Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-03-2015, 12:45 PM #26

ITV1HD News has left Ed Milibands Live reply
and gone to debating the Budget in the Studio.

How Nice
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:45 PM #27

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Is It my imagination, or is Miliband getting worse at public speaking.
I can't count the times he repeats himself before actually getting his point across.

Time he went, he is no asset to the Labour Party, such a shame really.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:46 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Osborne has so, so much ammo here

balls has no chance

Its Not Balls
its that Horrid Voiced Labour Leader
moaning.

so much
one news dumped him
Old 18-03-2015, 12:47 PM #29

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
ITV1HD News has left Ed Milibands Live reply
and gone to debating the Budget in the Studio.

How Nice
You can't blame them..he is on a permanent loop.
Blah blah blah...and then the constant repeating himself
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:47 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Is It my imagination, or is Miliband getting worse at public speaking.
I can't count the times he repeats himself before actually getting his point across.

Time he went, he is no asset to the Labour Party, such a shame really.

Yes better to mute him
and put on subtitles
Old 18-03-2015, 12:54 PM #31
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Cider duty cut
yup

LT makes a saving on his beloved K cider
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 01:17 PM #32
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I am stunned at any beer and alcohol cut as to duty, the NHS is flooded with people with alcohol related problems, this govts; answer,make it cheaper.

Overall this was a neutral budget mixed with a fair amount of fantasy as to living standards for 'all'. as to recovery and growth.

I actually thought Ed Miliband made good points, in the house of commons, the noise is excruciating and overpowering.
It is hard for any politician, particularly when being yelled at to keep on track and ensure they get heard.
It happened to shadow Mnisters from the Conservatives when in opposition too from Labour members,no politician is immune from it.

I actually think for the vast majority of voters, this budget presentation will just go over their heads, too much technical jargon and not enough clear explanation.

The one thing most will notice is the main lie, that people are better off under this govt; then they were in 2010.
That was a really patronising own goal from the Chancellor.

Ed Miliband was right to, to point out, all his targets figures of the election campaign of 2010, have just about all been missed,as to growth, the deficit and time of assured strong recovery.
I say assured because when these took power there was already a recovery in place and growth of around 1% too, which was then completely eroded within 2 quarters and did not solidly return until 2014.

Of course he has had successes too, no one can deny from his perspective,he has the good of the country in his mind, it is how he plans to get there, tramping over the weakest, poorest and most vulnerable that make just about all his planned measures wrong.

Measures that didn't work for nearly 4 years before and ones that could again risk the recovery and growth there is now.
Half succeeding over 5 years with such severe policies all through, does not inspire confidence that they will work now over the same time again with even more severe cuts to be put in place.
No thank you, not for me.

The weakest, the poorest,te most vulnerable, sick and disabled,and also genuine jobseekers warrant a far better and more compassionate way of supporting them in work, out of work and who are incapable of work,especially those on 16 hour contracts and zero hour contracts too
Not forgetting the NHS, because quite frankly from all I heard today, he is going to have to save money on a great scale and there are only 2 things he can really hit, that is the NHS and Welfare spending.

Those that care about those things and in fairness and justice for the people they affect overall,need to think carefully about ever trusting this lot with those vulnerable issues again.
Cameron had a hidden agenda as to the NHS last time and I fear he has a bigger one this time, no matter what he says as to it.
He blatantly lied last time in the debates as to this issue and so I for one won't take his word on the NHS again.

It also really is time to stop tramping into the ground,those who are the most vulnerable, sick and disabled,I heard not a thing for them here at all today from the Chancellor.

