Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 PM #51
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I wholeheartedly believe in freedom of speech, so long as it is within the law.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:25 PM #52
Witch

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek
Witch

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Hey Dollface, I'm really pissed off to hear that. I do understand, but you should post if you really feel strongly about something even if you post about everything but terrorism then. Just proves what I'm being lambasted for by some on here; that some 'ordinary' Muslims do support terrorist bastards.

I hope the twat that threatened you gets struck down with a lightening bolt and rots in hell.
Thanks kirk I hope she rots in hell too, vile woman. (i do like to hold a grudge )
Dollface is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:34 PM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Hey Dollface, I'm really pissed off to hear that. I do understand, but you should post if you really feel strongly about something even if you post about everything but terrorism then. Just proves what I'm being lambasted for by some on here; that some 'ordinary' Muslims do support terrorist bastards.

I hope the twat that threatened you gets struck down with a lightening bolt and rots in hell.
I really haven't seen you lambasted on here Kirk, Points have been debated, if you participate and put your views out there, then you must expect at least some opposition, that is how it is for everybody not just you.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:49 AM #54
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I wholeheartedly believe in freedom of speech, so long as it is within the law.
So if the law was changed tomorrow and made free speech a thing of the past, you would "support" the tiny piece (or zero?) free speech left?

That's not really any sort of "freedom" of any kind, is it Livia...

I would agree if you were just saying "within reason", i.e. Not crossing an obvious moral line, but bringing something so vague and changeable as "the law" into it negates any hint of autonomy. "Of course you are free, you're free to do absolutely anything that Bob says you're allowed to do."
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 PM #55
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
So if the law was changed tomorrow and made free speech a thing of the past, you would "support" the tiny piece (or zero?) free speech left?

That's not really any sort of "freedom" of any kind, is it Livia...

I would agree if you were just saying "within reason", i.e. Not crossing an obvious moral line, but bringing something so vague and changeable as "the law" into it negates any hint of autonomy. "Of course you are free, you're free to do absolutely anything that Bob says you're allowed to do."
I'm a lawyer TS. That's why I feel qualified to say that I believe in freedom of speech within the law. So your post is just "ifs" and "ands".
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 PM #56
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

I believe in freedom of speech under the following conditions:

- the person does not deliberately harass someone
- the person does not make threats (eg. saying they will stab someone or blow up a building)
- the person does not deliberately try to discriminate against a person or group of people
- the person does not incite hatred of any kind purposefully.
- the person does not try to pass laws or speak in support of those which would discriminate against a group of people or person.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:06 PM #57
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

closed for cleaning

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 12-01-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:22 PM #58
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Kirk and TS please don't continue this argument on when I reopen or you will be infracted

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 13-01-2015, 02:09 PM #59
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'Popular messaging services like Snapchat and WhatsApp are in the cross hairs in Britain.

That was the message delivered on Monday by Prime Minister David Cameron, who said he would pursue banning encrypted messaging services if Britain’s intelligence services were not given access to the communications.'

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...ing-apps/?_r=0
Old 13-01-2015, 04:23 PM #60
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Kirk and TS please don't continue this argument on when I reopen or you will be infracted
It was old news 2 days ago Niamh! But no matter, I enjoy the commanding tone
Old 13-01-2015, 04:27 PM #61
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
'Popular messaging services like Snapchat and WhatsApp are in the cross hairs in Britain.

That was the message delivered on Monday by Prime Minister David Cameron, who said he would pursue banning encrypted messaging services if Britain’s intelligence services were not given access to the communications.'

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...ing-apps/?_r=0
Yeah saw this last night. If anyone was looking for reasons that Western powers might engage in the encouragement of false flag terrorism: there is your answer. They've wanted to do this for years, no one wants it, so convenient "matter of life and death" reasons start to present themselves and all of a sudden it's;

"Oh well, erosion of civil liberties is bad of course, but THE TERRORISTS! So We'll just have to accept it. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about . What do you mean you don't want a thought reading brain chip implanted in your child's head at birth? How suspicious! You must be planning to turn them into an evil terrorist!!"
Old 13-01-2015, 06:04 PM #62

Irrational scare-mongering put aside where it belongs, there is only one thing wrong with Cameron's proposition - it does not go far enough.

The world is changing, becoming more violent and degenerate with each day, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

All babies born in the UK should be fingerprinted and have their DNA taken. These should then be stored on a National computer similar to HOLMES.

