Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-05-2015, 12:18 AM #1

Default Take us with you Scotland.

I would love this to happen. I have far more in common with Scotland and the north than i ever will with London and the south.

https://www.change.org/p/the-uk-gove...-join-scotland

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.u...rder-1-7261799

Quote:
WHEN Scotland narrowly voted against independence last year the plea to Scots from the south of the border was “let’s stay together” but now for thousands in the North of England it has become “take us with you.”

More than 20,000 have signed the online petition calling for the North to join an independent Scotland and the number is still soaring.

Where the new North/South divide could be.
Where the new North/South divide could be.
But perhaps the most surprising thing is how well it is being received by Scots themselves. The general consensus on Twitter from Scottish nationalists is that the North of England would be more than welcome.

As one tweet says: “The North/South divide isn’t anywhere remotely near Hadrian’s Wall - it’s somewhere just south of Sheffield.”

The #TakeUsWithYouScotland petition was launched on the change.org website. It claims the politics of Westminister is becoming “increasingly irrelevant to the North where people feel greater affinity with their counterparts such as Glasgow and Edinburgh than with the ideologies of the London-centric south.

It says: “The needs and challenges of the north cannot be understood by the endless parade of old Etonions lining the frontbenches of the House of Commons. The north of England should join the newly independent Scotland and regain control over its own destiny. We, the people of the north, demand that in the event that Scotland becomes independent the border between England and the New Scotland be drawn along a line that runs between the River Dee and the mouth of The Humber.”

It has struck a chord with thousands from the North of England on Twitter this evening.

And support for the idea doesn’t stop there.

Rhod Vaughan tweeted earlier this evening “#TakeUsWithYouScotland Wales wants in too!! As a Welshman living in Sheffield I know what progress we could all make together!”

While Sue Haswell ‏adds: “I’m in Devon, it’s warm here, and beautiful.. But: #TakeUsWithYouScotland.”

For many it has been a reaction to the General Election result and a feeling that the Conservatives are not a party of the North. But among the thousands of tweets and signatures there is also just a sense that the North of England has more in common with Scotland than of anything below the Watford Gap.

One of the petitioners, Martyn Whyte from Whitby says: “I’m signing this because I can’t face another five years of Thatcherism. Plus Scotland is just as cool, friendly and pretty as the North of England. And those Westminster suits don’t deserve it!”

Many local politicians in the North of England will look on enviously at the devolved powers Scotland has been able to secure and perhaps wonder what could be achieved by a huge Northern powerhouse.

And as for Scotland? Well at the very least Leeds and the rest of Yorkshire could certainly help them with their bid to win the Tour De France after pipping them to the post last year.

Last edited by billy123; 15-05-2015 at 12:34 AM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 12:24 AM #2
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Leeds agrees #takeuswithyou
Old 15-05-2015, 12:25 AM #3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

don't suppose the south-west can latch onto this plan as well? (Not that they haven't just voted entirely blue except for Exeter...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 12:31 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
don't suppose the south-west can latch onto this plan as well? (Not that they haven't just voted entirely blue except for Exeter...)
No... I hear France is nice
Old 15-05-2015, 12:55 AM #5
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

eww no thanks

y'all can all happily piss off to scotland. i wont be crying. esp over shaun, good fking riddance!!!
Old 15-05-2015, 08:13 AM #6
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Yes I think we can agree to that
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:22 AM #7
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Liverpool actually in with a shot of winning the Premiership (in Scotland)
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:25 AM #8
x

Favourites:
CBB21: Shane Jenek

x

Favourites:

could they take a little bit of the south west whilst they're at it?

Jay. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:26 AM #9
x

Favourites:

x

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
oh

Jay. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:53 AM #10
You know my methods

You know my methods

None shall pass

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:56 AM #11
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

If Scotland were to be independent, I would certainly love to move there, it would likely,for a start, always have a govt; that had compassion and fair social justice at the heart of its policies now.

I am further North in the UK than from Worcestershire, where I lived with my Parents until going to Uni in 2010.
I have stayed there and for sure would vote for the opportunity for most areas North of the Midlands to join Scotland were it independent.

I just remain totally dismayed,that in the main the far South of England gets to decide election results,and which I still believe in time, despite the devolvement of some powers to regions,will end up dictating to the remainder of the UK still too.

The UK,likely is heading for massive break up, if the EU referendum gets a no vote, Northern Ireland,and Wales too will be like Scotland, furious.
I hate to say it but really the worst enemy of England, is England itself right now in my opinion, mainly because it allows govts; to be elected that never accept they should listen and consult more, rather than dictate and use power to divide and conquer rather than unite.

So yes, I am too all for joining the Scots.

Last edited by joeysteele; 15-05-2015 at 11:06 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 09:19 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
If Scotland were to be independent, I would certainly love to move there, it would likely,for a start, always have a govt; that had compassion and fair social justice at the heart of its policies now.

I am further North in the UK than from Worcestershire, where I lived with my Parents until going to Uni in 2010.
I have stayed there and for sure would vote for the opportunity for most areas North of the Midlands to join Scotland were it independent.

I just remain totally dismayed,that in the main the far South of England gets to decide election results,and which I still believe in time, despite the devolvement of some powers to regions,will end up dictating to the remainder of the UK still too.

