Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-04-2015, 07:49 PM #1
Z

Z

Default North Korea

What do we all think of North Korea? Atrocities on par with (or perhaps worse than) the Holocaust are alleged to be taking place in North Korea and have been since the Hermit Kingdom was founded - some liken it to a cult, with the way its people hero worship the Kim family...

Do you think the world at large should invade and liberate these people? Should we leave them be and see what happens next? Do you think they really will use nuclear weapons on the US/South Korea/Japan? Do you believe the words of people who manage to defect from the North and tell stories of horrific conditions or do you think they've cottoned onto the fact that people will believe anything and everything that is said about North Korea and have decided to tell lies/exaggerate stories to make money, as is the case with Shin Dong-hyuk? Do you think the people who live there know that they are being fed lies and propaganda or do you think they've all been brainwashed?
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:54 PM #2
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

I don't know a lot exactly about North Korea other than the fact that they brainwash their people, but right now I don't think war is something to be investing into. We have people struggling to make ends meet and that has to be a priority imo.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:06 PM #3
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

The only thing I like about North Korea is that it borders China, and no matter what China may still secretly think of the West,it will not want,or maybe even let, North Korea kick off too much in any way,being so close.

I think it sad it has such a regime ruling it as South Korea is a world away from being anything like it,yet being the same people in effect really.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:29 PM #4
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

It's incredible the level of secrecy they are able to maintain really in today's world, it's very hard to know anything for certain about it besides what they willingly show in their state news and official releases, which do a pretty good job of discrediting themselves on their own tbh. A lot of the other things we hear are often anecdotal and stories from defectors which are hard to corroborate and should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

Said this in the nuclear weapons thread but I do think that North Korea have shielded themselves from any invasion or external attempt at regime change, I can't see the Kims going the way of Saddam, Gaddafi etc. unless its their own people or their government implodes from within.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:33 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Fascinating country. Would recommend the book Nothing to Envy.
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 09:43 PM #6
filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

North Korea is like one of those families that you read about, the parents don't properly feed or educate their children. It's a horrible situation and something has to change. Should other countries invade there and make it a better place? I don't think it would work, change has to come from within.

And as for people there, most are too terrified to speak out against the regime and the others kinda have drank the kool-aid, they probably believe that their leader is some god.
Old 13-04-2015, 10:00 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):

Yes let's invade them and bring democracy to them, may cost a couple of million lives but so what , I mean they're only Korean and not even the good Koreans at that.
Old 13-04-2015, 11:09 PM #8
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
It's incredible the level of secrecy they are able to maintain really in today's world, it's very hard to know anything for certain about it besides what they willingly show in their state news and official releases, which do a pretty good job of discrediting themselves on their own tbh. A lot of the other things we hear are often anecdotal and stories from defectors which are hard to corroborate and should probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

Said this in the nuclear weapons thread but I do think that North Korea have shielded themselves from any invasion or external attempt at regime change, I can't see the Kims going the way of Saddam, Gaddafi etc. unless its their own people or their government implodes from within.

This sums it up really. I see any news broadcasts from NK as a kind of pantomime. Its all done to create an impression for their own citizens more than anything else.

They also have a very strong hold on their people so the chances of an organised uprising are pretty close to zero. It would need regime change initiated by someone in control of the armed forces and if it did change it would be along very similar lines as it is now.

NK need China and Russia to a much lesser extent, so any form of controls are best to come from them.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 11:14 PM #9

every time the west puts sanctions on north korea, the people starve, because they cut the food, china controls the north, and kim jong-un is just a puppet leader, when the south was under military junta in the 80s, the people took control of the cites, and beg america for help, but who did reegan support, not the people, but the junta leaders,USA democracy in iraq was bombing shooting at people, and stealing oil to plundering iraqi artifacts dating back as far as the surmerian age,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 11:33 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

It's a disgrace.Seen a few hidden camera type documentaries.The people are starving.If they are heard speaking out against the regime they get executed,They can't leave the country.Any modern buildings or attractions are for show and are deserted until a camera crew turns up there.There is a modern looking city on the border to SK which is supposed to be 'The perfect city' but is actually totally deserted.
It's not even 2015 in NK,The year is 104.Year 1 was 1912 when Kim Il Sung was born.
Most of the people are brainwashed into believing that Kim Jong is a god with super human powers and that America is their sworn enemy.
I don't think we should wade in there.Look at the mess we leave behind in other countries we try to 'make better'.Let's hope they never attack South Korea because that would be a war we would more than likely be involved in.The US would definately 100% go in if that ever happened.
They keep posturing to try and show their military might when the truth is that they are a very poor country with a massive army and nukes.
They should spend that money on developing the country and feeding the people.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 13-04-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 07:59 AM #11

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):

http://aplus.com/a/north-korea-yeonm...WVxLrq8&ref=ns

Heartbreaking.......please watch the video
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 10:14 AM #12
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Terrifying.