Last edited by joeysteele; 18-03-2015 at 01:30 PM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 01:22 PM #33
You know my methods

You know my methods

Old 18-03-2015, 02:28 PM #34

First Time Buyers
save £12,000
and then they Get FREE £3,000

Thats the max amount you can save to get the Max Free Cash

Ref: Radio5 Live

That is a Great help

Last edited by arista; 18-03-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 02:57 PM #35

Osborne's 'Political' Pitch For Old And Young

http://news.sky.com/story/1447473/os...-old-and-young

[At the heart of his last Budget before the General Election,
Mr Osborne put a Help To Buy ISA, which would see the
Government contribute £50 for every £200 saved
towards a deposit on a first home - a 25% top-up.
And he announced savers would not have to pay tax
on the first £1,000 of their savings.
He also announced the level at which workers start paying
the 40p tax rate would increase above inflation from £42,385 to £43,300
and raised the level at which people start to pay income tax on earnings to £11,000.]

Last edited by arista; 18-03-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 03:57 PM #36

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I'm not moaning just making an observation as to planning and presenting a possible unnecessary budget.

They have known for years this election was to be held on May 7th, I see no point at all of presenting a budget just barely 2 or 3 weeks before parliament is to be ended until after the election.

No one has much idea what make up of govt; could be in power after May 7th, this budget could in all likelihood be rendered totally meaningless in just less than 8 weeks time.
I agree..........back in 2010 Osbourne delivered his own "emergency Budget" in June or July making the last labour one in May pointless.
Old 18-03-2015, 03:59 PM #37
-

-

Awesome. Now, when is it going to be possible for me to buy a 3 bed semi in my local area for less than £140,000? Oh that's not happening? Well then the first time buyers boost is completely ****ing useless isn't it! Huff, puff.

Though I might buy a flat, rent it out, and use the rent to pay a chunk of my own rent...

... That actually makes quite a lot of sense. At least then I might end up OWNING something rather than lining other people's pockets on the 1st of every month.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 04:01 PM #38
-

-

(basically what I'm saying is, anyone who can afford to be a first time buyer AT ALL doesn't need a handout)
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 04:08 PM #39

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am stunned at any beer and alcohol cut as to duty, the NHS is flooded with people with alcohol related problems, this govts; answer,make it cheaper.

Overall this was a neutral budget mixed with a fair amount of fantasy as to living standards for 'all'. as to recovery and growth.

I actually thought Ed Miliband made good points, in the house of commons, the noise is excruciating and overpowering.
It is hard for any politician, particularly when being yelled at to keep on track and ensure they get heard.
It happened to shadow Mnisters from the Conservatives when in opposition too from Labour members,no politician is immune from it.

I actually think for the vast majority of voters, this budget presentation will just go over their heads, too much technical jargon and not enough clear explanation.

The one thing most will notice is the main lie, that people are better off under this govt; then they were in 2010.
That was a really patronising own goal from the Chancellor.

Ed Miliband was right to, to point out, all his targets figures of the election campaign of 2010, have just about all been missed,as to growth, the deficit and time of assured strong recovery.
I say assured because when these took power there was already a recovery in place and growth of around 1% too, which was then completely eroded within 2 quarters and did not solidly return until 2014.

Of course he has had successes too, no one can deny from his perspective,he has the good of the country in his mind, it is how he plans to get there, tramping over the weakest, poorest and most vulnerable that make just about all his planned measures wrong.

Measures that didn't work for nearly 4 years before and ones that could again risk the recovery and growth there is now.
Half succeeding over 5 years with such severe policies all through, does not inspire confidence that they will work now over the same time again with even more severe cuts to be put in place.
No thank you, not for me.

The weakest, the poorest,te most vulnerable, sick and disabled,and also genuine jobseekers warrant a far better and more compassionate way of supporting them in work, out of work and who are incapable of work,especially those on 16 hour contracts and zero hour contracts too
Not forgetting the NHS, because quite frankly from all I heard today, he is going to have to save money on a great scale and there are only 2 things he can really hit, that is the NHS and Welfare spending.

Those that care about those things and in fairness and justice for the people they affect overall,need to think carefully about ever trusting this lot with those vulnerable issues again.
Cameron had a hidden agenda as to the NHS last time and I fear he has a bigger one this time, no matter what he says as to it.
He blatantly lied last time in the debates as to this issue and so I for one won't take his word on the NHS again.

It also really is time to stop tramping into the ground,those who are the most vulnerable, sick and disabled,I heard not a thing for them here at all today from the Chancellor.
Joey...............THEY DON'T CARE.......they really couldn't give a fig about the lower working classes and below. They know Labour do not have a cat in hell's chance of winning this election let alone winning enough enough seats to form a Labour Govt.

With SNP decimating the Labour MP's in Scotland and UKIP doing the same thing in the North of England Labour will probably have about 75 MP's or less than they had 5 years ago. The Tories know they are onto a winner albeit in another coalition so this Budget was crowing at its best.

Such a shame though as the Tories have not really demonstrated they have the right formula for recovery and a lot of their numbers and forecasts are suspect as has already been discussed in earlier posts.

I think the next govt will be Cons led coalition poss with SNP's and UKIP and mayber the Lib Dems but it will be 80% Tory with the same faces in the senior cabinet positions.

Last edited by Nedusa; 18-03-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 05:15 PM #40
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
Joey...............THEY DON'T CARE.......they really couldn't give a fig about the lower working classes and below. They know Labour do not have a cat in hell's chance of winning this election let alone winning enough enough seats to form a Labour Govt.

With SNP decimating the Labour MP's in Scotland and UKIP doing the same thing in the North of England Labour will probably have about 75 MP's or less than they had 5 years ago. The Tories know they are onto a winner albeit in another coalition so this Budget was crowing at its best.

Such a shame though as the Tories have not really demonstrated they have the right formula for recovery and a lot of their numbers and forecasts are suspect as has already been discussed in earlier posts.

I think the next govt will be Cons led coalition poss with SNP's and UKIP and mayber the Lib Dems but it will be 80% Tory with the same faces in the senior cabinet positions.

Interesting post as yours always are Nedusa, I don't share your pessimism of Labour's chances.
I still think that despite Ed Miliband, they could easily be the largest party.
No way do I see them having less than 200 seats as you mention in your post, in fact I think the 'minimum' they will win, even with the losses in Scotland will be around 280.
Labour would need to be under 25% in the voting to possibly fall under 200 seats.

I don't think UKIP will do that well in Labour held seats either, they will for sure move into a good 2nd place in a lot of them and put up a formidable challenge in some but actually winning them,I doubt that will happen in more than 3 to 4 seats at the most.

The SNP will never under any circumstances prop up a Conservative govt; even as a supply and vote arrangement.

It is still a fact that regardless of where UKIP may get, that the Conservatives need to be at least 6% ahead of Labour to be sure of the smallest possible overall majority.
With the Labour position in Scotland at present, although I expect votes to return to Labour by May,I accept Labour will lose seats to the SNP but that really doesn't bother me.
I myself would love a Labour led govt; with SNP support, not a full coalition but there on major legislative votes and confidence issues.

I actually can see the SNP having with its gains from Labour and also the Lib Dems, around 35 to 44 seats min. in Scotland.

I also can see both the Conservatives and Labour having around 285 upwards of seats each too.

This could actually leave parliament in the situation where no party could govern without some agreement with the SNP.
Knowing the strong anti Conservative make up from other parties in the house of commons,this would really leave the SNP supporting Labour along with Plaid Cymru and the SDLP in Northern Ireland.
Sinn Fein who have 5 seats at present never take their seats in westminster so that means only 323 seats are needed for an overall majority.

I think there is still a mountain to climb for the Conservatives to be in govt; again and with a vastly depleted Lib Dem representation likely too, that chance seems ever slimmer.

Whatever happens whether it is more your idea in your post or more near mine, as long as the Conservatives again fail to get an overall majority then I will be content.
Also the more parties needed to get to a governing majority,the better for me too, as every seat further away from an overall majority for this Conservative party and this hopeless PM,will be acceptable to me and in the long run, better for the UK too in my view.

Last edited by joeysteele; 18-03-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 05:38 PM #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post

I think the next govt will be Cons led coalition poss with SNP's and UKIP and maybe the Lib Dems but it will be 80% Tory with the same faces in the senior cabinet positions.
Yes Far better
than fecking Labours
2 EDs who were in the last Tragic
13 years of Stinking New Labour
Old 18-03-2015, 06:07 PM #42

funny I was watching an old, spitting image, ep, about the budget, with thatcher in their, and norman tebbit, the leather clad skin head, hitting nigel lawson, with a police baton,and making him cave in, to signing her name the the budget book,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 07:21 PM #43

Joey
look at these 2 Nice women in
Plymouth

I recorded this from Ch4HDNews Live

Last edited by arista; 18-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 07:34 PM #44
You know my methods

You know my methods

very wise ladies with good business heads

not foxed by milliband and his 2 kitchens
Old 18-03-2015, 07:35 PM #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
very wise ladies with good business heads

not foxed by milliband and his 2 kitchens

Bang On Right LT
Old 18-03-2015, 08:08 PM #46
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Joey
look at these 2 Nice women in
Plymouth

I recorded this from Ch4HDNews Live
So what am I supposed to take from that, one of them was already going to vote Conservative anyway and the other likely was too.
Hardy surprising there's no change at that, however, I watched a clip from marginal Lancaster,where there was far less enthusiasm for the Chancellor's budget.

There are still around a third of voters at least likely to vote Conservative arista, the law of averages will mean such people will easily be found.

It is however quite pleasing and surprising too, to hear Conservative voters going on about the minimum wage being increased as a good thing, considering that without a Labour govt; the minimum wage would 'never' have probably been introduced in the UK by a Conservative govt; since they claimed mass unemployment would have been the result if it ever was.

Those 2 don't impress me at all, I thought like them just over 5 years ago myself as to the Conservatives,certainly not now however and never while Cameron or any other leader that thinks like him is leader.

Last edited by joeysteele; 18-03-2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 08:35 PM #47

"Those 2 don't impress me at all,"

so Out of Touch
you are.
Old 18-03-2015, 08:38 PM #48
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Last set of lies, half truths and untruths from a party that has done more to damage this country to line their own pockets than any other government.
That was the biggest load of twaddle I've ever heard.... but cider is down plebs! just sit in your bedsit in hull and suck on your apple flavoured chemicals until it's time to get back on the wheel serf.
Roll on the debates, I don't think Ed could believe his ears to be fair... every fibre of his being would have wanted to scream 'nobody would be stupid enough to believe this lot surely'!!?

"People are £1,600 a year worse off, the next generation has seen wages plummet and tuition fees treble.
"You have built fewer homes than at any time for nearly 100 years.
"And it's certainly not a truly national recovery when there are more zero hours contracts than the population of Glasgow, Leeds and Cardiff combined.
"That is the reality of the lives of working people.
"These are the facts, these are the inconvenient truths of his record - it's a recovery for the few from a Government of the few."

Bang on right.

Last edited by Kizzy; 18-03-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 08:39 PM #49
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
"Those 2 don't impress me at all,"

so Out of Touch
you are.
We will see after May 7th and what is the next govt; following the 'voters' decision.

Until then I am as out of touch as you would be if it was true,which is not at all.
I am surprised you join the bandwagon and make such a cheap jibe at me actually just because I happen to be supporting a different side of the political arguments and party than yourself.

Last edited by joeysteele; 18-03-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 18-03-2015, 08:45 PM #50
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Last set of lies, half truths and untruths from a party that has done more to damage this country to line their own pockets than any other government.
That was the biggest load of twaddle I've ever heard.... but cider is down plebs! just sit in your bedsit in hull and suck on your apple flavoured chemicals until it's time to get back on the wheel serf.
Roll on the debates, I don't think Ed could believe his ears to be fair... every fibre of his being would have wanted to scream 'nobody would be stupid enough to believe this lot surely'!!?
The campaign is going to be more interesting than I believed it would be.
I also still believe too that Ed Miliband can really make the argument in the campaign.

Although I hate personal attacks, on a programme it was said by a political pundit as to the Conservatives making constant personal attacks on Miliband.
'Insults come against someone when they are feared'.

I still think that is why Cameron will not face him head on too.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
11am, bbc2hd, budget, skynewshd