Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB16 Big Brother 16 aka Big Brother: Timebomb started 12th May 2015, and was won by Chloe Wilburn. Discuss the housemates and show in this forum.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 PM #1

Default Why do some people have a problem with gameplayers?

So, if I'm playing Monopoly for example, I really hope that the people I'm playing against lose. I want to get all the best properties for myself and bankrupt everyone as soon as possible. Even though they're my friends. Because it's a game. Does this make me a bad person?

Why do some people find it so offensive that a Big Brother contestant, who has applied to go on a gameshow, would want to, er, win the gameshow? Regarding Nick tonight, even if Chloe was his best friend in the whole world, all he's doing is pushing himself closer to the final and decreasing her chances of getting there, but in the context of this being a game (which they all want to win), why is that a bad thing? And why would it mean they can't still be friends? I genuinely don't get it, it'd be like playing tennis with someone that just stands there and doesn't hit the ball back (Chloe) because what, losing is admirable? Help me understand lol!

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:04 PM #2

It's because they are envious hypocrites who try to cover it up with fake moral outrage. I thought the point of a game was to try to win - apparently not judging by the ridiculous reaction to Nick after tonight's show.
jegmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 PM #3
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

For some reason the general public look down on "gameplayers" so the HMs will always try to not make it obvious they are such when they are in the UK version. It's pretty funny because gameplayers are loved over in US, although they have no public which honestly i find way better.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 PM #4

the main problem with games players are - it defeats the object- big brother is not a game is it ? sarcasm is the lowest form of whit sorry.
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:09 PM #5

I really don't understand it either. Especially in BB where it's pretty high-stakes, and winning the cash prize could be life-changing for some people, along with the pride of winning.

The only reason housemates get annoyed in those situations is because they're bitter that they are not playing the game well enough.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:10 PM #6

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhog View Post
the main problem with games players are - it defeats the object- big brother is not a game is it ? sarcasm is the lowest form of whit sorry.
Quote:
Big Brother is a reality game show franchise created by John de Mol and was originally based on a show from the Netherlands of the same name
yep
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 PM #7
0_o

0_o

Never understood this tbh

I have a problem with people acting all nicey nice. Sam, Harry and Jack ALL went down in my estimations tonight. Nick is going up quickly tbh

Him, Joel, and...Cristian (believe it or not ) seem the only ones willing to be honest
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:53 PM #8

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

I don't care about game players. Big Brother is part game show, part reality show. They're all playing a game. I have a problem with people who act fake or are attention-seeking - not because they are 'playing a game' but because I hate those kinds of people IRL as well as on TV. Nothing wrong with what Nick did at all, who cares. The endgoal of BB is to win it, so why not actively participate in the game that you're in?

BB17: Andy | BB16: Joel | BB15: Chris | BB14: Dexter/Gina | BB13: Adam/Luke A | BB12: Harry | BB11: -- | BB10: -- | BB9: -- | BB8: Brian | BB7: Pete | BB6: Derek | BB5: Daniel | BB4: Jon | BB3: Sandy | BB2: Brian | BB1: Anna
mrflibble is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:31 AM #9
Banned

Banned

Game players are the only ones worthy of winning.....as Marc said many times....
''I will F-CK their Fridays ''

Wish he was still in there
REDCROP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 AM #10
Banned

Banned

I do think that BBOTS play a big part in the breakdown of the show....they focus on what we think of the housemates as people and not as game players...they never ask the audience if someone is a good game player...the only ask if they are a good house mate...its almost like Big Brother are ashamed to call themselves a game show

I am ancient and have a good memory so i can tell you for fact....in BB 1....the housemates used to sing a tune with the words ''its only a gameshow, its only a gameshow'' AND BB BANNED THEM FROM SINGING IT...from that very moment to this very day it has remained the case....it is never referred to as a game show....and the idiot audience can barely walk and talk at the same time anyway so they're never gonna understand the concept of the show unless its fed to them by Rylan
REDCROP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:22 AM #11
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

To me it's always been more of a "watching these people interact with each other" show. I never used to be aware of gameplaying before I signed up here. It's pretty much ruined the show for me Everyone I'd have been quite happily supporting as nice folk are now written off as arse-kissers or fake or gameplaying. And obviously there isn't the total absolution of doubt about these housemates, now.

