... she, Grant, and Mandla went searching for food? It basically ended in Lorette yelling at Angie and then Grant and Lorette yelling at each other, only for Lorette to be left sobbing in a confessional about how awful Angie is and then she and Mandla actually did flip and take out Angie!

And then the finale was fine! The F4 elimination twist is interesting and I don't mind that it took out Mandla, who apparently was a fan favorite for some reason? It was sad for Amanda to just miss out on winning the final IC, and the end result is even more confusing. Grant definitely misunderstood Angie's question about whether or not their relationship was real, but somehow that led to her being the deciding vote for Lorette to win, someone whom she grew to hate?!?! I don't know, I can't make sense of it.

Very fun season! I was nervous because Clubs seems to not be fond of this one and r/survivorsa actually seems to be, but I think this is actually my second favorite season besides Philippines There was minimal strategy but a lot of the characters were fun and they were all soooooo petty. Just about every episode involved people giving scathing bitchy confessionals about each other or actually getting in verbal arguments with each other, and so many of the votes were driven by emotions and people disliking each other rather than strategy Very refreshing given the current state of Survivor and this season's in very good quality on YouTube so I would recommend it to anyone!

Will be watching Panama at some point soon but so far for my season ranking I'd say 6>2>5>7>4>3.

1. Amanda (Miss Clam 2007 herself she's bubbly and fun and engaging but everyone found her soooooooooo annoying because she was an incessant chatterbox who was lazy and wouldn't shut up about food. Rijesh *HATED* her because she spoke in a quasi-American accent and said clam incorrectly. Amanda also never hesitated to call people out and stick up for herself, from Dyke and Hein to Rijesh to Irshaad and then to Angie even. I also wouldn't exactly call her a good gameplayer, but I think she has potential and a decent enough skill set to succeed more often than not? Also, she's randomly really active in the Survivor SA community so she's the most likely person to come back and play again if anyone from Malaysia is ever asked to return She was just a lot of fun and provided a lot of good moments and was the highlight of the season for me!)
2. Lisa (I'm shocked because I did NOT like her after the premiere because she was very basic in her "lol I'm lazy and don't need to do any work bc I'm protected by my alliance" shtick but then I started to love her?! Every TC she would barely survive and she'd be all "WOW my neck is on the line... I better do a little bit of work around camp for like two days and then that should fix things " and then she got swapped onto Nu Bajau and had an epiphany that she actually can enjoy doing work around camp when she enjoys her tribe's company it was hilarious to watch someone so clearly MORN nearly pull off an MORM overall edit, and I loved her frustration at her tribe for continually sitting her out of each challenge)
3. Angela (I love how she went from a righteous anti-Dyke/Hein crusader to getting swap****ed and nesting under Hein's protection purely for survival Nu Bajau was soooooooooo mad at her for being untouchable as Hein's right-hand man even though they could've easily taken her out and that's just hilarious to me I was sad to see her go at F6 after all the potential flipping, and I was SHOCKED to find out at the reunion that she was apparently pregnant during her time on Survivor? )
4. Elsie (alol she's so irritating and the perfect embodiment of mid 2000s RTV with profanity-laced confessionals filled with physical threats towards people like Dyke, but it was breath-taking watching someone explicitly accuse Dyke of having problems with black people ESPECIALLY considering the current political climate She also works because she was a tragic early boot since she almost got killed in a challenge )
5. Dyke (I'm SHOCKED because he was easily my least favorite going into the tribe swap because he was obnoxious and said multiple things that are explicitly racist buuuuut if the rest of Bajau is able to forgive him then I guess I am too? His arc from OTTN racist tribe provider to MORP expert fisherman and challenge threat was unexpected but really cute)
6. Irshaad (attractive and "athletic" angel who ****ed up sooooooo many challenges he and Viwe really ****ed up the water wrestling challenge but then I SCREAMED at his poor attempts to paddle a canoe and again when they were doing the tug-o-war challenge and he randomly broke rank and tackled Hein for no reason and got his tribe DQed I definitely get that he would be annoying to live with but I appreciate how he took soooooo much **** from Angie and Amanda and never bit back until his boot TC because ~strategy~)

