Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB15 Celebrity Big Brother 2015 (CBB15) was shown January 2015 on CH5, and the winner was Katie Price. Discuss the series here.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 PM #1

Default House Design

Hey Guys,

I'm a architecture student studying the big brother house for my post graduate thesis. Studying the house from a designers point of view is very interesting as it is a space designed specifically to create social tensions for entertainment.

I have seen that a lot of people on here have designed there own houses and posted them on the forum.

In your opinions what are the features within the existing house which encourage these social tensions/spark moments. And what spaces could be introduced to create more.

For example the existing tree house snug encourages bitchiness.
ArchStudent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:27 PM #2

Tensions arise from the living space being so open.

There are really only two main rooms within the house, the bedroom and living space so during the day theres very limited ways to get away from each other.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:33 PM #3
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

The bedrooms seem to be getting smaller - that is a huge factor in rows I think. The cooking areas in the kitchen aren't huge considering the number of people using them.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM #4

The main thing I have noticed in BB house design over the years is the clash of colours and patterns in furnishings. It makes for a very discordant atmosphere.
The best one I remember was where they had loads of books. That's my ideal design, I could quite happily live in an old fashioned library.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:55 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
The main thing I have noticed in BB house design over the years is the clash of colours and patterns in furnishings. It makes for a very discordant atmosphere.
The best one I remember was where they had loads of books. That's my ideal design, I could quite happily live in an old fashioned library.
for example the themes of each season. I have felt that this years theme twisted fairy tale and how this is interpreted within the house as a form of interior decoration has played a part in the atmosphere within the house.

if the house were to be designed more homely and recognisable contestants would relax but if the setting is unfamiliar they will feel uncomfortable and on edge/can't relax.
ArchStudent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 PM #6

Having one toilet and shower between the tribe must be pretty horrible given some of them don't know how to flush or clean up after themselves.
I think its possibly against all the planning and local by-laws for the number of contestants in the house at the start.

Sharing beds is also a problem - that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. The BB contestants put up with hell for the experience.

Not for me thanks! Not at any fee!
Angelika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:30 PM #7

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

The homely element is interesting as with this series particularly the aesthetics of the house push housemates to make use of the large main living space and the snug.

The bedroom largely consists of greys and blacks, quite neutral and unfriendly colours. The bedroom is the space where you should be most comfortable although in the Big Brother house this year it does the total opposite from the decoration angle.

Then you move onto the living area which tries to feel more homely and uses warmer colours, although that in itself also forms a contrast with a large open area, not allowing you to hide anywhere.

Then finally you have a space at the end of the spectrum which is the snug. It has warm colours, it's friendly, inviting and it's clearly a space that was designed and decorated to allow people to open up more and to bitch about other housemates. The snug being such a tight space can also make housemates feel protected, like it's a bubble where words they speak will remain hidden in there.

I'm not so sure if the designers intend it truly that way, although it's interesting how the house is designed to have several key areas that can push you to stay more in certain rooms. A lot of what we see in the current house has been used several times over Big Brother's history.

Personally I liked it when we used to have houses with separate rooms, but the rooms had glass walls separating them. I wish they would bring a design back like that, as it can be quite disorientating and still housemates will never feel like they have a space to escape to. A small welcoming area like the snug is always necessary in my eyes, there always has to be one small space that people feel like they can get things off their chests. The element of two bedrooms in the past has been an interesting one too, it creates a forceful divide with a big group of people and I'm surprised that design hasn't been adopted again.
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
Having one toilet and shower between the tribe must be pretty horrible given some of them don't know how to flush or clean up after themselves.
I think its possibly against all the planning and local by-laws for the number of contestants in the house at the start.

Sharing beds is also a problem - that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else. The BB contestants put up with hell for the experience.

Not for me thanks! Not at any fee!
I always thought there was 3 toilets. One in the bedroom (Chloe and Jeremy incident), one in the main bathroom, and I thought there was one somewhere in the living area too in between the kitchen and seating area, although I could very well be wrong about the 3rd one. I think there was one there in the last civilian BB.

Does Katie Hopkins bedroom have one? Secret rooms in the past have had their own bathroom so if one of those has been converted into Katie's room it might have.

Yeah I'd hate to share a bed with a stranger though!
Pink Pegasus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
design, house