But I've never liked the US/other formats of the show because I don't find much enjoyment in people backstabbing and using tactics to win a cheque. In general I don't watch any reality TV that does that - I watch the Apprentice, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Bake-Off and all of those require skills to win. Admittedly, Big Brother does not , but I just generally prefer to see honest people do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 AM #12

Favourites (more):
BB16: Marc
BBCanada 3: Godfrey

Favourites (more):
BB16: Marc
BBCanada 3: Godfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegmeister View Post
It's because they are envious hypocrites who try to cover it up with fake moral outrage. I thought the point of a game was to try to win - apparently not judging by the ridiculous reaction to Nick after tonight's show.
Amen. It should be celebrated given the fact it IS a game.
Chilltown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:59 AM #13
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody

There are definitely a few different ways to Play The Game in BBUK, but most of the time this comes in people trying to control their public perception and usually in pretty gross ways. The people who desperately try to paint themselves as heroes are often anything but (which is very nauseating), and the people who desperately try to paint themselves as villains are ridiculously contrived, run of the mill, predictable assholes who emotionally terrorize everyone around them for attention and airtime to the point of self-parody (which might be even more nauseating.) Like, so many of the gameplayers we see today are a product of this hashtag/catchphrase/meme generation and I just find it all really overbearing and just for the sake of it. Give me a gameplayer like Lisa Wallace or Nick Bateman or pretty much anyone from the BB6 cast, because they are the type to operate entirely within the context of the house and are legitimate characters in their own right.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:08 AM #14
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I don't mind gameplayers as long as they're entertaining and have a certain level of likeability about them, if they're just try hards that are unlikeable then they can just **** off as far as I'm concerned.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 AM #15
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamBB View Post
So, if I'm playing Monopoly for example, I really hope that the people I'm playing against lose. I want to get all the best properties for myself and bankrupt everyone as soon as possible. Even though they're my friends. Because it's a game. Does this make me a bad person?
Why do some people find it so offensive that a Big Brother contestant, who has applied to go on a gameshow, would want to, er, win the gameshow? Regarding Nick tonight, even if Chloe was his best friend in the whole world, all he's doing is pushing himself closer to the final and decreasing her chances of getting there, but in the context of this being a game (which they all want to win), why is that a bad thing? And why would it mean they can't still be friends? I genuinely don't get it, it'd be like playing tennis with someone that just stands there and doesn't hit the ball back (Chloe) because what, losing is admirable? Help me understand lol!
...YES.....

..seriously though, I love to watch game-players, I find them much more interesting to watch than 'nice', but I think a lot of BB fans feel like that..but then again, I do think that virtually all if not all Channel 5 housemates are game-players, they just have different gameplay......what I don't like though is the 'manipulation'...one of my favourite housemates of all time is Arron Allard Morgan..a huge game-player and the very reason why I liked him so much, for his gameplay...but he was never given 'favours/advantages/immunities' etc..?...he played his game and won on his own merit completely, if that makes sense...so it's not the gameplaying as such, it's the manipulation of to keep more controversial characters in the series and by doing that, taking away so much from fans..'the possibility' of someone facing eviction that they don't like/or do like etc... a favourite or least favourite...oh how exciting that is/the build up to eviction night...

...anyways, with Nick..?...hmmm, yeahh, he's a gameplayer and has been throughout and so really nothing new now, so I don't really care because I don't dislike him for being a game-player as such...I dislike him for being a sleaze and someone who has shown very poor character for a large part of the series...no loyalty to anyone/it's all about Nick...so if he's showing that self centred/selfishness a lot now then don't stop us from 'hating on him' please......yeah, he's the sleaziest sleaze who happens to be a game-player is all...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 AM #16

The best game player I saw was Dexter because he game played in an overt fun way seeking to be seen as the villain we like to dislike.If he had not miscalculated and tried to walk away with 80k I still think he would have won the show and got the lot.

The game players I do not find attractive are the covert ones who attempt to present themselves as innocent participant's "ordinary people" only interested in the experience and there journey when all the time the money is there only objective.

Once exposed many of there supporters still praise the good game they have played conning other HMs and sometimes us yet I often feel otherwise.
Mick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM #17

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Benedict

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Martin Kemp
BB13: Benedict

It depends on how the game is played.
Game players have to strike that fine balance between being genuine, frank, honest and nonchalant. Any game player that presents as too one sided tends not get the winning votes.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM #18

Is Danny a game player I think so he cant string a sentence together and is he thick or just acting he didn't even no what Genuine meant when bb asked him.
Game player all the way.
Patricia4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:53 PM #19

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

I only like the ones who admit they are playing a game.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
gameplayers, people, problem