I work with someone who's been in to North Korea several time during the current megalomaniac's reign, and during the previous megalomaniac's reign. And his opinion? Terrifying.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 10:28 AM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire View Post
every time the west puts sanctions on north korea, the people starve, because they cut the food, china controls the north, and kim jong-un is just a puppet leader, when the south was under military junta in the 80s, the people took control of the cites, and beg america for help, but who did reegan support, not the people, but the junta leaders,USA democracy in iraq was bombing shooting at people, and stealing oil to plundering iraqi artifacts dating back as far as the surmerian age,
I think the West is playing the North Korea issue all wrong. Instead of punishing the regime for it's actions which as you say results in the average North Korean being punished for the actions of it's mad leadership, it should instead supply copious quantities of Food Aid and all normal household goods including some luxury goods including radios,TV's Computers etc...

If the people in NK start to feel better about themselves and have some limited access to the outside World then dissent and disobediance will grow in the masses.

It is well known that a few people well armed and well organised can control and even brutalise large numbers of dispirited and browbeaten citizens. We have seen this in many fascist regimes where a few can control the many ie Nazi Germany, East Germany, Cambodia.

But if the North Koreans do not have to worry about food so much then maybe they can see they are being brainwashed and manipulated, possibly some parts of the Army might be more progressive and perhaps at some point a coup could be on the cards.

I think the West needs to change strategies with NK and try other methods to engage this brutalised nation.

Last edited by Nedusa; 14-04-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Nedusa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 12:01 PM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Terrifying.

I work with someone who's been in to North Korea several time during the current megalomaniac's reign, and during the previous megalomaniac's reign. And his opinion? Terrifying.
I agree Livia, yet something inside me is compelled to go there and see it for myself, i'd probably end up being executed for orchestrating a mass uprising
Old 14-04-2015, 12:53 PM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
I agree Livia, yet something inside me is compelled to go there and see it for myself, i'd probably end up being executed for orchestrating a mass uprising
Or maybe your mass uprising would be successful and you'd end up being their leader.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:03 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Or maybe your mass uprising would be successful and you'd end up being their leader.
Lol

It would end up a huge hippy complex

Peace, love and no war!
Old 14-04-2015, 01:16 PM #17
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Let's face it Ruby, whatever you did with it, it'd be a step up from what it is now! I could stand a fortnight of hippy love and peace. Let me know how it goes.
Old 14-04-2015, 01:47 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Let's face it Ruby, whatever you did with it, it'd be a step up from what it is now! I could stand a fortnight of hippy love and peace. Let me know how it goes.
Lol

I wouldn't mind instigating the mass uprising, but they can lead their own country!

I have wondered though why the world hasn't intervened, and they let this mad man oppress and dictate the people of North Korea, i read that when they do have a general election there is only 1 candidate to vote for.......what's the point in that?
Old 14-04-2015, 02:14 PM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I think the West is playing the North Korea issue all wrong. Instead of punishing the regime for it's actions which as you say results in the average North Korean being punished for the actions of it's mad leadership, it should instead supply copious quantities of Food Aid and all normal household goods including some luxury goods including radios,TV's Computers etc...

If the people in NK start to feel better about themselves and have some limited access to the outside World then dissent and disobediance will grow in the masses.

It is well known that a few people well armed and well organised can control and even brutalise large numbers of dispirited and browbeaten citizens. We have seen this in many fascist regimes where a few can control the many ie Nazi Germany, East Germany, Cambodia.

But if the North Koreans do not have to worry about food so much then maybe they can see they are being brainwashed and manipulated, possibly some parts of the Army might be more progressive and perhaps at some point a coup could be on the cards.

I think the West needs to change strategies with NK and try other methods to engage this brutalised nation.
Very sadly, it's unlikely that the NK regime would accept aid like that from the west to be supplied to the people, for exactly the reasons that you outline really. It might make many of them think too much about what's being done to them.

The second part of the problem being that the reason for the people being so poor / starving, is that NK spends an absolutely huge proportion of it's GDP on the military. I don't think the exact figures are known but estimates range from 16% right up to a whopping 33% (compared to 2% here, and 4% in the US).

Which essentially means that, unlike other countries where the people are exceptionally poor, the NK can actually dictate what does and doesn't get into the country.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 02:43 PM #20
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
Lol

It would end up a huge hippy complex

Peace, love and no war!
Awesome. It'd be a much happier country. Please do the same to England

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote