Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB16 Big Brother 16 aka Big Brother: Timebomb started 12th May 2015, and was won by Chloe Wilburn. Discuss the housemates and show in this forum.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
BB15: Mark
Default I cannot see no way back

I am a huge Big Brother fan since my good friend and I were required to study the show for General Studies back in sixth form in 2000 when the series began.

I watched as we all did as the series grew and housemates like Kate went on to become presenter of Channel 4 show RI:SE, Jon Tickle became a contributor to Brainac, Jade launched her own perfume and had her own television shows and Alison has been on This Morning for years.

The show gave opportunities to members of the public which were undreamed off. Friendships were formed, sometimes there would be tears but there would be a lot of fun along the way.

It could be argued Channel 4 tired of the format the same they did of their other success The Big Breakfast which was similarly as ground breaking.

Whatever Channel 4 say, 10 million tuned into the final of Big Brother 3, ratings that the show have not bettered since.

When the show ended in 2010, people had fond memories of the series. It was a show that divided the nation. People loved to hate it and the last series and Ultimate Big Brother showed there was still life in the format.

Channel 5 then bought the rights to the show in March 2011 and promised 2 years of 2 Celebrity Big Brother series a year and a civilian Big Brother. Great, we thought as many put forward that a new channel could breathe new life into the franchise.

How wrong we have been. Big Brother has turned into a bastardized version of TOWIE and the insufferable incarnations of Geordie Shore and other shows of a similar name.

Gone are the days you would get housemates from auditions in the house. They are now seemingly plucked from agencies or have appeared from TV before.

The age group is now predominantly 18-30 and viewing figures are plummeting because there is too much manipulation from producers who do not know or care for Big Brother.

Timebomb has bombed and I am very concerned as a fan and someone who is creatively minded that this series could have killed Big Brother off altogether. Forums are awash with disaffection towards the producers for their mismanagement of the series, poorly executed and forgettable twists that have backfired spectacularly.

I do not know what you guys think but I cannot see no way back for this production team at least for Big Brother. They for me do not have any idea what to do and have alienated fans.

What do you think they need to do to save the civilian Big Brother?

1. Tone back Marcus Bentley- get rid of that stupid 10...9...8 and klaxon it's ridiculous
2. Have live tasks to determine the fate of housemates
3. Reintroduce live feed
4. Go back to live auditions
5. Have an evening magazine show, maybe the reintroduction of Big Brother's Little Brother as Big Brother's Big News on at 6pm on 5 or 5*
thediaryroomchair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM #2

Double negative!!!

Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM #3
baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

baddie

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
CBB22: Natalie Nunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Double negative!!!

I love becky.

armand.kay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:36 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jack
CBB15: Katie Hopkins

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediaryroomchair View Post
I am a huge Big Brother fan since my good friend and I were required to study the show for General Studies back in sixth form in 2000 when the series began.

I watched as we all did as the series grew and housemates like Kate went on to become presenter of Channel 4 show RI:SE, Jon Tickle became a contributor to Brainac, Jade launched her own perfume and had her own television shows and Alison has been on This Morning for years.

The show gave opportunities to members of the public which were undreamed off. Friendships were formed, sometimes there would be tears but there would be a lot of fun along the way.

It could be argued Channel 4 tired of the format the same they did of their other success The Big Breakfast which was similarly as ground breaking.

Whatever Channel 4 say, 10 million tuned into the final of Big Brother 3, ratings that the show have not bettered since.

When the show ended in 2010, people had fond memories of the series. It was a show that divided the nation. People loved to hate it and the last series and Ultimate Big Brother showed there was still life in the format.

Channel 5 then bought the rights to the show in March 2011 and promised 2 years of 2 Celebrity Big Brother series a year and a civilian Big Brother. Great, we thought as many put forward that a new channel could breathe new life into the franchise.

How wrong we have been. Big Brother has turned into a bastardized version of TOWIE and the insufferable incarnations of Geordie Shore and other shows of a similar name.

Gone are the days you would get housemates from auditions in the house. They are now seemingly plucked from agencies or have appeared from TV before.

The age group is now predominantly 18-30 and viewing figures are plummeting because there is too much manipulation from producers who do not know or care for Big Brother.

Timebomb has bombed and I am very concerned as a fan and someone who is creatively minded that this series could have killed Big Brother off altogether. Forums are awash with disaffection towards the producers for their mismanagement of the series, poorly executed and forgettable twists that have backfired spectacularly.

I do not know what you guys think but I cannot see no way back for this production team at least for Big Brother. They for me do not have any idea what to do and have alienated fans.

1. Tone back Marcus Bentley- get rid of that stupid 10...9...8 and klaxon it's ridiculous
3. Reintroduce live feed
5. Have an evening magazine show, maybe the reintroduction of Big Brother's Little Brother as Big Brother's Big News on at 6pm on 5 or 5*

"How wrong we have been. Big Brother has turned into a bastardized version of TOWIE and the insufferable incarnations of Geordie Shore and other shows of a similar name."