This will enable the police to quickly identify future murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of future suspected terrorists.

All other citizens of the UK should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

This will enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

All immigrants to the UK should should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

This will enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and also enable them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

All visitors to the UK should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

The Identity Cards should be retrieved by Customs Officers upon the visitors exiting the UK and filed. This will enable any absconders to be instantly noticed, instead of them merely disappearing into the ether as currently, and will also result in the precise numbers of absconders being known instead of the 'finger in the wind' estimates currently trotted out.

This will also enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

We all have a duty to help those who who daily put their lives on the line to both protect us from our enemies, and maintain the security of this country, and no sane, rational, law-abiding person who is loyal to this country and appreciative of the democratic freedoms it affords, should object to the above measures.

It is not a precursor to any Orwellian dystopian nightmare future, nor the first step on a slippery road to fascism, it is a scheme of necessary and overdue measures to ensure our survival in an increasingly violent world and 'cliched' or not, only those with something to hide will object.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 13-01-2015 at 06:08 PM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:53 PM #63
-

-

If I didn't fear that Niamhey might spank me, I might be tempted to point out the Irony in stating that irrational scare mongering should be put aside, and then posting a boat load of irrational scare mongering.

I also might point out that if we were to take DNA samples and fingerprints from everyone entering the UK, then no one would enter the UK if they had any choice, and our economy would crumble over night.

I might also agree that it wouldn't be a precursor to an Orwellian nightmare. It would just BE an Orwellian nightmare.

But I do fear Niamh so I will just leave it well alone.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 13-01-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 13-01-2015, 08:54 PM #64
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Default Freedom of Speech

Quote:
It was old news 2 days ago Niamh! But no matter, I enjoy the commanding tone

It wasn't actually Kirk had just posted when I deleted it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Niamh.; 13-01-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:09 PM #65
User banned

User banned

within the law and within fair laws and the laws must be applied equally which theyre not. the muslim radicals have gotten away with inciteful hate for years and women have endlessly more rights of freedom of speech than men in the UK. Also we have allowed the jewish people to bring in some of their own laws to the UK which again is wrong. it must be one law for all applied equally.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 05:54 AM #66

Quote:
If I didn't fear that Niamhey might spank me, I might be tempted to point out the Irony in stating that irrational scare mongering should be put aside, and then posting a boat load of irrational scare mongering.

I also might point out that if we were to take DNA samples and fingerprints from everyone entering the UK, then no one would enter the UK if they had any choice, and our economy would crumble over night.

I might also agree that it wouldn't be a precursor to an Orwellian nightmare. It would just BE an Orwellian nightmare.

But I do fear Niamh so I will just leave it well alone.
[QUOTE=Toy Soldier;7479541]

Why? If we adhere to the rules why fear Niamh's intervention? Unless you feel that you cannot keep within the rules?

Anyway, I must respond to your posts but I welcome Niamh's scrutiny because I am intent on adhering to the rules in favour of legitimate, intelligent debate:

A) "Yeah saw this last night. If anyone was looking for reasons that Western powers might engage in the encouragement of false flag terrorism: there is your answer. They've wanted to do this for years, no one wants it, so convenient "matter of life and death" reasons start to present themselves and all of a sudden it's;"

B) "Oh well, erosion of civil liberties is bad of course, but THE TERRORISTS! So We'll just have to accept it. If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about . What do you mean you don't want a thought reading brain chip implanted in your child's head at birth? How suspicious! You must be planning to turn them into an evil terrorist!!"

The above is nothing more than irrational scare-mongering by any criterion.

In A) it is inferred that our government and our Western allies have been in collusion for a long time with a sinister plan to 'encourage' 'false-flag terrorism'. As is usual, no proof is given of course to substantiate this totally ludicrous piece of anti-democratic propaganda.

No substantiating evidence is given either to validate the ridiculous sweeping presumption that "No one wants it", because this is simply not true. The majority of sane, rational, peace-loving citizens of any Western Democracy will welcome any measure which helps protect their freedom and put an end to the terrorist slaughter of innocent lives.

As for the statements in B), well these are straight from the pages of a cheap science fiction story for juveniles and are an example of irrational scare-mongering at its worst;

"What do you mean you don't want a thought reading brain chip implanted in your child's head at birth? How suspicious! You must be planning to turn them into an evil terrorist!!"

First of all, the technology does not exist to create a "thought reading brain chip" (whatever gizmo that may be) and the very notion that any Western democratic government would be complicit in "implanting" such a 'device' into babies heads at birth is hysterical.

Of course, all the above simplistic and ludicrous 'alarmist' statements are posted without any substantiating grounds or evidence, whereas there are very genuine reasons for our governments proposition that the owners of social media sites should be compelled - by legislation if necessary - to 'police' their sites and to report relevant suspicious usage, because terrorists cells have been using social media to communicate with other terrorist cells increasingly over the past few years. Sometimes in plain speech and sometimes with 'encrypted' messages.

Indeed, the Islamic Fundamentalist murderers of poor Lee Rigby had openly made threats to murder on Facebook in November, before going on to execute him in cold-blood in London in 2013, yet the owners of Facebook did not notify our Security and Intelligence Services of such threats, and perhaps if they had, then these UK based cowardly terrorists may have been placed under surveillance and Lee Rigby's callous death prevented.

Who could possibly protest against the measures being proposed by Cameron? Our National Security and the prevention of the slaughter of innocent people should be above all political bias, and certainly beyond infantile and irrational 'scare-mongering'.

Now with the greatest of respect I come to your response to my post:

C) "If I didn't fear that Niamhey might spank me, I might be tempted to point out the Irony in stating that irrational scare mongering should be put aside, and then posting a boat load of irrational scare mongering."

If you post a counter opinion of my post without personal attack - as I have done above - then why fear any intervention by Niamh? This is a forum for 'Serious Debate'.

Anyway, onto the very grave fallacy in the statements you make in A) above;

There is no 'irony' in my statement that "irrational scare mongering should be put aside", because your statements regarding our governments collusion with our Western Allies in some 'conspiracy to "encourage 'false flag' terrorism' is irrefutably silly 'scare mongering', as is your warning of technologically impossible "thought reading brain chips" being forcibly implanted into all babies brains at birth, yet my proposals that ID cards should be mandatory along with DNA and fingerprinting as detailed in my post is neither 'scare mongering' nor technologically impossible, and are measures which are both necessary and long overdue.

And of course, as always, I do not contend or propose without giving sound, logical reasons for doing so.

D) "I also might point out that if we were to take DNA samples and fingerprints from everyone entering the UK, then no one would enter the UK if they had any choice, and our economy would crumble over night."

Your statements in D) above are sadly but more unsubstantiated scare mongering, and simply not true.

1) It takes aprox 15 minutes to take a photograph, fingerprints and a DNA swab.

2) If such a process were to be introduced, then the infrastructure has to be put into place, and such a process would not simply be 'thrust' onto visitors to the UK without warning. It would be advertised well in advance so that potential visitors to the UK would be forewarned and given ample time to acclimatise themselves to the procedure.

3) Decent, law-abiding, peace-loving people would readily accept the need for such a brief procedure and would plan their travel details accordingly, only the politically biased, the anti-western democratic, or those with 'something to hide' would perhaps stay out of the UK in protest, and that would be a good and great thing.

4) In today's high tech world, most serious business is conducted via other means than 'face to face' meetings by briefcase toting men in bowler hats and pin stripes, but serious business people whose business is legitimate would not shirk at undergoing the proposed security procedures anyway, so where is your corroborating evidence for irrationally stating that; "our economy would crumble over night."?
E) "I might also agree that it wouldn't be a precursor to an Orwellian nightmare. It would just BE an Orwellian nightmare."

It would not be a nightmare at all - 'Orwellian' or otherwise. It would be a huge preventative part of a remedy to address a nightmare which is already here and becoming pandemic - terrorism.

Is an inoculation jab against flu, malaria, polio, or any other disease the nightmare? Or is it a very necessary, preventative measure against the diseases which are the nightmare? Does the 10 to 15 minutes that such a procedure takes up prevent people from participating in inoculation schemes?

The answer to the last question is a resounding 'No'.

Well, given that terrorism is yet another disease, but one spread by insane monsters, then any preventative measures orchestrated by our leaders to prevent it and ultimately aid in defeating it, will surely be welcomed by any sane, rational, peace-loving person on the planet no matter what race, religion, creed or colour.

If you disagree with my contentions, then that is your democratic right on a discussion forum, but I ask only that you do so intelligently, without making unsubstantiated statements or bringing personal elements into any response.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 14-01-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 14-01-2015, 07:03 AM #67
-

-

OK, what I'm starting to learn here, is that I shouldn't assume that everyone will understand a point made using hyperbole. When I talk about them "implanting chips in brains" I am exaggerating - what I am really talking about is exactly what you've described. Sampling and cataloguing everyone's DNA and fingerprints. That is the non-sci fi equivalent of it, surely, and who knows what the technology of tomorrow will make possible? Honestly, if we allow your suggestion, the idea that one day children might be microchipped and GPS tracked from birth is not scare mongering, it is entirely possible. After all, why wouldn't we allow every possible measure?

I do think that you are also being presumptuous in saying that any decent law abiding citizen would happily accept these measures. Some would, but many wouldn't. It's an invasion of privacy and an erosion of freedom. How can you advocate removing freedom to protect freedom? Where does it end?

Obviously there are no official figures on the effect on tourism because, thankfully, no Country has ever imposed such intrusive measures on its visitors. However, to give some actual figures, inbound tourism is worth over Ł120 billion per year to the United Kingdom and that is projected to rise to over Ł250 billion in the next 15 years. If even just half of those people were to decide to go elsewhere because of extreme security measures here then it would blow an absolutely massive hole in our economy. I am utterly convinced that many people would be put off coming here, to state that no one would or that only criminals would is completely false... You have absolutely no evidence for this, either, so I can only assume that you Base it on what you generally know about people. And I know that many, many decent law abiding freedom loving people would be very hesitant to enter a country engaging in these measures. To state that there would be no cost is a lie. Not to mention the cost of implementing such a massive scheme in the first place!
Old 14-01-2015, 08:28 AM #68

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Irrational scare-mongering put aside where it belongs, there is only one thing wrong with Cameron's proposition - it does not go far enough.

The world is changing, becoming more violent and degenerate with each day, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

All babies born in the UK should be fingerprinted and have their DNA taken. These should then be stored on a National computer similar to HOLMES.

This will enable the police to quickly identify future murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of future suspected terrorists.

All other citizens of the UK should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

This will enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

All immigrants to the UK should should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

This will enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and also enable them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

All visitors to the UK should be issued with Identity Cards complete with photogaph. They should also have their fingerprints taken and their DNA taken. These should be stored with a copy of their photograph on the same computer as above.

The Identity Cards should be retrieved by Customs Officers upon the visitors exiting the UK and filed. This will enable any absconders to be instantly noticed, instead of them merely disappearing into the ether as currently, and will also result in the precise numbers of absconders being known instead of the 'finger in the wind' estimates currently trotted out.

This will also enable the police to quickly identify murderers and criminals who leave DNA traces behind, and assist them to rapidly apprehend them, as well as greatly assisting the Security and Intelligence Services to keep track of the movements of suspected terrorists.

We all have a duty to help those who who daily put their lives on the line to both protect us from our enemies, and maintain the security of this country, and no sane, rational, law-abiding person who is loyal to this country and appreciative of the democratic freedoms it affords, should object to the above measures.

It is not a precursor to any Orwellian dystopian nightmare future, nor the first step on a slippery road to fascism, it is a scheme of necessary and overdue measures to ensure our survival in an increasingly violent world and 'cliched' or not, only those with something to hide will object.
A very depressing view of one possible future Kirk, if we go down that road then why not really start to use all technologies at our disposal.

Lets have everybody in the Country go to a polling booth to vote at the next election and whilst there we can have you receive a bar code tattoo which contains all your relevant data. This then could act as a permanent ID card which would in fact speed things up at Airports etc.

All newborns can be microchipped so they can be monitored at all times, these chips can be designed to include ways to cause pain so people could be punished very quickly if they stepped out of line.

We could root out all illegal immigrants by stopping and bar scanning masses of people at random, the ones who were not legal could be taken away and put into internment camps and/or tortured then deported.

Terrorism now would be practically eliminated as the movements of everybody could be analysed and with ALL communications monitored the terrorist would have no real chance to even get into the Country let alone planning an attack.

We would have an obedient,compliant,quiet population of God fearing,hard working people but they would be but one step up from zombies, a sort of Stepford Population with practically no crime...

Nirvana, Shangri la....actually no that is NOT the sort of future I would ever want to live in.