7. Grant (a boring Kim Spradlin CP bot *but* he's actually witty and funny and gives better confessionals than one would expect. Kind of a Sophie Clarke but without the scathing snark? I kinda wanted him to win but not enough for me to be upset when he lost)
8. Angie (this pains me because I sooooo wanted to love her and I'm sure that she would be a forum favorite if more people watch the season. HOWEVER, despite her bringing It a lot of the time, she's kind of stank and unpleasant and awful? She was actually really mean to Irshaad and it got to a point to where I stopped enjoying her bitching about/to him, I didn't think it was cute how she went from BFFs with Amanda on Nu Iban to bitching about how she never stops talking once the tribes merged, and while I did appreciate her flipping at F6 because she got bored........ it basically amounted to nothing because she flipped back and that's kinda lame to me? I don't know, she kinda falls in that Ciera Eastin/Kelley Wentworth category where she tries really hard but ultimately doesn't amount to much for me and ends up being all hype. Also, her jury question to Grant was B I Z A R R E and it still makes no sense why she gave Lorette a million rand)
9. Lorette (I am *SHOCKED* because I think she was my least fave entering the merge but her last two episodes really elevated her as a character for me. Having a weepy meltdown over how EVIL Angie is bc Angie like flipped for a hot second and then flipped back, screaming at Angie and Grant bc they went to go collect food with Mandla, and then having an OTTP finale where she's referred to as Robocop and ~Lorette Mostert~ like seven times bc she's apparently some superhero woman... it all kinda clicked for me and I'm totally at peace with her as a winner now alol)
10. Hein (for being so omnipresent and basically South Africa's Rupert, I don't really have much of an opinion on him at all? I appreciate the strangehold he had on Nu Bajau but I don't really care that much about him)
11. Nichal (got a **** ton of N-SPV for being a lazy do-nothing but I screamed at the one challenge where he kept tackling Grant and got DQed and lost the entire challenge for his tribe )
12. Mandla (he... was nice? And his niece is some legitimately famous South African socialite? That's all I got)
13. Nicola (she was a cute and tough provider to the tribe but she got taken out in her tribe's first TC bc she was up Hein and Dyke's asses so oh well)
14. Viwe (he was lazy and really messed up a challenge once or something? Easily the most forgettable)
15. Nomfundo (she was booted first for being physically the weakest despite never partaking in a challenge lmao poor thing)

16. Rijesh (annoying gay who thinks he's much smarter and wittier than he actually is. He thinks it's okay to call Amanda a fat cow and say other mean **** just because he's gay AND he was an annoying CPN "look at me, I'm playing both sides and nobody knows " CP bot despite everybody knowing. He got owned though )

Last edited by Macie Lightfoot; 18-10-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Macie Lightfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 AM #2245
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

I've been watching SA: Panama and realized that I haven't made a post so here we are! tbh I was kinda expecting more from the premerge and found it kinda uneventful and slow. It was still watchable, but nothing too exciting. Rana seem like nice people as a whole tribe but they were kinda boring because each TC besides the Don boot was just like "UGH we all like each other so much this is so tough!" and yawn, no thanks.