The UK,likely is heading for massive break up, if the EU referendum gets a no vote, Northern Ireland,and Wales too will be like Scotland, furious.
I hate to say it but really the worst enemy of England, is England itself right now in my opinion, mainly because it gets govts; that never accept they should listen and consult more, rather than dictate and use power to divide and conquer rather than unite.

So yes, I am too all for joining the Scots.
I am currently having a serious discussion with my other half about moving back to Scotland. I lived in a town near Aberdeen for a couple of years and managed to snare a local and smuggle her into England a fair few years ago.
I think an escape back north of the border might be on the cards. I just dont think i can stomach 5 years of these wankers.

Last edited by billy123; 15-05-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 15-05-2015, 09:33 AM #13
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Signed

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 09:40 AM #14
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
I am currently having a serious discussion with my other half about moving back to Scotland. I lived in a town near Aberdeen for a couple of years and managed to snare a local and smuggle her into England about.
I think an escape back north of the border might be on the cards. I just dont think i can stomach 5 years of these wankers.
I understand that completely,I am feeling that way too.

I am waiting to see what happens in the EU referendum,if it is to come out then also if Scotland is not going for independence then, I will be off to another EU country anyway.
Old 15-05-2015, 09:46 AM #15
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I am currently having a serious discussion with my other half about moving back to Scotland. I lived in a town near Aberdeen for a couple of years and managed to snare a local and smuggle her into England a fair few years ago.
And you have the cheek to accuse other people of having an I'm alright Jack attitude what about these neighbours you care about so much?
Old 15-05-2015, 10:05 AM #16
-

-

Quote:
How dare you! Not content with plundering our natural resources, now you're after our women, too!

...it's OK, I've rebalanced everything. My wife is English. By birth only though, she's Scottish in her heart these days .

We did actually live in England for a couple of years when we had our first daughter... but we packed up and moved back north as soon as I could secure a work transfer. Seems like a pretty sound decision now. I mean, of course we're all pretty much ****ed, but the Holyrood buffer between us and Westminster is better than nothing!
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:07 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
And you have the cheek to accuse other people of having an I'm alright Jack attitude what about these neighbours you care about so much?
Im suprised at you to be honest. I expect that kind of thing from adamski as he doesnt know any better.
Im tired of it im just ****ing tired full stop.
What exactly are you suggesting? Not that its any of your business but donating to food banks only to see them looked at as a way that further cuts can be made because "someone else" is taking care of the poor makes me sick to my stomach.
The fact i have struck a nerve with the "Im alright Jack" comment says a lot.
Enjoy your day Cherie.
Old 15-05-2015, 10:09 AM #18
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Caring about your neighbours doesn't mean dragging yourself down with them for the sake of equality, surely? "Oh my neighbour is worse off than me, I better deliberately make myself poorer so that it's fair".
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:14 AM #19

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

No thanks.
Leave North Yorkshire out of it, just give us a wave as you pass by Whitby in your passenger ships.
Hopefully the North /South divide will improve business wise now we are getting the Northern Powerhouse. My MP has been made one of the ministers for it, David Cameron was up here the other day, his first official day out since he became PM for his second term.
Personally I think we have it much better up North when I see all that overcrowding down south and those horrific rent prices.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:16 AM #20
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

I have to agree that regions need to be more reflective of their political leanings. The UK in its current form is unsustainable. We are at the point now where no matter who is in charge 30% + of voters will be pissed with the result.

If times were good, it wouldn't be an issue as everyone would have a job, good housing and food on the table, but no matter the government, that's not going to be the situation for a very very long time. I'm all for a federal UK
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 10:26 AM #21
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Im suprised at you to be honest. I expect that kind of thing from adamski as he doesnt know any better.
Im tired of it im just ****ing tired full stop.
What exactly are you suggesting? Not that its any of your business but donating to food banks only to see them looked at as a way that further cuts can be made because "someone else" is taking care of the poor makes me sick to my stomach.
The fact i have struck a nerve with the "Im alright Jack" comment says a lot.
Enjoy your day Cherie.

Look we all do what we have to for our families Bob and I wish you we'll whatever you decide, but you did come on here all guns blazing saying people who voted Tory just don't care, I disagree with that sentiment as I feel there were many reasons that The Tories won the election and it doesn't all boil down to people not caring, I really struggled with who to vote for this time out, I live in a safe Labour seat so my choice was made for me really, but I can understand why people who might not normally vote for them did.
Old 15-05-2015, 10:29 AM #22
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Caring about your neighbours doesn't mean dragging yourself down with them for the sake of equality, surely? "Oh my neighbour is worse off than me, I better deliberately make myself poorer so that it's fair".
That wasn't my point at all.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:18 AM #23
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Well we have a govt; obsessed with referendums,so why not have a 2nd Scottish independence one too, and while they are having same, allow a referendum across the regions of England to see if more Northern parts of England would prefer to be part of Scotland now.

If it was the case some areas supported such a move, this lot could then govern continuously and happily in its heartless.selfish,discriminatory way for as long as it liked, as long as it continued to make sure the affluent far South of England that keeps electing it,was still looked after.

Last edited by joeysteele; 15-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 15-05-2015, 12:15 PM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Have an austerity and human rights referendum... nobody that was so against these virulent proposals would be so desperate to distance themselves from the origin of the concept geographically then.
Old 15-05-2015, 12:22 PM #25
Banned

Banned

Can the West Midlands come too?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
scotland