Old 14-01-2015, 08:52 AM #69

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Sorry can't agree with this.I have nothing at all to hide but this is too far.If we as a nation have to resort to finger printing our children as they are born and having to carry ID cards around then the terrorists have won already.They want to scare us into losing our freedoms and that would be exactly what they would have done if this was implemented.As TS said that would be an Orwellian dystopian nightmare.No government should have that much control over our freedoms.They are here to serve us.Next thing gradually it would become 'necessary for our security' to put trackers in those ID cards and then chips in UK babies with trackers in and so on.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 14-01-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 09:35 AM #70

Quote: =Toy Soldier;7482879]"OK, what I'm starting to learn here, is that I shouldn't assume that everyone will understand a point made using hyperbole. When I talk about them "implanting chips in brains" I am exaggerating - what I am really talking about is exactly what you've described."

Well perhaps it may be more prudent then, to suitably identify hyperbole, instead of passing it off as serious comment in a response to a very seriously constructed post, made in earnest, on a very serious subject, on a 'Serious Debate' thread.

"Sampling and cataloguing everyone's DNA and fingerprints. That is the non-sci fi equivalent of it, surely, and who knows what the technology of tomorrow will make possible? Honestly, if we allow your suggestion, the idea that one day children might be microchipped and GPS tracked from birth is not scare mongering, it is entirely possible. After all, why wouldn't we allow every possible measure?"

No, you are categorically wrong; DNA and Fingerprinting as proposed in my post are relatively non-intrusive 'external' processes taking up very little time and causing the minimum of inconvenience to people undergoing such a process, whereas, the 'thought reading brain chip implant' which you propose as the equivalent - hyperbole or not - is a very invasive surgical procedure involving quite a lengthy process.

"I do think that you are also being presumptuous in saying that any decent law abiding citizen would happily accept these measures. Some would, but many wouldn't. It's an invasion of privacy and an erosion of freedom. How can you advocate removing freedom to protect freedom? Where does it end?"

A fair point about presumption, but I stand by my 'presumption' that "any decent law abiding citizen would happily accept these measures" as being far more accurate than your original 'presumption that; "no one want it" because my presumption is based on the logic that the majority of such type of people would suffer a small inconvenience, and sacrifice a small non-invasive amount of 'personal freedom', for the cause of the greater good in restricting terrorism and helping to more quickly catch sexual murderers and other killers, in addition to preventing further terrorist slaughter of innocents.

Some decent law abiding people - as you so rightly state - may not willingly accept such measures, but like those who also do not through political bias or 'hidden agendas', then they are in a minority and will just have to accept such measures if they are UK resident, or will not have to enter the country if they are not.

As for; "... erosion of freedom. How can you advocate removing freedom to protect freedom? Where does it end?"

It's all a matter of degrees and necessity. Sometimes, when a tree is being attacked by disease, prudent gardeners carry out certain necessary measures to save it. These measures often include 'hard pruning' to remove already diseased parts of the tree, in tandem with a regime of regular spraying with fungicide/insecticide as a preventative measure against further attack.

Sometimes, sick people undertake a course of antibiotics to fight infection and prevent further infection and have to sacrifice drinking alcohol whilst doing so, in order to beat the disease and regain their health.

'Quid Pro Quo' - and such measures as proposed in my post are but small sacrifices in order to beat serious violent crime and even more serious and violent terrorism.

"Obviously there are no official figures on the effect on tourism because, thankfully, no Country has ever imposed such intrusive measures on its visitors. However, to give some actual figures, inbound tourism is worth over Ł120 billion per year to the United Kingdom and that is projected to rise to over Ł250 billion in the next 15 years. If even just half of those people were to decide to go elsewhere because of extreme security measures here then it would blow an absolutely massive hole in our economy. I am utterly convinced that many people would be put off coming here, to state that no one would or that only criminals would is completely false... You have absolutely no evidence for this, either, so I can only assume that you Base it on what you generally know about people. And I know that many, many decent law abiding freedom loving people would be very hesitant to enter a country engaging in these measures. To state that there would be no cost is a lie. Not to mention the cost of implementing such a massive scheme in the first place."

Well, in the first place, I feel that you are not taking into account the very real slump in tourism during times of escalated terrorist outrages in the UK, as in the IRA bombings to major cities and other incidents.

Then there is the very real fact that people - including tourists - are intimidated by terrorist bombings and murderous rampages, so when -- 'When' not if -- such terrorist activities commence in the UK, then we will see a very real fall in tourism revenue as tourists stay away in fear. Who now in the UK will book holidays in the Lebanon? Afghanistan? Syria?

In addition, when you state that: "extreme security measures" "will blow a massive hole in our economy", lack of adequate security measures which keep pace with the growing reality of terrorism, will result in more than just "a massive hole being blown in our economy" - it will see massive holes being blown in our cities and in the innocent people who reside in them.

As for: "the cost of implementing such a massive scheme in the first place." the initial cost of putting the infrastructure in place is negligible in comparison to the costs saved by preventing crime and terrorism , but it is against the saving of lives where the cost of such measures should be weighed, not to mention the price we may ultimately have to pay without such measures - the UK in the control of Islamic Fundamentalists and life under Sharia Law for those of us not beheaded.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 14-01-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 14-01-2015, 09:48 AM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballPaul View Post
Sorry can't agree with this.I have nothing at all to hide but this is too far.If we as a nation have to resort to finger printing our children as they are born and having to carry ID cards around then the terrorists have won already.They want to scare us into losing our freedoms and that would be exactly what they would have done if this was implemented.As TS said that would be an Orwellian dystopian nightmare.No government should have that much control over our freedoms.They are here to serve us.Next thing gradually it would become 'necessary for our security' to put trackers in those ID cards and then chips in UK babies with trackers in and so on.
You are of course within your rights to disagree, Paul, but for the record; T.S. was quoting my phrase in 'Orwellian dystopian nightmare', and I disagree that 'trackers' would be necessary in photo ID Cards where proper monitoring was in place and a proper system which affords instant verification of such cards , be it via fixed electronic devices at airports and Custom points, or via mobile hand held devices issued to our police and security services.

The 'thought reading brain chips implanted in babies heads' is just preposterous infantile nonsense. Sorry.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 14-01-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 14-01-2015, 10:05 AM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
A very depressing view of one possible future Kirk, if we go down that road then why not really start to use all technologies at our disposal.

Lets have everybody in the Country go to a polling booth to vote at the next election and whilst there we can have you receive a bar code tattoo which contains all your relevant data. This then could act as a permanent ID card which would in fact speed things up at Airports etc.

All newborns can be microchipped so they can be monitored at all times, these chips can be designed to include ways to cause pain so people could be punished very quickly if they stepped out of line.

We could root out all illegal immigrants by stopping and bar scanning masses of people at random, the ones who were not legal could be taken away and put into internment camps and/or tortured then deported.

Terrorism now would be practically eliminated as the movements of everybody could be analysed and with ALL communications monitored the terrorist would have no real chance to even get into the Country let alone planning an attack.

We would have an obedient,compliant,quiet population of God fearing,hard working people but they would be but one step up from zombies, a sort of Stepford Population with practically no crime...

Nirvana, Shangri la....actually no that is NOT the sort of future I would ever want to live in.

I'm sorry Nedusa, that we seem to be in agreement with a lot of things, but not on this.

Perhaps, I have done a great disservice to Cameron by posting my views, because I have deflected attention away from the real reasons why I posted - people's opposition to Cameron's proposals to impose certain duties on the owners of 'social media sites' regarding terrorist usage of those sites. Now, unfortunately, those people are 'off the hook'.

Coming back to your post Nedusa, you are extraordinarily stretching what I proposed into the most terrifying visions of a dystopian nightmare future without any valid reason for justifying such a leap of fancy.

I can't help but notice too, that your stance on terrorism and immigration seems to have swung from one extreme to the other, which is mystifying.

Anyway, though I respect your right to oppose my views, I stand firm, and would say that, there are two alternative visions of the future; the very improbable one detailed by T.S., yourself and Paul, which has little basis in fact based on my proposals, and the even more terrifying future of continued and escalated slaughter of innocents by terrorists, the continued and increasing attacks on our democratic way of life, or even the unthinkable ultimate nightmare - the UK controlled by Islamic Fundamentalists and its previously free citizens living under Sharia Law, or rather those who have not already been beheaded.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 14-01-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 14-01-2015, 10:13 AM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You are of course within your rights to disagree, Paul, but for the record; T.S. was quoting my phrase in 'Orwellian dystopian nightmare', and I disagree that 'trackers' would be necessary in photo ID Cards where proper monitoring was in place and a proper system which affords instant verification of such cards , be it via fixed electronic devices at airports and Custom points, or via mobile hand held devices issued to our police and security services.

The 'thought reading brain chips implanted in babies heads is just preposterous infantile nonsense. Sorry.
It is infantile nonsense now and 'thought reading chips' is far fetched but implants with tracking devices is less sci-fi and is only a few steps away from trackers in ID cards.But the more freedoms we gradually lose the more accepted more measures will be until we reach the nightmare that you speak of.Gradual more invasive measures each time pushing the boundries of acceptance until we're fecked.In politics things never get reversed no matter who's in power.Once one government brings in a policy,The next one no matter how they preach against their predocessors won't reverse it as they can reep the benefits and deny responsibility for its existence.Personally i don't want to be tracked wherever i go and i don't want my kids to be or their kids.That is not freedom and is giving in to terrorism.Imo.
They tested out the idea of ID cards a few years back.They just threw it out there to see the public response and it did'nt go down well.People don't want to be forced to produce them everywhere they go.I think it is a slippery slope and we the public have to let our governments know when we believe they are going too far.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 14-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:18 AM #74
-

-

Just a quick thread derail kirk: if we're going to be posting on the same threads about these issues and adhering to the rules as suggested by Niamh, then I would greatly appreciate it if you reign in some of how you express things, even if it's in relation to the argument and not intended to be personal.

I understand that there are many things that we're never going to see eye to eye on and I have absolutely no problem with disagreement, but at the moment, it certainly feels a little bit personal.

I don't mind that if I can respond in kind or at least have a bit of fun with it as we were before, but where that isn't possible, I'd prefer to keep the debates a little more civil.

Specifically, I am referring to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster
just preposterous infantile nonsense. Sorry.
Again I don't have a problem with you thinking that the analogy is an exaggeration too far and saying so (I am well aware that I have a tenancy to over-exaggerate when making a point), and I don't even have a problem with your phrasing IF the circumstances allow that sort of back-and-forth, I do enjoy the sport. But we have been asked to stop so I feel like I have to say that in this situation, there's really no need for you to phrase your disagreement in ways that could be inflammatory.

In return, I can promise to refrain from using extreme hyperbole in these sorts of threads.

I very much enjoy engaging in these threads on TiBB and I can see the moderators stance on this where things going this way is putting other people off when it comes to participating, and that's not really fair.

Im going on a bit but thought it needed saying. I hope it's taken in the spirit it's intended.
Old 14-01-2015, 10:32 AM #75

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm sorry Nedusa, that we seem to be in agreement with a lot of things, but not on this.

Perhaps, I have done a great disservice to Cameron by posting my views, because I have deflected attention away from the real reasons why I posted - people's opposition to Cameron's proposals to impose certain duties on the owners of 'social media sites' regarding terrorist usage of those sites. Now, unfortunately, those people are 'off the hook'.

Coming back to your post Nedusa, you are extraordinarily stretching what I proposed into the most terrifying visions of a dystopian nightmare future without any valid reason for justifying such a leap of fancy.

I can't help but notice too, that your stance on terrorism and immigration seems to have swung from one extreme to the other, which is mystifying.

Anyway, though I respect your right to oppose my views, I stand firm, and would say that, there are two alternative visions of the future; the very improbable one detailed by T.S., yourself and Paul, which has little basis in fact based on my proposals, and the even more terrifying future of continued and escalated slaughter of innocents by terrorists, the continued and increasing attacks on our democratic way of life, or even the unthinkable ultimate nightmare - the UK controlled by Islamic Fundamentalists and its previously free citizens living under Sharia Law, or rather those who have not already been beheaded.
Kirk, I actually agree some of what you suggest may have to be implemented in order to try and avoid the situation that is happening in France, but I wanted to show where that kind of control eventually goes.

It's not that much of a leap from what you suggest to what I listed. and I would still prefer to take my chances with the terrorists than live in that kind of Dystopian nightmare...thank you very much

And i'm sorry if my stance on terrorism is "mystifying" to you, I have not changed my views one inch in fact I posted earlier on a another thread where I re-iterated my anger re Islam in general.

What I have had to do however, is re-state my desire to welcome the so called peaceful majority if they can express more solidarity with their Christian brothers. also I don't want to be seen as Anti-Muslim per se as then my posts could be seen as inflammatory and interpretated as hate speech which they are not.

My views on this subject should be quite clear now for all to see.

Also I recently received an infraction from TiBB for one of my more straight talking replies to one poster who was attacking my post by suggesting the french cartoonists deserved to die.

So although this is a great Forum to debate issues we have to keep a sense of perspective and not become too emotional or aggressive or obsessive in our posts.

Hope you can see this.

Last edited by Nedusa; 14-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
freedom, speech