Aguila was much more fun as a tribe mainly because of ~Surfer Boy and Brigitte Bardot~ alol. The Mzi/Sam feud didn't really do much for me tbh because it literally only lasted for one episode and their fight while trying to start fire was so unintelligible that I can't even make out what they were saying, but I did appreciate just how bad Sam was at scrambling when he realized he was on the bottom. His entire pitch was like "guys if you split me and Brigitte, whoever stays will be MAD... do you guys not care about strength and power and who's been working hard and been happy and smiling and made fun jokes and had good times?!?!" and everyone was immediately like "um no we don't"

However, the highlight was the Nico/Brigitte feud I will admit it did take me a while to get there because for most of the premerge we just got like one bitchy side confessional from each of them or a random "hehe I hid Nico's cigarettes to piss him off" that was literally never spoken about again (how the hell did he even have cigarettes out there to begin with???), but then it all EXPLODED in the last premerge episode, where Nico was like talking to dead fish and he and Brigitte could literally barely stand each other's presences, to the point where they just started throwing jabs at each other nonstop for the entire TC and then somehow Nico got the last laugh bc he knew he was on the way out so he stole the flint with him? I love how that's randomly a commonly petty action to take in Survivor SA, like when Zan basically turned Utara's flit into a makeshift Idol in SA: Champions to keep Buhle safe

I've been enjoying the merge a lot so far! This season's pretty quaint with only 14 people and then a merge at 7 but Aguila serve as cute underdogs. Even Vanessa, someone who I did not care about *at all* during the premerge, has been a fun MORP presence in the merge, to the point where she asked Mark at TC if she could quit to spare Mzi and Mark had to talk her out of it by saying that there'd be a vote regardless but I'm enjoying the gender divide in Rana! I can always handle a steamroll or a Pagonging when there's a lot of in-alliance fighting and tension and that's exactly what is happening so it's enough to keep me interested. Zayn is all about ~honesty~ and ~playing with his heart~ despite being in an alliance that he just calls an agreement to make himself feel better, and Lezel and Jacinda are NOT having it and it's glorious so far

ALSO, I have no ****ing clue if my edgic ratings are correct for episode 9 because the first 10-15 minutes of the episode are randomly missing so I'm certain that I missed some important stuff like the Reward Challenge and probably Brigitte's arrival at Dead Man's Island. This irritates me!!!

Last edited by Macie Lightfoot; 05-07-2020 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:17 AM #2246
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Finished SA1 and it was pretty okay! The merge was so-so with a slowish Pagonging, but then Dead Man's Island twist somehow worked out well? The F5 boot is sooooo bizarre, like Gareth/Jacinda/Zayn were a clear F3 and Mzi/Vanessa reenter the game. Mzi wins Immunity so Vanessa should be the easy target but she somehow becomes untouchable? Zayn tells Mzi he'll vote Jacinda out, Mzi and Vanessa decide to recruit Jacinda to take out Gareth, and somehow a 3-2 Vanessa vote becomes a 3-1-1 Gareth vote

And then the F4 gameplay just becomes all about winning Challenges. Zayn fell and was eliminated and then Mzi, Vanessa, and Jacinda battled for Immunity. Mzi was randomly trying to get Jacinda and Vanessa to both agree to drop because... reasons? It sounds like he thought he was entitled to win because of some deal they made thinking it was going to be a normal F4 round? He was whispering to Jacinda about how Vanessa was fine getting third place in front of Vanessa, and then Jacinda and Vanessa wouldn't agree to drop until the other one did. And then Mzi tried to turn around and speak to Vanessa and he fell off the beam

FTC was fine. Everyone voted among tribal lines with the exception of Zayn, and while I definitely think Jacinda probably is more deserving considering she actually didn't get voted out ever, Vanessa's closing statement was a really good moment that captured why people would want to vote for her. I must say that Zayn's vote was suuuuuch bull**** though. He was mad at Jacinda for betraying him and Gareth even though he betrayed her first and she was just trying to act out of self-preservation. Oh well, I don't care enough about Jacinda or Vanessa to get REALLY mad about it, but it's dumb and hypocritical.