Could not agree more. Which is why a bed wetter/Helen type won. But only due to a final pass. Again due to C5.

The audience has dwindled and some want the type to win from the the type of shows that you have mentioned.

Last edited by abhorson; 05-07-2015 at 03:38 PM.
abhorson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:38 PM #5

If you cannot see no way back then that means you can see a way back.
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:39 PM #6
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz

T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Talifornia. Being another one!!
Old 05-07-2015, 03:44 PM #8

I do agree with the OP.

The show should just be renamed "The only way is love island in a house." I am actually surprised that the original inventors of the big brother idea will allow the name to be used on such garbage.

I would like to see some new reality programmes. I wish somebody in this country would give Survivor a chance after ITV abandoned it.

Last edited by ThriceShy; 05-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 PM #9

Favourites (more):
BB18: Chanelle
BBCanada 5: Kevin

Favourites (more):
BB18: Chanelle
BBCanada 5: Kevin

The Thorn Cottage Crew
Raph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:47 PM #10
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Saira Khan
Zakaccino

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Saira Khan

They need to properly go back to basics next year. Full live feed, very few nominations twists, proper casting with very few recruits and no more forced drama.

Spoiler:

zakman440 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:58 PM #11

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
BBUK is trash, I'm only still here watching because I've been such a huge fan for such a long time that it would be almost impossible to just... forget about it. I honestly reckon that if I'd never heard of it before and only just started watching it, I'd have given up after a couple of weeks. You're right - it resembles everything about modern day reality TV which I usually despise.

Quote:
3. Reintroduce live feed
I especially agree with #1 - the live shows are hilariously bad, from the lights everywhere to the dodgy camera angles to marcus screaming all night to the klaxons and sirens and sound effects and music everywhere, it's awful. I don't know if they think all these combine to create loads of excitement and tension but, if they do, they're greatly mistaken!!

Last edited by RichardG; 05-07-2015 at 04:00 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:05 PM #12
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Definitely the last series I'll watch.. I didn't watch BB15 because the cast was ridiculous, it seemed a tiny bit better this series but I realised that with C5, the cast could be incredible and the production will burn it alive. No point really. Still keen on CBB but **** the "civilian" show.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:08 PM #13

I've always liked the idea of a series where people are literally plucked off the street.

Bit like a streetdate thing where someone like davina just looks for interesting people walking about and invites them into big brother.

I suppose, in practice, it wouldn't work because they need all the psychological testing and most people would simply be boring on TV if they aren't screen tested first.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:08 PM #14
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton
mrmattybeck1

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Dappy
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:

3. Reintroduce live feed
Fantastic post op very well put im very concerned also how bad my once favourite show has become glad international big brother keeps me going
mrmattybeck1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I remember when BB11 was on thinking that series was abysmal, if only I knew what state the show would be in just 5 seasons later.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:11 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
I do agree with the OP.

The show should just be renamed "The only way is love island in a house." I am actually surprised that the original inventors of the big brother idea will allow the name to be used on such garbage.

I would like to see some new reality programmes. I wish somebody in this country would give Survivor a chance after ITV abandoned it.

We agree at last.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:13 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
I remember when BB11 was on thinking that series was abysmal, if only I knew what state the show would be in just 5 seasons later.
BB11 was very much like this series. They got so desperate that they put in sam pepper just to wind them up. Then they absolutely 100% fixed a Josie win by ensuring all of her competition were evicted in the week before the final.

It was probably my least favourite ever series.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM #18

I have to say, I can actually see Big Brother going back to its original format after this series. Channel 5 and endemol have tried to change the format around for the past three years to try and make it a better show bit it clearly hasn't worked. After all the backlash from these 3 years I can see them going back to the original format to see how peoples opinions of the show change and if viewing figures go back up.

Last edited by liampadams; 05-07-2015 at 04:21 PM.
liampadams is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM #19

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

ITV3. It should have been them, when they were in for it. Not dirty Desmond!
Old 05-07-2015, 04:49 PM #20
cancelled

cancelled

the problem is.........nothing matters...............yesterday i saw jack telling

BB to ******* off............and there appeared to be no repercussions

ciggies / alcohol appear to be delivered daily whatever making success in tasks

less important

end outside contact reinforce rules and put the big back in big brother

Mark L

Last edited by ebandit; 05-07-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: bigger
ebandit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:49 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post
the problem is.........nothing matters...............yesterday i saw jack telling

BB to ******* off............and there appeared to be no repercussions

ciggies / alcohol appear to be delivered daily whatever making success in tasks

less important

end outside contact reinforce rules and put the big back in brother

Mark L
There's no "big" in "brother" mate.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):