1. Brigitte (MORN grumpy model who overstayed her welcome soooooo much <3 on Survivor US she would've been the second boot in a "let's boot Brigitte to weaken Sam" bull**** move but in Survivor SA she ingratiated herself after the Sam boot, made it to the merge, and then was able to thrive on Dead Man's Island. Definitely my fave for the season but I wish her edit was a liiiiitle more N tbh)
2. Mzi (a fun CPP underdog? I would've been CONVINCED that he was winning if I wasn't spoiled. I thought he was a fun character who gave good confessionals and honestly Survivor SA doesn't do CPP too often but I think I always end up liking the CPP edits so even though his strip looks a little obnoxious it really wasn't at all)
3. Nico (okay so I don't think he's QUITE as good as he was hyped up to be because his strip was closer to toneless than I was expecting, but he was a fun narrator who cockroached his way through the second half of the premerge well. I'm still baffled at how he managed to sneak cigarettes, coffee beans, and lighters onto the island )
4. Ncumisa (she randomly was a CPP underdog warrior who seemed like she was going to have an AMAZING journey to be like a finale fallen angel or something... and then she got booted the next episode )
5. Lezel (I was digging her more premerge when she was like obnoxiously CP, and then out of NOWHERE it turned into a CPN edit postmerge but honestly it didn't really do much for me? I did alol at the one scene where she was like "the tribe has misrepresentations of me after the last TC, I'm going to do damage control today and mend those relationships" and then it immediately cut to her and Zayn screaming at each other in an argument and Zayn literally running away from her I feel like we should've gotten more though because Aguila HAAAAATED her when she got to Dead Man's Island)
6. Danielle (initial tribe outcast whom was HATED for bringing the mood and the energy down who turns her public opinion around by being a workhorse around camp is an EXCELLENT premiere storyline but then it kinda went nowhere she seemed like a lot of fun but after the premiere she just kinda turned into a MORfun narrator. Like, I was happy that she worked her way into her tribe's good graces but it kinda killed her storyline tbh)

7. Jacinda (I think she really could've been something without a MORboring edit. Respected tribe leader who was kinda brashly arrogant while giving TC answers about how everyone on her tribe LOVES her so she feels like she's doing them a service by being the leader. I kinda didn't like how stank she was but then she became such background noise during the merge that it just made no sense. It guess it worked in that I was kinda disappointed that she lost? She's solely this high for reading Zayn for filth when he was being a contradictory hypocrite about wanting to keep Mzi for being a threat but booting Vanessa for being a threat)
8. Vanessa (she was completely nonexistent in the premerge and then she was kind of a cute underdog post-merge? But not in any sort of remarkable way alol her being the very first winner of the franchise is hilariously absurd and ridiculous but I'm not exactly mad about it)
9. Sanele (was cute and nice and almost drowned during the marooning and then hurt his shoulder badly enough where he had to get medevaced so it was sad but then I didn't care)
10. Gareth (I feel like he could've been better if his edit wasn't just MORboring. He was a golden boy who didn't really get much focus outside of narration once the merge started so it was bizarre)
11. Sam (he was fine? A random BIG PRESENCE in the premiere who seemed like he could've been a fun narrator but then just turned into a bizarre OTTN alpha douche)
12. Jude (her quit was kinda sad and cute but then she left and I didn't care)
13. Don (I loled when he got voted out for doing nothing around camp and just sitting there picking at his nails)

14. Zayn (annoying waste of space who refused to play the game and called of his alliances "agreements" so he's basically a dumb hypocrite)

Definitely a watchable season but I was a little disappointed tbh! I went in expecting to love this season and find Malaysia a drag but if anything I found the opposite to be true :3 like that cast rnaking was kinda hard honestly and even my people in green I didn't feel THAT passionately about oops. My season ranking is probably something like...

6 > 2 > 5 > 7 > 1 > 4 > 3

I think? On another given day I could switch 5&7 and/or 1&4 but I'm dead set on my top two and my bottom one. Not at all how I was expecting to have the franchise ranked when I finished but I guess that's why you watch shows for yourself and form your own opinions!

Spoiler tagging my winners compilation edgic chart in case people want to remain unspoiled, as well as my every player ever compilation edgic chart just bc it's ****ing huge

Winners:
Spoiler:

Overalls:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Macie Lightfoot; 18-10-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 AM #2247
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

ALSO, I need to say that I wasn't really sold on Mark as a host but after watching the Panama Reunion, omg he needs to be brought back to host the awkwardness. Here's some evidence:

Quote:
Mark: Were there any challenges you enjoyed?
Danielle: ..no.
Mark: Succinct and to the point, thanks Danielle! Saving all of your zaniness for off-cameras as always.
Quote:
Mark: Brigitte, you were on Dead Man's Island for seven days, two of which your were by yourself I don't think you got to eat at all during those two days. How bad was it?
Brigitte: As I've said to you many times before Mark, it was crap. How many times do I have to say it?
Mark: ...k this is live TV and you're not helping me, thank you very much.
Quote:
Mark: Danielle, a lot of people don't know that we were in junior school together but I didn't even recognize you when you showed up to the reward challenge with all of those bug bites!
Danielle:
Mark: Okay, thank you once again! Good to have you on the show Brigitte, wearing those buffs around your faces to protect you from the bugs, was that effective?
Brigitte: I never did that you should ask someone who did
Mark: Thanks guys, that's fantastic
Quote:
Mark: Gareth, watching the show back, did you realize how badly you'd been played by the women in the tribe?
Gareth: We went into what we thought was the final three two men up, so I don't see how we were played by the women
Mark: You don't agree with that?
Gareth: Not at all.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:27 PM #2248

Any Survivor fans still around? I can’t even remember how long ago it was I finished Cook Islands (must have been a couple of years at least), but I'm back, and I’ve just whizzed through my first watch of Fiji.

I wouldn’t even know where to start in describing how I felt about this season, and I don’t know if it’s merely because I dipped out of the series for a short while, but I just felt so disconnected with Fiji as a whole. The final tribal council was confusing to say the least because it seemed as though everyone was fairly supportive of Dreamz up until that point, so I can only assume Yau-Man spilled all the beans overnight or something because they were all suddenly extremely angry and bitter. I wish they’d show more of the jury.

I can’t say I was particularly fussed about this final three but at the same time, I can’t imagine which of the jurors I’d have preferred to be there except for Michelle (who was my favourite by far).

I’d love to know what you guys all thought… perhaps hearing other people’s opinions would allow me to gather a more solid one of my own. I’m about to begin the reunion now so don’t tell me who won for at least 10-15 minutes…
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:13 PM #2249

Well, I've done my research and it appears I'm not the only one who thought Fiji was bad. So that's a relief - I thought I was missing something.

Cast Ranking:
Spoiler:

1. Michelle
  2. Sylvia
  3. Dreamz
  4. Boo
  5. Yau-Man
  6. Erica
  7. Earl
  8. Cassandra
  9. Stacy
  10. Anthony
  11. Liliana
  12. Rita
  13. Edgardo
  14. Jessica
  15. Gary
  16. Rocky
  17. Mookie
  18. Alex
  19. Lisi

Season Ranking:
Spoiler:

1. Panama
  2. The Amazon
  3. Borneo
  4. Pearl Islands
  5. Africa
  6. Cook Islands
  7. Australia
  8. Guatemala
  9. Marquesas
  10. All-Stars
  11. Palau
  12. Vanuatu
  13. Thailand
  14. Fiji

Interested to see what 15 has in store, I don't even know what the season is called yet, but 15 seems like a prominent enough number so All-Star cast perhaps? I guess we'll find out in a bit

Last edited by Ashley.; 07-05-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:56 AM #2250

Although the China cast are probably one of my favourite casts in the entire series, it's a shame the "look at how diverse we can be and how accepting we are of people from different backgrounds" act only lasted for one season after Cook Islands. I mean, the majority of the Fiji cast were for the most part extremely misogynistic and homophobic, but still... It seemed like Fiji only existed to make everyone believe that they didn't just choose to be inclusive for the sake of a one season-long twist.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
survivor, thread, watch or rewatch